Do I HAVE to eat 1200 cal..

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I visited a bariatric surgeon a couple of years ago. She told me everyone is different and their bodies metabolize at different rates. She ran blood work, heart rate tests, etc and took lots of information from me before giving me a plan.

I'm 5ft 3 and was 25 at the time of that appointment.
    She recommended I stick between 900-1200 calories a day.
    She said 900 calories would help me lose weight more quickly (1-2lbs a week)
    1200 calories would help me lose weight more slowly (2-3 lbs a month)
    1500 calories a day would make me gain weight slowly (2-3lbs a month)
    2,000 calories a day would make me gain weight rapidly (5-7lbs a month)
    This was all based on the way she observed my metabolism working and the way my body managed insulin etc from her tests.

Since that time I've had a second doctor (who is now my family doc) tell me 900-1200 calories is the best range for me to lose weight.

From what my doctors have told me, and from what I've observed from my own body/eating habits, calorie counting is all about reading the feedback your body is giving you.

So If you are not losing weight at 1200 calories (and want to) or don't feel like you always need the extra calories then don't feel pressured!

Do what works for you as long as you are eating healthy foods (protein, veggies etc) and feeling full and feeling energized thats all that matters.
    OP: Please ignore this post. You're NOT someone who's seeing a bariatric surgeon.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I visited a bariatric surgeon a couple of years ago. She told me everyone is different and their bodies metabolize at different rates. She ran blood work, heart rate tests, etc and took lots of information from me before giving me a plan.

This was all based on the way she observed my metabolism working and the way my body managed insulin etc from her tests.

Since that time I've had a second doctor (who is now my family doc) tell me 900-1200 calories is the best range for me to lose weight.

From what my doctors have told me, and from what I've observed from my own body/eating habits, calorie counting is all about reading the feedback your body is giving you.

So If you are not losing weight at 1200 calories (and want to) or don't feel like you always need the extra calories then don't feel pressured!

Do what works for you as long as you are eating healthy foods (protein, veggies etc) and feeling full and feeling energized thats all that matters.

You've gotten your recommendations from doctors who carefully evaluated you and you are a small woman. You should not tell anyone else to do the same thing if they haven't gotten that advice and evaluation from a similar medical expert, especially someone with an admitted previous eating disorder.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I actually agree, I do not lose weight if I have 1200, normally I eat 300 then burn off 300 then eat another 200 and I am still a healthy weight.

What?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many negative posts. I have the same issue, it's hard for me to hit 1200/day when I'm choosing healthy meals. I think this is because not only are they lower calorie, but they keep you full longer. I'd say just eat healthy, count your calories, but eat if you are hungry! Don't force yourself to eat just to hit the 1200 calorie mark, as long as you are feeling well. Everyone's metabolism and body are different, your body may not require as many calories as anyone else's.

I think the issue is that people confuse "healthy" with Low Calorie. Yes, it is VERY hard to eat 1200 calories of lettuce in a day.

But a steak and potato is perfectly healthy, and that's a 900 calorie meal right there ..

Even pizza is perfectly healthy, and you can go 600-1000 calories for a couple slices.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I actually agree, I do not lose weight if I have 1200, normally I eat 300 then burn off 300 then eat another 200 and I am still a healthy weight.

What?

^ I second that :huh:
  • lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes like most are saying here, you are eating way to less than you should. Become informed and not entertained through fads and bad eating habits. Start researching calories and how it affects the body. Start Here: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/dos-donts-counting-calories

Use any calorie counter out there that you see fit to use or any one posted here in this forum. Most are or have the same computations.

You have to eat to loose weight. I eat 6 meals in a day which each meal is portioned. But that is me and does not mean that it will fit your needs. Find out what fits your needs by contacting the doctor, get blood work and see where you stand in your body composition and look at suggestions from the doctor first. Once you have the basic knowledge you can get going good and determine your own route.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    dafuq?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many negative posts. I have the same issue, it's hard for me to hit 1200/day when I'm choosing healthy meals. I think this is because not only are they lower calorie, but they keep you full longer. I'd say just eat healthy, count your calories, but eat if you are hungry! Don't force yourself to eat just to hit the 1200 calorie mark, as long as you are feeling well. Everyone's metabolism and body are different, your body may not require as many calories as anyone else's.

since OP has already admitted she has previously had an eating disorder, it's not a good idea to give her encouragement to avoid eating more calories. Unless you are an extremely small woman, it's very unlikely that 1200 calories is the healthy amount needed for you to sustain your lean muscle mass and appropriate brain and organ function. Just because you feel full does not mean your body is receiving all the calories it needs to function optimally.
  • Cinthiamd21
    Options
    So, why do we stall. Why do we stop loosing if we are having less than 1200?

Plateaus are normal......weight loss is not linear. As you become a smaller person the calories to maintain your new "smallness" are less. This means a) you lose more slowly because the deficit is actually smaller than before OR b) you keep the same deficit by eating even less (bad idea if you want to keep lean muscle while losing fat).

Plateaus are not normal for people who are eating less than 1200 calories per day.

completely incorrect. It depends on your weight, height and structure. Smaller/petite people require less calories just as smaller/petite people burn less calories than larger/heavier people. There's no ONE rule that fits everyone. There are many factors to consider.

I had gastric bypass 44 days ago. I am following my dors orders. He order 1200 cal. have a protein shake for breakfast a cup of salad with chicken for luch and maybe a can of tuna for dinner that its about 900 cal
  • yopeeps025
    Options

What?

^ I second that :huh:

kobe-shrug1.jpeg
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Did you even read the original post? She wasn't having trouble reaching 1200, she wasn't even trying because she thought it was too high. Yes, look at all the terrible people telling someone she doesn't have to starve to lose weight. We're so mean.

giphy.gif
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Calorie dense foods.............olive oil, nuts, nut butters, avocado. Small servings pack in lots of healthy fats and nutrition. Being full is not an indicator of healthy nutrition. Eating lots of fiberous veggies fills your stomach, but won't help you keep lean muscle, protein and fat does that.

As far as every one's metabolism is different.....NO, most people (not 100%)....but most women need at least 1200 NET calories a day. Women that should eat less than 1200 are petite senior citizens, or people with real medical issues (thyroid).

I won't eat less than my BMR because I'm over 50. I need to hang onto as much lean muscle as I can. I want to LOWER by body fat %....not keep it the same.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

Plateaus are normal......weight loss is not linear. As you become a smaller person the calories to maintain your new "smallness" are less. This means a) you lose more slowly because the deficit is actually smaller than before OR b) you keep the same deficit by eating even less (bad idea if you want to keep lean muscle while losing fat).

Plateaus are not normal for people who are eating less than 1200 calories per day.

completely incorrect. It depends on your weight, height and structure. Smaller/petite people require less calories just as smaller/petite people burn less calories than larger/heavier people. There's no ONE rule that fits everyone. There are many factors to consider.

I had gastric bypass 44 days ago. I am following my dors orders. He order 1200 cal. have a protein shake for breakfast a cup of salad with chicken for luch and maybe a can of tuna for dinner that its about 900 cal
    Well you are going to have different nutritional needs and issues going on with your body because you recently had surgery. Consult your Dr. I don't have that problem--but then again, I havnt had and dont need surgery and I eat more than 1200 a day. Your needs are probably not typical to apply to the population as whole.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

What don't you get? YOU HAD BYPASS SURGERY!!!!? The OP didn't. Entirely different.
    People, please stop and think. We have a small young woman, with a history of ED, eating too little and ya'll are posting utterly reckless replies to her.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

since OP has already admitted she has previously had an eating disorder, it's not a good idea to give her encouragement to avoid eating more calories. Unless you are an extremely small woman, it's very unlikely that 1200 calories is the healthy amount needed for you to sustain your lean muscle mass and appropriate brain and organ function. Just because you feel full does not mean your body is receiving all the calories it needs to function optimally.

Who said they had an eating disorder? Huh? How do you know this?????

My comments above are based on personal experience and the advice of doctors. It is not unhealthy to eat less than 1200 calories a day... as long as you someone who is supposed to be losing weight...and on that topic... if you're not needing to lose weight why are you here??
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I completely agree that everyone's calorie needs are different. Small, sedentary, older women, in specific, may find that even 1200 calories is too much for them to maintain their weight. However, one should never assume that their needs are less than 1200 without getting advice from a doctor or other qualified source.

I think part of what it comes down to is the realization that if you aren't eating enough calories that your body is going to get those calories from somewhere. If you undereat habitually, it's going to take those calories from your lean muscle mass not just your fat stores. This becomes a vicious cycle because as your percentage of lean body mass decreases so does your metabolism which makes it even harder for you lose weight.

My advice is to focus less on the number on the scale (which no one but you sees anyway!) and focus instead on using the measuring tape and body composition (fat vs. muscle) to measure your progress. Add strength training to your workouts to help maintain, or even increase, muscle mass while you're losing weight and inches. This time around I've done just that. I lift two-three times per week and run 3 - 4 miles three times per week. My measurements are close to what they were at my smallest a few years ago but I weigh 8 pounds or so more than I did then. I only just started lifting a couple of months ago.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    The op did mention that she had an eating disorder and that was why she felt as though 1200 was a lot. Please read before speaking.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Who said they had an eating disorder? Huh? How do you know this?????

My comments above are based on personal experience and the advice of doctors. It is not unhealthy to eat less than 1200 calories a day... as long as you someone who is supposed to be losing weight...and on that topic... if you're not needing to lose weight why are you here??

The uhhhh OP. The OP said that the OP had an ED.
  • lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options

You know nothing about this cause a doctor will not prescribe this to a person. I have a friend that had this surgery and in no way did hos doctor tell him something like this. Here is the stats from WEb MD become informed.

Gender Age (years) Sedentaryb Moderately Activec Actived
    Child 2-3 1,000 1,000-1,400 1,000-1,400
    Female 4-8
    9-13
    14-18
    19-30
    31-50
    51+ 1,200
    1,600 1,400-1,600
    1,600-2,000
    2,000-2,200
    1,800 1,400-1,800
    1,800-2,200
    2,000-2,200
    Male 4-8
    9-13
    14-18
    19-30
    31-50
    51+ 1,400
    2,000 1,400-1,600
    1,800-2,200
    2,400-2,800
    2,600-2,800
    2,400-2,600
    2,200-2,400 1,600-2,000
    2,000-2,600
    2,800-3,200
    2,800-3,000
    2,400-2,800
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/estimated-calorie-requirement

This is the reason I will post mean posts. Idiots giving advice without giving realistic figures.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

What don't you get? YOU HAD BYPASS SURGERY!!!!? The OP didn't. Entirely different.
    People, please stop and think. We have a small young woman, with a history of ED, eating too little and ya'll are posting utterly reckless replies to her.

cosign this