The 4-Hour Body / Slow-Carb Diet

Options

Replies

• mcferg
    mcferg Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    McFerg: can you link to this all in one PAGG?

http://www.paggstack.com/

I have no affiliation, and I have not taken them. I did order them, but haven't received them yet. It's 2 bottles actually - 1 "P" and 1 "AGG"....so you can take them as recommended. I'll need to review the book for timing, etc...
  • sasha_dirkson
    Options
    Thanks so much!!! I really appreciate it. I'll post my success.
  • sbracken
    Options

I'll need to review the book for timing, etc...

I have my cheat sheet with me.....AGG prior to meals (15 mins or so) and PAGG (or PAG with the Green Tea) prior to bed.
  • clb51
    clb51 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am starting today. I'm glad I found this forum. It's been helpful to read the different posts and get ideas and see the positive results that people are experiencing.
  • mcferg
    Options

I'll need to review the book for timing, etc...

I have my cheat sheet with me.....AGG prior to meals (15 mins or so) and PAGG (or PAG with the Green Tea) prior to bed.

Great, thanks! No idea when I'll receive it. I think it ships first class, so maybe a week. The book says you're supposed to take 1 day off per week, and one week off every 2 months. Since there's specific discussion in the damage control chapter of taking the PAGG during cheat day - do you know which day you're supposed to take off? I think I'd choose either the day before cheat day or the day after, as those tend to be the days when I eat the least.

BTW...after my cheat day yesterday I'm up 5 lbs. That's my biggest cheat day bloat since week 1 (6 lbs). I'm not concerned. I consumed a lot of sodium yesterday AND a lot of water, and that leads to much water retention. I'm sure by Wednesday or Thursday, I'll be back in business.
  • walkers345
    walkers345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mcferg, I purchased PAGG in separate pills. I've only been taking them on my cheat day ( I know that isn't ideal.) I think I'm just not ready to commit to 3 pills in the am and 4 pills in the pm. I already take Magnesium, Vitamin C, D and some probiotics. Sometimes, I also take DHEA and some coenz q10. it's quite a bit to remember. Anyways, I would recommend taking the PAGG when you may be eating more. In my 3 times taking the pills, I took them about 15 min. prior to a cheat meal(lunch) and OMG did it burn and make my empty stomach feel sick(until I ate). Whenever you decide to take them, I recommend taking them IMMEDIATELY before eating or during the meal.

On Another note, I bought my new scale today. I am trying to drink lots of water today to flush out my cheat day water weight. Tomorrow, we will see the damage.:sick:
  • mcferg
    Options
    In my 3 times taking the pills, I took them about 15 min. prior to a cheat meal(lunch) and OMG did it burn and make my empty stomach feel sick(until I ate). Whenever you decide to take them, I recommend taking them IMMEDIATELY before eating or during the meal.

On Another note, I bought my new scale today. I am trying to drink lots of water today to flush out my cheat day water weight. Tomorrow, we will see the damage.:sick:

Thanks for the head's up. I will start PAGG on the first cheat day after I get them. I don't tend to be bothered by taking things on an empty stomach that bother some people, but I'd rather be safe, since this is new. I'll ease into it.

As for the scale, keep in mind that, unless you're buying a medical-grade scale, there could be some variation between the two. This could be good or bad.
  • sbracken
    Options
    Morning!

I also order PAGG yesterday. I ended up going with the individual pills for each instead of the stack. I guess I feel like I have more control over exactly what I'm taking that way. I'm going to also pick up some tiny baggies to put the pills in to take to work with me during the day so I can take them before my 2 lunches. They shipped out this morning, but with the big "storm of the century" we're expecting I have no idea when they'll actually arrive. But I'm hoping to get them before Sun for my free day. Yep, I bumped my free day to Sunday this week.....Super Bowl party!!!!

walkers345, hope you can the new scale doesn't throw too much of a swing into your plan. I tested my new one against my old one. At night they were 3 lbs apart (new one read heavier) but in the morning they read the same. Go figure!

clb51, welcome to the 4HB plan! If you have any questions along the way, please ask! We're all here to support and encourage each other. As well as to see what others are doing and how they are progressing.

My 0.6lb gain is still with me from my free day. So I'm adding in the air squarts and wall presses today. I'll add in the arm pulls tonight when I get home before dinner and bed, just no room to do them here at work. And I can only imagine the looks I'd get if I walked into a conf room carrying an exercise band.

On another note, I was pleasently surprised to wake up to 3 new orders for my digital image this morning!!!!! It's been a VERY slow start, but it seems like things are really starting to gain some speed! Here's the my 4HWW!!!!
  • walkers345
    walkers345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So, I jumped on my scale this morning, and SHOCK, I was 1lb lighter than I was last week pre-cheat day. I didn't believe it, so I asked my husband, and he said he was down about 2 lbs from what our old scale said..BOOOOO. Oh well, So, that probably means I am about 1-2 lbs up from my lowest weight prior to cheat day, But it is only Tuesday afterall. Last week, it took me til Thursday to lose all the cheat weight plus .5lbs. I actually don't feel too bad, because I researched the scale through consumer reports and it was top ranked, so I guess that actually means, I was always about 2 lbs lighter than I thought?? I have to look on the bright side. :glasses:

You all have inspired me to start the PAGG. Do you think the green tea may make me jittery? I quit coffee months ago, so I don't know if a little caffeine every day will affect me.

I've been drinking water like there is no tomorrow. It really gets rid of the bloat.

Good luck this week everyone!

Sbracken, I am also going to bump my cheat day to Superbowl Sunday. Stay out of the snow :)
    It's going to get to 32 tonight in AZ, and we're all wearing parkas and moon boots! haha.

Stephanie
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I started 3 days ago officially.

Breakfast
    4 eggs
    1/3 can mixed beans
    spinach or asparagus

Lunch
    200g tuna
    1/2 can beans
    kimchi or mixed vegies
    2 tbsn salsa
    2 chillies
    (I spread this out as afternoon tea also)

Dinner
    same as lunch :P
    Sometimes a glass of red wine

Night time snack
    166g low fat cottage cheese
    1 tbsn natural pb

As well as this, doing the cold water when wakeup, morning KB swings, cold showers and have ordered some PAGG. Also have some CQ that I will use on cheat day this Saturday.

I'm not really expecting to lose much weight as I am already at a good weight I feel but would like to lose the last bit of fat. I'm not sure if I should be going to the "last mile" bit yet or not but I'll see how this goes for a while and see.

I also do resistance training (full body workout of compound exercises) 3 times a week and 3 mma sessions a week. (except this week because of injured ankle)

edit: Forgot to mention that I have my list of cheat foods sorted for Saturday :P
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    just posting so I can read this thread later.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm not following this diet, but I have been following something similar for the past few months based on some of the principals this diet is based on. Due to circumstances out of my control :wink:, I ended up cheating last Sunday. I went over by 1500 calories or so. It is now Wednesday, and much like mcferg I have lost all the cheat day weight.

Granted, my work outs are short, but intense, and my diet has been great the last three days.
  • sbracken
    Options
    Wow....right on time!!!! Cheated on Saturday and this morning that weight plus 0.2lbs is gone!!!!!! I did the air squarts/wall pushes/arm pulls yesterday before eating and made sure I polished off that gallon of water. I'm loving this diet!

Off to make breakfast....and then probably do some serious shoveling this morning.
  • mcferg
    Options
    Wow....right on time!!!! Cheated on Saturday and this morning that weight plus 0.2lbs is gone!!!!!! I did the air squarts/wall pushes/arm pulls yesterday before eating and made sure I polished off that gallon of water. I'm loving this diet!

Off to make breakfast....and then probably do some serious shoveling this morning.

Right on!

My cheat day this past Sunday, foodwise, wasn't that different from other Sundays. However, I did start drinking grapefruit juice before my cheat "meals" (2 of them - the rest was snacking). I also did the exercises. Other then the first round (before my first cheat meal), I found that 60-90 minutes after each meal was also before the next round of eating...be it snacks, meals, or what have you. It actually was a lot of work. I did the mini-workout 5 times throughout the day. I did 50 each of the air squats, wall extension and chest-band-things all 5 times. I also did 50 crunches 3 of the times. It's painted as a quick/easy thing, but I didn't think so. After all, in the end, it amounted to 900 reps of something or the other. For the record, the typical 35 minute strength workout I do 3 days per week totals about 300 reps total. Granted, these exercises are not quite as demanding, but I did feel like I was doing a lot more exercise than I expected. I also ran 5 miles that day as planned. Typically, I run at least 7 miles on Sunday, but since I was adding in the other exercises, I toned it down.

The result was that, after my cheat day, I was up 5 lbs. I haven't gained this much on cheat day since my first one (+6 lbs). Also, it's now Wednesday morning, and I'm still up 4 lbs. Again, this is kind of similar to my first cheat day. Fortunately, the first cheat day, on Thursday morning, all of the weight was gone plus another 0.5 lbs. Truthfully, I will be happy is all of the weight is gone before Sunday. Since I lost double what I was expecting last week, I can live a week holding steady. If I do more than that I'll be ecstatic. If I haven't taken big step in the right direction as of tomorrow morning, I'll probably look at cutting back a bit Friday and Saturday.
  • sbracken
    Options
    I am loving this plan!!!! Stepped on the scale this morning and I'm down another 1.4lbs!!!!! Amazing! Losing weight has never been a very easy road for me. I don't have much to lose, so it tends to come off slowly. And according to the scale, it's body fat that I'm losing...body fat % has gone down while water % was about the same today as it was on Saturday. It went up after my cheat....showing that the "weight" gained on my cheat day really is just water retention.

I kept with doing the squats/presses/pulls yesterday. I've been doing sets of 30....when I can remember to do them. I'm just waiting for DH to walk into the kitchen one day to see me squating while I'm cooking breakfast or something. He already thinks I'm totally obsessed with this diet. But he did compliment me on my intense will power yesterday. I baked him chocolate chip cookies (Toll House out of the tub) and didn't have any myself!!!

mcferg, I agree!! The exercises do seem like they should be a quick, easy thing to get your muscles stimulated. And while I don't break a sweat doing them....and they really do only take a few minutes to do...it's alot of work at the end of the day when you add it all up. Guess maybe that's the whole point. Keep the muscles needing fuel throughout the day by doing short burts of work, ilo one longer workout only once a day. I'm noticing that the one thing I like best about this plan is he seems to encourage experimenting with it. My PAGG shipment was stuck in Ohio yesterday because of the storm, but I'm hoping it arrives today.
  • mcferg
    Options
    SBracken,

Way to go!

Sadly for me, this is the first week my cheat day weight has not come off by Thursday. I'm still carrying 4 of the 5 lbs I gained. I'm not really concerned about it, but I'm watching my sodium today and hoping to see it gone tomorrow. In the past, the bulk of the weight was gone on one particular night - hoping tonight is it.

My PAGG arrived yesterday. I'm not taking it today, though. Yesterday, I found myself feeling nauseous here and there, and I want to make sure whatever that is has passed before I start taking something some consider difficult to digest. I actually think I may start taking it on Sunday (cheat day). If the weight isn't gone by Sunday (after a 2.5 lb loss last week, I'll settle for breaking even this week), I'm going to modify my Sunday plan in hopes of not making things much worse.

I bruised my tailbone last weekend, so exercise has been kind of scant this week, too, which may explain why I'm holding onto the cheat day weight more, but I hope to get back to it today.
  • sbracken
    Options
    mcferg, hope you're feeling better today! And that the free day weight has come off.

My PAGG arrived yesterday, so I started it today. Wanted to get a jump on getting it into my system before Sunday...thinking maybe that will help lessen the damage. Although as of right now we have no plans for the Super Bowl. I keep asking DH about it, and even offered to have people over to our house and he just shruggs it off. Very strange since he's a HUGE football fan.
  • mcferg
    Options
    mcferg, hope you're feeling better today! And that the free day weight has come off.

My PAGG arrived yesterday, so I started it today. Wanted to get a jump on getting it into my system before Sunday...thinking maybe that will help lessen the damage. Although as of right now we have no plans for the Super Bowl. I keep asking DH about it, and even offered to have people over to our house and he just shruggs it off. Very strange since he's a HUGE football fan.

I'm starting the PAGG tomorrow, I think. I still haven't lost the cheat day weight - still up 3.5 lbs from Sunday morning. I was kind of bummed about this yesterday, but not so much today. I have a feeling it will drop in the next day or two, and I'm completely fine with losing nothing this week, so, as long as the cheat day weight is gone by Sunday, I'm fine.

I'm actually kind of used to weird fluctuations in water weight...up/down, then holding onto it for weeks at a time. However, one of the things I liked about this diet is that it wasn't happening like that... For the first 4 weeks, I gained on cheat day, lost it over the next 2 or 3 days, then continued to lose until the next cheat day.

Thinking back, though, over my food this week, I think I've had some pretty high-sodium meals...almost every dinner falls into that category, so my guess is that's the culprit here. I'm going to try to make lower sodium choices the next two days and see what happens.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Water retention is the devil. It gets me soooo depressed. It sounds like I need to read the book rather than just the blog to get all the exercises, etc. As it is I have been slipping mainly on popcorn, fruit, and occasional rice, but the vast majority is post workout. Is that cool? Are you lovely people tracking calories? I am behind on my calories by 500 on average for the week according to the neat little tool, but not losing. It makes me afraid to do cheating of any sort this weekend. ...

How am I supposed to know if I'm eating too much or too little? Knowing my luck a cheat day will make me much fatter :grumble:
  • devuchka
    Options
    i've enjoyed reading this board & all of your comments.

i just started the 4HB last week, and am trying to figure out how it all works. i have lost 20 lbs twice in my life, and i did so through a combination of exercise and a similar diet. so when i heard about this one i aleady knew that eating a lot of eggs & legumes would work. i do know that exercise is a big deal for me - moving my hips = shrinking them. so i started 30 min of my Denise Austin walker & my mini-tramp before I found this diet. I already lost 2 lbs from that. (on the other hand, a co-worker got sick and lost 20 lbs in 1 week while in bed, so i know for sure that weight loss can be done without exercise...)

after starting on the 4HB, i am pretty happy though with the results. with 4HB and the cardio, i am down another 1 lb, and several inches around the waist & hips, it feels like in a week. i use the scale at my chiropractor's office, as i don't have one at home. instead i have a "scales skirt" that i use to track my progress. I have worn it at my ideal size so I know how that feels.

jenjabbour, i have the same problem with liking coffee without milk. i tried the recommendation for cinnamon in it, and i LOVE it! in fact pumpkin pie spice is also great, so i'm gonna pop a little mini bottle in my handbag for when i go out for breakfast too. makes my starbucks come alive.

i'm also having trouble eating enough to keep from getting hungry between meals. not sure what to do about that. i don't want to eat more, it feels yucky.

i'm using this site to make sure i get enuf fat & carbs. calories be damned, i am way over. but as long as i fill up on the other stuff, i think i will be ok. we'll see...if i want to lose weight faster, i will just be more strict with my weekly menu. i gotta clean out the fridge first of all the pre-4HB stuff i bought & refill it with slow-carb yummies.

i'm starting my first cheat day today, so here goes! pizza & martinis, coming right up! well, i mean, later on the day...wouldn't want to make myself sick too early, might as well wait until...after breakfast...at least...:drinker: