Giving up sugar and white flour forever.

Options

Replies

• Kghaines
    Kghaines Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Personally white flour and sugar is addicting to me. Personally, giving them up is certainly harder than going vegan, but if I allow myself a little bit in moderation it turns into an all out binge.
    I know this is not for everyone, but I also don't think it is that extreme. Just a few 100 years ago there was no such thing as these white products...just whole wheat and honey.
    Although difficult, this way of eating us undeniably healthier physically. (Some might argue that those things improve the QUALITY of life if not the QUANTITY) But I don't want to live for food.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Definitely also give up gluten, dairy, red meat, white rice, and corn. Best of luck!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-4693-1410979274-5.gif
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    1roZvra.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Giving up meat and animal products entirely if one is vegan makes total sense, as it's for ethical reasons. Not ethical reasons I personally agree with in full, but reasons that make the complete prohibition logical.

I simply don't see any reason why it would be necessary to give up sugar (presumably added sugar and other sweeteners?) and white flour entirely, such that I couldn't eat a pie on Thanksgiving, have some pizza once a year, whatever. If you think you are eating too much of something, why wouldn't you just cut down or eat it only when you thought the calories were worth it? I honestly don't understand the overwhelming desire to cut out broad categories of foods. Makes way more sense to me to just focus on the foods you want to eat more of.
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The reason I say it's far extreme than going vegan is because I did both, at the same time. I was mad woman reading and rereading ingredients. It's difficult, and I saw little to no reward for my health. Everyone is different, but I personally didn't care for it.
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone who has done it? It is not as extreme as going vegan, but I wonder if white flour and white sugar-free is a thing. Does anyone have tips on how to give it up? :)

For me personally this would be way more extreme than going vegan! Curious, when you say sugar, do you mean added sugars, or do you mean ANY food that contains any sugar, even fruits and vegetables? I do try to limit my added sugar intake a bit, I do find it lowers cravings, but I would never go NO sugar. That's unnecessary self punishment IMO.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Life is short. I plan to enjoy mine.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Do these OP's make these questions and then fall off the face of the earth?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,628 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it unless forced to. I like cake, ice cream, candy and milk chocolate too much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I gave up anything white. pasta, bread, flour, sugar. I only eat whole wheat or quinoa pasta, almond or coconut flour, coconut sugar, and sprouted grain, seed, and nuts breads. My cravings have diminished incredibly and I have lost 30 lbs in 3 months. Not saying it works for everyone just sharing my experience. Of course I made other changes as well.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I generally think that if you're addicted to something, you should try to ease off of it your life whether it's healthy or not. For example, I spent years addicted to coffee. Once I weaned off, I awoke each morning thinking about my tasks for the day instead of my morning cup, and life got a little better. I also drink coffee every once in awhile, and enjoy it without feeling like I have to have it.

So if you feel like something is an essential part of your life, I think you should try to go without it, until you can have it once in a rare while and not feel like it's something you need. I think it's better for emotional and physical health.

That said, I barely eat either and it hasn't lead to any weight loss whatsoever on its own, when not combined with a corresponding weight loss effort. BUT I don't have any of the problems other people as fat as me have - I'm not pre diabetic and my resting blood sugar is great, my blood pressure and LDL is low, I sleep like a log, generally have good energy throughout the day, etc. When I do occasionally have something with white sugar, I immediately feel the effects - I feel like I need to sleep a little longer that night, and I generally feel sort of ****ty for 24 hours after.

So that's my anecdotal response. ;)
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Forever. That's a mighty long time. But I'm here to tell you there's something else... :smokin:
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I can't eat white flour (or any other wheat or gluten containing food).

Eat it: feel agonizing pain

Don't eat it: feel like a normal person

Wasn't a difficult "forever" choice.

Now if we're talking sugar? You'd have a battle on your hands if you tried to take away my fruits and vegetables. OR my now-and-then treat of dark chocolate. Loooove sugar. :love:
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Forever. That's a mighty long time. But I'm here to tell you there's something else... :smokin:

The Afterworld.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Well there's quite a few companies and people that have made a lot of money marketing such a concept. Personally I'm making braised rabbit with home made parpadelle and focaccia.........really like the time spent making this bread......the double rise and using tomatoes and herbs from my garden and roasting some garlic from a neighbour........can't for the life of me see where this will shorten my time on this planet.

I'm coming over for dinner...
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Forever is an awfully long time.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    It is not extreme, it is just white sugar and white flour are so readily available today. Giving up those two is not much different than the diet in America and Europe around 1800. Back then, it was unusual to have white sugar and bleached flour.
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and give them up if you wish too.
    Neither sugar( as in granulated sugar, sweets and refined processes foods) nor white flour are vital or even necessary for survival.
    The only organ that uses glucose is the brain and it's need is averaged at 20g of glucose per day. Since you will still eat other carbs and veggies and fruit you will be well supplied for.
    Nothing bad will happen to you once you pas the first week of adjustment.
    There are lots of people who gave them up for various reasons and they are thriving.
    Since your body will switch from burning sugar for energy to burning fat for energy you will need to seriously up your fat intake.
    Like others have said you don't have to give them up completely, and something like eating 100% right 80% of the time is good enough.
    Best of luck!
    For more info please check out marksdailyapple.com