The cold hard truth about Chipotle Burrito Bowls

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way, OP... at least they didn't offer him a free pie.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    664046_zpsb23cdcbf.jpg

Edited because I have issues posting pictures.

Screw the burrito bowl, get a quesaritto and be happy.
    No. This can't be true.
    shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

It's so seriously true. It's all I ever get. Be warned though - once you try it the regular burrito will never be the same.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I hate getting more than I pay for. I want less, damn it!
  • soopaang
    soopaang Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    1. Chipotle is delicious. 2. The ingredients are whole foods and fresh. 3. You can tell them how much and what you want in your bowl.

In terms of fast food I think Chipotle is the best. Even when I do get too much rice down my pie hole I still feel like I made a good choice because it's real food my body can get nutrients from and has to work to break down. Chipotle gives you nutrition based on a specific portion amount so you know to add cals if you go past that amount.

The bigger problem, in my opinion, is the bold faced WRONG information we get from some sit down restaurant's nutritional information. People have tested dishes and found way more calories than what is listed. For example, Applebee's WW menu . To me, that is where we lose real control and can end up unknowingly consuming way more calories even when we've researched the nutritional information.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I hate getting more than I pay for. I want less, damn it!
    Well then you should definitely call me. :bigsmile:
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Over-portioning happens. For sure. But, having worked in the food industry as someone who makes the food, I know that if you're overportioning by 70% you're going to get fired. Food is expensive. For the food industry it is (obviously) incredibly expensive and the portions given by corporate are made more to balance out cost vs. return than calories.

Moral of the story: 70% extra probably happens rarely. You want one scoop? You should ask for one scoop. It's ok to not finish your food sometimes. I'm getting a burrito bowl for lunch.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Makes me think of Five Guys and the way they serve their "little" size fries... they fill the "little" cup, put it in the brown bag, then throw another full scoop or two of fries into the bag on top of it. I'm not saying it's not absolutely DEE-LISH and that I don't worship their fries, just that their calorie estimates for a "little" serving are probably mondo outta whack.

But I'm still not gonna take a food scale with me wherever I go.:noway:
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    This is the same for drinks at a bar or a burger at McDonald's - bartenders/employees will often give you extra liquor/condiments, throwing off the calorie count, and feel they're doing you a favor. Eating out is always a really rough estimate, even if they do provide caloric information.

Yes because us bar tenders are very concerned about your calorie count and not our tips...... :huh:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    This is the same for drinks at a bar or a burger at McDonald's - bartenders/employees will often give you extra liquor/condiments, throwing off the calorie count, and feel they're doing you a favor. Eating out is always a really rough estimate, even if they do provide caloric information.

Yes because us bar tenders are very concerned about your calorie count and not our tips...... :huh:

You can over-booze me all you like! My mix-in is zero cal, so bring it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Makes me think of Five Guys and the way they serve their "little" size fries... they fill the "little" cup, put it in the brown bag, then throw another full scoop or two of fries into the bag on top of it. I'm not saying it's not absolutely DEE-LISH and that I don't worship their fries, just that their calorie estimates for a "little" serving are probably mondo outta whack.

I've always wondered if their calories on the site are for the original cup only or if the extra stuff is included...

The bigger problem, in my opinion, is the bold faced WRONG information we get from some sit down restaurant's nutritional information. People have tested dishes and found way more calories than what is listed. For example, Applebee's WW menu . To me, that is where we lose real control and can end up unknowingly consuming way more calories even when we've researched the nutritional information.

Link? I like the Applebee's light menu...
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This post makes me hungry
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I only have one question why eat at Chipotle if there is a Hot Head Burrito nearby. Eating at Hot Head will kill ever eating at Chipotle again.

I hate moving out of Ohio and no longer having one nearby.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    The chipotle in my area must be cheap then, I watch them make the bowls and they plenty close to the correct portions but every once in a while they hook it up.

Not going to complain if they give me double the portion of meat or guac and not charge more, I'll just make sure I'm more realistic when I log it.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I only have one question why eat at Chipotle if there is a Hot Head Burrito nearby. Eating at Hot Head will kill ever eating a Chipotle again.

I hate moving out of Ohio and no longer having one nearby.

I love chipotle but I'll have to look this place up for sho
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Chipotle are saboteurs!

Tasty, tasty saboteurs.
  • soopaang
    soopaang Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I've always wondered if their calories on the site are for the original cup only or if the extra stuff is included...

Link? I like the Applebee's light menu...

There was actually a lawsuit about it (albeit frivolous in my opinion) a few years back. I found this story about it for a link http://consumerist.com/2008/10/10/lawsuits-claim-applebees-weight-watchers-food-has-too-much-fat/. It's not the restaurant's fault necessarily so I'm not trying to slam on place over another. It's just that preparation in restaurants often includes extra dabs of butter/oil and cooking next to other higher fat dishes etc. Because of this we find a lot of unknown extra cals that won't be listed in the nutritional information listed. That's one reason (besides the not eating meat thing and not wanting to be a pain modifying orders) that I like to eat at home. When I do go out, I much prefer a place like Chipotle because I feel I've got much more control and their simple offerings are prepared the same way over and over.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    This is my only go-to place to eat out usually. Sure; if you get everything they offer into your bowl with double the portions then it will be a lot of calories. (By the way; my chipolte is stingy with everything so i cant see what you're talking about when it comes to more food in the bowl) I eat here at least once or twice a week and it never hinders my fitness journey.

i will never stop eating chipotle. honestly, if i could eat here every day; i would. LOL

Spot on if you ask me. They are stingy with their ingredients. I eat there, get the brown rice (more filling) and get sour cream on the side. You can make two meals out of it although I have struggled with that lately. Just too good.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's not Chipotles fault though.
    I think it is their fault if their posted nutritional info is purposely understating their portion sizes by 70%.

Their calculator gives 190 calories for 4 oz of rice, which is about 1 scoop. If you order rice, and watch them throw scoop after scoop in there, whose damn fault is that?
    Are we supposed to always pre-research how an item is prepped and the size of the restaurant scoops and keep count while the person makes it, when we eat out? How would you even do that someplace where you're not watching the prep? You'd have to deconstruct your food and weigh each piece.

Generally I order an item and trust the web site N.I. for the item. Knowing I can't do that at Chipotle is good info.

Yes. Personal responsibility, for the win.
    So you take your food home from restaurants and take it apart and weigh each ingredient? That's some serious personal responsibility there. :laugh:
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    One more thing...Chipotle must add crack to their rice because it is fuggin addictive.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Meh...my lunch is typically around 600 - 800 calories...that has nothing to do with the actual nutritional content and whether or not it's healthy.

also, anyone who is surprised about a restaurant serving and calorie content in restaurant food is just oblivious....I'm always surprised that people are surprised...it's a bit ridiculous...
    How do you know your lunch there is 600-800 calories? From the info they gave you? You're not surprised to hear it's probably more like 1400?

I'm not expecting restaurant N.I. to be dead-on. But it's normal to expect it to not be 70% off.