"Clean" vs. "unclean" eating studies?

Options

Replies

• glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Exactly. Cashews are deadly if they're not processed. You literally cannot eat raw cashews without dying. Are they unclean?

And what if you make a fruit pie sweetened with honey? Does that make it clean?

I think there needs to be a distinction made here- the type of processing with cashews is steaming. IMO that is still clean, especially if they are organic/pesticide free.

Sweetening a fruit pie with honey does not make it clean, necessarily. But sweetening with white sugar does make it unclean. (to me!) Sugarcane is subject to harsh chemical processing which removes all of the natural enzymes, molasses, and fiber of the plant to turn it into what we know of as sugar. To me, why eat that when I can substitute something closer to it's natural state like maple syrup or raw honey? Again, that's just my take on it. Not saying I never have it, but I think today I had 2 teaspoons because I'm out of maple syrup.

Someone mentioned yogurt. There are a lot of varieties of yogurt. Some have additives, colors, flavors, etc. Also- dairy unless organic is probably unclean as it can contain antibiotics, hormones, and fed GMOs, and often comes from animals who are sick from the conditions where they are raise. I prefer not to ingest those things. (I also prefer not to support that system on a moral level when it is within my means.) So to me, it is very likely unclean. However, organic plain yogurt, especially if it's full fat, I feel good about.

One thing I learned through this thread though, is that there is not a generally agreed upon definition of clean eating. That doesn't mean it has to be villainized though, as it often does on some of these threads. :flowerforyou:

I will continue eating as "clean" as possible regardless of what the studies say, because I just don't want to eat pesticides and hormones. Hippy dippy or not, I have ethical problems with the big business disregard for health, environment, etc just to make a buck, but that's for another thread...

And thanks to everyone who has posted actual information and links on the subject. I find this topic very interesting and am enjoying learning even more!
  • glasshalffull713
    Options
    I don't think canning your tomatoes is unclean. Actually, in my personal definition, I would consider it very clean, if grown without pesticides. You know exactly what is in it, no additives, minimally processed without the use of chemicals.

I can't speak for others here, but in the canning example it may be that there is BPA in the lining of the can which leeches into the food. I am not hardcore enough to buy cans labeled BPA free, but I also don't really eat much canned food, as I generally gravitate towards fresh whole foods and cooking myself. Other than that if the ingredient is only pumpkin, or just a food item and salt, I also can't imagine why it would be "unclean."

And for the record, I don't actually label foods that don't fit into the clean category as "unclean." I strongly prefer not to eat them, but I guess if anything I call it processed, and when I use that term I am talking about chemically processed, not steamed, boiled, salted, or fermented.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I'll read this thread when I get home tonight...but I can give personal data supporting clean.

I took part in a BB comp on 30 Aug, came in at 184 lbs, BF 5.4%
    Yesterday, same person doing BF % measurement btw, I weighed 184, BF 7.9%

So in 20 days of my off season, where I've gone from eatting very high protein ie egg whites, chicken and fish to last 3 weeks of higher carbs/fat i.e pesto, sausage and beer..I've gained 2.5% BF. Again, same weight.

Possibly some of that is additional fluids...but for me..it's pretty obvious.
    Calories the same. Weight training the same? Did you remove most carbs leading up to your contest? Seems kinda obvious to me too.

That last week was doing various days of loading/deloading, but prior to that week, very low carbs always under 100 g but most days below 50.

Training wise have gone from two adays training session leading up to comp, reps 8-12 to once a day traiing, higher weight, reps 5-6, same number of sets per body part

And total caloric intake? That stayed the same despite the change in diet?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

Exactly. Cashews are deadly if they're not processed. You literally cannot eat raw cashews without dying. Are they unclean?

And what if you make a fruit pie sweetened with honey? Does that make it clean?

I think there needs to be a distinction made here- the type of processing with cashews is steaming. IMO that is still clean, especially if they are organic/pesticide free.

Sweetening a fruit pie with honey does not make it clean, necessarily. But sweetening with white sugar does make it unclean. (to me!) Sugarcane is subject to harsh chemical processing which removes all of the natural enzymes, molasses, and fiber of the plant to turn it into what we know of as sugar. To me, why eat that when I can substitute something closer to it's natural state like maple syrup or raw honey? Again, that's just my take on it. Not saying I never have it, but I think today I had 2 teaspoons because I'm out of maple syrup.

Someone mentioned yogurt. There are a lot of varieties of yogurt. Some have additives, colors, flavors, etc. Also- dairy unless organic is probably unclean as it can contain antibiotics, hormones, and fed GMOs, and often comes from animals who are sick from the conditions where they are raise. I prefer not to ingest those things. (I also prefer not to support that system on a moral level when it is within my means.) So to me, it is very likely unclean. However, organic plain yogurt, especially if it's full fat, I feel good about.

One thing I learned through this thread though, is that there is not a generally agreed upon definition of clean eating. That doesn't mean it has to be villainized though, as it often does on some of these threads. :flowerforyou:

I will continue eating as "clean" as possible regardless of what the studies say, because I just don't want to eat pesticides and hormones. Hippy dippy or not, I have ethical problems with the big business disregard for health, environment, etc just to make a buck, but that's for another thread...

And thanks to everyone who has posted actual information and links on the subject. I find this topic very interesting and am enjoying learning even more!

Thank you for your thoughtful response. It sounds as though you've put a great deal of thought into this subject. I was hoping that you'd perhaps be able to point to some science to back up the claims of improved health through clean eating, but I think at this point that no such science exists. Still, I can certainly respect making dietary choices based on ethics and personal preference, without making the "hippy dippy" claims.
  • glasshalffull713
    Options

Thank you for your thoughtful response. It sounds as though you've put a great deal of thought into this subject. I was hoping that you'd perhaps be able to point to some science to back up the claims of improved health through clean eating, but I think at this point that no such science exists. Still, I can certainly respect making dietary choices based on ethics and personal preference, without making the "hippy dippy" claims.

I am actually here to see the science, lol. Like I said, I would eat this way regardless, but I would love to be validated through science ;) ...or at least know if I'm not.
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=30gEiweaAVQ
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

Thanks! While this doesn't seem to answer my query in the least so far, it still is super interesting. I'm halfway through and riveted :laugh: Maybe it will get to the "clean" diet later on?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm still baffled as to what inherent quality canned food possesses that makes it automatically unclean? For example, I recently bought a can of pumpkin puree. The ingredient list: Pumpkin. That's all. They didn't even add salt. How, exactly, is this different than buying a pumpkin and pureeing it myself?

Time

LOL! Perhaps I should have been more specific, but I thought the context made the question clear...How, exactly, is a can of pumpkin puree more or less "clean" than a fresh pureed pumpkin? How does the process of canning it make it less clean, and what specific health metric is impacted by eating canned as opposed to fresh pumpkin?

It's a mystery.
  • MamaparkerParkermparker
    Options
    HI,

I recommend you watch the documentary 'Knives vs. Forks', the documentary presents scientific evidence and quotes scientific studies done around the world. Good luck.

Maru
  • DanielleRa96
    Options
    im not trying to bother but can you guys help me please http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1445679-i-eat-apron-1200-calories-without-trying-advice-please PLUS You can learn how to eat 1200 calories haha :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    HI,

I recommend you watch the documentary 'Knives vs. Forks', the documentary presents scientific evidence and quotes scientific studies done around the world. Good luck.

Maru

I'll check it out! What I'm finding, though, is that most "evidence" that people post has nothing to do with "clean" eating, and has more to do with vegetarianism. If there's proof of a difference in the health effects of "processed" veggies vs. fresh veggies, I'm definitely interested...but that doesn't seem to be the case, mostly, I suspect, because there is no difference.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I don't think canning your tomatoes is unclean. Actually, in my personal definition, I would consider it very clean, if grown without pesticides. You know exactly what is in it, no additives, minimally processed without the use of chemicals.

I can't speak for others here, but in the canning example it may be that there is BPA in the lining of the can which leeches into the food. I am not hardcore enough to buy cans labeled BPA free, but I also don't really eat much canned food, as I generally gravitate towards fresh whole foods and cooking myself. Other than that if the ingredient is only pumpkin, or just a food item and salt, I also can't imagine why it would be "unclean."

And for the record, I don't actually label foods that don't fit into the clean category as "unclean." I strongly prefer not to eat them, but I guess if anything I call it processed, and when I use that term I am talking about chemically processed, not steamed, boiled, salted, or fermented.

I think part of the problem is that you use "processed" in an atypical (inaccurate, IMO) way. Frankly, if "clean" eaters didn't go on about processing in ways that implicated such a wide variety of products that have nothing in common, I might not agree, but I'd understand more. I eat kind of similarly in some (not all) ways, so I get the desire, even if I'm more inclined to be self mocking about it and don't actually buy the health claims (I have ethical, sentimental, and taste reasons, and find it helps me to enjoy eating in a more nutritious way).

Of course, what I really wish is that we could drop the needlessly offensive and non informative term "clean" and just talk about ways we enjoy eating or what helps us. I don't find it helps me to focus on demonizing foods or making silly good/bad distinctions, and I don't think processing hurts us--there's no logic there to me. But I do think it's helpful--for me, anyway--to focus on nutrient dense foods like fruits and veggies, and for me eating seasonally when possible and getting excited about that helps.

But I also like bananas and summer veggies in the winter, etc., and don't think that's bad either, unnatural as it may be. Lots of things about my life are better for being less natural.
  • MamaparkerParkermparker
    Options
    Using the pumpkin example I dare say the main difference is that if you buy a can of pumpkin the can itself is lined with a plastic that contains BPA. Also, for many people that are into clean eating, it is very important to know how the food is cooked and the one way of making absolutely sure you know is to make your own.

In terms of what is a clean diet basically it is a diet that eliminates processed foods, in other words, you eat mostly fresh vegetables, fruit, whole grains and high quality lean protein. Also, meats are better if the animals are fed their natural diet (no feed lots or gross chicken feed).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Whole grains are processed, but again the part of this that makes no sense to me is lean meats. Not only are they no less processed than fattier cuts, but it would seem "cleaner" to eat all of the animal.

Sigh. I suppose I should stop demanding some kind of consistency.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

That piece of propaganda is a travesty of logic and makes a mockery of science.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

Thanks! While this doesn't seem to answer my query in the least so far, it still is super interesting. I'm halfway through and riveted :laugh: Maybe it will get to the "clean" diet later on?

Now this video was actually very interesting. It did not address "clean" eating at all. Not a single mention of anything which could be construed as "clean" as it was primarily focused on promoting a vegan diet. However, the whole time it was playing, I was on Google Scholar looking up studies on the information in the video, and while I can't say conclusively that going full vegan is necessary to promote health, I can say that through the overwhelming abundance of information to support it, I will most definitely be cutting down on my consumption of animal products. Or at least giving that a try...I do love my burgers.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I am sure these people ate "clean" all there lives and these picture are just flukes. I wonder if those cakes are clean, non-processed,sugar-free, gluten-free, flour-free etc.
    th?id=HN.608023904609960453&pid=15.1&P=0
    th?id=HN.607997078241739203&pid=15.1&P=0

Haven't read all the responses but although the cake was white chocolate, it does appear that the Ms. #116 does (or did, sorry) eat pretty "clean"

http://www.ndtv.com/article/offbeat/world-s-oldest-person-kind-of-happy-to-turn-116-491949

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa_diet
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'll read this thread when I get home tonight...but I can give personal data supporting clean.

I took part in a BB comp on 30 Aug, came in at 184 lbs, BF 5.4%
    Yesterday, same person doing BF % measurement btw, I weighed 184, BF 7.9%

So in 20 days of my off season, where I've gone from eatting very high protein ie egg whites, chicken and fish to last 3 weeks of higher carbs/fat i.e pesto, sausage and beer..I've gained 2.5% BF. Again, same weight.

Possibly some of that is additional fluids...but for me..it's pretty obvious.
    Calories the same. Weight training the same? Did you remove most carbs leading up to your contest? Seems kinda obvious to me too.

That last week was doing various days of loading/deloading, but prior to that week, very low carbs always under 100 g but most days below 50.

Training wise have gone from two adays training session leading up to comp, reps 8-12 to once a day traiing, higher weight, reps 5-6, same number of sets per body part

And total caloric intake? That stayed the same despite the change in diet?

To be honest, I haven't logged my food since my comp. After 9 months of watching every gram, I wanted to go commado for a while. According to my wife, I must be eatting twice as much...but that can't be true, maybe the first few days, but no, I'd say I'm within 500 calories. But like I said, that's a guess and not scientific.

Also just two caveats: As I moved closer and closer to my comp date..more protein. While I did eat a lot of green vegs...I don't think this type of diet is the best long term. Very lopsided. Secondly, as someone said, you are asking about health not just weight loss or in my case, BF. So I don't want to lead anyone down the rosey path. Just throwing my info out there as one set of data to consider.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Yes! There's lots of research out there!

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

This blog is wonderful, and his article here looks at a lot of studies that support the idea that not all calories are created equal. A carb calorie and a fat calorie interact very differently in the body. Too many carbs will make you hungry and fat much more easily than less carbs and more fat!

From my research (and experience), basically I've learned nutrient-dense, low carb food is the way to go!
  • drazani
    drazani Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It seems to me after reading these posts that there is no clear defintion of "clean", everyone does what works for them, peoples ethics and beliefs seem to play a part in each individuals interpretation.

It is so easy to find evedence to backup diets either way, all the pro diet camps (vegan,clean,atkins etc) will use studies that suit their claims and vice versa for any diets that are seen as rivals to these.

What works best for me is a balanced diet that suits my lifestyle and budget (if i see non organic foods cheaper than organic, i will buy them). I personally would find it very hard if not impossible to follow a diet/lifestyle that banned the eating of certain foods or limited what you could have on the basis of very hard to define parameters i.e processed, as cooking is a form of processing so would i have to eat everything raw?. Calorie counting works for me as i don't even feel like im "dieting" .

*Edited for reading clarity.