Should People Be Allowed To Smoke In Public ?

Options
donyellemoniquex3
donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
Yes, or No and why ? My take is that you should only smoke in designated areas, and that area should be outside and in a small specific area. However, if you're at a restaurant eating in the patio then you should NOT be allowed to smoke.

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    I think you shouldn't be able to smoke in any public area unless it's been specifically ok'd for smoking.
    Walking past someone smoking in the park and having to chow down on that smoke isn't right.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Yes but in designated areas, same in bars and restaurants. I always sat in the smoking area to avoid people with their obnoxious kids so now we try to sit near the bar so they can't have the kids around. I'm sick of all this anti smoking crap, just another politically correct tool to crush personal freedom.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    define public? Like an open area on the street? Of course...as to bars and private businesses I dont think there should be a law, let the business decide, they know their demographics.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Went to a party Saturday night. These are people I ride with. We're all cigar smokers. What usually happens is the womenfolk gather in one romm and talk about us guys, as we go outside and smoke cigars.

There were a couple guys that brought their kids. So, as we are all sitting in the backyard smoking cigars, one guy's 20 year old daughter came outside and sat down beside him. Then, she proceeded to fake cough and fan at the cigar smoke for an hour.

Why would she come out to where we were and go all drama queen on us? Kind of plssed me off.

Personally, I am going to smioke cigars. I am going to try and keep it away from non-smokers, but, if they don't like it, don't come out to where I am smoking. I'm not putting it out, because you don't like it.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I am all for freedom and for the government staying out of your choices, but when the consequences of your choice are put on other people who didn't have any say in the matter then those people should be protected. You want to smoke fine. But everyone else around you shouldn't be forced to breathe in your smoke. You want to get drunk, fine but don't get in a car and potentially endanger other people's lives.

Edit: I should be clear that I am talking about public places. In your own home, friends house, etc it's the person's rules and if I want to be there I will suck it up and ignore it or say sorry I'd love to come to your party but can't stand the smoke. Businesses often have their employees to think of even if the patrons don't mind.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Went to a party Saturday night. These are people I ride with. We're all cigar smokers. What usually happens is the womenfolk gather in one romm and talk about us guys, as we go outside and smoke cigars.

There were a couple guys that brought their kids. So, as we are all sitting in the backyard smoking cigars, one guy's 20 year old daughter came outside and sat down beside him. Then, she proceeded to fake cough and fan at the cigar smoke for an hour.

Why would she come out to where we were and go all drama queen on us? Kind of plssed me off.

Personally, I am going to smioke cigars. I am going to try and keep it away from non-smokers, but, if they don't like it, don't come out to where I am smoking. I'm not putting it out, because you don't like it.

She was being passive agressive. :-) I agree with you 100 percent.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOO!!!
    I'd rather my Children, my Grandchildren or anybody Else's children not have to be exposed to the smoke, just from walking on a public sidewalk! Thank You Very Much!
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    smoking should be illegal...period
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options

And then the government should ban fast food and mandate fat people to work out.
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options
    I am all for freedom and for the government staying out of your choices, but when the consequences of your choice are put on other people who didn't have any say in the matter then those people should be protected. You want to smoke fine. But everyone else around you shouldn't be forced to breathe in your smoke. You want to get drunk, fine but don't get in a car and potentially endanger other people's lives.

Individuals always have a say .. I do not smoke , think it is putrid to be honest , but I can up and leave anytime I want or choose to enter establishments that have smokers or non smokers... In a Capitalistic Society if there is such a strong demand ( a Niche ) for non smoking only establishments it could have been done and been very profitable... There are always solutions outside our government to deal with the majority of social issues, but for some they feel infringing on the rights of those they do not agree with or subscribe makes more sense, I am not one of those people!

p.s. Sync ... there are many worse carcinogens in the city air most of us breath everyday ... and 2nd hand smoke should be the least of your worries ...
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

So should all automobiles that use gas or diesel, including public transportation, school buses, airplanes, etc. Cows are producing too much methane and ruining the ozone, they should all be slaughtered. Period.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I was at The Eagles concert last week and chuckled when I thought back to all of the smoked filled concerts I’ve been to. They don’t even use lighters anymore at the start of the concert, they use cell phones. Times have changed and I think smokers have to find private places to smoke now and don’t complain about the smoke if you invaded a smokers area. lol.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    NOOOOOOO!!!
    I'd rather my Children, my Grandchildren or anybody Else's children not have to be exposed to the smoke, just from walking on a public sidewalk! Thank You Very Much!

Far more dangerous things are in the air that your kids are exposed to every.single.day, not JUST cigarette smoke. Also, I'm guessing you ride bicycles and walk everywhere? Cars have emissions, smog, etc.

Amazon has a great variety of hazard masks, even in kids sizes, for cheap!
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Yes. Just don't be an *kitten*. Should people be allowed to have their cars idle while waiting in parking lots? Should people be allowed to have little bonfires and roast marshmallows?
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    if i'm not allowed to smoke in my house, on my balcony, or even anywhere near my apartment complex, i'm smoking outside. sorry. :laugh:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 37 years and quit.
    Can't stand the smell of it now.
    Friends come over they smoke outside.

Like mentioned before leave it up to businesses to decide.
    I don't need new State or Federal laws!
  • tipadoo
    tipadoo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I agree that smoking should happen in designated areas. Being a 30 year smoker (quit 3 years ago), I don't like the smell anymore, but I refuse to be one of those a-holes that waves their hand and screws up their face at someone smoking outside.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Edit: I should be clear that I am talking about public places. In your own home, friends house, etc it's the person's rules and if I want to be there I will suck it up and ignore it or say sorry I'd love to come to your party but can't stand the smoke. Businesses often have their employees to think of even if the patrons don't mind.

This ^^^^
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Outside? Yes.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I really don't care if someone's smoking outside. As long as I'm not trapped in a room filled with smoke I'm ok.