The single biggest cause of male deaths...

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I am happy to revise the title of this thread (or ask a Mod to do so) to "one, if not the biggest cause of male deaths" if needs be and it draws people back to the underlying issue of why so many young men it seems are taking their own lives...

You don't need to do that. You started this thread with a charitable heart. Some people have nothing better to do than to detract from the issue.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's a very neglected issues worldwide. Thanks for taking the time to help raise some awareness.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    The leading cause of death of men in the UK is heart disease…

Did you even read the post? He said between ages 20 and 49...

It's actually ages 20-34.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

We all appreciate your input in this thread. With more people like you, this societal issue is sure to be resolved in no time. /sarcasm

It's really telling that you needed to take the focus of this thread and put on you and your attention to detail.

Nice!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I am happy to revise the title of this thread (or ask a Mod to do so) to "one, if not the biggest cause of male deaths" if needs be and it draws people back to the underlying issue of why so many young men it seems are taking their own lives...

You don't need to do that. You started this thread with a charitable heart. Some people have nothing better to do than to detract from the issue.

As long as the issue is getting discussed I am not fussed ;)
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

Well aren't you just the ray of sunshine....Perhaps the article that he read was outdated, or not as specific...the bigger issue is Suicide Awarness...Don't be a twit..

giphy.gif
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Yeahbut .. "Noble lies" and misinformation detract from the issue too. Nobody is suggesting that it's not a serious issue. But you don't have to BS about the statistics to get peoples' attention. All that's going to do is cause people to dismiss the position that is supported by the noble lie.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

We all appreciate your input in this thread. With more people like you, this societal issue is sure to be resolved in no time. /sarcasm

If someone is going to throw out statistics regarding a very serious matter, at least have the correct data so people are CORRECTLY informed. That's why I said suicide is the leading cause of men between the ages of 20 and 34.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

As long as the issue is getting discussed I am not fussed ;)

Do you feel a theory is that men just do not talk about real stuff at all? Feeling you know any men who talk to other men about feelings?
  • Collier78
    Options

Yeahbut .. "Noble lies" and misinformation detract from the issue too. Nobody is suggesting that it's not a serious issue. But you don't have to BS about the statistics to get peoples' attention. All that's going to do is cause people to dismiss the position that is supported by the noble lie.

I can say with certainty that he did not "BS" the statistics. IF this is the statistic the article gave he was simply stating the fact as he knew. Any data from ANY research can be skewed in the favor of whoever is conducting the research. Posting about being off on the age range DETRACTS from the issue..
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    That's very interesting. Funny, in the last year I've heard of people I know and know of killing themselves and they have all been men. I think there were about 5.

They were in 12-step programs, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!

(Note - the single biggest cause of me smashing my head against the desk is arrogant twits who are more concerned with picking apart the statistics than discussing the actual issue.)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Wow! Okay... so you think OP just pulled this stuff out of his *kitten*, eh?

That's a neat trick! I'd kinda like to see that.
  • Collier78
    Options

If someone is going to throw out statistics regarding a very serious matter, at least have the correct data so people are CORRECTLY informed. That's why I said suicide is the leading cause of men between the ages of 20 and 34.

So the subject matter is somehow less important because the age range was off by a few years...the point is to get people talking about suicide among men...who cares how old they are..seriously
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

I can say with certainty that he did not "BS" the statistics. IF this is the statistic the article gave he was simply stating the fact as he knew. Any data from ANY research can be skewed in the favor of whoever is conducting the research. Posting about being off on the age range DETRACTS from the issue..

I wasnt talking about the age range. Look at my previous post and the source. It's not "suicide" .. it's suicide, ODs, poisonings, and accidents all lumped together that become the leading cause ....
  • msf74
    Options
    To clarify, I took stat from the CALM website which highlight the research here:

https://www.thecalmzone.net/about-calm/suicide-research-stats/
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    That's very interesting. Funny, in the last year I've heard of people I know and know of killing themselves and they have all been men. I think there were about 5.

They were in 12-step programs, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

If they were in the step program for drugs or alcohol they did not take it seriously. That program is very helpful.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I think I just fell in love a little for you posting this.

(plus I love your profile pic)

Thank you
    Thank you
    Thank you

This is an important issue for all genders, ages and world regions.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Have you ever taken an actual statistics class?

None of them are accurate! There is always a measure of deviance that is accounted for in the formula.

Get over yourself!
  • msf74
    Options

That's fair enough.

My intention wasn't to mislead and as you say accuracy is important.

At least it's started some debate which is never a bad thing.