Should People Be Allowed To Smoke In Public ?

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I dislike smoking a great deal. However, I am opposed to smoking bans. We have too many rules. This country was founded on freedom, not rules. People need to have freedom and choices. If we go around making everyone's choices for them, or allowing the government to make those choices for us - we will end up not being able to make choices, nor will we have choices to make.

Ah the government is such a fickle topic.

But GENERALLY speaking smoking causes cancer. Its a health risk. Government should stand up and PROTECT its people by getting tobacco off the streets.

Without going into all the facts of teenagers using, children dying of second hand smoke, and even smokers themselves being effected greatly, I think someone should regulate the rules of tobacco.

The government should mind it's own business and not protect people. We're not 4 yrs old and need protecting. If a person goes into a store and buys a pack of smokes, they know exactly what they are getting into. It's their choice to smoke and it's their choice to quit.

I'm not someone who cares if someone is smoking outside or in areas where smoking is permitted, if I don't like it, I can leave. But I'm not about to say make something I dislike illegal.

Children are dying from stupidity, should we shoot all the stupid people? Who makes that distinction?

It's easy to make general sweeping statements about something that doesn't affect you. It's like saying the government should step in and protect obese people from themselves, so if you are over a certain weight according to some chart, you need to be shipped off to fat camp for your own good, and you should lose your children because you're setting a bad example for them.

Be an adult, make your own choices, let other make theirs.

You're correct about making your own choices. But KIDS who are getting cigarettes from their friend who happens to be 18 and know no better . Or parents who smoke around their children. No one is there to protect them from the choices being made around them.

We have so MANY "stupid" people breeding to not have the government.

These things do effect everyone. Smoking effects EVERYONE. Why should people who make the CHOICE not to smoke have to endure it because others CHOOSE to smoke in public?

And honestly stupid people should not be having babies. There should be a test. And if someone is going to sit there and force feed their children fat should be put to a stop. Same with parents who force second hand smoke upon their children.

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    How should I know? I don't have shrieking kids.

Way to miss the point.
    Lighten up, I was just kidding lol As for the smoking thing, I was thinking more along the lines of public places. If you want to smoke outside, knock yourself out.

Thank you lol can't tell kidding in text :flowerforyou:
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    As long as they don't exhale.
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Militant non-smokers are annoying. Outdoors is fair game. I agree with the previous posts about other offensive odors in public. Perfumes, body odors, etc can be an assault of their own.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I dislike smoking a great deal. However, I am opposed to smoking bans. We have too many rules. This country was founded on freedom, not rules. People need to have freedom and choices. If we go around making everyone's choices for them, or allowing the government to make those choices for us - we will end up not being able to make choices, nor will we have choices to make.

But GENERALLY speaking smoking causes cancer. Its a health risk. Government should stand up and PROTECT its people by getting tobacco off the streets.

Without going into all the facts of teenagers using, children dying of second hand smoke, and even smokers themselves being effected greatly, I think someone should regulate the rules of tobacco.

The government should mind it's own business and not protect people. We're not 4 yrs old and need protecting. If a person goes into a store and buys a pack of smokes, they know exactly what they are getting into. It's their choice to smoke and it's their choice to quit.

I'm not someone who cares if someone is smoking outside or in areas where smoking is permitted, if I don't like it, I can leave. But I'm not about to say make something I dislike illegal.

Children are dying from stupidity, should we shoot all the stupid people? Who makes that distinction?

It's easy to make general sweeping statements about something that doesn't affect you. It's like saying the government should step in and protect obese people from themselves, so if you are over a certain weight according to some chart, you need to be shipped off to fat camp for your own good, and you should lose your children because you're setting a bad example for them.

You're correct about making your own choices. But KIDS who are getting cigarettes from their friend who happens to be 18 and know no better . Or parents who smoke around their children. No one is there to protect them from the choices being made around them.

These things do effect everyone. Smoking effects EVERYONE. Why should people who make the CHOICE not to smoke have to endure it because others CHOOSE to smoke in public?

And honestly stupid people should not be having babies. There should be a test. And if someone is going to sit there and force feed their children fat should be put to a stop. Same with parents who force second hand smoke upon their children.

Here, thinking of the children:

candycigs.jpg
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    With States slowly legalizing marijuana, I doubt they are going to ban cigarettes.

I enjoy a cigar at the end of the day when I go for a walk or as I am BBQing in my backyard. I make a point to not smoke around non-smokers and will ask the persons around me if they would be bothered by my cigar before lighting up, but I am not going to be giving up my cigars.

Don't invade my space and expect me to put my cigar out because you don't like it. If you see me smoking and you don't like it, stay away. Second hand smoke is not as big a health hazard as trying to take my cigar from me.
  • TomTomato
    Options
    Even though I don't care for cigarette smoke, I really don't want government telling us how to live our lives or telling businesses how to run a business. I can understand the restriction in public indoor places, but not in privately owned businesses or homes. We are almost living in a nanny state as it is. We've lost too many freedoms in the name of 'safety'.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    smoking should be illegal...period

And then the government should ban fast food and mandate fat people to work out.

YES! Absolutely. Shut down Tobacco, Fire Arms, Alcohol, Fast Food, and all the other nonsense.

and cosmetic companies too , as they are unsure of the potential long term risks associated with some of the chemicals used in what goes in that hair and on those faces ...

Better yet lets all go Puritan and Amish !

Sex is potentially dangerous to your health and finances...
    ban it.
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options

Here, thinking of the children:

candycigs.jpg

Oh man see I used to have those candies! I wonder if that's what caused my hand to mouth addiction that later turned into a smoking addiction and food addiction....maybe we should ban all the candy companies too.

But in all seriousness that's the POV I see. Is from the kids. Yes smoking is legal. But children who have no say in their life or who is blowing smoke in their face someone needs to stand up for them.

I think its gross. Its no different than smoking meth on the streets to me.

And as far and marijuana becoming legal that is completely different than tobacco. I would honestly rather have people smoking that than tobacco.
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    smoking should be illegal...period

Why?
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    As long as they don't exhale.

Love this answer!:flowerforyou:
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yes! We're adults.
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Wow. Comparing meth with tobacco. Just wow.
  • Swaggs51
    Options
    Being a regular cigar smoker and who is financially impacted by the laws pressed upon tobacco smokers, I am SICK OF IT.
    No, I do not want smoking in restaurants or bars. No I do not feel people should have to pass through a cloud of smoke if they do not want to.

Loosen the restrictions. Give us tobacco smokers outlets to smoke like more CIgar bars, and lounges. People who go in there smoke. if you dont like the smoke dont go in.

Public places not around food, or a facility that is a school, high school and down ONLY, should be allowed to smoke anywhere but there.

I am sorry BUT, FU to everyone else. there is no law banning your disgusting perfume, your loud phone conversations or the Moron who walks into other people or traffic while texting. if there is open space and open air, the smkoke will not bother you.

I am also an advocate for smoker courtesy. DUDE DONT GOT SPARK A STICK in front of people who are already sitting down in central park. walk somewhere else.

WE can all get along and I will NOT let my rights as a smoker be violated anymore. CRA! (Cigar Rights of America)
  • Strange_magic
    Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I no longer smoke.
    I really don't care for the smell. But seriously, as somebody stated there are PLENTY of other offensive odors outside.

So let the people smoke *somewhere.

Do you really want a bunch of people mid nicotine fit on the loose? No.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Did you know, in Maine (not sure if there are other similar states) It is illegal to smoke in your own vehicle if you have kids with you?

If you can drink in public, you can smoke in public. I dont enjoy walking behind smokers - my hubby gets embarassingly melodramatic and makes gagging noises so I dont enjoy walking with HIM behind smokers. But I can move out of the way. Smokers only hurt themselves (and yes second hand is bad for others too) but I am certainly not going to tell people they cannot enjoy a smoke outside of their own homes.

I hate watching people drink in public. Cause, for the most part, that means they are going to be driving soon. I have always had issue with drinking then driving, I dont care if you have high alcohol tolerance (like I do) or your legal limit is .08, the fact that drinking DOES impair judgement, period, makes the drinker a risk to not just themselves but to everyone they encounter.

I enjoy eating in public, I would feel affronted if someone made faces at me because (being overweight) I should not be eating so much/that stuff/at all.

I do not smoke. I come from a family of chain smokers. My dad just had major surgery for an aortic bypass to his legs thanks LARGELY to him being a smoker for most of his 65 years, after already having stints put in the same arteries and being told DO NOT SMOKE OR YOU WILL DIE. He smoked, the stints failed. Major surgery- DO NOT SMOKE OR YOU WILL DIE. I am fairly sure he will be smoking again by the end of the year despite the very sobering prognosis of 5 years MAYBE to live (After a series of ugly amputations) if he goes back to smoking. So yea, I have strong opinions on smoking. But it's their perogative to smokee, and they are willing to pay the ridiculous costs financially and physically. Public smoking?

Stop drinking in public first, then we can discuss
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Options
    I loved candy cigarettes as a kid and it never turned me into a smoker. I can't stand being around it, so it's banned in my house and I don't go to places where I'll be exposed. I'm for freedom to do what you want, as long as it doesn't impinge on my own freedoms, so I have no problem with certain smoking-allowed places. I also support legalizing pot, even though I've never smoked it myself. Hey, this is America, so do what you want as long as it's in an appropriate place and it doesn't hurt me.

However, there's an interesting slippery slope I've been thinking about lately as I prepare to move to my new home. It's a town home, and I'll have a side yard where I'm not likely to be exposed to people standing around smoking cigarettes, cigars, or whatever. However, some of the other homes have tiny back patios that are adjacent and literally right on top of each other, so if a person smokes in one, the person in the other is going to smell it as though they're standing right next to them because they pretty much are. They're very enclosed, too, so the smoke won't easily drift away. If you hated smoke and lived next to a chain smoker or cigar enthusiast there, I don't know how you'd stand it. You could complain, but technically the person is smoking on their own property and it's the most convenient spot if they don't want to smoke in their house. I would never buy a place like that, but I'm sure some people do without thinking it through.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    These days, I think no smoking in / near a restaurant (especially on a dining patio) and not near buildings. I'm willing to make those compromises. However, I think people should be allowed to smoke in public, outside, or in those designated areas inside the airport. I don't think others should be subjected to it, but I don't think smokers should have to change their lifestyle if they don't want to. We aren't on a mission, as a society, to outlaw other unhealthy decisions (drinking, being overweight / not exercising, consuming pesticides or chemicals or pharmaceuticals with awful side-effects), so why change smoking just because it's suddenly unpopular.
  • Swaggs51
    Options
    Where are my fellow cigar smokers... uggh god... CRA
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I was a 32 year smoker. I don't mind if they smoke as long as it's outdoors at least 60 feet away from doors. Personally, I don't mind the passive smoke, but that's me. As for businesses, let the owners of the businesses decide if they want to permit it inside or not.