Giving up sugar and white flour forever.

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    So what are you going to eat if you're giving up sugar and white flour?

Sugar is in pretty much everything: fruits, vegetables, alcohol, lots of foods in the grocery store have sugar.

So if you're giving up cane sugar then does that mean you're going to substitute with brown sugar, or honey, or fake sugar? :huh:

I only said cane sugar, and I will of course eat fruit and all. :) Brown sugar is white cane sugar before the molasses is taken out. I would use probably honey or 100% maple syrup. Fake sugars can be worse for you than the real stuff. ;)

Organic sugar has the same calorie content, but many times it is completely worth it to purchase fair trade! Reading up on how big sugar companies gets their sugar makes me think going without it can also be for ethical reasons. http://equalitywalk2.blogspot.com/2014/05/where-does-your-sugar-come-from.html Just fuel for thought.

a) most of the sugar used in the world is extracted from sugar beets, not cane, which are farmed just like other root crops.

b) These days, brown sugar is white sugar with molasses added back in because it is cheaper to process that way

c) Sugar is sugar. There is no "fake" or "real" (excluding artificial sweeteners which are clearly labeled as such). Whether you get your sugar from cane, beets, honey, maple sap. Table sugar is sucrose, honey is fructose and glucose, maple syrup is mostly sucrose with some glucose and fructose,
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    So what are you going to eat if you're giving up sugar and white flour?

Sugar is in pretty much everything: fruits, vegetables, alcohol, lots of foods in the grocery store have sugar.

So if you're giving up cane sugar then does that mean you're going to substitute with brown sugar, or honey, or fake sugar? :huh:

I only said cane sugar, and I will of course eat fruit and all. :) Brown sugar is white cane sugar before the molasses is taken out. I would use probably honey or 100% maple syrup. Fake sugars can be worse for you than the real stuff. ;)

Organic sugar has the same calorie content, but many times it is completely worth it to purchase fair trade! Reading up on how big sugar companies gets their sugar makes me think going without it can also be for ethical reasons. http://equalitywalk2.blogspot.com/2014/05/where-does-your-sugar-come-from.html Just fuel for thought.

a) most of the sugar used in the world is extracted from sugar beets, not cane, which are farmed just like other root crops.

b) These days, brown sugar is white sugar with molasses added back in because it is cheaper to process that way

c) Sugar is sugar. There is no "fake" or "real" (excluding artificial sweeteners which are clearly labeled as such). Whether you get your sugar from cane, beets, honey, maple sap. Table sugar is sucrose, honey is fructose and glucose, maple syrup is mostly sucrose with some glucose and fructose,
    Sucrose is simply glucose and fructose joined with a weak bond that needs to be broken to obtain the simple sugars.
    This can even be done on your stove using a weak acid like lemon juice and heat to produce invert sugar which bakers use.
    It has an higher apparent sweetness because of the free fructose I believe, and also gives baked goods a longer shelf life.
    I also do this with sucrose (table sugar) for fermentations so that the yeast don`t have to do it and are less stessed.
    You don`t have to do it when fermenting honey (making mead) because the glucose and fructose are mostly free already.
  • coachlover1984
    coachlover1984 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im on day 8 of a clean diet, no sugar besides what is in fruit, using a small amount of honey when sugar is needed. And only Whole wheat, nothing out of a box with more than 5 ingrediants. I feel pretty good. I got my tips and an outline from the web site 100daysof real food. Amazing articles and food ideas.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Wow, way to take things out of context. My "simpler the better" comment was in regards to packaged foods.

You were talking about making items from scratch, you did not limit the comment. I don't think the reading was unreasonable. Same point stands, anyway--why does the number of ingredients and not what they are matter in the least?

Anyway, I don't think reading labels would be the challenge, but (IMO, pointlessly) giving up items that I know contain flour and sugar (or analogous ingredients like maple syrup and honey, for consistency).
    you clearly seem to have a problem with the fact that I personally benefited from giving up white sugar and white flour.

Nope. Not at all. I specifically said otherwise. I just don't think you should assume from that that everyone has the issues that you say you did before giving up those items or that giving them up will generally cause others to feel better.

I mean, last time I had penicillin I ended up in the hospital as a result, so I think I benefit from not consuming it, but I don't tell others it is therefore bad for them.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'll be the first to admit that I am generally skeptical of most bandwagons, but then will jump on my own for no other reason than to just see if I like it, or if it works for me.
    But on this I'm lost. And I'm not just trying to be an *kitten*, but here goes......

Why give up white sugar but not brown, honey, maple, or whatever else. Why does the color matter?

The same for white flour? I mean, I can sorta get the whole not wanting bleached flour, but unbleached flour is white flour right? Or not? Whole grain for the added fiber, and maybe a slower blood sugar spike? I understand that. But then wouldn't you want to give up fresh corn, rice, and corn starch thickened sauces? What about potatoes? Are white potatoes better than white flour? Why is white flour so bad but other flours ok?

Unless you have celiac disease of, course, but you're otherwise fairly healthy, yes?

I guess I don't understand why, and why forever?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Can we give up cauliflower? Cause I'm down with that.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Im on day 8 of a clean diet, no sugar besides what is in fruit, using a small amount of honey when sugar is needed. And only Whole wheat, nothing out of a box with more than 5 ingrediants. I feel pretty good. I got my tips and an outline from the web site 100daysof real food. Amazing articles and food ideas.

Pssst. Honey is sugar.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I did it.....It was the best decision I ever made with regard to food. I cannot believe the changes it has made in my life. I lost weight and a host of other health issues have disappeared. Not sure it will work for everyone (although I like to think it would). I can only speak for myself. I am never going back to it. :)

I did it too and I am on my fourth year of being wheat-free and no-added-sugar. I have lost 66 pounds and reduced my blood sugar and blood pressure. My arthritis has improved a great deal as well. It really isn't difficult. I would recommend going fruit-free for a couple of weeks to back off your fructokinase enzyme. That will also cause a die-off of the intestinal bacteria and fungi that thrive on "fast" carbs like sucrose and wheat starch. I don't eat a lot of fruit still but I always have one or two servings a day. When people eat sugar, they tend not to eat as many fruits and vegetables as they otherwise would. I have observed that on many food diaries.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    We really have to stop vilifying foods. No food is inherently good or bad. Period. Some foods are more healthful than others. It's not a dichotomy, it's a spectrum.

Whole grain flours are certainly more healthful than white flours, but there are probably specific grains which are more healthful than whole wheat. And there are "white whole wheat" flours nowadays. And there's plenty of foods made from white flour which are enriched with extra vitamins.

And sugar? An argument could be made that honey is more healthful than sugar, because of the other stuff it contains, but it contains those other elements in such minuscule amounts that it's debatable if they actually do anything. Other than that, sugar really is sugar. Is an artificial sweetener better? Some studies say yes, some say no. Is stevia better? Some studies say yes, some say no. If you want a more natural, less process sugar, why not use turbinado or raw sugar cane juice or something like that? Or you could go really hippy and just sweeten everything with dried figs. *shudder*

So, let me repeat: It's not a dichotomy. It is not a "good" or "bad" food situation. It's a spectrum, and there's always something healthier you could be eating. A better idea than cutting foods out is to eat a wide variety to ensure that you're getting all the micronutrients you need.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    I'll be the first to admit that I am generally skeptical of most bandwagons, but then will jump on my own for no other reason than to just see if I like it, or if it works for me.
    But on this I'm lost. And I'm not just trying to be an *kitten*, but here goes......

Why give up white sugar but not brown, honey, maple, or whatever else. Why does the color matter?

The same for white flour? I mean, I can sorta get the whole not wanting bleached flour, but unbleached flour is white flour right? Or not? Whole grain for the added fiber, and maybe a slower blood sugar spike? I understand that. But then wouldn't you want to give up fresh corn, rice, and corn starch thickened sauces? What about potatoes? Are white potatoes better than white flour? Why is white flour so bad but other flours ok?

Unless you have celiac disease of, course, but you're otherwise fairly healthy, yes?

Simple, the reasoning is that if something is bad in larger quantities for some people, then none would be ideal for everyone.......the paleo diet is based on this screwed up philosophy for example.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Simple, the reasoning is that if something is bad in larger quantities for some people, then none would be ideal for everyone.......the paleo diet is based on this screwed up philosophy for example.
    That "bandwagon" I'm currently on is the ketogenic diet. I've read several favorable studies,(well, I didn't read all of each study, they're just to dry, and the plot is sooooo slow) and a very few studies that were kind of negative. But anyway..... The whole "Eat a bare minimum of carbs, and get your calories from fat" thing makes some sense to me. And I would never give up pizza with real crust, or the occasional plate (or 3) of spaghetti and meatballs. It seams to me that if you're going to give up white sugar and flour, but continuing to eat other sugar and other carbs, you're restricting your diet with no gain in health.

So I guess I'm even more extremist (except on my occasional carb days), I don't eat any grain , and any sugar I eat comes from cured meat and green leafy veggies.

I guess, why exclude one carb type but not the others?
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    The best way to eat better and healthier without getting shredded is to quietly do it on your own and never, ever post it on MFP. The "Food and Nutrition" forum is particularly snarky and mean-spirited. And filled with amazing experts and gif masters.
  • she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerant so it's not a big deal to give up white flour for me because I know how it makes me feel. I'm going to be limiting sugar as well starting October 1st. I'll have desserts at parties and friend's houses in moderation but I know my limits and can't have them in the house. I once went a whole year without dessert and I felt amazing after I got over the withdrawal.

If it makes you feel better to give them up, go for it. Everybody's body works differently.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I know I lack self-control, and I know discipline is like a muscle...the more you use it the stronger it gets. Why must this be so difficult? I don't know what else to do.

this is exactly the thing.

Going cold turkey on things doesn't build the 'NO' discipline muscle.

Work on saying NO to one small thing- rather than two whole entire groups of food products.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    It is not extreme, it is just white sugar and white flour are so readily available today. Giving up those two is not much different than the diet in America and Europe around 1800. Back then, it was unusual to have white sugar and bleached flour.

The thing is, I don't live in 1800. I live now. I go to people's birthday parties; I eat with friends in restaurants; I invite people to dinner. I enjoy a good pie, some fresh bread, a well-prepared pasta dish. Living without sugar or white flour would severely limit my personal enjoyment of food and make social situations difficult. Especially since I don't see any compelling evidence that giving up these things is going to make me healthier.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The thing is, I don't live in 1800. I live now.

thank the sweet baby jesus too- could you imagine? no showers- and no internet- and having to actually go HUNT for your food?

I mean I'm all about having fun and going adventuring- but I really like my warm bed- indoor plumbing and my ipod. Seriously. WHy must everything be "better back then"

people died a lot back then from crappy living conditions and rotted meat- it's not better because they didn't have Taco Bell- it's just older- with no internet.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options

That "bandwagon" I'm currently on is the ketogenic diet. I've read several favorable studies,(well, I didn't read all of each study, they're just to dry, and the plot is sooooo slow) and a very few studies that were kind of negative. But anyway..... The whole "Eat a bare minimum of carbs, and get your calories from fat" thing makes some sense to me. And I would never give up pizza with real crust, or the occasional plate (or 3) of spaghetti and meatballs. It seams to me that if you're going to give up white sugar and flour, but continuing to eat other sugar and other carbs, you're restricting your diet with no gain in health.

So I guess I'm even more extremist (except on my occasional carb days), I don't eat any grain , and any sugar I eat comes from cured meat and green leafy veggies.

I guess, why exclude one carb type but not the others?
    There's plenty of science to confirm that increasing calories from highly refined grains and sugar in lieu of protein and fat have deleterious effects on health markers, no doubt about it. Still not a reason to completely sustain from either when consumed in moderate amounts. The confounder that messes with peoples heads is that a diet that is higher in protein and fat is also more satiating and we eat less food overall which leads to weight loss and this is confirmed in many studies when compared to a high carb diet....a low fat diet in disguise. Your ketogenic diet is probably one one of the more extreme low carb diets but if it works for you, then that's fine. There's at least the CKD and the TKD so you don't resort to pulling all your hair out from restriction. Personally I'm on a reduced carb diet in the sense that it doesn't get in the way of protein and fat preferences, and to help me reduce my desire to munch down on sugary carbs, which I've been known to do in the past quite a bit, now very rarely. Personally I don't see any advantage going any lower in carbs, simply because there is no increased satiety or health benefit and I like pizza and spaghetti as well.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The thing is, I don't live in 1800. I live now.

thank the sweet baby jesus too- could you imagine? no showers- and no internet- and having to actually go HUNT for your food?

I mean I'm all about having fun and going adventuring- but I really like my warm bed- indoor plumbing and my ipod. Seriously. WHy must everything be "better back then"

people died a lot back then from crappy living conditions and rotted meat- it's not better because they didn't have Taco Bell- it's just older- with no internet.

Exactly. It wasn't better "back then." No refrigeration. Lots of food-borne illnesses and food contaminated with all sorts of things before we had any food regulations. The life expectancy in 1800? About 40.

I don't eat a lot of processed food and am conscious of consuming plenty of veggies, fruit, lean meat, dairy, whole grain. But dark chocolate, a good glass of wine, professional quality pastry on special occasions. . . why would I ever want to give up those things unless I had a diagnosed food intolerance?
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    As a vegan for 15 years on the most un extreme diet I can think of words almost fail me and I'm probably going to regret replying too this. My question is what's wrong with white flour and sugar which can be a part of any blanced diet

Agreed. I've been vegan for 7 months and I don't understand how it's "extreme..." Are fruits/veggies/grains extreme foods? Anyway, do you just mean added, processed sugar? Because that would be worth cutting out. But natural sugar isn't bad for you... And making the switch to whole grains is a good idea, but you can still incorporate white flour every now and then, no need to go totally extreme and cut it out forever...
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Forever. That's a mighty long time. But I'm here to tell you there's something else... :smokin:

The Afterworld.

I sure hope that old lady's wrong...about death not being the end of it.