Do you remember where you were on 9/11/01?

Options

Replies

• Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I was working at home, took a break to catch some TV, and astonished at what I saw. Then I got MAD and wondered who was dumb enough to declare war on us.
  • Babbs1977
    Babbs1977 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was 24 and was driving to work when our local radio station, KQRS, started talking about the first plane hitting. Then they started yelling that the second plane had hit. The host immediately said it was a terrorist attack and said Bin Laden had to be behind it...sadly he was right. I spent the entire day refreshing website pages (most were crashing), watching news in shock.

It never fails to make my heart sink when I think about it, it's that gut wrenching sadness that never goes away. People leaping to their deaths rather than burning to death is something I can't forget.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I remember being at school (I was in high school then) and the teachers had been told to not tell anyone what was going on. Tons of kids started getting pulled out of class for the day by their parents so we assumed it was a bomb threat at the local chemical refinery (it happened way more often than you would expect.) Everybody was asking what was going on, but the school banned computer lab use for the day and confiscated any phones and radios they found someone trying to use. It wasn't until my grandparents picked me up at school and brought me home that I knew what was going on. By that point it was almost 1:00pm. I'll never understand why my school was so paranoid about us finding out.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I was 16 and in high school at the time. I had shown up late because I wasn't feeling well, and it was eerily silent when I walked into the school.

Everyone was standing on desks in the back of my class and crowded around a TV. I couldn't see it. I hadn't had any media contact for a day and said the stupidest thing to ever come out of my mouth: "Is something exciting happening?"

Everyone turned around to see who let the world's most idiotic phrase slip out of their mouth. When the crowd parted, I saw "the jumpers" live. The reality check of that moment made me physically ill.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I was an avian animal handler for World Bird Sanctuary here in St. Louis. I was in the Bald Eagle pin feeding them before Grant's Farm opened, when the elephant handler came by on the Gator to grab me. Told me we were all needing to get to the break house. The World Trade Center was hit. Got there just as the second tower was hit.

I was taking care of Our Nations symbol, as we were attacked! I will NEVER forget were I was that day.
  • marwamelmenshawy
    marwamelmenshawy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was at my aunt's, we saw it on tv, it was very sad knowing so many families were in agony, God bless them all
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I was living in Cornwall, Ontario at the time, and I was getting ready for a job interview. I was in such shock, it was hard to focus on the interview. Once the interview started, we barely talked about anything but what was going on.

So heartbreaking still to remember that day. Definitely the worst day ever :(
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I was in London, walking around Picadilly Circus. I saw a crowd of people hanging around a pub, and wanted to be involved. I walked up to the crowd and said, "I'm in, I'm in. What are we doing?" A guy at the front of the line asked, "You're a yank, right, mate?" I said yes, and the crowd parted. I could hear whispers of, "he's a yank...he's a yank....let him through." I was gently pushed through the crowd until I could see the TV in the pub. At that moment, the second plane hit the Twin Towers. I yelled out, "What the **** is going on?!!!" I can't tell you how many people patted me on the back, saying stuff like, "It'll be OK, yank. It'll be OK."

During the first few hours, rumors of other planes hitting things were rampant. The Capitol Dome, The White House, hell even Mt. Rushmore.

I was staying at the Docklands, which just so happens to have the tallest building in all of Europe. They evacuated that building and many others.

My wife at the time locked ourselves in our hotel room and just watched the coverage.

We went to see the Lion King a couple of days later to sort of reemerge into the world. The cast members passed out buckets asking for donations for the American Red Cross.

We were standing outside the gates of the castle as the royal guard played the American National Anthem for the first and only time in British history.

It was a sad, horrible time, but we were well taken care of by our British brethren.
  • HelenaCavanaugh
    HelenaCavanaugh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i just want to say something

SEP 11 WAS BAD, AND A MARK IN HISTORY. A LOT OF PEOPLE DIED AND FAMILES SUFFERED.

however; america makes things such a big deal. DO YOU GUYS KNOW THAT THINGS LIKE THIS HAPPENS ALL OVER THE WORLD. PEOPLE DIE EVERY SINGLE DAY WITH THINGS LIKE THIS. SO IF 9/11 WERE TO HAPPEN IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY THEY WOULDNT HAVE MADE IT AS BIG A DEAL AS THE AMERICANS.

i find it funny because americans are willing to go to war with other countries and **** up their land, but when a minor thing happens to them they all freak out. i guess that is karma.

and yes i am an american born girl but i do not agree with how our people think most times.

thanks.

Are we not allowed to mourn our dead just like everyone else?
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    wow, I feel old now. I was in 10th grade at the time.
    Wow! Your feel old? I had recently retired from the Navy. The clock-radio woke us up with a report that a plane crashed into the WTC. I thought, "Probably some Cesna pilot out of control." Boy, was I wrong!
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I just graduated high school. I was sleeping at the time and was awakened by frantic phone calls from my friends and family to tell me about the news. I live in Brooklyn and was close enough to the WTC to see and smell the smoke coming from the burning buildings.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Yes, working out and when I got in the car the radio was playing the emergency message and telling us not to drive anywhere...
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Yes, I met my future wife the day before. When we heard the news, we were...umm...otherwise engaged in the bedroom lol
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I was actually out running during the first plane and the attack on the pentagon. My grandfather drove by and told me, but what he said made no sense to my run-addled brain. By the time I finished my cool-down, I had processed what he had said and got home and saw the second plane hit.
  • waltor64
    waltor64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It was my 4th day has a high school teacher.
  • ParamoreAddict
    Options

SEP 11 WAS BAD, AND A MARK IN HISTORY. A LOT OF PEOPLE DIED AND FAMILES SUFFERED.

however; america makes things such a big deal. DO YOU GUYS KNOW THAT THINGS LIKE THIS HAPPENS ALL OVER THE WORLD. PEOPLE DIE EVERY SINGLE DAY WITH THINGS LIKE THIS. SO IF 9/11 WERE TO HAPPEN IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY THEY WOULDNT HAVE MADE IT AS BIG A DEAL AS THE AMERICANS.

i find it funny because americans are willing to go to war with other countries and **** up their land, but when a minor thing happens to them they all freak out. i guess that is karma.

and yes i am an american born girl but i do not agree with how our people think most times.

thanks.

Aren't you late for your ISIS meeting?
  • DeeJayShank
    DeeJayShank Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    In college, on the bus on the way to campus.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I will never forget... I was in thermodynamics class at college. someone ran in with the news and we watched it all unfold in the computer lab next door.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

thanks.

Next time you "just want to say something" please don't.
  • ParamoreAddict
    Options

thanks.

Next time you "just want to say something" please don't.
    +1