The cold hard truth about Chipotle Burrito Bowls

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Wait.

The burrito bowl had 70% more stuff in it? Was it the same price? Why would anyone be sad over this??
    I know, right?!

I've had quite a few burrito bowls. I've still been able to lose.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way, OP... at least they didn't offer him a free pie.

Hahahaha <3
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Where's this magical 70% number coming from? Curious.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I hate getting more than I pay for. I want less, damn it!
    You understand the point isn't about the cost, right? Not that you're getting anything more than you paid for, anyway. The same people who set the portion sizes set the prices. They just lie on the nutritional info.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    664046_zpsb23cdcbf.jpg

Edited because I have issues posting pictures.

Screw the burrito bowl, get a quesaritto and be happy.
    No. This can't be true.
    shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

You can order it, but they (the chipotle guy) will hate you for it.

You can follow the instructions provided here, about how to order this and other awesome items from the secret menu...

http://hackthemenu.com/chipotle/secret-menu/
    Options
    OK I am not trying to be snide here but I'm not understanding the issue. When I order Chipotle, I don't select "Chipotle burrito" off MFP to log it, I enter EVERY INGREDIENT individually based upon what I ordered and eyeballing how much is in there. ie half a cup of guac (Chipotle guac is on MFP), rice, etc. Of course I'm not measuring each item on my scale but I also know when I eat out that my calories are going to be my best guess (but still pretty close). If I do this after I order but before I consume, I then know where I am in my daily allotment and can choose to eat less of my meal.

Of course if I'm just selecting someone else's Chipotle burrito off the list on MFP, I'm losing control of my intake and really have no idea what I'm getting.

Again, not trying to be snide, but this just seems like common sense to me. Am I missing something?
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    From the first post in the thread. Though the video actually shows there's 70% more food in the burrito bowl than the burrito. But the nutritional info on the site shows the portions are the same. They're adding more rice to the bowl. So I guess you can order a burrito instead if you want more accurate nutritional info from the web site.

That's great you estimate the amounts of each individual item and log them individually. How do you know how much rice or meat is in there? I think it's far more common for people to use the Chipotle posted nutritional info.
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I always feel like the fill the bowl way way more than a regular burrito so they equal out to be the same calories, less filling + tortilla. Honestly when I go to Chipotle it is not because I care about the calories. Mmmm now I want Chipotle
    Options
    From the first post in the thread. Though the video actually shows there's 70% more food in the burrito bowl than the burrito. But the nutritional info on the site shows the portions are the same. They're adding more rice to the bowl. So I guess you can order a burrito instead if you want more accurate nutritional info from the web site.

That's great you estimate the amounts of each individual item and log them individually. How do you know how much rice or meat is in there? I think it's far more common for people to use the Chipotle posted nutritional info.

Ah, thanks, I didn't look at the vid.

For my logging, I eyeball it. I know, generally, what half a cup of something looks like. Of course it's my best guess, but I prefer to have a bit more control over my logging than selecting a completed burrito/ bowl off their list, for this very reason. Also when I log everything separately I can see where the calories are coming from (ie I now get a bit less guac so I don't go over). Most of the Chipotle ingredients that I use personally are all on the MFP list separately.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Meh...my lunch is typically around 600 - 800 calories...that has nothing to do with the actual nutritional content and whether or not it's healthy.

also, anyone who is surprised about a restaurant serving and calorie content in restaurant food is just oblivious....I'm always surprised that people are surprised...it's a bit ridiculous...
    How do you know your lunch there is 600-800 calories? From the info they gave you? You're not surprised to hear it's probably more like 1400?

I'm not expecting restaurant N.I. to be dead-on. But it's normal to expect it to not be 70% off.

How do you know it's 70% off and not 10% or 20%? Have you taken it home and weighed it? How did you separate the cheese from the rice and meat? What's the secret to isolating the guacamole from the sour cream? Last time I tried this, the tomatoes got mixed in with the salsa and I had hard time getting the weights right; what was your solution?
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    rofl. Some maroon actually does that?!

**moron

BugsBunny_Maroon.jpg

Just sayin'.

But speaking of chipotle, I think I know where I'm havin lunch this weekend :love:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    It's not Chipotles fault though.
    I think it is their fault if their posted nutritional info is purposely understating their portion sizes by 70%.

Their calculator gives 190 calories for 4 oz of rice, which is about 1 scoop. If you order rice, and watch them throw scoop after scoop in there, whose damn fault is that?
    Are we supposed to always pre-research how an item is prepped and the size of the restaurant scoops and keep count while the person makes it, when we eat out? How would you even do that someplace where you're not watching the prep? You'd have to deconstruct your food and weigh each piece.

Generally I order an item and trust the web site N.I. for the item. Knowing I can't do that at Chipotle is good info.

Yes. Personal responsibility, for the win.
    So you take your food home from restaurants and take it apart and weigh each ingredient? That's some serious personal responsibility there. :laugh:

No, not at all. But I've done my research and have an idea of what a portion size should look like. I'm also perfectly capable of saying "one scoop please" or "hold the rice." It's really not that hard.

As an adult, I'm capable of realizing that Chipotle is never going to be able to get the serving size right every single time because....human error. I don't hold Chipotle responsible for that because it's an unrealistic expectation to have - unless, of course, they mechanize it. But, I'd rather eat 100 more calories than see people lose their jobs.

And, of course, no one is holding a gun to my head telling me to eat there. I make that choice.

Ahhh personal responsibility. It's really an amazing thing to be an adult who doesn't need a corporate entity or the government to hold my hand through a menu.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Meh...my lunch is typically around 600 - 800 calories...that has nothing to do with the actual nutritional content and whether or not it's healthy.

also, anyone who is surprised about a restaurant serving and calorie content in restaurant food is just oblivious....I'm always surprised that people are surprised...it's a bit ridiculous...
    How do you know your lunch there is 600-800 calories? From the info they gave you? You're not surprised to hear it's probably more like 1400?

I'm not expecting restaurant N.I. to be dead-on. But it's normal to expect it to not be 70% off.

How do you know it's 70% off and not 10% or 20%? Have you taken it home and weighed it? How did you separate the cheese from the rice and meat? What's the secret to isolating the guacamole from the sour cream? Last time I tried this, the tomatoes got mixed in with the salsa and I had hard time getting the weights right; what was your solution?
    No, that's my point. You can't really estimate it well yourself, you need to trust the company to give you semi-accurate info.

People who did weigh it (see first post) found 70% difference. Does anyone read the thread before jumping in? :ohwell:

The last time this came up was because an employee said they're trained to double the rice that's listed as a portion in the N.I.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I hate getting more than I pay for. I want less, damn it!
    You understand the point isn't about the cost, right? Not that you're getting anything more than you paid for, anyway. The same people who set the portion sizes set the prices. They just lie on the nutritional info.

Now they are lying?

Yes, I'm sure that's it. They probably had a board of directors meeting about how to lie to customer's about nutritional values. It's a conspiracy to make us all fat.

It couldn't possibly be that there's no accounting for human error in every store. That would be too logical.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I think it is their fault if their posted nutritional info is purposely understating their portion sizes by 70%.

Their calculator gives 190 calories for 4 oz of rice, which is about 1 scoop. If you order rice, and watch them throw scoop after scoop in there, whose damn fault is that?
    Are we supposed to always pre-research how an item is prepped and the size of the restaurant scoops and keep count while the person makes it, when we eat out? How would you even do that someplace where you're not watching the prep? You'd have to deconstruct your food and weigh each piece.

Generally I order an item and trust the web site N.I. for the item. Knowing I can't do that at Chipotle is good info.

So you take your food home from restaurants and take it apart and weigh each ingredient? That's some serious personal responsibility there. :laugh:

No, not at all. But I've done my research and have an idea of what a portion size should look like. I'm also perfectly capable of saying "one scoop please" or "hold the rice." It's really not that hard.

As an adult, I'm capable of realizing that Chipotle is never going to be able to get the serving size right every single time because....human error. I don't hold Chipotle responsible for that because it's an unrealistic expectation to have - unless, of course, they mechanize it. But, I'd rather eat 100 more calories than see people lose their jobs.

And, of course, no one is holding a gun to my head telling me to eat there. I make that choice.

Ahhh personal responsibility. It's really an amazing thing to be an adult who doesn't need a corporate entity or the government to hold my hand through a menu.
    But to correct the over-portioning you have to know it exists. That's my point.

70% larger isn't 100 calories and training employees to double the rice isn't human error.

I don't know if all the insults- "It's really not that hard", "As an adult" (TWICE even), etc. -- are really necessary interjections. For the record, I was analyzing menus when you were in kindergarten.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

No, that's my point. You can't really estimate it well yourself, you need to trust the company to give you semi-accurate info.

People who did weigh it (see first post) found 70% difference. Does anyone read the thread before jumping in? :ohwell:

The last time this came up was because an employee said they're trained to double the rice that's listed as a portion in the N.I.

I think it is time to get out the tinfoil hats. Are you saying Chipotle's board of directors is intentionally trying to make people fat??

TinfoilHat_zpsa0ac9506.jpg

I will reiterate what a lot of people have said in this thread and has been my experience as well. I eat a lot of Chipotle Burrito Bowls and sometimes a burrito instead and it has not hindered my weight loss one bit. To be clear, when I travel for work and am out the whole week, it is not uncommon for me to eat there 2 or 3 times during that week. So if the calories were so far off, wouldn't they be hindering my weight loss?
  • PRMinx
    Options

But to correct the over-portioning you have to know it exists. That's my point.

70% larger isn't 100 calories and training employees to double the rice isn't human error.

I don't know if all the insults- "It's really not that hard", "As an adult" (TWICE even), etc. -- are really necessary interjections. For the record, I was analyzing menus when you were in kindergarten.

Because it really isn't that hard. And, yes, as adult I can use logic and reason to make choices for myself without Chipotle HQ telling me how to do it. And, you know what? Your diet is not Chipotle's responsibility, anyway.

I really doubt it's a consistent 70% difference increase store to store. Businesses are not in business to lose money. Second, I'm pretty sure that not every Chipotle worker is doubling the rice. I've never had that happen where I have gone. But maybe that's because I'm pretty clear about what I want. And I know what a portion of rice looks like because I'm ultimately responsible. I'd like to hear from more Chipotle employees - one is not a study - that they are trained to double.

You know what's even cooler? Sometimes when I go to Chipotle I don't have enough room in my macros for rice at all. I know this because I have a general idea of what rice brings to the calorie table, so to speak. So, I ask them to leave off the rice. And then they do that. And I go home happy, rice free and 100% in control of my diet. It's awesome.

I honestly don't even know why this is a discussion. People who don't want two scoops of rice can say they don't want two scoops of rice. It's their business model that you get it the way you want it. Sheesh.

ETA: An extra scoop of rice is an extra 185 calories. So, I was off by 85 calories.
  • PRMinx
    Options

I think it is time to get out the tinfoil hats. Are you saying Chipotle's board of directors is intentionally trying to make people fat??

TinfoilHat_zpsa0ac9506.jpg

I will reiterate what a lot of people have said in this thread and has been my experience as well. I eat a lot of Chipotle Burrito Bowls and sometimes a burrito instead and it has not hindered my weight loss one bit. To be clear, when I travel for work and am out the whole week, it is not uncommon for me to eat there 2 or 3 times during that week. So if the calories were so far off, wouldn't they be hindering my weight loss?

I mean, same. When I was in my losing stage, I was eating at Chipotle quite a bit. I still lost weight. Because I was making smart menu decisions.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Makes me think of Five Guys and the way they serve their "little" size fries... they fill the "little" cup, put it in the brown bag, then throw another full scoop or two of fries into the bag on top of it. I'm not saying it's not absolutely DEE-LISH and that I don't worship their fries, just that their calorie estimates for a "little" serving are probably mondo outta whack.

But I'm still not gonna take a food scale with me wherever I go.:noway:

I've always wondered if their calories on the site are for the original cup only or if the extra stuff is included...

The bigger problem, in my opinion, is the bold faced WRONG information we get from some sit down restaurant's nutritional information. People have tested dishes and found way more calories than what is listed. For example, Applebee's WW menu . To me, that is where we lose real control and can end up unknowingly consuming way more calories even when we've researched the nutritional information.

Link? I like the Applebee's light menu...

YES!! The Five Guys website's listing for fries INCLUDES the "extra" fries they give. I can't remember where I saw that, but it was an official statement from Five Guys. Eat away and ENJOY THOSE DELICIOUS FRIES!!!
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    .... now I'm gonna need a burrito bowl.