Vegetarian Mac & Cheese

Options

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe that I use from skinnytaste.com...sometimes I add tuna and/or a vegetable...

Lighter Baked Macaroni and Cheese
    Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 7 pts
    Calories: 296.67 • Fat: 9.7 g • Protein: 15.8 g • Carb: 34.5 g • Fiber: 5.3 g

Ingredients:

12 oz high fiber elbows like Ronzoni Smart Taste
    1 tbsp butter
    1 tbsp light butter
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup minced onion
    2 cups skim milk
    1 cup fat free chicken broth
    8 oz Sargento 2% reduced fat mild cheddar
    salt and pepper
    4 cups baby spinach
    1/8 cup grated parmesan
    1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
    cooking spray

Directions:

Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Spray a baking dish with buttered flavor Pam. Preheat oven to 375°.

In a large, heavy skillet, melt butter. Add flour and cook over low heat stirring with a whisk. Add onion and cook another 2 minutes. Add milk and chicken broth and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper.

Once it becomes thick, remove from heat, add cheese and mix well until cheese is melted. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, add cooked macaroni and baby spinach. Pour into baking dish. Top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs. Spray a little more buttered flavor Pam on top.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, then broil for a few minutes to get the breadcrumbs golden.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Great! Now I can add this to my other recipes, like "vegetarian Cheerios" and my all time favorite, "vegetarian chocolate pudding"
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Mac and cheese with hot dogs :love:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I don't like hot dogs in mac and cheese. I don't like condiments either. I have been this way all my life. Are any of u suggesting I start on the condiments now?

I am. I'm suggesting you put ketchup in your mac and cheese. Cuz it's goooooood. And yes, I'm a kid! :tongue:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I couldn't help myself :blushing:

8235-010212_VegLT_MacCheeseCauli_MED-458x326.jpg

Cauliflower "Mac"-and-Cheese

1 large head cauliflower (1 ½ lb.), cut into medium florets (8 cups)
    2 Tbs. butter or margarine
    3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
    2 cups low-fat milk
    1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
    2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
    ½ cup nutritional yeast
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    2 egg yolks
    1 ½ cups fresh breadcrumbs

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets, and boil 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid, and set aside.

2. Melt butter in same pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk, garlic, and reserved cooking liquid, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, and egg yolks until cheese is melted. Fold in cauliflower.

3. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread cauliflower mixture in baking dish, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Spray breadcrumbs with cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes, or until casserole is hot and bubbly and breadcrumbs are crisp and brown.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...Yesterday you ate less than 600 calories...but had 11,500 mg of sodium??? Really???

If you have no medical conditions that warrant reduced sodium I don't think you have to stick perfectly to those guide lines but...11,500 in one day...one meal??? Really???

Learn to cook...you don't need a box of salt in every meal to make it taste good. I recommend the following site...good recipes...healthy...and will fit in to a weight loss program.

Skinnytaste.com

She gives step by step instruction with lots of pictures.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Tuna mac & peas was a staple in my house when my wife and I were first married. It was the only dish I knew how to cook. Similar to OP's recipe except add a can or two of tuna fish (drained).

Oh, and *frozen* peas or GTFO.

I used to make that when I was first on my own. A little ashamed that I made it for my dad and stepmom when they came for dinner, but hey, I was still learning.
  • dj1skywalker
    Options
    My mom always added ground beef....Hamburger Helper was too expensive haha
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    What about trying to make a healthier version or just have a small amount of the real thing ; )

Very low fat crème fresh ( 1 tub depending on how many you are cooking for )
    low salt vege stock to flavour
    1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
    grated onion ( small onion )
    pepper
    strong cheese ( mature cheddar ) use less than you normally would because the mustard will enhance the flavour
    I would use 1/2 a cup but it depends on the calories you are working with

So I made this ages ago and just fried the onion in a teaspoon of olive oil, added the crème fresh on a low heat and stirred in the onion, cheese, stock and pepper and mustard until I got a nice sauce. Crème fresh wont spilt or curdle which Is handy.

Then pour over your macaroni ( you can buy wholemeal if you want to make it healthier ) top with a small amount of parmesan and oven bake.

I am not keen on low fat versions of things but I guess if you wanted to you could use low fat cheddar. Low fat crème fresh tends to be free of additives and crap.

Too much work...
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    * sorry I meant to hit "quote"
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    It's orange.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Tuna mac & peas was a staple in my house when my wife and I were first married. It was the only dish I knew how to cook. Similar to OP's recipe except add a can or two of tuna fish (drained).

Oh, and *frozen* peas or GTFO.

My mom used to do this, but she also added sauteed onions and peppers, covered it with bread crumbs, popped it in the oven and called it a casserole.
  • ashteinpeacock
    ashteinpeacock Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I couldn't help myself :blushing:

8235-010212_VegLT_MacCheeseCauli_MED-458x326.jpg

Cauliflower "Mac"-and-Cheese

1 large head cauliflower (1 ½ lb.), cut into medium florets (8 cups)
    2 Tbs. butter or margarine
    3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
    2 cups low-fat milk
    1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
    2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
    ½ cup nutritional yeast
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    2 egg yolks
    1 ½ cups fresh breadcrumbs

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets, and boil 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid, and set aside.

2. Melt butter in same pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk, garlic, and reserved cooking liquid, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, and egg yolks until cheese is melted. Fold in cauliflower.

3. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread cauliflower mixture in baking dish, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Spray breadcrumbs with cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes, or until casserole is hot and bubbly and breadcrumbs are crisp and brown.

Gracious! Cauliflower has never looked soo good! Lol. Thanks for this recipe!!!

As far as the orginal recpe posted here... that is NOT "vegitarian"
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I don't like hot dogs in mac and cheese. I don't like condiments either. I have been this way all my life. Are any of u suggesting I start on the condiments now?

No just suggesting you learn the basics of cooking. E The "recipes" you are posting are just horrible
    I suggest you look at the rules on this board.... Why so rude?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

No just suggesting you learn the basics of cooking. E The "recipes" you are posting are just horrible

Well, to be fair, OP posted two recipes that involved adding a T of salt to a can of soup which is, by all accounts, pretty horrible for taste and for health.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Are you a troll? You've posted like ten "recipes" that aren't really recipes. If not, I'm not trying to make fun of you or anything but who doesn't know how to make a sandwich or follow the instructions on the Kraft Mac'N Cheese box.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Not rude .. would be called honest. She's taking high sodium items adding them together, adding more salt to them. They are horrible health and taste wise.

Maybe you should get your white knight costume off and actually start helping
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Do you like my recipe? Vegetarian Salt N Vinegar Crisps:

Ingredients: 50g Walker's Salt N Vinegar Crisps (or whichever brand you prefer)
    Method:
    1- Walk to shop
    2 - Choose Salt N Vinegar Crisps (for this recipe they MUST be Salt N Vinegar flavour)
    3 - Check Date on Crisps to make sure they are fresh
    4 - Pay for the Crisps
    5 - Leave the shop
    6 - Open Crisp Packet
    7 - Enjoy!
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I thought only kids ate Kraft Mac & Cheese.

HOW DARE YOU

This.
    And i am convinced that pasta in the shape of cartoon characters does in fact taste better than regular macaroni. It is science.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I thought only kids ate Kraft Mac & Cheese.

HOW DARE YOU

This.
    And i am convinced that pasta in the shape of cartoon characters does in fact taste better than regular macaroni. It is science.

Except that some of those shaped pastas take considerably more time to cook. Elbows? 7.5 minutes. Disney Cars Lightning McQueens? 12 minutes.

ANGTFT
This discussion has been closed.