I'm failing my kids!

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
I know sugar isn't the enemy and all, but my kids eat WAY TOO MUCH of it. From sugar breakfast cereal to graham crackers and yogurts as snacks... it just doesn't stop. They barely eat lunch at school then want more snacks when we get home... complain when I tell them to have cheese sticks instead of sugary snacks... and now they are tall enough to reach cups so they help themselves with juice all day (I wouldn't even buy any but my husband likes it).

They eat well at dinner at least but then of course they ask for dessert. Their weight is fine, if anything they are both pretty skinny, but I don't want them to have horrible eating habits for later...

Advice? I'm on my way to the kitchen now to put all the sugary snacks out of their reach... They are 6.5, by the way.

Replies

• _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My advice is to quit letting your kids run your kitchen.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it. They can't have what's not available.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You're their parent. Tell them no and stick to it. Have them eat more protein, it'll fill them up
  • Francl27
    Options

Yeah obviously I'm going to stick to cereal bars from now on (they need snacks for school, and it can't be anything refrigerated).

They didn't 'run the kitchen' until lately, but now they sneak in and help themselves. I can't be there watching all the time. It's so annoying! And the juice thing is recent... they had a box of juice a couple times a week before and that's it... but my husband started letting them have his juice... told him I'm not buying anymore either.

They are pretty picky when it comes to snacks though, so it's really not easy :(
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 year old and 3.5 year old. This is going to sound unpleasant, but you are the parent. Don't buy the foods that you don't want the kids to eat. You have control over what comes into the house.

Having said that, I'll tell you what works for my kids. Lots of fruit. I let the kids eat as many apples/bananas, also sliced carrot sticks and celery sticks as they want. I let them get these foods on their own. I also do not buy any of the flavored yogurt or oatmeal packets, cereals, etc. Instead, I buy plain greek yogurt and rolled or steel cut oats and add honey to it. That way I control how much extra sweetness is added. And honestly, the kids don't need very much honey to be satisfied. On the rare occasion that I buy juice, I water it down so much that it's barely even juice.

I do let the kids have cupcakes, ice cream, etc. at birthday parties. I'm not denying my kids treats; I just don't bring sweets into the house very often...mainly, b/c I don't want the temptations around me.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Snacks for school that don't require refrigeration:

raisins (other dried fruits without sugar), peanut butter, pumpkin/sunflower seeds, bananas, apples

You can also buy cooler packs to put in the lunch bags; I send my son to school with meat/hummus/dairy/veggies/eggs with cooler packs, and he has never had an issue
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I know sugar isn't the enemy and all, but my kids eat WAY TOO MUCH of it. From sugar breakfast cereal to graham crackers and yogurts as snacks... it just doesn't stop. They barely eat lunch at school then want more snacks when we get home... complain when I tell them to have cheese sticks instead of sugary snacks... and now they are tall enough to reach cups so they help themselves with juice all day (I wouldn't even buy any but my husband likes it).

They eat well at dinner at least but then of course they ask for dessert. Their weight is fine, if anything they are both pretty skinny, but I don't want them to have horrible eating habits for later...

Advice? I'm on my way to the kitchen now to put all the sugary snacks out of their reach... They are 6.5, by the way.

Keep in mind you are the mom... so when you say no it means no.

Now as for the juice some for breakfast or a snack is fine, but tell them 1 glass and actually instead of glass start buying it in individual serving sizes (at least until it becomes a habit) and tell them you can have ONE and only ONE each day.

For snacks, maybe apple snacks they make those in serving packs too I buy them myself for my lunches and they work and they are healthy. Yogurt isn't bad for you or them but again a limit of one a day.

Any other treats start with healthy snacks that look unhealthy, ice cream comes to mind, get the healthier one, surprise it taste the same! Bake cookies with less fat, they have recipes of healthier choices all over the web just google it. Trust me on this they will not starve, if they pitch a fit and won't eat what you offer, then oh well guess they will go without, eventually they will give it a chance.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yeah I started buying them as a once in a while thing but apparently my kids are worse than me when it comes to moderation...

They won''t eat plain yogurt and the only veggies they'd eat is cucumber. They like fruit occasionally but typically groan at it too (although they eat the ones in their lunch box typically). They don't like oatmeal. They'll eat eggs once in a while, but it wouldn't be an every day thing for sure. Heck I wouldn't even know what to give them for breakfast if I banned the sugary cereal!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

This... and I find it helpful to make my kids fruit and veggie smoothies most days. I'll put kale, spinach, chard, carrots, and/or peas in there along with fruit, plain yogurt and sometimes a bit of a natural sweetener and they'll guzzle them right down.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Snacks for school that don't require refrigeration:

raisins (other dried fruits without sugar), peanut butter, pumpkin/sunflower seeds, bananas, apples

You can also buy cooler packs to put in the lunch bags; I send my son to school with meat/hummus/dairy/veggies/eggs with cooler packs, and he has never had an issue

Oh lunch is fine, they just don't want perishable snacks for the afternoon. I'll start putting more apples in there though... it needs to be something they can eat easily and doesn't require a spoon. They don't like raisins either...

Even lunch, I'll pack them a ham sandwich and they won't eat it :sad:
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options

This.

Or.

My kids would eat nothing but sugar if I let them, so I do a couple of different things--I stock tons of snacks in the house that are healthy: Laughing Cow cheese wedges (or the store brand,) pretzel chips, almonds, fresh fruit, baby carrots, edamame, etc. and they know that is their options. Also, if they beg for crap, I DON'T.LET.THEM.EAT.IT.

Finally, at dinner, I choose what we eat (with input from the family) but they choose how much. We eat dessert a couple of times a week--and it might be an ice cream sandwich, a lollipop, or a cupcake, depending on what we have in the house. If they don't eat their entire dinner, and it's a dessert night, they don't get dessert...and if they don't eat their entire dinner, we don't allow pre-bed snacking. It's one thing to claim hunger before bedtime if they ate a full meal at dinnertime, but something different to do so when they choose to eat next to nothing.

Don't think you're failing your kids--it's easy to fall into the "convenience" trap, but you need to remember that A.) you are the parent, quit allowing your kids to dictate what's in the house and B.) so what if they don't eat a decent lunch and then they complain that there's "nothing to eat." Chances are, that unless they have a medical condition that requires them to eat certain things or to eat at a certain time, going without lunch and then without snacks prior to dinner won't hurt them.
  • Kairalie
    Kairalie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 5, and we talk about food all the time. When we go to the store (yes I brave the grocery store WITH my child) we talk about healthy foods and what we should and can eat and about things that arent that good but she can have as a snack for school only or a treat at home etc. My daughter actually LOVES kale and mushrooms and eggs and wont let me leave the store without them and that is an argument I am okay with. She gets excited when I tell her its time to make dinner because I let her help. Involve your kids more, the more they see it, the more you all talk about it, incorporate it daily the more your kids will stop reaching for chips and start reaching for carrots :)
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    mom of 5 here to say simply
    the kids will not starve if they do not get the snacks they like
    the choice they have is the snack you offer
    or nothing
    stick to it
    yes they will whine
    yes they will complain
    tell them the sugary snacks are treats you get them on special occasions they are not for everyday
    there is a limit to the snacks as well if they have graham crackers have two then done
    the lowest sugar yogurt is Dannon light and fit
    I also changed the Jelly we eat we get Polaner all fruit
    say no now and remember you are not their friend you are mom
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Yeah obviously I'm going to stick to cereal bars from now on (they need snacks for school, and it can't be anything refrigerated).

They didn't 'run the kitchen' until lately, but now they sneak in and help themselves. I can't be there watching all the time. It's so annoying! And the juice thing is recent... they had a box of juice a couple times a week before and that's it... but my husband started letting them have his juice... told him I'm not buying anymore either.

They are pretty picky when it comes to snacks though, so it's really not easy :(

It is easy. I was always taught you eat what's provided, or you don't eat.
  • mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yeah I started buying them as a once in a while thing but apparently my kids are worse than me when it comes to moderation...

They won''t eat plain yogurt and the only veggies they'd eat is cucumber. They like fruit occasionally but typically groan at it too (although they eat the ones in their lunch box typically). They don't like oatmeal. They'll eat eggs once in a while, but it wouldn't be an every day thing for sure. Heck I wouldn't even know what to give them for breakfast if I banned the sugary cereal!

Toast maybe? Never met a kid who didn't like toast. Toast with peanut butter and honey/banana/jam is a good option. With a glass of milk that's a pretty complete breakfast (carbs, fat, protein). I worked as a childcare taker for several years and all my kids really loved fruit smoothies too (banana, milk, some yogurt, and some berries/mango/pineapple). Maybe try beef jerky for school snacks. Or pistachio nuts which are kinda fun for kids to eat. Kids love cuties (those little clementines). They also love pickles! Graham crackers aren't actually that high in sugar. I sympathize- It can be difficult to ensure the kiddos are eating a healthy, balanced diet without being the food police and screwing up their relationship with food.
  • fullerrunning
    Options
    Not buying more juice is a good idea. Having it occassionally is probably fine but the acidity from the citrus juices is really hard on their teeth if they are drinking it all day. Some moms I know still buy juice for their kids but water it down - like a ratio of 50/50.

Regarding lunches - have you considered trying a bento box style lunch? Maybe if they are more "fun", it would increase the rate of consumption.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Put your foot down. They won't leave. They might even thank you in a few years. Kids are for the long run.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Not buying more juice is a good idea. Having it occassionally is probably fine but the acidity from the citrus juices is really hard on their teeth if they are drinking it all day. Some moms I know still buy juice for their kids but water it down - like a ratio of 50/50.

Regarding lunches - have you considered trying a bento box style lunch? Maybe if they are more "fun", it would increase the rate of consumption.

It's what they have pretty much, it has 3 compartments.

I tried nuts, they don't really like them.. they don't like pickles and cuties. It's actually funny because they eat really well at dinner, but if you ask them to eat those foods any other time, they will refuse.

But I'll keep trying I guess...
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    As a nice lady told me yesterday, her mom said when they were growing up, "You can eat it, or you can sit beside it." If they don't eat what you give them, they don't eat.

Be prepared for whining and tantrums to increase before they accept the new way. This is called an "extinction burst" in dog training -- the bad behavior increases before it goes away.

If they don't eat the sandwiches you provide them for lunch, what do they eat? Do they buy junk with their pocket money?
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options

It is easy. I was always taught you eat what's provided, or you don't eat.

I was raised the same. Eat what is provided or go hungry. Only buy what you want them to have, they will adapt.