How fast can you run/walk a mile?

Options
13»

Replies

• Csy4242
    Csy4242 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Started doing 5Ks this year. My first one in early May was 41:22 roughly 13min miles. Last night I finished one in 36:44 or 11 1/2 min miles.
  • thessdayton
    thessdayton Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are to be commended for just getting out and walking! Who cares how fast or slow, you're doing it and that's excellent! BRAVO!

Amen....i just started MFP and did 4 1/2 miles yesterday in 60 minutes - keep at it and before you know it, you will be down to the 13 minute range...stick with it - it is fun to see the improvement and the calories burned wrack up!!

Good luck.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    As others have said, don't compare yourself with others. The world record for the mile is 3:43.13 (men's) and 4:12.56 (women's). Most of us can't dream of coming within a minute of that, no matter how hard we train.

Concentrate on improving compared with your own past results. That's a lot more productive.

If you really want to know how fast I, a total stranger on the Internet, can run a mile, send me a PM and I'll tell you. :smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about what other people are doing. If we compares ourselves to others we will, no matter how good we are, always fall short.

Congrats on the improvement, keep it up!
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    My fastest flat 5K time is 30:42, so an average of 10 mins 14 seconds. :smile:
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    In my fastest mile I can power walk one mile in a little over 13 minutes. I have long, strong legs that can go fast! I aim to average 15 minute miles so I can do 4 miles in one hour in the evenings.

I'm not sure about running. Running is hard on my joints so I just keep it at power walking or brisk walking/jogging intervals when I'm short on time or want a higher calorie burn.
  • ncr517
    Options
    5k running pace 9 min mile
    5k walking pace 20 min mile
    Mile running pace 6 min
    Walking mile pace 15 minute mile
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'm around a 15 minute mile. When I really push myself I can get just under the 15 minute mark. The breathing thing and I are not on good terms if I push much more though.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    walk/run 13-14 minute mile. Oh, and did I say I am 67 yrs. old!! Thank you MFP and all who have encouraged me.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    walk/run 13-14 minute mile. Oh, and did I say I am 67 yrs. old!! Thank you MFP and all who have encouraged me.

Wow! That's really, really great! :)
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My fastest mile that I know of was 7:13 according to Runtastic. My average mile is 8:15 - 8:30.
  • lizm223
    lizm223 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also started running a few weeks ago. My 1st mile was 11:58; pushed myself the other day to see how fast I could run a mile and it was 9:54, though I don't think I can sustain that pace much longer than that (yet!) I'm just thrilled that for the first time in my life I can continuously run for a mile! Currently on a beginner 5k program (and that's just the beginning) so hopefully I keep getting better, stronger, faster :-)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    On a treadmill, I usually train at an 8 minute mile. Outdoors, my trail run (run up a mountain and down) 5K pace is about 10 min/mile.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    In high school, I ran under 7 minute miles. Now I am happy with walking 13-14 minute miles. Vein doctor told me no more running after I did a 5k three years ago and had severe pain and swelling in my legs a few hours afterward. Not worried about my time anymore. Just glad that I'm out there and moving to the best of my ability.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    not been jogging long but i can manage it in under 8minutes just jogging ..that is on a flat surface though..not tried outdoors yet