Fitness Devices Garmin/Polar/Bodymedia etc. - Ask Me

Options
124»

Replies

• SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Is there a good app/device that can do stress checks? Like to indicate if you're approaching overtraining or just stressed in general? I've tried the Azumio app that measures stress level by measuring heart rate variability, but I question it's accuracy (and precision for that matter). Obviously you can check your stress level qualitatively, but I was wondering if there's really any good quantitative measurements out there.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Is there a good app/device that can do stress checks? Like to indicate if you're approaching overtraining or just stressed in general? I've tried the Azumio app that measures stress level by measuring heart rate variability, but I question it's accuracy (and precision for that matter). Obviously you can check your stress level qualitatively, but I was wondering if there's really any good quantitative measurements out there.

You can look into the ithlete app or you can look for one of the Garmin's with First Beat and EPOC technology.
    I would suggest that you keep an exercise diary - no device will ever measure the qualitative / mental elements of over-training.

See the firstbeat.com for other products.
  • ck1223
    ck1223 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Most mid-high end Polar monitors have a "Smart Coach" feature called "OwnZone" which listens to the status of your heart rate and provides you a target range for your training session to ensure you're not over training that day.

"Polar OwnZone® determines your personal heart rate limits for a training session. Depending on the day and time, your physical state may vary, for instance, if you are stressed or tired, or if you are not fully recovered from your latest training session, Polar can determine that information from your heart rate and guide you to your ideal training zone for that moment"

I use it on my RS300X. The RS300X also has a VO2max test which is nice. It'll use that test to determine your HRmax and HRmin. I believe it recommends to test your VO2max level every 3 months.
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'd like to have as much useful data as I can get in terms of my activity, calories burnt, distance, speed, steps, and the rest. I'm a bit geeky and like my stats and charts. My main activities are cycling, walking, and the workout routine set by my physiotherapist.
    I currently have a Garmin 500 GPS with the associated HRM which is sufficient for my bike rides and a Fitbit Zip to record my daily steps.
    My question is what device(s) would you recommend to be able to more accurately monitor my everyday activity and calorie burn given the devices I already own?
    Just an added point - I have had issues with blood pressure and a lower than average heart rate in the past so knowing my heart rate over an entire 24hr period wound be of interest. I guess I could keep the Garmin 500 in my pocket whilst wearing the chest strap but I've read elsewhere that the Garmin Edge devices are pretty poor for recording correctly running and walking activity?
    Thanks
  • jaysejo
    Options
    I'm looking for a device to track calories burnt during exercise classes - zumba, body combat and body blast. Any ideas gratefully received thank you x
  • craftytasha
    craftytasha Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to buy a watch and heart rate monitor that has these features
    1. has a gps so that I can track my distance and speed when I go for runs
    2. has a hrm that can track calories burned during runs and circuit workouts
    3. can easily sync to my iPod 5 or macbook air so I can easily enter in calories burned and look at data to improve my workouts
    4. Is under $350
    5. if possible, user data profiles (height, weight, age) can be switched back in forth because I will be splitting the cost and sharing the device with another family member

• tifftaffy
    tifftaffy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Based on great reviews, I had bought the Polar FT60, but just read about the Basis Peak. I am returning the Polar FT60 and pre-ordered Basis Peak! Besides all of the neat "bells and whistles", it also looks like I'd be able to replace the straps on it, something i don't think I could do on the FT60.
  • Bulbmore4
    Bulbmore4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    which activity monitor will give heart rate from the wrist strap not the chest strap. I don't want to wear a chest strap all day. I am one of thos average Janes that just wants to keep heart rate up while doing cardio stuff. need it to be idiot proof for synch and stuff.
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I just got my new Garmin FR15 and set up a Garmin Connect profile.
    I've been uploading runs for about a week now and can see the data on their GC site under 'activities.'

Today, under "Calories" I did the "Sync with MFP" After a bit it reported that it was sync'd. And GC said 172 calories were being sent to MFP. Great.

My question is, I would like the run, and time, and calories, to be sent to MFP so that I can see them on my MFP page Under exercise.

It it true that the only thing I get by having these two profiles and the FR15 is that by syncing them, GC will send a single number over "172" to MFP which will can't it as negative calories on my daily amount. Is there no other data transferred in a sync?
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I sync'd again and now see 'running 172 calories' in MFP. Guess it worked.