The single biggest cause of male deaths...

Options
in the UK where I live for men aged between 20 - 49 years old almost made me fall off my chair when I read what it was.

It is not road traffic accidents.

It is not heart disease.

It is not cancer.

Or even obesity.

It is suicide.

So, if you are a man and you struggle with these thoughts, if you feel despair and hopelessness and doubt please know you are not alone. It is not a reflection of your worth as a man to any degree. There is help out there for you and taking that help is just as important as looking after yourself physically.

CALM - The Campaign Against Living Miserably - is a UK charity which supports men who struggle in this area. Their website can be found here: https://www.thecalmzone.net/about-calm/what-is-calm/

Live long my brothers.

#mandown

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    in the UK where I live for men aged between 20 - 49 years old almost made me fall off my chair when I read what it was.

It is not heart disease.

It is not cancer.

Or even obesity.

It is suicide.

So, if you are a man and you struggle with these thoughts, if you feel despair and hopelessness and doubt please know you are not alone. It is not a reflection of your worth as a man to any degree. There is help out there for you and taking that help is just as important as looking after yourself physically.

CALM - The Campaign Against Living Miserably - is a UK charity which supports men who struggle in this area. Their website can be found here: https://www.thecalmzone.net/about-calm/what-is-calm/

Live long my brothers.

#mandown

Bump... cause I love you... :heart:

And not in a stalkerish sort of way...

Because you're across the pond. :grumble:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

It is not heart disease.

It is not cancer.

Or even obesity.

It is suicide.

Live long my brothers.

#mandown

Lol. Thanks love.

It's amazing such an important issue gets so little airtime it seems....
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options

It is not heart disease.

It is not cancer.

Or even obesity.

It is suicide.

Live long my brothers.

#mandown

Ditto. Love you too :-)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

It is not heart disease.

It is not cancer.

Or even obesity.

It is suicide.

Live long my brothers.

#mandown

Lol. Thanks love.

So you want attention?
  • msf74
    Options
    So you want attention?

I want the issue to get attention.

If you want to give me attention at the same time you are more than welcome dude...
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

It is not heart disease.

It is not cancer.

Or even obesity.

It is suicide.

Live long my brothers.

#mandown

Lol. Thanks love.

So you want attention?

WUT?
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    So you want attention?

If you want to give me attention at the same time you are more than welcome dude...

Well you can tell us better. You have any theories on why this is so? I was expecting to read something else.
  • msf74
    Options
    Thank you for posting this.

No problem mate.

It is an important issue and needs to be discussed openly.
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thank you for this. :flowerforyou:
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    So you want attention?

I would give you attentions! Bump!
  • msf74
    Options
    So you want attention?

Well you can tell us better. You have any theories on why this is so? I was expecting to read something else.

It's a multitude of factors which can affect male mental health - unemployment, stereotypical views of what man's role "should" be linked to feelings of self worth, young men growing up with histories of abuse either in the home or broader communities, access to support networks to help cope with hard times in life.

I am glad you are expecting and wanting to read more on the subject. That is why I linked the CALM website where you can find a myriad of research papers on the issue.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    The leading cause of death of men in the UK is heart disease…
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

He was specific about the age range, 20-49.
  • farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Did you even read the post? He said between ages 20 and 49...
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Not exactly .. The leading cause of death in 20-34 year old men in the uk is suicide AND POISONING AND ACCIDENTS.

Suicide and injury/poisoning of undetermined intent were the leading cause of death for 20-34 year olds, for 26% of men and 13% of women. Factors that could lead to these deaths include: traumatic experiences, lifestyle choices such as drug or alcohol misuse, job insecurity and relationship problems.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/mortality-statistics--deaths-registered-in-england-and-wales--series-dr-/2012/sty-causes-of-death.html
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

The OP actually specified the particular region that he lives in. The UK is comprised of four different countries.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I'm sorry, but the last time I checked, suicide was a huge problem for society regardless of what continent you are on. Picking apart a post for factual inaccuracies that is simply intended to emphasize the problem is just silly and ridiculous!
  • msf74
    Options
    I am happy to revise the title of this thread (or ask a Mod to do so) to "one, if not the biggest cause of male deaths" if needs be and it draws people back to the underlying issue of why so many young men it seems are taking their own lives...
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I'm sorry, but the last time I checked, suicide was a huge problem for society regardless of what continent you are on. Picking apart a post for factual inaccuracies that is simply intended to emphasize the problem is just silly and ridiculous!

Good looks on what I was going to say. It still a problem everywhere whether you want to hear it or not.