On Taking Offense

123457»

Replies

• jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    This is possibly the most ridiculous post I've seen on here.

Then again, lonely drunken men and women have given us some of the greatest works the world has ever seen (or read for that matter).

However, 'MERICA!!!!!!! And you can quote me OP.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,159 Member
    Dear OP,

Enjoyed Reading Your Health and Fitness Advice, C&P here:

"There are several possibilities as to why you're not losing:

(1) Diet. I wasn't losing for a month but when I switched my diet and incorporated more unprocessed foods--vegetables, fruits, sweet potatoes, whole grains, fish, chicken, beans--I broke out of it.

(1)(b) Hormones: I also took a day every week or two to not log and to eat whatever I wanted. There's some science behind restoring hormonal levels every so often by eating a bit over your maintenance. When you go back to caloric restriction, your body is more or less primed to lose weight.

(2) You're breaking down muscle mass and lowering BMR through extensive cardio and dieting. Endurance running, if not coupled with strength training and adequate caloric intake, can over time decrease your lean body mass (muscle). To preserve muscle, you should be eating no less than 500 to 1,000 below your TDEE and getting sufficient protein (0.75g/lb. seems t be a solid figure from studies I've read). Since every pound of muscle burns 50 more calories than a pound of fat, when you burn off your muscle it creates a system of diminishing returns on weight loss.

Overall, you said you got good results when you were on 30-day shred (which builds some muscle) and eating more unprocessed foods, so what does that tell you? I bet you anything you've plateaued because a combination of muscle breakdown and diet.

Finally, some of the anti-carb posts--no bread, carbs at 25 percent--are flat-out stupid for someone training for a half marathon. You simply won't have the endurance you need to complete the race. I've lost consistently at 50 percent carbs, a 500cal deficit to TDEE most days, and running about 8-12 miles a week mixed in with strength training on non-running days.

Pasta (multi-grain or even something like Barilla), bread and potatoes are totally fine, unless you have either insulin resistance or gluten intolerance (which is one percent of the population). Sweet potatoes are much lower in GI as another poster pointed out. "
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Dear OP,

Enjoyed Reading Your Health and Fitness Advice, C&P here:

"There are several possibilities as to why you're not losing:

(1) Diet. I wasn't losing for a month but when I switched my diet and incorporated more unprocessed foods--vegetables, fruits, sweet potatoes, whole grains, fish, chicken, beans--I broke out of it.

(1)(b) Hormones: I also took a day every week or two to not log and to eat whatever I wanted. There's some science behind restoring hormonal levels every so often by eating a bit over your maintenance. When you go back to caloric restriction, your body is more or less primed to lose weight.

(2) You're breaking down muscle mass and lowering BMR through extensive cardio and dieting. Endurance running, if not coupled with strength training and adequate caloric intake, can over time decrease your lean body mass (muscle). To preserve muscle, you should be eating no less than 500 to 1,000 below your TDEE and getting sufficient protein (0.75g/lb. seems t be a solid figure from studies I've read). Since every pound of muscle burns 50 more calories than a pound of fat, when you burn off your muscle it creates a system of diminishing returns on weight loss.

Overall, you said you got good results when you were on 30-day shred (which builds some muscle) and eating more unprocessed foods, so what does that tell you? I bet you anything you've plateaued because a combination of muscle breakdown and diet.

Finally, some of the anti-carb posts--no bread, carbs at 25 percent--are flat-out stupid for someone training for a half marathon. You simply won't have the endurance you need to complete the race. I've lost consistently at 50 percent carbs, a 500cal deficit to TDEE most days, and running about 8-12 miles a week mixed in with strength training on non-running days.

Pasta (multi-grain or even something like Barilla), bread and potatoes are totally fine, unless you have either insulin resistance or gluten intolerance (which is one percent of the population). Sweet potatoes are much lower in GI as another poster pointed out. "
    lolwut
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    I do like this quote, though, from Fry:
    "The free and happy use of words seems to be considered elitist or pretentious."
    I'm back, couldn't stay away. Fry is not only intelligent, but wise.

It's not the individual words that people have a problem with, but it is how you've chosen to weave them together. There might be something intelligent here and there in that weave, but there isn't much wisdom, but rather insults. I don't smell much humility in there either.

I spoke of the general trend of debasing language through textspeak.

In return, I was personally called a hipster with compromised genitalia; pretentious; arrogant, and so forth.

And I'm the insulting one here? I think not.
    -G.e.C

Edit: Also, you persist in wanting to make this about who I am--or rather your perceptions of my character--rather than the argument. This, I don't understand. Especially in a nation that elected a "likeable" guy such as George Bush, whose presidency was considered by historical experts to be a disaster. Bush won because he played the part of the "eiron"--the plain-speaking, non-pretentious guy. This is to be desired?
    All I read are your words and how they are woven together. Once I step back and take a look at the weave, I don't see a message inviting gently and kindly to a respectful debate. It is character that chooses how to present the words. If you read with care many other contributions, I'm not alone in my assessment. In fact, some seem to feel that you were the first one to insult others, not the other way round.

Bush has never been my president.

As for personality vs. character, I'm not quite sure whether it's your personality or character that made you start this thread:
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/happiness-in-world/201104/personality-vs-character

ETA
    I'm not sure whether you noticed, but I'm one of few to respond with something actually on topic and that contribution has been completely ignored. If you're keen on discussing textisms, why not push the train back on track?

Quoted for complete and utter truth. I don't think OP is interested in debate, just in finding people who think the way he does or finding people to praise him for his use of longer words when shorter ones would suit. No offense meant, OP, but you are on an internet forum, not at school giving a dissertation. Just because you can use more convoluted language doesn't mean you should.
    If we really stretch it, this could be called University of Life, though.

I want to add that English isn't my first or even third language, so perhaps OP could take that into account as well in a place like this online. I produce it to the best of my abilities, but a vast vocabulary isn't my forte. Punctuation is my Achilles' heel and the occasional grammar mistake can also be found.
    Yeah, see, reasons like this are why I hate that OP said English was a "proper" language. I'd venture that you're far more intelligent and doing much better than the OP because you CAN speak more languages.
    Further, it reeks of nationalism and classism, and that's just gross.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Google that if you must.

http://bit.ly/1uGGg4a

Oh, and Dylan Thomas was Welsh.
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    This: http://youtu.be/arupGvTToQ0

Just as an F.Y.I., the English spoken in the US is a bastardization of proper English. Therefore, before you go on a rant about speaking "proper English", you may want to take a moment to think about what you're asking people to do. Being a sesquipedalian orator doesn't make you appear to smarter, it makes you look like a pretentious tool. It also makes it seem like you're trying to overcompensate. Perhaps mask your feelings of inadequacy? Either way, if you want to be an language elitist, you may want to start spelling things properly as well. Here's a nice starting off point:

colour
    behaviour
    humour
    rumour
    honour
    armour