The cold hard truth about Chipotle Burrito Bowls

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You made me remember the lady on MFP who takes her food scale with her every time she goes to Chipotle.

Wow. That's dedication. i'm impressed!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    This is the same for drinks at a bar or a burger at McDonald's - bartenders/employees will often give you extra liquor/condiments, throwing off the calorie count, and feel they're doing you a favor. Eating out is always a really rough estimate, even if they do provide caloric information.

simply not true re mcdonalds. food cost is the biggest controllable on their profit and loss statement.
    a generic and wildy dangerous statement.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    There is always the option of ordering a salad... I went there last night and ordered salad, no beans no rice, double chicken, salsa and 1/2 serving of cheese (which was probably a whole portion). Lots of protein, kept me full. Maybe more calories than what the online counter told me based on this post, but at least they were protein calories which I don't get enough of anyways!

Thanks OP for sharing this though, that 70% number is shocking and I will certainly keep it in mind! That being said, this is one of the reasons I hate eating out. I never eat fast food and usually ask them to modify everything I order at a restaurant with removing things, serving things on the side, grilled chicken vs. fried, etc. Eating out is a PITA for calorie tracking!!!
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    664046_zpsb23cdcbf.jpg

Edited because I have issues posting pictures.

Screw the burrito bowl, get a quesaritto and be happy.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Your name wouldn't be "Moe" by any chance, would it? :laugh:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    It's not Chipotles fault though.

I get a burrito. The shell is ~300. When they add the rice, I make sure to tell them only one scoop, and normally I'll make sure it's a small scoop. Then one scoop of chicken. I tell them a little cheese, and I get lettuce. It's logged as 770 calories - I throw an extra 100 on to cover any discrepancies. If you let them fill up the bowl with rice, and only count it as one serving, that's your own fault.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Cold hard truth - it's delicious and IDGAF.

(However if I were trying to lose weight, I would GAF and not blame others when I could/should be making my own food if it were that important)

sCgtgLz.jpg
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think it is their fault if their posted nutritional info is purposely understating their portion sizes by 70%.
  • Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks the OP's advice of doubling the amount of calories a little extreme. If you weigh your food consistently, you know what 4oz of meat or 1Cup of cooked rice looks like. When the individual items are added to your diary, give your self and extra 1-1.5oz/scoop of meat or and extra 1/4 cup/scoop of rice/beans to make up for it. But not doubling the calories, seems like ill advise to me.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    If you people would not get the fatty stuff on the burrito/bowl, then the calorie count wouldn't be that far off as what they offer isn't that high calorie otherwise.

Cheese, sour cream and guac. adds up in a hurry though.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Wait.

The burrito bowl had 70% more stuff in it? Was it the same price? Why would anyone be sad over this??

No one is sad. Post says MFP Food Calories suggestion are theoretical and underestimated.

Someone needs better reading comprehension. :laugh:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I think it is their fault if their posted nutritional info is purposely understating their portion sizes by 70%.

Their calculator gives 190 calories for 4 oz of rice, which is about 1 scoop. If you order rice, and watch them throw scoop after scoop in there, whose damn fault is that?
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    HOW DARE YOU SPEAK ABOUT CHIPOTLE IN THIS WAY YOUNG MAN
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    ...is that it's delicious?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,407 Member
    Options
    If you people would not get the fatty stuff on the burrito/bowl, then the calorie count wouldn't be that far off as what they offer isn't that high calorie otherwise.

Fats are necessary, satiating and delicious. When I get burrito style bowls (admittedly at a chain other than Chipotle), I do lettuce instead of rice, black beans, salsa, cheese, sour cream, guac(sometimes) fajita veggies, jalepenos, etc.... I'd rather have the cheese and the sour cream rather than the rice, heh. Personal preference.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks the OP's advice of doubling the amount of calories a little extreme. If you weigh your food consistently, you know what 4oz of meat or 1Cup of cooked rice looks like. When the individual items are added to your diary, give your self and extra 1-1.5oz/scoop of meat or and extra 1/4 cup/scoop of rice/beans to make up for it. But not doubling the calories, seems like ill advise to me.

That's upto every individual how much they want to estimate. If I'm not mistaken OP picked up "double" the amount to estimate. I would pick 2.5.

It's jus a suggestion this indivual giving. To take it or not is upto every individual.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    664046_zpsb23cdcbf.jpg

Edited because I have issues posting pictures.

Screw the burrito bowl, get a quesaritto and be happy.
    No. This can't be true.
    shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Their calculator gives 190 calories for 4 oz of rice, which is about 1 scoop. If you order rice, and watch them throw scoop after scoop in there, whose damn fault is that?
    Are we supposed to always pre-research how an item is prepped and the size of the restaurant scoops and keep count while the person makes it, when we eat out? How would you even do that someplace where you're not watching the prep? You'd have to deconstruct your food and weigh each piece.

Generally I order an item and trust the web site N.I. for the item. Knowing I can't do that at Chipotle is good info.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

Fats are necessary, satiating and delicious. When I get burrito style bowls (admittedly at a chain other than Chipotle), I do lettuce instead of rice, black beans, salsa, cheese, sour cream, guac(sometimes) fajita veggies, jalepenos, etc.... I'd rather have the cheese and the sour cream rather than the rice, heh. Personal preference.

Thanks to the fact that they don't offer a lean meat, you get plenty of fat in the meat on a burrito bowl at chipotle, but regardless, assaulting fats was not my purpose there...
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You gotta be kidding me OP. People need to use common sense and exercise self control when you eat. Please don't ruin it for the rest of us who love those heaping spoonfuls at Chiptole.