Why simply be normal, when you can be a freak?

Options
It amazes me how many people set a goal to lose 20 lbs say. They make it thru hard work and determination. Then what do they do..they go back to their old wicked ways..and BAM...their right back to where they started. I read more than a few times that 90% of people cant keep weight off for more than a year. I don't know if its true...but my gut says it probably is.

So I have a challenge for you...yes you reading this..for one year, just one year, give me your best. Eat correctly, eat below your maintenance if you are heavy or if too thin, eat more. Train in weights and cardio. I don't care which program..pick one, anyone..and for just one year of your life...do everything right. Yes, I realize you will fail sometimes..we ALL binge or skip a day or two there. But when you do, forgive yourself and try harder the next day. Just don't stop and settle for normal. F normal.

Also, I'm asking you to give up those things that you love the most...possibly bread or pasta and this one is going to hurt..no booze. For one year, go dry.

Here's my prediction, in 3 months you will see a real difference, in 6 months you will get lots of Atta Boys/Girls from friends and love ones. At 9 months you just may be in the best shape of your life. And at 12 months...you will have surpassed anything you thought was possible..and from then on you are hooked. As you have truely started to transform. You will be getting bumps where you never had them before...like abs and triceps..and fit into clothing you did in HS...From there, it takes a life of it's own..you have changed your lifestyle...

Most of us have 70 years on this blue globe..give or take. So can you give me just one of those? Just one...and if you do..in time you will become a freak of nature..someone that has self actualized...that has become more of what they could.

One year...will ya?

Replies

• fit4eva86
    fit4eva86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm in, I gave up alcohol 3 years ago, i don't eat bread or pasta but my major downfall is chocolate!! A year from now i wanna be in the best shape of my life. I want to set myself ready and fitter than ever before i hit 30!!
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Nahhh, thanks but I'll settle for mediocre and being able to eat mucho carbs and drink my body weight in rum at Christmas. Besides, I've been doing this for over two years with the likelihood of spending another eighteen months to get where I want. It's all good though, because the journey is as good as the destination.

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Nahhh, thanks but I'll settle for mediocre and being able to eat mucho carbs and drink my body weight in rum at Christmas. Besides, I've been doing this for over two years with the likelihood of spending another eighteen months to get where I want. It's all good though, because the journey is as good as the destination.

Yep.

I'm ok with no booze or cheese for a while and then it's full on afterwards. Learning to have just a little bit of gin or stilton on a regular basis was harder than giving it up altogether as I have in the past.

It's also taken me ages to get here, mainly because I love food and am a chubber. I'm hoping that doing it this way will put me into the freaky category of people who lose a substantial amount of weight and keep it off.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Great post! I love your profile as well....great attitude all around!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    why give up all the stuff that you love when you can get the same results without giving those things up? I don't mean just eating them in whatever size portions, but with good portion control and proper tracking of your food intake, you don't have to give up any foods (or alcohol) you just have to fit them into your calorie and macro goals.

One of the main reasons why people fail in the long term, is because they're in an "all or nothing" mentality... and I know you mean well with your post, but all of what you're saying typifies an all or nothing mentality, i.e. giving stuff up, giving yourself x number of weeks/months/etc where you have to live this perfect lifestyle........ people can't be on their best behaviour 24/7 in any context... that's why the working week is 5 days long, not 7 days long. What's most important for long term health and long term success at anything, is actually sticking with the programme long term. So just as working days include specified times for breaks, an end to the day where people don't have to work, plus weekends and holidays......... a good healthy lifestyle plan (I hate the word diet but it does include tracking food for fat loss if that's what someone needs to do) includes a plan for enjoying all the things in life you want to enjoy, i.e. going to parties where you drink alcohol and eat dessert... planning bread and other demonised foods into your calorie goal (there is absolutely no reason to give up bread whatsoever... all you need to do is track your intake of it, and all other foods, carefully so you stay within your calorie and macro goals)...... if you plan for these things then they don't derail you, and there's no guilt associated with it........ what you said about binge days, not everyone does that and most people can learn not to do that simply by planning to eat those foods in moderation and that their calorie goal is not too extreme.....

Also, there's nothing wrong with being normal. Not everyone has the ambition to have a 6-pack or win tournaments at anything... some people just want to be happy and healthy and enjoy life... and there's nothing wrong with that provided healthy is always factored in to it.

There are loads of successful people on this site who are still here because they still use the site for maintenance or for doing cutting and bulking cycles..... most of those people enjoy all the foods they want in moderation and go to parties and drink alcohol in moderation.... they don't have an "all or nothing" mentality, they have an "everything in moderation/good portion control" mentality and a "this is a lifelong journey, may as well enjoy the journey" mentality....... focusing only on the destination is missing the bigger picture... there is no final destination, because if you get there and just revert back to your old ways you'll get fat again (that's what this 90+% of people who regain the weight do)........ the journey is ongoing and does not stop when you reach an ideal weight or body fat percentage... because you have to stick with the lifestyle changes to stay there, so you do have to focus on enjoying the journey, because no-one can stick with anything that's making them miserable for the whole of the rest of their life.....

(apologies for using the word journey lol... a lot of people don't like that word and I can understand why lol.... but it is a lifelong thing no matter what word you use to describe the process)
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm in the best shape of my life AND eat bread, pasta, etc., and drink wine and vodka!
    Everything in moderation my friend.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    No bread? No thanks
  • BecomingPremsar
    BecomingPremsar Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Looking at the results you got... l would. Plus l'm tired of doing short health spurts and giving up and not keeping my shape after a year. That is ssoooooo true. lt has to be a lifestyle change and l want to become the best l can be. Thanks for posting.
  • amrelmesery
    amrelmesery Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Great post TiberiusClaud, well said
  • amrelmesery
    amrelmesery Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    hey guys ,he is not saying stop eat bread and pasta forever or don't mean to stop eat them completely , he just mean's change your habits and stay fit .
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Or, you can learn to consume those things in moderation, that way you aren't giving up what you love and are still losing weight/becoming healthier.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'll never be normal.

Giving up the stuff I love will not make me less normal. What it will do is make me say eff this. So I'll just keep eating the things I love and occasionally drinking if I want to. Everything in moderation keeps me from giving up.
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've lost it all once and it took me two years to gain it back, but I didn't have the tools offered here on MFP the first time. It was 90% hard work and 10% nutrition. This time I'm doing 50/50, and I've already decided that I'm sticking around here long term. Even after I achieve my current goal. Frankly, if there is a body of a greek god hiding under this fat, then I intend to release it and feed it. :P
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Personally I think asking people to give up what they love the most is asking for disaster. Most people just won't do that. They'll start strong, then fail, and decide it's not worth it. Allowing everything you love in moderation results in better and longer adherence. I'd rather be "normal" and enjoy myself than a "freak" who has to eat a supper restrictive diet for a year, or however long you are advocating.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great post! like others have stated, I also believe in moderation so wouldn't give up bread/pasta, but I do get the overall point that the OP was making.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have pretty much been doing this this year. I haven't given up anything entirely but I've certainly cut back 75+%. Good results so far.
  • southernbuttercup
    Options
    I love this!
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You're a stranger on the internet so no, I'm not giving you jack (other than bothering to read). I have my own goals and priorities and I'm already putting in the work and being successful at them for ME and the people I care about.
  • ImpracticalGirl
    ImpracticalGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather learn how to practice moderation, balance and portion control for the rest of my life. I don't see the appeal of deprivation - in my book this is the number one reason every fad diet fails miserably.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    IM GAME ! (not even old enough to drink yet anyways so thats one thing I dont have to worry about) but having a more toned body is definitely something I'm striving for. Love the post very motivational