Replies

• fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    every morning after I use the bathroom and before I eat anything
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    DAILY! If it's lower than the last weight I logged on MFP, it gets logged. If not, it doesn't. I then take that number and plug it in to FitBit.com and then go over to TrendWeight.com to see how I'm "really" doing. TrendWeight is my secret weapon that keeps my "scale freak-outs" to a low roar. Even though this morning's weigh-in didn't seem like anything exciting, TW still verified that I am still losing at -2.6lbs/week. Just where I want to be.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Daily, and log when there is a new low.
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every morning.
  • randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Every day, first thing in the morning, but I only log on Fridays gain or loss.
  • NessaReh85
    NessaReh85 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Everyday!

I dont log my weight in MFP everyday but I do weight myself every morning to help keep myself honest. I would rather see that I gained 0.1-1.0 pound and adjust my meals accordingly than to weight only once a week and find out that I gained like 5 pounds.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's really a personal decision and depends on how well you can handle seeing normal fluctuations in weight. If you aren't going to get upset and let an increase ruin your day and you are curious daily then weigh daily. If it is going to bother you the entire day then I'd say don't weigh daily. What I do is get on once in the morning and if my weight is less I record it and go on with my day. If it is the same or higher I don't record it and still go on with my day. If it was consistently higher and I knew it was a real gain I would record it but the normal fluctuations I don't bother with. For tracking purposes I only write down my weight once a week. Weighing daily has helped me learn what kind of pattern my weight comes off in and I'm a bit of a numbers geek so I like that.

I saw someone posted a suggestion before of writing down weight every day and then making an average of the 7 days and recording that so you can look at the trending instead of caught up on each individual weight.
  • lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning like most on this post. The reason I do it is to keep track of the trend that my body is doing either by the things I eat (Same foods and meals for 9 weeks so far), workouts or clothes. It is about statistics for me where I use my measurements from 9 areas and body calipers for BF% to determine the muscle mass I am gaining or not gaining. Just remember that sometimes weight is not always fat depending on your type of activities and eating lifestyle Being prepared mentally for the adjustments will help in figuring out your lifestyle and what you need to lose and maintain weight when that time comes. Good luck on your journey..
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I just started a challenge on here that has Friday weigh-ins, so I will now be weighing weekly. Before it was pretty haphazard.
  • laurenweird
    laurenweird Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tell myself weekly but I nearly always do a cheeky weigh in mid-week. It motivates me (either way, if I'm doing well I'm happy, if I've not lost or put some on I need to try harder!)
  • MsRuhl
    MsRuhl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Daily for me, but I record it weekly :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'd like to call attention to a point that may have been overlooked in this discussion - it seems like a good idea to weigh weekly, because the day-to-day fluctuations can make you lose heart. But the day-to-day fluctuations are for many people so big that they can easily mask a whole week or even two weeks of fat loss, and there is no way of telling if you are on the low or high end of a "water weight wave" at your weekly weigh-in, if you don't weigh daily.

Monthly weigh-ins will more likely cover those fluctuations, but give you a cruder feedback and potentially a larger gain to attack.

(Hope this makes sense, my English skills end around here :blushing: )
  • Metamorph1959
    Metamorph1959 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Like Kommodo (whose English is fine) said...

Let me tell you a story: Back in my pre-menopausal days, my weight would fluctuate wildly from day to day. I was attending TOPS, and one week I had a 5-pound gain. Yuck, right? Well, the next week I had an astounding 11-pound loss that everybody freaked out about. I think you can guess what's coming next... The following week I gained 5-1/2 pounds, for a net loss over three weeks of 1/2 pound. One week I was holding water, and the following week I was dehydrated -- 11 pounds difference in water weight alone. Nothing to do with gaining or losing fat mass.

I absolutely weigh daily. It is my motivation and it keeps me accountable. If I've lost, then it means I'm on track. If I've gained, it's a warning that perhaps I need to be more careful. And if there are gains over several days, then I definitely need to assess what's going on. And if one day I'm one weight and the next day I'm 5 pounds heavier, I know it isn't fat gain!

Monthly weigh-ins would be a disaster for me. All the little cheats would start to add up... I need the accountability.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Once a week, Wednesday mornings before I eat. Keeps me from getting too obsessive about the scale.
  • SuzySu
    Options
    I'm doing IF so I weigh after each fast day. However, I only use my Sunday morning weigh-in to log progress on here. I usually fast on Sunday and Wednesday so logically I should be at my 'heaviest' on Sunday morning.
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm a nerd for numbers so I actually weigh myself several times every day. The only one I count is the morning weight but I just think it's interesting to watch my weight fluctuate throughout the day. My lowest weight of the day is usually after getting home from the gym.

Like other people have said, I don't really have an emotional attachment to the numbers. It's just collecting data to me. As long as the overall trend is downwards over the course of the month or week, I'm happy. If I see an annoyingly high number, it only makes me feel mild irritation and motivates me to stay on track.

I understand that for a lot of people this would be pretty unhealthy but it works for me.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I go in cycles, Sometimes I weight twice a day, morning and night just because I find it interesting to see the fluctuations and correlation to what food, exercise, water and other factors play into the slight osolations in weight.

Then I'll forget about it for weeks or a month at a time before I get back on a scale kick again and monitor it daily for awhile.
    The longest I went was a year and a half because the battery in my digital scale died and I was to lazy to change it.
    I finally weighed in at my doctors and I was a few pounds heavier then the year before.
  • sarah2222014
    Options
    Hi
    I weigh myself once a week at the same time. I can tell by my clothes as well! Just bought a pair of digital scales with large readout that I can see without my specs!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with weighing yourself daily if you understand it's just data with no emotional attachment.
    Stepping on the scales in the morning is just part of my routine the same as brushing my teeth.

It's the emotional attachment or lack of understanding of normal weight fluctuations that can be the problem not the frequency of weighing.

Agree! Feedback are signals of what you are doing. Like feelings are signals about what is happening with you, not a testament to who you are.

As many above posters, I weigh myself daily to keep myself accountable to what I eat. If there are errors in intake and honesty, it's easier to adjust this with a weigh-in that is more often than seldom, in my opinion. I recently discovered that I had wrongly calculated intake of rice and pasta due to a misunderstanding (favourable direction).

Thx to above poster about myotape, that sounded very interesting.

Also take into account that scales are different and scales can be incorrect. They are only a tool to see your trend. Best thing would be to test your weight with same clothes, time of day on other scales too.

I recently tested the scale at my gym and discovered to my horror that my bathroom scale was lying to me, 2 kg (4 lbs) too little.
    The new digital scale is very inconsistent. I weighed myself right out of bed first. But after I drank my morning lemon detox tea of 4 dl ( 2 cups) the scale correctly adjusted my weight up. But funnily enough it registered the tea as fat not liquid, my bodyfat jumped up 2%, water content went down.

I agree with many above posters to not only weigh yourself as you prefer, but also to measure your most important places like belly, bust, butt at the same time. Try on clothes you haven't been able to get into. If your weight is the same and you do strength too, measuring and your clothes will tell you the truth.
  • disturbed_s
    disturbed_s Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say once a week but realistically 2 or 3 sometimes 4 times in one week and yep, I freak out when
    I see something and happening. For example I weighed this morning (tomorrow is official weight record day) and scale says I have put on 600g since last weigh in!! My goal next week is to not weigh til my proper day ????