Should People Be Allowed To Smoke In Public ?

Options

Replies

• tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    smoking should be illegal...period

And then the government should ban fast food and mandate fat people to work out.

This. When government starts limiting one persons freedom....it won't be long before they take them all. BTW...I am an ex smoker. I personally can't stand the smell but people have the right to choose.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I dislike smoking a great deal. However, I am opposed to smoking bans. We have too many rules. This country was founded on freedom, not rules. People need to have freedom and choices. If we go around making everyone's choices for them, or allowing the government to make those choices for us - we will end up not being able to make choices, nor will we have choices to make.

Ah the government is such a fickle topic.

But GENERALLY speaking smoking causes cancer. Its a health risk. Government should stand up and PROTECT its people by getting tobacco off the streets.

Without going into all the facts of teenagers using, children dying of second hand smoke, and even smokers themselves being effected greatly, I think someone should regulate the rules of tobacco.

The government should mind it's own business and not protect people. We're not 4 yrs old and need protecting. If a person goes into a store and buys a pack of smokes, they know exactly what they are getting into. It's their choice to smoke and it's their choice to quit.

I'm not someone who cares if someone is smoking outside or in areas where smoking is permitted, if I don't like it, I can leave. But I'm not about to say make something I dislike illegal.

Children are dying from stupidity, should we shoot all the stupid people? Who makes that distinction?

It's easy to make general sweeping statements about something that doesn't affect you. It's like saying the government should step in and protect obese people from themselves, so if you are over a certain weight according to some chart, you need to be shipped off to fat camp for your own good, and you should lose your children because you're setting a bad example for them.

Be an adult, make your own choices, let other make theirs.
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options
    Frankly, I dislike smoking a great deal. However, I am opposed to smoking bans. We have too many rules. This country was founded on freedom, not rules. People need to have freedom and choices. If we go around making everyone's choices for them, or allowing the government to make those choices for us - we will end up not being able to make choices, nor will we have choices to make.

But GENERALLY speaking smoking causes cancer. Its a health risk. Government should stand up and PROTECT its people by getting tobacco off the streets.

Without going into all the facts of teenagers using, children dying of second hand smoke, and even smokers themselves being effected greatly, I think someone should regulate the rules of tobacco.

The government should mind it's own business and not protect people. We're not 4 yrs old and need protecting. If a person goes into a store and buys a pack of smokes, they know exactly what they are getting into. It's their choice to smoke and it's their choice to quit.

I'm not someone who cares if someone is smoking outside or in areas where smoking is permitted, if I don't like it, I can leave. But I'm not about to say make something I dislike illegal.

Children are dying from stupidity, should we shoot all the stupid people? Who makes that distinction?

It's easy to make general sweeping statements about something that doesn't affect you. It's like saying the government should step in and protect obese people from themselves, so if you are over a certain weight according to some chart, you need to be shipped off to fat camp for your own good, and you should lose your children because you're setting a bad example for them.

You're correct about making your own choices. But KIDS who are getting cigarettes from their friend who happens to be 18 and know no better . Or parents who smoke around their children. No one is there to protect them from the choices being made around them.

We have so MANY "stupid" people breeding to not have the government.

These things do effect everyone. Smoking effects EVERYONE. Why should people who make the CHOICE not to smoke have to endure it because others CHOOSE to smoke in public?

And honestly stupid people should not be having babies. There should be a test. And if someone is going to sit there and force feed their children fat should be put to a stop. Same with parents who force second hand smoke upon their children.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

You're correct about making your own choices. But KIDS who are getting cigarettes from their friend who happens to be 18 and know no better . Or parents who smoke around their children. No one is there to protect them from the choices being made around them.

These things do effect everyone. Smoking effects EVERYONE. Why should people who make the CHOICE not to smoke have to endure it because others CHOOSE to smoke in public?

Drugs are outlawed...how's that whole government cracking down thing working there? Kids are getting it from kids.

There are much bigger fish to fry than smoking. And no, the government stepping in is not the answer. It was never meant to be the answer. It was never designed to be the answer...at least not in the United States. However, there are plenty of other countries a person can move to if they want that kind of government ruling.
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options

Drugs are outlawed...how's that whole government cracking down thing working there? Kids are getting it from kids.

There are much bigger fish to fry than smoking. And no, the government stepping in is not the answer. It was never meant to be the answer. It was never designed to be the answer...at least not in the United States. However, there are plenty of other countries a person can move to if they want that kind of government ruling.

Absolutely there are other fish to fry but this is what you responded to in the topic.

Yes drugs are outlawed. But people still get them. I highly doubt kids would smoke if they didn't already have them prepackaged and handed to them like candy. You don't see a lot of 14yrs old who can roll a zig zag.

I really think if they stopped making cigarettes that would solve the problem. Which has nothing to do with the government.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Well... until cigarettes and other tobacco smoking products are no longer sold / illegal, yeah, it should be allowed in designated public places...
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options
    @ lost

Parents need to start being parents. You are trying to talk about kids smoking like it is a big thing. yet the number of teens smokers in the U.S. Has been declining for over the last the decade... Parents raising their kids of a fast food/processed food/ high sugar diet should be a much bigger concern than that of smoking or second hand smoke... It really is not as big of an issue as many would like to make it... People need to start taking responsibility for their own actions ( and most kids are pretty capable by 12 - 14 of making decent choices if parents raised them even half way right. If smokers want to smoke in designated public places then they should be allowed to do so without being patronized by those that disagree with the behavior.
    as for your comment on stupidity and government having to protect them from themselves... Take a biology class , let government step aside , while natural selection takes place ...
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options
    @ lost

Parents need to start being parents. You are trying to talk about kids smoking like it is a big thing. yet the number of teens smokers in the U.S. Has been declining for over the last the decade... Parents raising their kids of a fast food/processed food/ high sugar diet should be a much bigger concern than that of smoking or second hand smoke... It really is not as big of an issue as many would like to make it... People need to start taking responsibility for their own actions ( and most kids are pretty capable by 12 - 14 of making decent choices if parents raised them even half way right. If smokers want to smoke in designated public places then they should be allowed to do so without being patronized by those that disagree with the behavior.
    as for your comment on stupidity and government having to protect them from themselves... Take a biology class , let government step aside , while natural selection takes place ...

If only it was that easy!

I would love to see what would happen if all government was relieved of their posts. However, I don't see that happening any time soon.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Restaurant patio is not "public", so the restaurant gets to decide.

"Public" in general? Outside? Sure.

Glad someone else understands the distinction.

I concur. It should be something that gets decided by business owners.

That being said, I live in California and it's been smoke-free inside for years. I'm always thrown back when traveling and see a pregnant lady or small children in a restaurant where there's smoking.

That being said, I think people have the personal choice to protect themselves - they don't have to go to restaurants if there's smoking. No one is forcing them to eat there. I get migraines from smog and exhaust fumes. There have also been studies that show increased risk in lung development and other issues for children who live within a mile of the freeway/highway (who knows if its still accurate) so I chose to take that under advisement and when I purchased my house - I made sure it was more than 2 miles from the freeway.

If you care, you can protect yourself.
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options
    I just saw the other day a young mother probably only 18 with a baby in her car and she smoking. A few weeks ago I saw some old lady with a 5yr old in the back seat smoking. I see teenagers smoking. Yes, the smoking rate has gone down but its still a huge issue.

As a child I suffered in the back seat while my mother smoked. And later grew up to smoke. I quit because its disgusting and I know how harmful it can be. But as someone who has suffered and the fact that I have to tolerate it in public places such as my car or even outside from neighbors or out side of movie theaters and restaurants seems unfair.

Its toxic. My daughters school says "Please do not Idle" because the exhaust from a car is toxic. Same is smoke.

Stop making cigarettes and the problem of cancer and second hand smoke is cured!
  • ceron1234
    ceron1234 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Stop making cigarettes and the problem of cancer and second hand smoke is cured!

Smoking is not the only thing that triggers cancer in people.
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options

Smoking is not the only thing that triggers cancer in people.

sorry for not being specific.

**Stop making cigarettes and the problem of cancer CREATED by tobacco/cigarettes and second hand smoke is cured.

Better??
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    no, they should only be allowed to smoke under their bed.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The problem with this issue is the question makes the assumption that we NEED the government deciding what we are ALLOWED to do. I do not smoke and nervier have but am capable of not doing business where they choose to have smoking.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Outside is totally fine. If you don't like it you can easily move away from it. Majority of smokers are very considerate . Business owners know their demographics so they should decide.

What should we ban next???? In NY City you cant get a soda larger then 16 ounces and you have to ask for salt in a restaurant its no longer on the tables.....
  • whitehorse67
    whitehorse67 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I live in what USED to be a free nation. If I am outside in public I will do what I want. If someone doesn't like it, then they can move to another area and exercise their right to choose NOT to smoke. Call me a "jerk" but Someones right to NOT do something does not trump my right TO do something....I don't blow smoke at people, but If they are concerned that my cigarette smoke is going to harm them, then they should remove themselves from my presence.

Yeah...Yeah.....smoking is bad for you, but so are big mac's, donuts and soda....people still do it.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I live in what USED to be a free nation. If I am outside in public I will do what I want. If someone doesn't like it, then they can move to another area and exercise their right to choose NOT to smoke. Call me a "jerk" but Someones right to NOT do something does not trump my right TO do something....I don't blow smoke at people, but If they are concerned that my cigarette smoke is going to harm them, then they should remove themselves from my presence.

Yeah...Yeah.....smoking is bad for you, but so are big mac's, donuts and soda....people still do it.

+1

I'm as considerate as I possibly can be and if that's not good enough for people *shrugs* too bad.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada...

We are not allowed to smoke in resturants, bars etc.

Not in Cabs

We have to move I think it's 15 meters (about 30 feet) from a public entrance to a business
    we cannot smoke on school grounds (even as adults) nor on hospital grounds...

some cities have banned smoking on public streets...

I personally thinks it's BS...but I am a smoker but I am a considerate smoker...

At work people complain about where we smoke because they walk through it to get into the building...ah go to the other 5 doors...

It is getting stupid...they tried to make it illegal to smoke in our own cars if we had children...not when the kids were in the car but at anytime...that got stomped down fast....I think we smokers have had enough.
  • ceron1234
    ceron1234 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    And for those who say just make them illegal;

In 2013 the U.S. Government collected $43,000,000,000 in taxes collected from cigarette sales.

The government will never ban cigarettes because of the tax revenue.

Alcohol prohibition didn't work either.