Do I HAVE to eat 1200 cal..

Options
Hey guys!

This is my first post on here and I have a question! :smile:

I'm kind of a noob to the whole fitness lifestyle in terms of realizing there's more to it than just eating a salad and going for a run.

It says to eat 1,200 calories a day but to me that number sounds so high and I can't bring myself to eat that many. On cheat days, I'm sure I do but on days where I'm very aware of what I'm eating/burning off and logging everything, it sounds like such a high amount.

What will happen if I burn off more calories than I consume in a day?
I usually burn about 350-500 doing cardio, and these days it's more in the 400-650 range.
I thought in order to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you intake, and if I were to eat 1,200cal/day, that would be 8,400/week and that sounds insanely high. If I burned off 500 cal/day, I would only be burning 3,500/week and it just doesn't make sense to me.

EDIT:
I posted this somewhere in here, but I'm adding this in and stepping away from this post..

"Okay thanks for the help guys. I didn't really understand the whole "net calorie" thing, and wasn't aware that we burn THAT many calories throughout the day (I thought maybe 200 at best). I guess I probably should have wrote in my post that I used to have an eating disorder a few years ago so that number just seemed high because I was used to counting calories a lot. This is the first time I've gotten really serious about losing weight through both diet and exercise instead of an unhealthy way but clearly what I'm doing is still unhealthy. Definitely going to research it more and try to hit 1200 a day."

Replies

• aaamberxx
    aaamberxx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can't wrap my head around the fact that you think 1200 calories is an unbelievable number.... What do you eat??
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

I'm kind of a noob to the whole fitness lifestyle in terms of realizing there's more to it than just eating a salad and going for a run.

It says to eat 1,200 calories a day but to me that number sounds so high and I can't bring myself to eat that many. On cheat days, I'm sure I do but on days where I'm very aware of what I'm eating/burning off and logging everything, it sounds like such a high amount.

I usually burn about 350-500 doing cardio, and these days it's more in the 400-650 range.
    I thought in order to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you intake, and if I were to eat 1,200cal/day, that would be 8,400/week and that sounds insanely high. If I burned off 500 cal/day, I would only be burning 3,500/week and it just doesn't make sense to me.
    Is your goal to quickly lose an amazing amount of weight while feeling like crap?

No.

FUEL YOUR BODY.

EDIT: Read the sexypants post linked below.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You are misunderstanding the fact that your body burns calories just by living (breathing and basic life functions). By burning more than you eat in a day you will eventually not be able to support those basic life functions.

MFP already sets you up at a deficit to lose weight. 1200 calories is the bare minimum required calories for a woman who is not active to survive on.

You need to start looking at food as fuel for your body the same as gas for your car. You can't run on empty. I suggest you learn about BMR and TDEE. Here is a website that will get you started: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

You will be surprised at what you can eat and still lose weight. Also read the following links: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

Good luck
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    You also burn calories by being alive. You're supposed to eat less than your total burn, not less than your exercise burn. You're going to crash and burn on this path, probably with a massive overeating session when your body just can't take it anymore.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    If you are precisely logging every bite and all oils used for cooking etc it really isn't much. Me personally I'd chew my arm off at that low. And while I suppose It's possible to burn more than you consume its highly unlikely. And burning more calories than you intake isn't exactly right. You use a certain amount of calories just existing breathing and the like so you really should eat enough for all of that. Then you have the amount you expend by existing and actually say getting out of bed going to work that kinda thing ie not being in a coma or asleep, this is the number you reach for maintenance or not to lose from and all of this is determined by height, weight and age. So you cut a certain percentage from the second number but don't go below the first number. And 1200 is an arbitrary number that is considered the lowest to go and still have the ability to get all your nutrition in for the day.
  • APLAWING
    Options
    Ok. I'm going to be one of the mean girls now. I'm "hangry" right now from eating a skimpy lunch, so I don't give a damn. If you have trouble eating 1200 calories you wouldn't be overweight in the first place. These posts get on my last nerve! I could eat 1200 calories for every meal....
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I actually agree, I do not lose weight if I have 1200, normally I eat 300 then burn off 300 then eat another 200 and I am still a healthy weight.

If you choose to starve yourself, that's your business. Recommending it to other people as a viable weight loss plan is ridiculous.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Your body is using calories 24/7.....heart, lungs, kidneys, etc. You use calories while sleeping. This number is your BMR (basal metabolic rate)......PLEASE FIND THIS NUMBER so you can see how little you are truly eating.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

If you are giving your heart, lungs, kidneys, etc. 650 calories worth of fuel and they need 1450.....then your body will stop fueling less important stuff......hair, nails, skin.....existing lean muscle mass.

With 21 pounds to lose your weekly goal should NOT be 2 pounds a week......1 pound (at most).
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You are misunderstanding the fact that your body burns calories just by living (breathing and basic life functions). By burning more than you eat in a day you will eventually not be able to support those basic life functions.

MFP already sets you up at a deficit to lose weight. 1200 calories is the bare minimum required calories for a woman who is not active to survive on.

You need to start looking at food as fuel for your body the same as gas for your car. You can't run on empty. I suggest you learn about BMR and TDEE. Here is a website that will get you started: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

You will be surprised at what you can eat and still lose weight. Also read the following links: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

Good luck

^^^This
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    1,200 calories is typically a minimum for an adult. There may be exceptions for adults who are very petite already and/or sedentary, but 1,200 calories is not a lot for a normal, active adult.

Your math is incorrect because you are assuming you don't burn calories at rest. Your body has to burn calories to keep your brain functioning, your heart beating, your liver, kidneys, digestive system, and lungs all working properly... even when you sleep.

Let's assume you burn about 1,200 calories per day just being alive. This is a pretty realistic number. Then you burn an additional 500 calories from exercise. You are then burning 1,700 calories per day. If you consume 1,200 calories, you have a "calorie deficit" of 500 calories -- you have burned 500 calories more than what you consumed. A pound is approximately 2,000 calories, so in 4 days, you will have lost around 1 pound (give or take, water retention and other things may skew the actual amount).

My opinion is that the above approach is not really sustainable and you should aim for a smaller calorie deficit that is more manageable in the long run, and a food plan that provides your body with enough nutrients to keep your skin, hair, muscles, etc. healthy and provide energy for your workouts.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,662 Member
    Options
    I actually agree, I do not lose weight if I have 1200, normally I eat 300 then burn off 300 then eat another 200 and I am still a healthy weight.

solid 1st post. you should not be giving anyone advice or tell anyone to follow your example.
  • apokryptein
    Options
    As I am sure you have noticed by now, most people aren't going to be on the side of 1200 or less when it comes to calories. If you are eating so few your body is going to start shutting stuff down (just as TeaBea just mentioned. The main thing here though is that it all comes down to your goals. Is it your goal to be a number? Is it your goal to be fit? Or is it your goal to be healthy over all?
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you are trying to lose weight, surely you must have been eating more than 1200 calories to begin with.

Second of all, you do not only burn calories when doing cardio, you burn calories every second of the day even when you are sleeping. Calculate your BMR, that is how many calories you burn doing absolutely nothing. Then calculate your TDEE, that is how many calories you burn when you factor in exercise.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Therefore, 1200 calories is most likely too low. Eat more than your BMR and less than your TDEE (around 10-20% less) and you will be eating at a deficit and will lose weight.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

You forgot to add in the couple thousand that you burn each day by virtue of not being dead.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Please start here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

It will help you calculate the calories you need for not only your activity level, but also just what your body needs to be alive every day. It will also account for what you are trying to lose.
    1,200 is a very low number, and if you eat only that many calories, and then burn 400-600 calories working out, your net intake will only be 600-800. That's not enough to sustain brain and organ function long term. Your body will start to break down your muscle mass in order to try to survive. after that you will sustain organ damage. You need to eat way more than 1,200 calories per day to survive.

Start with scooby and go from there. I'm at maintenance at 5'7" and 121 lbs. and on exercise days I eat at or over 2,000 calories per day.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    so high???

I could eat that just for breakfast...
  • JDF125
    Options
    lol that was awesome
  • Cinthiamd21
    Options
    So, why do we stall. Why do we stop loosing if we are having less than 1200?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    So, why do we stall. Why do we stop loosing if we are having less than 1200?

You don't. Nobody has ever failed to lose weight by eating too little.