Options

Replies

• beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    My friends have memberships
    Tons of new things to try
    Tons of weights

Dislikes
    The price compared to other gyms $65 a month compared to $30 a month at the 24 hour gym in the town I live
    It's not 24 hours
    It's the YMCA and since it's Christian I have few hopes they will ever have pole classes there lol
    The location (It's a 10 mile drive)
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    Not gonna lie, that's absurdly high. Granted $50 a year is absurdly low, but $710 a year not including personal training?? That's nuts. Also, do you really need a personal trainer? Just a thought.

It's not bad at all, and a trainer is going to be a LOT more expensive. You're talking $59 a month which is nothing. However, a trainer worth their salt is going to be around that, more if they're busy, or have a private gym.

I think my trainer is about $400 a month, and I'm getting a steal of a deal, and my normal gym is $50 a month I think.

Wow, I guess I'm just not used to that. I don't know anybody who pays more than $30 a month max for a gym membership. Also, personal trainers are a good tool when you're just starting out, and coaches are a good tool if you're competing (body building, athletic competitions, etc), but once you know what you're doing in the gym, you honestly don't need a personal. trainer. The internet is so full of knowledge on lifting programs, nutrition, lifting form, etc that paying a trainer to tell you what you can learn for free is a waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own...

Good grief I pay $160/month! lol $150/month for crossfit and i found a regular gym for $10/month so I can throw in some extra cardio. Most of our "standard" gyms are on average $60-$80/month though. Oh how I wish it was $30/month max! :sad:

Well Crossfit is ridiculously overpriced, everybody knows that. I'll never understand why people will pay that much...

No, not everyone knows that.
    While the CrossFit gym here is cheaper, it is still more than the traditional gym (to add to a previous post, I am not in NYC and $60 a month is the lower end here unless you buy a year membership). My husband does Crossfit. He has also gone the traditional route. If you breakdown how much he pays per day at the gym vs crossfit, Crossfit works out to be cheaper. At least he gets his money worth. A cheap gym membership is useless if you don't use it.
    Crossfit gyms have a much lower client base which means they can't always offer the same prices.

To each their own. It may not be worth it to everyone, but we all have things we are willing to spend a bit more money on. For some, that happens to be Crossfit.

Generally specialty gyms are more expensive it doesn't matter if it's Yoga, Pole Dancing, Crossfit, Circus Performing studios, or Boxing.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Everyone keeps themselves to themselves
    Lots of weights - more weights than cardio
    only £20 per month

Dislikes:
    Opening hourse (0730-2100 Mon-Fri, 0900-1800 sat, sun) means I cant generally workout at the weekend as its shut when I ready to go.
    Trainers - I can never find them if i need help! They are always swanning over the place chatting rather than being there to help
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    -1.5 miles from my house (when the weather is good, I often walk/run to/from)
    -Some great trainers/staff
    -Plenty of new/well maintained equipment
    -Synrgy 360 (group training, crossfit-type program) <-- I joined specifically for this and I LOVE IT!!
    -Awesome child care area (seriously, my kids BEG to stay the whole time it's open in the evenings)

Dislikes:
    -Cost ($100/month, plus a yearly "upkeep" fee)
    -Limited child care hours (2 hours in the morning, 2.5 hours in the evening, no Fridays, no weekends)
    -Not enough cardio classes (Step and Zumba only once a week, Spinning 3 times a week)
    -Some of the group trainers are just BLAH! Downright boring to the point that I avoid their regular classes and get pissed off if they're filling in for someone else - LOL!
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, that's absurdly high. Granted $50 a year is absurdly low, but $710 a year not including personal training?? That's nuts. Also, do you really need a personal trainer? Just a thought.

It's not bad at all, and a trainer is going to be a LOT more expensive. You're talking $59 a month which is nothing. However, a trainer worth their salt is going to be around that, more if they're busy, or have a private gym.

I think my trainer is about $400 a month, and I'm getting a steal of a deal, and my normal gym is $50 a month I think.

Wow, I guess I'm just not used to that. I don't know anybody who pays more than $30 a month max for a gym membership. Also, personal trainers are a good tool when you're just starting out, and coaches are a good tool if you're competing (body building, athletic competitions, etc), but once you know what you're doing in the gym, you honestly don't need a personal. trainer. The internet is so full of knowledge on lifting programs, nutrition, lifting form, etc that paying a trainer to tell you what you can learn for free is a waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own...

Good grief I pay $160/month! lol $150/month for crossfit and i found a regular gym for $10/month so I can throw in some extra cardio. Most of our "standard" gyms are on average $60-$80/month though. Oh how I wish it was $30/month max! :sad:

Well Crossfit is ridiculously overpriced, everybody knows that. I'll never understand why people will pay that much...

No, not everyone knows that.
    While the CrossFit gym here is cheaper, it is still more than the traditional gym (to add to a previous post, I am not in NYC and $60 a month is the lower end here unless you buy a year membership). My husband does Crossfit. He has also gone the traditional route. If you breakdown how much he pays per day at the gym vs crossfit, Crossfit works out to be cheaper. At least he gets his money worth. A cheap gym membership is useless if you don't use it.
    Crossfit gyms have a much lower client base which means they can't always offer the same prices.

To each their own. It may not be worth it to everyone, but we all have things we are willing to spend a bit more money on. For some, that happens to be Crossfit.

Generally specialty gyms are more expensive it doesn't matter if it's Yoga, Pole Dancing, Crossfit, Circus Performing studios, or Boxing.

It's no different than paying for a personal trainer. That is just as expensive, in fact way more. I used to go to Orangetheory Fitness and it cost me $150/month as well, but it is way more hands on and i didnt have to think about what workout i was going to do, same with Crossfit. Before I tried Crossfit I tried a regular gym and got zero results, and that is because I had to do it on my own. I definately say kudos to those who can get results without help, I definately wish I could do it!
  • bermudamel
    Options
    Previous one:
    Dislikes: no enforcing of the cleaning the equipment after using it
    not training staff how to properly use tanning beds/booths....not everyone can start on 5 mins!
    showers look like a murder movie death scene with roped off areas and buckets everywhere (cleaning up blood I wonder?)
    not enforcing the 30 min workout express when people go in there for 1 machine and hog it for 20+mins even after you've asked them to move and also went and complained to management to get "what do you want me to do"

new one:
    nice showers
    a bowl of fruit and healthy recipes on the front table when you walk in
    classes offered not only in the gym but at the local park as well (and you can bring a guest)
    this was a dislike turned into a like: people sneaking in kids and one in particular would let her kids turn up the treadmills as fast as they could go and they would jump and dance on them however when a few people spoke up right away and the video was checked from that period of time and that problem has been fully resolved. She still comes but only her.
    support to every member when they accomplish things like posting everyone's pic on their fb page who did the warrior dash

Dislikes:
    only 1 and it will be the one I always have LOL: not wiping down the equipment! luckily most people do it there and seem to be a lot more aware. I've only had 1 guy give me stink eye because I wiped something down I was going to use after he didn't. I refuse to get your funk on me or get sick!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Lol, you're gonna compare the knowledge and experience provided by a personal trainer to the knowledge and experience provided by a lawyer, doctor, architect, or teacher?
    All experts. A good coach is an expert, and their knowledge is as specific and in depth as many of the other professional degree holders, and the good ones have extended training (and a master in kinesiology) in a broad section of physiology specific things.

Yes, just like you cannot effectively defend yourself in court, you cannot also be an expert in human physiology. Unless of course you take the time for the training, and then you wouldn't be making statements like, "oh but you can learn it all online." Yes, you *could*, but will you? Will you to the level of expertise of a trained and experienced coach? No. That's the point.

When you're just curling to bro up, cool, read bb.com and good to go. When you're training for something specific, you'll end up needing an expert's help once you hit a certain point, and it make sense to build that team sooner than later. Personally I have a PT, a strength coach, and a sports medicine doctor. Don't need more than that right now.

Spoke to my wife... I apparently don't know ****all about what we pay for the gym. The gym is $75, and my rock climbing gym is $50.
  • jenn_ed
    jenn_ed Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Women only
    Perfect location - right next door!
    Great selection of group classes
    Clean and well-maintained
    Lots of brand new equipment

Dislikes:

No pool
    Expensive ($120/month)
    No early morning classes
  • LanceDuvall
    LanceDuvall Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This could be any gym.......Your membership should be revoked without a refund for talking on your cell phone....at the gym at 5am I was in heaven the new kid didn't know how to turn on the stereo....my God what could be bette than having that awful track of music being disabled? The gym was so peaceful....until that the discounted college student who is paying less money for a 3 month membership decides that at 5am in the am she's going to talk on the phone for the whole hour that she's doing cardio....I don't even answer my cell phone in the gym....if I do....it's am busy make it quick!!!....she never got the hint....while exersing I would be blurting out OH MY GOD....which she would say at least every 5 minutes during her conversation!!!! maybe the death penalty!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Lol.

I would say tolerance is a good feature of a quality gym, based on that post above. If I went to a gym full of intolerant people, I'd move on.
  • tgustafson85
    tgustafson85 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I recently dropped my membership.

10 years ago my gym was under different ownership. The previous owner introduced many innovative ideas to the gym. My favorite were the tubular skylights that brought in natural light into the entire facility. I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, and the skylights allowed me to work out under sunlight in the dead of winter.

A few years back, the gym was purchased by Life Time Athletic. This year they decided to undertake a reroofing project. Unfortunately, they cheaped out and went with a contractor that doesn't work with skylights. The skylights were removed, plunging the facility into the same fluorescent-lit windowless dungeon I work in all day. For a gym that charges $100 a month, I expect better. Thus, I dropped my membership.

A gym isn't merely a space filled with machinery and basketball hoops. It should be a place that strives for total health, and part of that is ample natural lighting!

Oddly enough, since I canceled my membership I've really kicked my fitness goals into high gear. I take longer bike rides, frequent walks, and on crappy days I follow the 10K loop at the Mall of America. I have a set of weights that is sufficient for my needs.

In short -- you don't need a gym to be healthy!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Company gym... lots of cardio equipment, convenient location (7 floors down), inexpensive (Free so long as I go 5 x/mo., dedicated yoga studio, spin studio, and multi-use studio for TRX body pump etc. classes... Free towels...

the sucky part... limited free weights.. ONE squat rack... there's always a wait...
  • Kontxesi
    Kontxesi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Likes-
    - 24 hours
    - plenty of cardio equipment
    - usually pretty quiet
    - friendly staff

Dislikes-
    - Every elliptical machine seems to have an issue. Some of the older ones have subtle but distracting shifts when you're moving. The TV on one has been broken for at least a month. Several will only pick up your heart rate if you're holding the stationery handles, not the exercise handles. The captions on the TVs on the new machines don't work properly. (I know that last one seems silly, but it drives me nuts. If I'm not focused on the TV, I keep checking the clock, and I get miserable.)
    - There are only ceiling fans above every other row of cardio machines.
    - There are a few lifters who are loud and drop weights, despite rules about it. The person I'm thinking of is pretty friendly with the staff, so nothing is said to him.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently working out as a part of my weight loss but here's what I've liked/disliked about gym memberships in the past:

Liked:
    open 24 hours
    clean
    not crowded
    monthly membership not a yearly contract
    secure place to store my keys/phone/purse etc
    Treadmills that face a window to an empty but landscaped outdoor space (Yes!)
    Key fob to let yourself in/out of the building

Disliked:
    Yearly contracts you can't break if you move to a new city
    Short hours
    Dirty
    Broken equipment
    Treadmills that face a mirror (NOT helpful. lol)
    Treadmills that face a busy street (no one wants to see my fat sweaty self... ugh)
    Shi**y gym goers who will fight with you over who's turn it is to use xyz machine
    Having to sign a clipboard and talk to someone to get in/out of the building.
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    lots of bars and weights
    in the city centre just across the road from my house

dislikes
    kids playing in the power racks
    not enough power racks
    crappy music
  • tayleigh4
    tayleigh4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I go to Anytime Fitness.

- they gave me a discount on personal training and my membership.
    - the staff truly cares about their customers.
    - they gave me a free shirt.
    - open 24 hours.
    - managers are awesome, they check-in with you every 6 weeks to see how you're doing.
    - very clean.
    - it's small and not many people are there at a time.

Dislikes:
    - nothing!! i love my gym :)
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    -24 hour access for an extra fee.
    -Has all the equipment I want, I guess.
    -TVs on newer cardio machines.

Dislikes:
    -small gym.
    -no pool.
    -Price. I live in a small city. This gym's not worth the $500 + a year.
    -a mix of old and new equipment, but I'm not picky.
    -lack of classes.
    -no perks like a juice bar.
    -no sauna.
    -too compact

I just like perks when it comes to gyms. Things that my current gym lacks.

I've always been someone who spends a long time at the gym. After working out, I would get in the pool and/or sauna. I can't do that here.
  • Weightwatcher72
    Weightwatcher72 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    good choice of cardio machines, good choice of weights, not been round to resistance machines yet but looks good choice

Staff very friendly

Good busy gym

Digital machines with TVs

Overlooks a beautiful park, pool and tennis courts

Dislikes

Not all TVs on machines work as well as they should, though in fairness I shouldn't be watching tv while working out lol

The cross trainer - though I'm getting over this dislike lol

Only have 3 rowers
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    This could be any gym.......Your membership should be revoked without a refund for talking on your cell phone....at the gym at 5am I was in heaven the new kid didn't know how to turn on the stereo....my God what could be bette than having that awful track of music being disabled? The gym was so peaceful....until that the discounted college student who is paying less money for a 3 month membership decides that at 5am in the am she's going to talk on the phone for the whole hour that she's doing cardio....I don't even answer my cell phone in the gym....if I do....it's am busy make it quick!!!....she never got the hint....while exersing I would be blurting out OH MY GOD....which she would say at least every 5 minutes during her conversation!!!! maybe the death penalty!!!
    Oh my, you have my sympathies! That is something that can drive me absolutely insane. Yes, the death penalty sounds fitting.
  • gelove84
    gelove84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great staff
    Great people

Dislikes:
    Only 1 Power Rack