Likes and dislikes of your gym.

Options
Favorite part of my gym:
It is out by my pool and garden and is a beautiful and tranquil place to get my fitness on.

Dislike
No classes and limited free weights.

As I ponder joining one of the big fitness complexes around here I thought I would see what your likes and dislikes of your current gym.

Thanks for sharing.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    -great trainers
    -nice lighting (I know that's weird but it's so nice not to work out in fluorescent lighting!)
    -friendly community
    -lots of classes, both free and some special ones at a price offered by the trainers
    -shake/juice bar
    -store section where I can get gear and headphones if needed
    -5 blocks from home!

Dislikes
    -no pool
    -no kick boxing classes
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Good hours
    Lots of equipment
    classes held very often

Dislikes
    Not much variety in the classes
    The male lifters (they're loud, they stink, they drop weights and are always trying to peek at boobs or butts)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    -Plenty of equipment
    -Not too busy
    -I pay $50 a year

Dislikes:
    -Weights are constantly out of place
    -Bad air conditioning so it gets hot and stuffy
    -No pool
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    - None of the bros squat so the power cage is always free for me
    - Ample free weights in 2.5# increments
    - Pool
    - New and clean

Dislikes:
    - Don't open until 5 am during the week and 8 am on weekends :grumble:
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Likes-

great community

close to home

covered out door section for use of weights

Dislikes-

the weight room smells like rubber and has bad air circulation (only one opening very small window)

they charge extra if you want to use more than one of their locations around town
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I do a 50/50 mix of working out at home and at a rec center.

Pros:
    - more equipment than at home (better bench, heavier weights, track, various cardio machines)
    - it's nice to get away from home and not be interrupted by a child asking me where Rainbow Dash is or if she can have a snack
    - friendly people
    - people watching

Cons:
    - must wear socks and shoes
    - must sometimes wait for equipment or watch to be sure I'm not in anybody's way (i.e., basic manners are a must)
  • arditarose
    Options
    -Not too busy
    -I pay $50 a year

Dislikes:
    -No pool

50 bucks a year? Hot damn. Where you live?
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    It has the equipment I need and want (LOTS of free weights, squat rack, stepmills)
    Clean
    Dislike: No enforcement of gym etiquette rules, specifically, UNLOADING and RE-RACKING of weights.

Although there is only one dislike, it really irks me. I workout in the AM and spend a lot of extra time unloading plates and trying to hunt down the weight plates I need because they are all over the damn place. It would make sense that whomever works in the evenings would tidy the place up before closing.

This makes me seriously think about changing gyms, but the only other viable alternative is Planet Fitness. Since I dumped my membership there because of it being such a crap gym (no free weights, dirty, broken equipment, plus the rest of the stupid PF stuff), I feel doomed to spending half of my gym time unloading and hunting stuff down. :mad: :explode: :mad: :explode:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My gym is in my basement

Likes: no people around other than myself...sometimes my dog will hang out though
    Dislikes: no power rack and wish I had more weights

Edited for spelling
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Dislike: No enforcement of gym etiquette rules, specifically, UNLOADING and RE-RACKING of weights.

Although there is only one dislike, it really irks me. I workout in the AM and spend a lot of extra time unloading plates and trying to hunt down the weight plates I need because they are all over the damn place. It would make sense that whomever works in the evenings would tidy the place up before closing.

This makes me seriously think about changing gyms, but the only other viable alternative is Planet Fitness. Since I dumped my membership there because of it being such a crap gym (no free weights, dirty, broken equipment, plus the rest of the stupid PF stuff), I feel doomed to spending half of my gym time unloading and hunting stuff down. :mad: :explode: :mad: :explode:

Unfortunately that kind of bad behavior has been tolerated at all three gyms I've belonged to in the last four years.

ETA: Reracking is a great little "extra" workout :wink:
  • AJ_G
    Options
    -Not too busy
    -I pay $50 a year

Dislikes:
    -No pool

California
  • arditarose
    Options
    -Not too busy
    -I pay $50 a year

Dislikes:
    -No pool

California

Amazing...I did the math and I pay 660 more, PLUS personal training costs, per year. Now I feel sick to my stomach.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    - 12.00 dollars a month to be able to access all 24hr fitness centers in the country :love:
    - Remodeled pool and sauna
    - Remodeled locker rooms
    - new TRX training area with added dumbbells and a stretching/foam rolling area

Don't really have any dislikes per se', because I can bounce around from gym to gym if I choose to do so.
    BUT some peeves I have with the location I currently go to because it's close to home is:
    - Weights are NEVER re-racked.
    - Someone is always in the squat rack doing bicep curls :grumble:
    - Cardio machines are older

But I try to go early in the morning or later in the evening so it's not as bad, so it's tolerable, and for the price, it can't be beat!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    -great trainers
    -nice lighting (I know that's weird but it's so nice not to work out in fluorescent lighting!)
    -friendly community
    -lots of classes, both free and some special ones at a price offered by the trainers
    -shake/juice bar
    -5 blocks from home!

Dislikes
    -no pool
    -no kick boxing classes
    "nice lighting (I know that's weird but it's so nice not to work out in fluorescent lighting!)" - I so agree! But I thought it was just me and my weirdness. There's a small cardio room (separate from the 3 other larger ones) at my gym that is all windows and over looks the pool. I use that room. Sometimes I'd like to watch TV, but having natural light instead of glaring fluorescents is so much better!
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Tons of free classes
    Great atmosphere and lighting
    Plenty space to have room to do your own thing.
    No ridiculous dress code (looking at you PF :noway: )

Dislikes:
    No family style indoor pool (just has a typical lap pool)
    No indoor track (because it's too damn hot to run outside and running on a treadmill is awful)
  • arditarose
    Options
    -great trainers
    -friendly community
    -shake/juice bar
    -5 blocks from home!

Dislikes
    -no pool
    -no kick boxing classes
    "nice lighting (I know that's weird but it's so nice not to work out in fluorescent lighting!)" - I so agree! But I thought it was just me and my weirdness. There's a small cardio room (separate from the 3 other larger ones) at my gym that is all windows and over looks the pool. I use that room. Sometimes I'd like to watch TV, but having natural light instead of glaring fluorescents is so much better!

Yeah, my gym has like...normal lights. I don't know how to describe it. Fluorescent lights make me sad!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What I like, decent supply of what I need to work out, and a few cute girls to look at from time to time on the stair steppers.

What I don't like:
    - If I ever needed a cable/pulley machine I'd have to knife fight a curl bro for it.
    - When it's busy two people will curl in the same squat rack.
    - No supply of people I'd trust to spot me on a heavy bench press.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    - Plenty of equipment (weights and cardio machines)
    - Up to date equipment
    - Good location
    - Free personal training
    - Consistently helpful and friendly staff
    - Free pizza ;)

Dislikes
    - Seeing a lot of people not wipe their **** butt sweat off machines, although I know this probably happens everywhere
    - In the 30 minute circuit, seeing people go randomly from one machine to another. If you start at 3, go to 4. If you start at 7, go to 8. Not 1 then 8 then 4 then 10. Numerical order people.. >_<
    - I don't usually shower at the gym but when I HAVE to it really makes it an even worse experience by leaving your pubes on the shower floor...
  • AJ_G
    Options
    -Not too busy
    -I pay $50 a year

Dislikes:
    -No pool

California

Amazing...I did the math and I pay 660 more, PLUS personal training costs, per year. Now I feel sick to my stomach.

Not gonna lie, that's absurdly high. Granted $50 a year is absurdly low, but $710 a year not including personal training?? That's nuts. Also, do you really need a personal trainer? Just a thought.
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    - Free pizza ;)

Is your gym a "judgement free zone" and does it look like Barney the dinosaur decorated?

:)