Likes and dislikes of your gym.

Options

Replies

• This helped me. Copy and paste to your browser.

healthfit4life.leadpages.net/gdlking/

-O
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    YMCA.

Locker room is clean.
    Towel service.
    Soap in showers.
    Showers have a ton of water pressure.
    Hot tub, sauna.
    Lots of weights and benches.
    Track.
    Pool.
    Lessons for my kids. I get first dibs on lesson bookings because I'm a member.
    It's cold in the work out area. So nice when you're sweating like mad.

Dislikes:

So many old guys everywhere in the locker room.
    Hot tub and sauna are not co-ed.
    Power racks are used by doofs that do things like calf raises.
    Life Fitness ellipticals are impossible to get heart rate up on.
    Very, very few hot chicks.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    To take your comment though...
    that paying a lawyer to tell you what you can learn for free is a waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own...
    that paying a doctor to tell you what you can learn for free is a waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own...
    that paying an architect to tell you what you can learn for free is a waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own...
    that paying a teacher to tell you what you can learn for free is a waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own...

Lol, you're gonna compare the knowledge and experience provided by a personal trainer to the knowledge and experience provided by a lawyer, doctor, architect, or teacher? That's laughable and I'm sure you knew that before you wrote it. I cannot successfully defend myself in court, or successfully diagnose personal health problems, or design a building, or learn as well in a classroom than I can on my own with relatively little research into the subjects. On the contrary, I can do relatively little research into strength training and successfully train. Those 4 subjects are unbelievably more complex than training for personal strength or aesthetics. As I said, it's great for those who believe that it is worth the cost to have a personal trainer whether it be because they don't know what they're doing starting out or they believe they need to pay someone to push them because they can't push themselves, but please don't make absurd comparisons...
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, that's absurdly high. Granted $50 a year is absurdly low, but $710 a year not including personal training?? That's nuts. Also, do you really need a personal trainer? Just a thought.

It's not bad at all, and a trainer is going to be a LOT more expensive. You're talking $59 a month which is nothing. However, a trainer worth their salt is going to be around that, more if they're busy, or have a private gym.

I think my trainer is about $400 a month, and I'm getting a steal of a deal, and my normal gym is $50 a month I think.

Wow, I guess I'm just not used to that. I don't know anybody who pays more than $30 a month max for a gym membership. Also, personal trainers are a good tool when you're just starting out, and coaches are a good tool if you're competing (body building, athletic competitions, etc), but once you know what you're doing in the gym, you honestly don't need a personal. trainer. The internet is so full of knowledge on lifting programs, nutrition, lifting form, etc that paying a trainer to tell you what you can learn for free is a waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own...

Good grief I pay $160/month! lol $150/month for crossfit and i found a regular gym for $10/month so I can throw in some extra cardio. Most of our "standard" gyms are on average $60-$80/month though. Oh how I wish it was $30/month max! :sad:

Well Crossfit is ridiculously overpriced, everybody knows that. I'll never understand why people will pay that much...
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    can go to any other branch all the states
    it is air conditioned
    clean
    less than 400 a year
    Dislikes: (only at the one I got to that these dislikes pertain too other gyms in the same chain are better)
    owner
    no classes
    needs to be a little bigger
    owner needs to check equipment and add air to exercise balls (the one has so little air in that it goes down about a foot just
    pushing on it)
    only one trainer at this gym who I don't feel comfortable working with so don't
  • Alisiyacb
    Alisiyacb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Club 16

- It's $15/month & it's actually Canadian owned
    - Clean
    - They're partnered with She's Fit so the ladies section is actually fantastic
    - All the cardio machines have built-in TV/Internet
    - Lots of free classes
    - Great atmosphere

Dislikes:
    - The took away the free chocolate milk machine
    - It's about 30 minute drive from my house - but less than 10 minutes from work, so I guess it's a good deal on days I work
    - No pool
    - Closes around 9pm
    - Weight room full of creepy & intimidating bros (but the ladies section does have a good selection of weights)
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Locations all over the US
    Pool
    Basketball court
    Large assortment of free weights
    Low cost, I bought a lifetime membership that is $100 per year about 10 years ago. They don't offer it anymore, but I'm set

Dislikes
    Messy people, leave weights and their crap every where
    only 1 power cage, usually I have to wait for some bro to finish up his curls
    fungus, got athletes foot twice
    Disgusting things happen in bathroom
    Putting up with old men naked shaving in the sink
    Watching people doing exercises in a dumb way that can hurt themselves, gave up along time ago on correcting them
    Locker Room too small and crowded
    Hex plates instead of round plates, this makes deadlifts difficult since they like to move around

I have a large weight selection and bench at home, but no power rack. I workout at lunch and hit the gym, shower, then back to work. On weekends, I prefer to workout at home, unless squatting, then it's off the gym for the power rack.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Likes: (It's a no-nonsense, old school body builder's gym.)
    Ample free weights, olympic bars a-plenty
    2 squat racks
    Friendly staff
    Quirky patrons
    Never crowded
    Has free parking (rare)
    Inexpensive for Los Angeles

Dislikes:
    No air-conditioning
    Limited/old cardio equipment
    Smells like chalk and armpits
  • Shalva
    Shalva Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    lots of new CV equipment
    clean
    nice people
    towel service
    lots of various classes
    weight room is organized and kept after (people do rerack)
    are attentive to member issues

dislikes
    expensive and we subsidize all the people with a million kids
    not open Sundays in the summer only after school starts in the fall
    make changes to equipment without consulting membership
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    YMCA

A nice new cable machine
    Tons of classes available (at least 15 per day mon-friday)
    Nice staff
    pool

Dislikes:
    only 1 squat rack and if you have to use it in the evening it is taken over by the power lifters (who are cool but train for a long time and it's hard to work in when they are squatting 5 plates LOL)
    not enough women who heavy lift. Most hang out at the CV equipment and light weight high rep classes
    limited classes on the weekend
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, that's absurdly high. Granted $50 a year is absurdly low, but $710 a year not including personal training?? That's nuts. Also, do you really need a personal trainer? Just a thought.

It's not bad at all, and a trainer is going to be a LOT more expensive. You're talking $59 a month which is nothing. However, a trainer worth their salt is going to be around that, more if they're busy, or have a private gym.

I think my trainer is about $400 a month, and I'm getting a steal of a deal, and my normal gym is $50 a month I think.

Wow, I guess I'm just not used to that. I don't know anybody who pays more than $30 a month max for a gym membership. Also, personal trainers are a good tool when you're just starting out, and coaches are a good tool if you're competing (body building, athletic competitions, etc), but once you know what you're doing in the gym, you honestly don't need a personal. trainer. The internet is so full of knowledge on lifting programs, nutrition, lifting form, etc that paying a trainer to tell you what you can learn for free is a waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own...

Good grief I pay $160/month! lol $150/month for crossfit and i found a regular gym for $10/month so I can throw in some extra cardio. Most of our "standard" gyms are on average $60-$80/month though. Oh how I wish it was $30/month max! :sad:

Well Crossfit is ridiculously overpriced, everybody knows that. I'll never understand why people will pay that much...

No, not everyone knows that.
    While the CrossFit gym here is cheaper, it is still more than the traditional gym (to add to a previous post, I am not in NYC and $60 a month is the lower end here unless you buy a year membership). My husband does Crossfit. He has also gone the traditional route. If you breakdown how much he pays per day at the gym vs crossfit, Crossfit works out to be cheaper. At least he gets his money worth. A cheap gym membership is useless if you don't use it.
    Crossfit gyms have a much lower client base which means they can't always offer the same prices.

To each their own. It may not be worth it to everyone, but we all have things we are willing to spend a bit more money on. For some, that happens to be Crossfit.

My gym
    Pros
    Cheaper
    There is a pool

Cons
    No parking lot, downtown parking can be a pain
    Small and I find the equipment crowded together
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    yes since they put in the new cable machine they pushed everything together. It wasn't as bad before
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Mine is free! It is at my office! I workout during my lunch hour and sneak in a few classes at night. A great perk of the job!!!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    half rack/platform combos + 1 regular power cage
    bumper plates
    extra bars
    every machine in existence I think
    24/7
    pools, saunas, hot tubs
    waterslide

Dislikes
    I have to really stretch to find a dislike but,
    soap dispensers in the shower are always empty
    no more green machine smoothie :(
    they are way too wound up about organic foods and clean eating
    the construction of the credit union in the next lot is an accident waiting to happen because they can't be bothered to use signs.
  • avsie2014
    avsie2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The Likes:

- the atmosphere - people are really cool, there's no judging, they come in all shapes, sizes and ages
    - the location (3 blocks away from my house)
    - it's one big open space (I used to go to a gym in an older building where the machines were divided in 'rooms')
    - and it's cheap for what it offers (all sorts of classes and good quality machines)
    - they open at 6am, which is absolutely perfect for me and my crazy busy schedule

The Dislikes:

- I'd like a second squat cage...
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Pure Gym, UK

can go to a secondary gym branch for an extra £1 a month, which is ideal for me as I currently I live between two locations and there are Pure Gym branches a 10 minute walk away from both
    free classes
    24 hours
    lots of equipment
    down to earth atmosphere
    no separate "ladies" weights area

Dislikes:
    - the layout of one of the branches I go to is a bit weird, with too much cardio equipment and only a very small classes studio and not enough space for using kettlebells/TRX etc

- hard to book some classes (particularly spin)

- the showers: highly annoying push-button ones that never run for long enough. I understand that the company wants to save money and water, but it would be nice to get more than a nanosecond of water on each push

- the usual gripe about people hogging kettlebells/dumbells/plates and not putting them away properly
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My gym is my local YMCA ... n I friggin HATE that people stand around or use the machines to sit on to talk. Workout or GET OUT!!!!

And I hate that some don't clean the machines after they use them. GROSS

Besides that I like everything else.
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    pool
    locker rooms
    free weights
    several locations (including a women's gym)
    24/7
    jacuzzi
    sauna
    basketball court

dislikes

no bands
    no lacrosse balls
    need more squat racks ( only two)
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    there's too many people in it.
    otherwise good
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I do my weights at home because we have a power cage in our own modest gym, complete with barbells, dumbbells, growing selection of weights, bench etc.

I literally only use my local gym for classes and I've not even looked at the gym equipment.

Good variety of classes across daytime and evening
    Various really reasonable pricing options (gym only, 4 months classes, 8 monthly class, gym and classes, PAYG etc)
    PT's know what they are doing and have a real variety in backgrounds and what they specialize in
    Really positive 'can-do' type of attitude on whatever you want to achieve

Dislikes:
    I'd never shower there (!!), but then I am a bit OCD about things like that, it's straight home to shower
    No pool
    Parking is a bit limited, it's occasionally been more of a case of 'car abandonment' than parking.