victoire713
victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
Ingredients:

1 box of Kraft Mac & Cheese w/ cheese packet
butter(as mentioned on carton)
milk(as mentioned on carton)
1 can of sweet peas

Directions:

follow the recipe on the box for the mac and cheese. as soon as that's taken care of, drain the can of peas and add them to the mac and cheese. stir around real good and wait about a few minutes or so to allow the peas to get nice and hot. turn off stove and serve. pretty easy.

Replies

• leightybug098
    leightybug098 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That is so bad for you. KD is terrible for you! Adding peas doesnt really make it better
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    That is so bad for you. KD is terrible for you! Adding peas doesnt really make it better

This is a ridiculous statement. And wrong. Nothing is 'terrible for you" if it's in a well-rounded diet.

That said, mac and cheese is already vegetarian, because, well, there's no meat in it. You can add peas if you like, but personally that sounds a little weird and gross, especially canned peas. Frozen or fresh only for me, please. I'd rather just have them on the side than mixed in. That's just me, though.
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

This is a ridiculous statement. And wrong. Nothing is 'terrible for you" if it's in a well-rounded diet.

That said, mac and cheese is already vegetarian, because, well, there's no meat in it. You can add peas if you like, but personally that sounds a little weird and gross, especially canned peas. Frozen or fresh only for me, please. I'd rather just have them on the side than mixed in. That's just me, though.

I originally almost put in cut green beans but I figured the peas would have made the dish stand out more.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    is there a carnivore mac and cheese that i should be made aware of?

because i'd be all over that
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    is there a carnivore mac and cheese that i should be made aware of?

because i'd be all over that

Just add bacon and sausage. Food of the gods.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Mac and cheese is already vegetarian. Adding peas doesn't make it vegetarian but would make it gross. Mac and cheese is not vegan however.
  • Leo7777
    Options
    What about trying to make a healthier version or just have a small amount of the real thing ; )

Very low fat crème fresh ( 1 tub depending on how many you are cooking for )
    low salt vege stock to flavour
    1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
    grated onion ( small onion )
    pepper
    strong cheese ( mature cheddar ) use less than you normally would because the mustard will enhance the flavour
    I would use 1/2 a cup but it depends on the calories you are working with

So I made this ages ago and just fried the onion in a teaspoon of olive oil, added the crème fresh on a low heat and stirred in the onion, cheese, stock and pepper and mustard until I got a nice sauce. Crème fresh wont spilt or curdle which Is handy.

Then pour over your macaroni ( you can buy wholemeal if you want to make it healthier ) top with a small amount of parmesan and oven bake.

I am not keen on low fat versions of things but I guess if you wanted to you could use low fat cheddar. Low fat crème fresh tends to be free of additives and crap.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Peas? No no no... this is how it is done!

hotdogsoup.jpg
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

hotdogsoup.jpg

Why does that look soooo good.. Dam
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

hotdogsoup.jpg
    this is a vegetarian mac and cheese thread. Please take it seriously.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options

hotdogsoup.jpg

54872-Joey-Friends-gif--Im-not-even-04bY.gif
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

hotdogsoup.jpg
    The cow was a vegetarian. Close enough.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    3XQfQmv.gif
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Ingredients:

1 can of sweet peas

Directions:

follow the recipe on the box for the mac and cheese. as soon as that's taken care of, drain the can of peas and add them to the mac and cheese. stir around real good and wait about a few minutes or so to allow the peas to get nice and hot. turn off stove and serve. pretty easy.

Um....thanks?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Sorry but my mac & cheese has got to be pasta tossed with good EV olive oil and the several garlic cloves that were chopped and fried in it, topped with large shavings of Grana Padano Parmesan (lots, it you ask me) and freshly ground pepper. KD sux :sick:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Ingredients:

1 can of sweet peas

Directions:

The peas contribute protein and fiber.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

I agree with your pea assessment! I am also usually up for a conversation about cheese. I am also glad that OP found something she likes :flowerforyou:

Ironically I was debating making mac and cheese for my classmates on Wednesday. This is the recipe I decided on: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/stove-top-mac-n-cheese-recipe.html

Ingredients

1/2 pound elbow macaroni
    4 tablespoons butter
    2 eggs
    6 ounces evaporated milk
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    Fresh black pepper
    3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
    Directions

In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.

Pretty darn simple although gonna leave out the HS and half the mustard. I also plan on subbing whole milk for the EM, because I have whole milk. Also pretty sure those cans come in 8 ounces or 10 and I would be stuck with a partial can. All the reviews (except for people who couldn't operate the print function) were really good.

Oh and 1/8 of the recipe is `325 calories with the substitutions i mentioned.

ETA: We trade off snacks because the class is only 7 people and I am tired of people only bringing cookies.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    The cow was a vegetarian. Close enough.
    [/quote]

Laughed so hard!
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I prefer Stouffer's mac & cheese. It's cheesie goodness with a side of pasta.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Try other vegetables - broccoli, etc... goes nicely
This discussion has been closed.