Why simply be normal, when you can be a freak?

Options

Replies

• George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    That's some good intentions OP. But I gotta ask....what is more normal than pledging to change everything about yourself , truly committing to give up junk food, and alcohol and to exercise?

I would wager that at least 90% of those 90% you mentioned did exactly that before giving up....it's what lost them those 20 lbs. that they gained back.

I would propose a different, far more freakish challenge to everyone. Make small changes. Set attainable goals that lead to larger ones. Truly learn what moderation is, and give it a try as opposed to the extremist attitude that may not (most likely not) work. Take small bites...metaphorically speaking. Get some knowledge. Use that ****. Make it work for you. :drinker:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Dang, what's with all the pompous posts on MFP today?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    The word Freak...
    Do-not-think-it-means.jpeg
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I am trying to do!
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options
    When I wrote this last night, I thought...if I reach 5 people..it was worth it...5. Well, looks like it was worth it.

For those of you who don't want to take the plunge and stay normal, fine. But how many of you I wonder have swam with sharks, went black water rafting, handgliding...ran up Diamond Head in 20 mins...why? Just because you could.

Sure, walking into a room and knowing you are the fittest person there isn't appealing? Ok

Having strangers stop you in the mall to ask health advice seems a bother. I get it.

Having your significant other bushwack you at every chance because you are now the dream person. Ya I know, that isn't appealing either.

You want to walk down the street and not be notice. Then pls go over to the how to lose weight section cuz chances are you don't have the drive to make it stick. Sure you could be in that 10% that hit a goal and maintain. But I think you may be fooling yourself.

When you get to be a freak on the other hand..you have totally changed your lifestyle..you hit a goal and actually get depressed...why...because you think someday you may actually run out of goals.

And obtw...I've been there done that. Go look at my profile...I have a pic of the before. 2.5 years ago I could have been someone reading this.

So those who signed up..let's do this. For others...good luck.

I've swam with sharks and I still eat bread. I live dangerously.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options
    :love: but I like pie & bourbon :love:

I now know EXACTLY how our party will go down.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    When I wrote this last night, I thought...if I reach 5 people..it was worth it...5. Well, looks like it was worth it.

For those of you who don't want to take the plunge and stay normal, fine. But how many of you I wonder have swam with sharks, went black water rafting, handgliding...ran up Diamond Head in 20 mins...why? Just because you could.

Sure, walking into a room and knowing you are the fittest person there isn't appealing? Ok

Having strangers stop you in the mall to ask health advice seems a bother. I get it.

Having your significant other bushwack you at every chance because you are now the dream person. Ya I know, that isn't appealing either.

You want to walk down the street and not be notice. Then pls go over to the how to lose weight section cuz chances are you don't have the drive to make it stick. Sure you could be in that 10% that hit a goal and maintain. But I think you may be fooling yourself.

When you get to be a freak on the other hand..you have totally changed your lifestyle..you hit a goal and actually get depressed...why...because you think someday you may actually run out of goals.

And obtw...I've been there done that. Go look at my profile...I have a pic of the before. 2.5 years ago I could have been someone reading this.

But are you a freak?
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options

But are you a freak?

I am but probably not in the way the OP means.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    this one is going to hurt..no booze. For one year, go dry.

One year...will ya?

I'd rather die...

Seriously, it's terrific what you have achieved. I am sure it took a lot of hard work, dedication and consistency.

However, I have reached the stage in my life where "great bodywork but nothing going on under the hood" isn't what I want to achieve. My health and the way I perform rather than look is far more important. Sharing moments with my family and friends enjoying good food and wine is far more important.

All of those can be accomplished without going to the extent of dietary change which you outline.

Good luck with your goals.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with almost everything in the OP except the part about giving up bread and pasta. Short of medical problems, there is no reason for that. You don't have eat them if you don't like them…. but giving up major (and pretty basic) foods that you like is contrary to the idea of a lifestyle change that the OP is endorsing. Everything in moderation. You can still be in the best shape of your life!

Also unfortunately… you've got to keep it up longer than a year. People can do things for a year and still gain all the weight back.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Condescension, thy name is TiberiusClaudis.

I only need to bother about being one type of freak:
    72be5bba6bcb45e66c715f4185b1c4f232d4fa899412b69fc722e3c76b5dd3a9.jpg
    condescending-question.gif
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    why give up all the stuff that you love when you can get the same results without giving those things up? I don't mean just eating them in whatever size portions, but with good portion control and proper tracking of your food intake, you don't have to give up any foods (or alcohol) you just have to fit them into your calorie and macro goals.

One of the main reasons why people fail in the long term, is because they're in an "all or nothing" mentality... and I know you mean well with your post, but all of what you're saying typifies an all or nothing mentality, i.e. giving stuff up, giving yourself x number of weeks/months/etc where you have to live this perfect lifestyle........ people can't be on their best behaviour 24/7 in any context... that's why the working week is 5 days long, not 7 days long. What's most important for long term health and long term success at anything, is actually sticking with the programme long term. So just as working days include specified times for breaks, an end to the day where people don't have to work, plus weekends and holidays......... a good healthy lifestyle plan (I hate the word diet but it does include tracking food for fat loss if that's what someone needs to do) includes a plan for enjoying all the things in life you want to enjoy, i.e. going to parties where you drink alcohol and eat dessert... planning bread and other demonised foods into your calorie goal (there is absolutely no reason to give up bread whatsoever... all you need to do is track your intake of it, and all other foods, carefully so you stay within your calorie and macro goals)...... if you plan for these things then they don't derail you, and there's no guilt associated with it........ what you said about binge days, not everyone does that and most people can learn not to do that simply by planning to eat those foods in moderation and that their calorie goal is not too extreme.....

Also, there's nothing wrong with being normal. Not everyone has the ambition to have a 6-pack or win tournaments at anything... some people just want to be happy and healthy and enjoy life... and there's nothing wrong with that provided healthy is always factored in to it.

There are loads of successful people on this site who are still here because they still use the site for maintenance or for doing cutting and bulking cycles..... most of those people enjoy all the foods they want in moderation and go to parties and drink alcohol in moderation.... they don't have an "all or nothing" mentality, they have an "everything in moderation/good portion control" mentality and a "this is a lifelong journey, may as well enjoy the journey" mentality....... focusing only on the destination is missing the bigger picture... there is no final destination, because if you get there and just revert back to your old ways you'll get fat again (that's what this 90+% of people who regain the weight do)........ the journey is ongoing and does not stop when you reach an ideal weight or body fat percentage... because you have to stick with the lifestyle changes to stay there, so you do have to focus on enjoying the journey, because no-one can stick with anything that's making them miserable for the whole of the rest of their life.....

(apologies for using the word journey lol... a lot of people don't like that word and I can understand why lol.... but it is a lifelong thing no matter what word you use to describe the process)

QFT
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I'm a freak!!!!! Well I refuse to give up my carbs, I have just switched to whole wheat everything. I don't drink and have completely given up caffeine. I'm a huge fan of Zumba, and I do a lot of walking. I have been using MFP for 2 1/2 years and I really am in the best health I have ever been. I was a skinny kid, but got fat during my teenage years. I was fat when my husband met me and I was a happy fat lady too. After a while I decided it was time for a change. I had gotten up to 230 lbs wearing size 18/20 jeans, and XL/2X shirts. I also have PCOS and was unable to have children due to it. I was told to loose a minimum of 80 lbs, and eat healthy/exercise in order to have a child. Well after 10 years of marriage and 7 miscarries, and 95 lbs dropped I am currently pregnant (in my 1st trimester still) and because of my healthy lifestyle change I will be able to finally carry. So number 8 is my keeper :-) I have literally worked my *kitten* off just to be able to have a child naturally and I hope my little story can motivate some-one out there.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    this one is going to hurt..no booze. For one year, go dry.

One year...will ya?

I'd rather die...

Seriously, it's terrific what you have achieved. I am sure it took a lot of hard work, dedication and consistency.

However, I have reached the stage in my life where "great bodywork but nothing going on under the hood" isn't what I want to achieve. My health and the way I perform rather than look is far more important. Sharing moments with my family and friends enjoying good food and wine is far more important.

All of those can be accomplished without going to the extent of dietary change which you outline.

Good luck with your goals.

I'm with you, friend.

I love being fit and active but I also enjoy spending time with my family and friends. Not being able to enjoy a meal with them for fear of the carbs lurking in the pasta or bread isn't something that I want.

So, OP, I'll be fit and have fun while I'm at it and you can live the lifestyle you want to. How does that sound?
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options

You have got to be the most condescending person I have ever met
  • enjolraii
    Options
    You said that people have to give up on bread and didn't specify which type. I assume it's not the whole-wheat type. Everything in excess is bad, but I think people can allow themselves to have a slice of bread, especially for breakfast which should be the biggest meal(I am speaking for myself here, my whole day is packed and I rarely eat at home) as it keeps us through out the day.

I gave up on pasta and sugar(I eat chocolate with stevia if I have a bad craving that doesn't go away) and didn't eat any kind of bread this entire summer. But I think that ever since I started eating just a piece or two of whole-wheat bread, it even helped my diet because if I don't eat well for breakfast, I have a big dinner late at night.

Well, I am considered freaky for my picky eating to be honest, especially by family, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I had no motivation to exercise whatsoever ever since I broke my hip and had to give up on Karate but with motivation I did cardio the entire summer and now I do running, yoga etc.(I can't do much since I am super busy).
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    First, pls understand a few thing...note where I posted this..in the motivation and support area. So if I'm trying to motivate people and have them build their will power...is this not the correct venue?

The comment about pasta and bread seem to have hit a nerve. I'm not saying you have to stop eating them, I'm saying, don't over indulge. As long as it fits your macros...go for it. Personally, I go higher on my proteins than carbs, but as long as you hit your macros...that's what matters.

The booze part, I'm sticking to. Think about it, what does drinking alcohol do for many (most?) people. It mellows them. It may provide them a shot of courage. Maybe makes them more confident. Ok, what does being freak fit do. You definitely have more confidence. You actually become intimating to some people, or they may immediately think you are stuck up. Just the opposite infact. Some of the most fitest people I know are the most endearing. Why, because they are comfortable with themselves.

Also, pls note, I’m not saying you will be the strongest or the fastest or the person that can run the fartherest..although I think you have a good chance of it..instead, I’m saying that if you make this a lifestyle change, you will be running at +95% of your potential. Trust me, not too many people walking the streets are at that level.

So again, for those who practice moderation. I have no qualms with you. God loves normal people, he made so many of you. :tongue:

Sorry, had to lop one counter volley. But for those who want to literally be more than they ever imagine. Jump onboard.

Let’s smash it.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Yeah, still condescending.

I actually find it really amusing and even a little endearing that you find moderation to be "normal" and a point of insult. If anything, moderation is the opposite of the norm. Either overindulging or severely restricting yourself is the norm from what I can see. If eating in moderation/IIFYM makes me "normal", then by all means. Be the first person ever to call me normal.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    First, pls understand a few thing...note where I posted this..in the motivation and support area. So if I'm trying to motivate people and have them build their will power...is this not the correct venue?

The comment about pasta and bread seem to have hit a nerve. I'm not saying you have to stop eating them, I'm saying, don't over indulge. As long as it fits your macros...go for it. Personally, I go higher on my proteins than carbs, but as long as you hit your macros...that's what matters.

The booze part, I'm sticking to. Think about it, what does drinking alcohol do for many (most?) people. It mellows them. It may provide them a shot of courage. Maybe makes them more confident. Ok, what does being freak fit do. You definitely have more confidence. You actually become intimating to some people, or they may immediately think you are stuck up. Just the opposite infact. Some of the most fitest people I know are the most endearing. Why, because they are comfortable with themselves.

Also, pls note, I’m not saying you will be the strongest or the fastest or the person that can run the fartherest..although I think you have a good chance of it..instead, I’m saying that if you make this a lifestyle change, you will be running at +95% of your potential. Trust me, not too many people walking the streets are at that level.

So again, for those who practice moderation. I have no qualms with you. God loves normal people, he made so many of you. :tongue:

Sorry, had to lop one counter volley. But for those who want to literally be more than they ever imagine. Jump onboard.

Let’s smash it.

Oh. My. God. Seriously? Someone needs to get over themselves.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You seem to really care about how other people see you OP, your driving goal is the perception of strangers.

Bit sad really