What do you do with your "fat" clothes?

Options

Replies

• dappergirl2
    dappergirl2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I own a handy sewing machine which I use to alter the clothes that I still like to fit my new body. Others I donate to charity. Need to make space for the new clothes while updating my wardrobe. By getting rid of the big clothes is my motivation to keep going because otherwise I will be broke and naked ;)
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Donate... the good stuff to an organization that provides "business attire" to folks that need an outfit for interviews etc... (in this town it's called the "walk in closet" )

Donate the rest to Goodwill... or your local women's shelter... plenty of women leave with little more than the clothes on their back... and a small bag for the kids...

bear in mind.. that fashion is a dynamic beast... what might look good now.. won't be retro for another 20 years... are you going to store stuff that long?

I get a chuckle wandering the streets of this town.. plenty of the homeless here wander around in CK, Ralph Lauren, Tommy, and some of the best running shoes you can imagine.. because this is what folks around here donate...

anyway... anything more than 5 years old... unless its a total classic... should go to a worthy cause... wating to get back into them.. or waiting to fail so they do fit again... sort of self defeating... look forward.. dress for success...let Karma guide you
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time getting rid of mine! I have that fear that I'll need them again someday, but that's probably an unhealthy fear. Anyway, what have you guys done with your clothes that no longer fit-store them away, donate, sell?

I have some stuff that is to pricey to donate, I would need to make some money off of them to help buy a new wardrobe.

Donate to a local good will like Lone said.

Or you can use them as fabric as pillows and such to remind yourself to keep pushing to stay away from ever getting into your "fat" clothes again. Its what I plan to do :D

I like the pillow idea
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I have refashioned some of mine. Particularly tees, I have made cute workout tank tops out of a bunch. A couple of skirts I turned into dresses. I have a hard time letting go of pieces that have nice fabric.There's a particular site I check out from time to time, refashionsta.net, that has great ideas.
  • heirloomtomato
    heirloomtomato Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The well made, expensive suits and dresses that I have for work go to the tailor. It ends up fitting better than anything off the rack ever will. When I have time, I do my own tailoring as well.

The stuff I don't love or is not worth the cost of tailoring gets donated.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Okay. I felt like a jerk for not wanting to give away the designer jeans but it seems like it's not that jerkish of an idea after reading responses.

Definitely not!

Why not sort out things into piles or boxes to sell, donate, repurpose/trash? That's kind of what I do now. The only things that are effectively "trashed" are like, pants with a broken zipper and t-shirts with a hole or stain that turn into cleaning rags.

Yeah I mean, shirts and stuff that are too big for me are only a size medium so I can still keep them. It's mostly these dang jeans I can't let go of (1. because of price and 2. because I feel I might need them again someday!). I think it's to ebay I shall go.
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Good will :)
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i sold all mine in a yard sale, but i wish i had kept them, because once i started school last fall, i gained most of my weight back..:sad:
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Donate them (though I always keep some big t-shirts around for doing housework or chores. No sense in ruining good active wear or newer clothes when I'm mowing the lawn or shoveling snow)
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I dontated all of mine except the dress I got married in so I can have a before/after same dress picture for myself.

I've had to buy a new wardrobe twice now, but I didn't spend more than $200 each time. I buy most things at JC Penny, a few from Macys, or Overstock.com. Then again, I only need a few good quality pieces for a full wardrobe.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Donate... the good stuff to an organization that provides "business attire" to folks that need an outfit for interviews etc... (in this town it's called the "walk in closet" )

Donate the rest to Goodwill... or your local women's shelter... plenty of women leave with little more than the clothes on their back... and a small bag for the kids...

bear in mind.. that fashion is a dynamic beast... what might look good now.. won't be retro for another 20 years... are you going to store stuff that long?

I get a chuckle wandering the streets of this town.. plenty of the homeless here wander around in CK, Ralph Lauren, Tommy, and some of the best running shoes you can imagine.. because this is what folks around here donate...

anyway... anything more than 5 years old... unless its a total classic... should go to a worthy cause... wating to get back into them.. or waiting to fail so they do fit again... sort of self defeating... look forward.. dress for success...let Karma guide you

I agree with your advice...I am not claiming to be super fashionable or anything, but yeah...I read all of the time about people who saved their skinny clothes and I'm puzzled on how that works out if it was more than a couple of seasons ago.

I haven't been my current size since middle school...but let's say I wore this size back in 2002 or 2003...what am I gonna do, wear a brown velour hoodie, embellished boot cut jeans and chunky soled brown zip up FMBs? How about a zipper cardigan with my first initial, kitten heels & a ballgown skirt for a big event?? No. Just no. hahaha
  • arditarose
    Options

I agree with your advice...I am not claiming to be super fashionable or anything, but yeah...I read all of the time about people who saved their skinny clothes and I'm puzzled on how that works out if it was more than a couple of seasons ago.

I haven't been my current size since middle school...but let's say I wore this size back in 2002 or 2003...what am I gonna do, wear a brown velour hoodie, embellished boot cut jeans and chunky soled brown zip up FMBs? How about a zipper cardigan with my first initial, kitten heels & a ballgown skirt for a big event?? No. Just no. hahaha

So Funny. I am actually smaller than I was in middle school (shaped differently though). I remember wearing the largest size they sell at express in 7th or 8th grade.

Anyway, I'm definitely wearing things I bought 4 years ago. At least if they were from Anthropologie
  • ShannonS921
    Options
    Unfortunately I wear them :-(

Yup, me too.
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Is it passive-aggressive of me to want to give them to my sister who has always been smaller than me, but won't be anymore soon?
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I separated mine into three categories:

The ones that I wore to death (and I mean, they were THREADBARE), I usually just threw out. Not good enough to donate (stained, ripped, etc.). Same with underwear and bras. (You can't exactly donate used underwear.)

The more expensive casual things, I would sell on eBay. I had a LOT of stuff from Torrid and similar stores that I paid a LOT of money for and I wanted to try and get some of that back so I could buy new things.

The stuff that I wore for work was usually in really good shape, so I would donate those to a local shelter for female ex-offenders returning to the community who are on probation or parole. I have connections in that community and I try to help where I can - they're usually snapped up in a heartbeat and the women are very grateful for the assistance. It helps them get jobs and be productive in society.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Right now I have a giant mountain of clothes that are going to the thrift store. But I"m waiting a couple of days because Boston Store is doing a sale where every item of clothes you bring in, you get a 25% off coupon.

Although I'm going to alter a few of my favorite pieces, and my fairly expensive dresses I'm going to try and sell or find a better home for.

To edit: I am not keeping any of my big clothes either (except 1 pair of pants to remember how big I was!) keeping them all just gives me an excuse to gain the weight back, and I won't let that happen,
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    Right now I have a stack of clothes I need to bring to the tailor to have taken in. I've only dropped about a size (or two) and have no intention of getting any smaller, so I am still wearing most of my old tops...it's the skirts and pants that don't fit right. So the things I love (or that are relatively recent purchases) I will have altered, and anything I can't see myself wearing again will be donated.

A few months ago I hosted a fun "girls night in". I invited a group of friends over and told everyone to bring a few items of clothing (and accessories) that were in good condition but that they no longer wore. We opened a few bottles of wine and did a clothing swap, tried on other people's castoffs, people could claim any item they liked, and anything that wasn't taken at the end of the evening was donated to charity. The few girls who wore my old size made out like bandits, because I had just cleaned out my closet.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Is it passive-aggressive of me to want to give them to my sister who has always been smaller than me, but won't be anymore soon?
    haha
  • arditarose
    Options
    Right now I have a stack of clothes I need to bring to the tailor to have taken in. I've only dropped about a size (or two) and have no intention of getting any smaller, so I am still wearing most of my old tops...it's the skirts and pants that don't fit right. So the things I love (or that are relatively recent purchases) I will have altered, and anything I can't see myself wearing again will be donated.

A few months ago I hosted a fun "girls night in". I invited a group of friends over and told everyone to bring a few items of clothing (and accessories) that were in good condition but that they no longer wore. We opened a few bottles of wine and did a clothing swap, tried on other people's castoffs, people could claim any item they liked, and anything that wasn't taken at the end of the evening was donated to charity. The few girls who wore my old size made out like bandits, because I had just cleaned out my closet.

I don't know any girls that could wear my 31 pants! Most of my friends are smaller than me...softer, but smaller. At least in the hips :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time getting rid of mine! I have that fear that I'll need them again someday, but that's probably an unhealthy fear. Anyway, what have you guys done with your clothes that no longer fit-store them away, donate, sell?

I have some stuff that is to pricey to donate, I would need to make some money off of them to help buy a new wardrobe.

I'm not worried about needing my old clothes again, but it is hard to get rid of them. I have a ton. I put everything in a couple of bags. I sent some to a resale website, but they didn't accept many even though they were hardly worn and I included a bunch of jewelry I designed, which pissed me off. I'm going to see about getting that back.

I've given some to the Salvation Army, and I listed some on eBay. I'll probably do another eBay listing of some, but it takes a while to list them even with an offline bulk lister, so I have to find a couple of days when I don't have anything to do.