The single biggest cause of male deaths...

Options

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    But you don't have to BS about the statistics to get peoples' attention.

Is that what he did? Lie for attention? Really.....

Who's really vying for attention here.... ?(taps foot and stares directly at you)
  • ValGogo
    Options
    That's very interesting. Funny, in the last year I've heard of people I know and know of killing themselves and they have all been men. I think there were about 5.

They were in 12-step programs, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

If they were in the step program for drugs or alcohol they did not take it seriously. That program is very helpful.

Just stop right there, ok? And I'm saying this with a smile.
  • Lumpy52403
    Lumpy52403 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The timing of this post could not be more...strange. I just found out yesterday that a childhood friend ended his own life. I'm not sure if I'm going to the funeral or not, since it's 500 miles away.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    It's amazing such an important issue gets so little airtime it seems....
    [/quote]

Exactly! Good post.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    That's very interesting. Funny, in the last year I've heard of people I know and know of killing themselves and they have all been men. I think there were about 5.

They were in 12-step programs, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

If they were in the step program for drugs or alcohol they did not take it seriously. That program is very helpful.

You don't know that at all. They may have taken it very seriously.

People who are depressed often turn to drugs and alcohol as a means to self-medicate. Depression, however, is a very complex issue that often requires more help than a support group can offer.

Yeah, I replied to him before and I'm gonna reply to this. One of the people had over 20 years clean. One never really know what's going on in one's mind. Suicide sucks and, what's worse, I hear people say things like "I don't have the balls/courage, etc, to do that." People get everything so twisted, as if somehow it's noble and brave to kill yourself. I'm not saying it's cowardly either. It's just a permanent solution to a temporary problem, usually.

It's sad. Thank you OP for bringing this up. I'm right there with you, regardless of the others.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The fact that people can argue over stats when the issue here is that people ARE KILLING THEMSELVES is disgusting. Whether the stats are off or not, you can take that up with the publisher of the article.

The fact that people (specifically men that we're talking about here) in the prime of their life feel the need to kill themselves is frightening and disturbing. Do they feel like they have no where to turn? Does it just get so overwhelming and the society they're in doesn't foster an open-help policy?

I know that I've been there before (girl, not guy) but it was similar. I felt alone (even though I wasn't) and when I talked to people who said that they wanted to listen and help, and tended to get "it's not that bad, just suck it up and deal with it". If it was that easy, I WOULD have.

But I couldn't. There was no 'sucking up' to be had. I was being swallowed alive and everything was just far too overwhelming. Which led to my developing an eating disorder in order to comfort and help numb what I was feeling. I thought about death. I thought about ending everything. Who wants to continue living when it's so hard and unimportant? Who wants to feel like, for some reason, they're unable to handle life when everyone else finds it just so simple?

My conclusion after all of this: It isn't simple. It's not simple for anyone, despite what's said. We all suffer inner turmoil, just some feel it more than others. I obviously didn't follow through, and I'm thankful. I'm stronger, I'm smarter, and I'm much more aware than I was. It does get better.

So the next time one of your friends says "I need to talk..." , just listen to them. Give them honest, heartfelt opinions if they ask for it. Please don't tell them to "man-up, suck it up, or deal with it".
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    The fact that people can argue over stats when the issue here is that people ARE KILLING THEMSELVES is disgusting. Whether the stats are off or not, you can take that up with the publisher of the article.

The fact that people (specifically men that we're talking about here) in the prime of their life feel the need to kill themselves is frightening and disturbing. Do they feel like they have no where to turn? Does it just get so overwhelming and the society they're in doesn't foster an open-help policy?

I know that I've been there before (girl, not guy) but it was similar. I felt alone (even though I wasn't) and when I talked to people who said that they wanted to listen and help, and tended to get "it's not that bad, just suck it up and deal with it". If it was that easy, I WOULD have.

But I couldn't. There was no 'sucking up' to be had. I was being swallowed alive and everything was just far too overwhelming. Which led to my developing an eating disorder in order to comfort and help numb what I was feeling. I thought about death. I thought about ending everything. Who wants to continue living when it's so hard and unimportant? Who wants to feel like, for some reason, they're unable to handle life when everyone else finds it just so simple?

My conclusion after all of this: It isn't simple. It's not simple for anyone, despite what's said. We all suffer inner turmoil, just some feel it more than others. I obviously didn't follow through, and I'm thankful. I'm stronger, I'm smarter, and I'm much more aware than I was. It does get better.

So the next time one of your friends says "I need to talk..." , just listen to them. Give them honest, heartfelt opinions if they ask for it. Please don't tell them to "man-up, suck it up, or deal with it".

QFT!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP for making an effort to bring this topic to everyone's attention. It's a terrible loss of young men and devastating for the family and friends of those who can't go on anymore.
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Has anyone asked why the suicide rate is so high?
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP WHO CARES ABOUT THE AGE RANGE OR WHAT IS ALL LUMPED TOGETHER AS A LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH.

The topic is about suicide and why so many males commit suicide. The number should be ZERO but it's not so its obviously a problem that needs to be discussed. Quit demanding that you be right and getting a topic off topic and then get it deleted and start talking about an actual issue!!!

ANYWAYS

Did you notice that when Robin Williams died suicide and depression were all over the news and people were writing a ton of articles about it. Now you see jack squat about suicide or depression stories because the media has moved on to other stuff? Which is sad, it should be talked about even if someone famous didn't just kill themselves.
  • spsanderson
    spsanderson Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    there is a completely rational answer resulting from a single word irrationality,

wife
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I am happy to revise the title of this thread (or ask a Mod to do so) to "one, if not the biggest cause of male deaths" if needs be and it draws people back to the underlying issue of why so many young men it seems are taking their own lives...

You don't need to do that. You started this thread with a charitable heart. Some people have nothing better to do than to detract from the issue.

Yeahbut .. "Noble lies" and misinformation detract from the issue too. Nobody is suggesting that it's not a serious issue. But you don't have to BS about the statistics to get peoples' attention. All that's going to do is cause people to dismiss the position that is supported by the noble lie.

I can say with certainty that he did not "BS" the statistics. IF this is the statistic the article gave he was simply stating the fact as he knew. Any data from ANY research can be skewed in the favor of whoever is conducting the research. Posting about being off on the age range DETRACTS from the issue..

I wasnt talking about the age range. Look at my previous post and the source. It's not "suicide" .. it's suicide, ODs, poisonings, and accidents all lumped together that become the leading cause ....

YOU did not specify that you were not talking about the age range...nor did you mention anything about causes being lumped together. If YOU re-read your original response it can easily be mistaken as you saying he is BSing about the age range/statistic.

I sure did, earlier in the thread.

The Noble Lie response was just a warning that disinformation, regardless of if it is positive or negative, can have negative impacts to the overall cause.

As long as there are people grieving over those that they have lost to suicide, I very seriously doubt that one menial statistic will ever detract from the cause regardless of its accuracy.

You don't have to worry about those peoples' commitment to the cause. It's the people who have NOT had to deal with it whose support you're trying to gain and keep, and bad data doesn't help.

Emotion has a greater impact than numbers.

The fact of the matter is that statisticians are never accurate. Two different statisticians can produce drastically different figures at any point in time. Generally, a margin of error is accounted for, but that margin of error can vary between studies. All statistics are meant to show is meaningfulness, which will always and forever be subjective.

If you show one group of people a statistic and another group of people a grieving mother, which do you honestly think will be more motivating?
  • ValGogo
    Options

YES, 100 times yes. It's quite disgusting. It's almost crazy. What's wrong with people?
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    there is a completely rational answer resulting from a single word irrationality,

wife

Wrong time to joke or maybe you are not.
  • mswoodsy
    mswoodsy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am happy to revise the title of this thread (or ask a Mod to do so) to "one, if not the biggest cause of male deaths" if needs be and it draws people back to the underlying issue of why so many young men it seems are taking their own lives...

You don't need to do that. You started this thread with a charitable heart. Some people have nothing better to do than to detract from the issue.

As long as the issue is getting discussed I am not fussed ;)

Do you feel a theory is that men just do not talk about real stuff at all? Feeling you know any men who talk to other men about feelings?

Unfortunately yes :( that and my husbands father died when he was six. Left his mom with 5 kids and no immediate income. He became suicidally depressed. But it wasn't him who didn't want to talk. Any time he tried to talk about it his mom would tell him "You're not the only one who lost your dad. You have to be the man now." 6 years old, 10 years, 18. Answer never changed. He's obviously very scarred from this and was basically raised by his eldest sister. Attempted suicide multiple times and has delt with CPS (american co.).

I can tell he still struggles but has learned to deal with things internally. Just push them down and ignore them. I wish he would talk more about his dad, even just in general (not about his death). But idk if it would be good to prod since he is actually very put together, level headed and positive about life.

Idk what helped him, since he won't talk about it. But I definitely know what hurt him.
    Very important issue. Men and women and children.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    It's amazing such an important issue gets so little airtime it seems....

Agreed. It is very sad. We as a society have attached a stigma to mental illness. The stigma surrounding suicide discourages individuals suffering to discuss their suicidal thoughts. This is the biggest problem. The people who need help don't seek it because they don't want to be perceived as weak, selfish, and lacking in faith. Another problem is that most people don't understand suicide. They don't understand how someone could do that to their family, etc. We need to educate and erase the stigma of the word suicide. Education often leads to better understanding and greater willingness to seek treatment.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    According to the WHO, someone commits suicide every 40 seconds in the world.

" Globally, suicides account for 50% of all violent deaths in men and 71% in women. With regard to age, suicide rates are highest in persons aged 70 years or over for both men and women in almost all regions of the world. In some countries, suicide rates are highest among the young, and globally suicide is the second leading cause of death in 15−29-year-olds."

Although heart disease, cancer and diabetes are often at the forefront of our disease prevention efforts, we should all be equally aware of our own mental health, and help others who may be suffering from depression, bipolar, schizophrenia and substance abuse -- these are all diseases that increase the likelihood of a completed suicide attempt.

One way that everyone can help is to examine our own views about mental illness, and work to reduce the stigma associated with a mental illness diagnosis and subsequent treatment.

NAMI is a great non-profit organization that works toward this goal. There are NAMI walks all over the country -- please consider joining one to show your support of those who suffer from mental illness. The Phoenix walk is on October 18.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

It's only helpful if you don't fall off the wagon. You're abandoned if you do, which is when you need your support system the most.

You can't say they didn't take it seriously. The last meeting I went to, to check out to bring said friends too, I was shocked at the amount of nonsense and scary religious claptrap that was being spouted. I just accepted it when I was in my kate teens early twenties, I wouldn't dream of recommending it to anyone here in London. They'd run a mile,

The world is a very difficult place once you start substance abusing. I've lost many friends to suicide. For the males, it was related to substance abuse and a grandiose illusion of how successful and amazing everything should be, compared to the boring reality.

It's very sad that we can't all just lead simple lives, being happy being sober....or, getting medication and someone to watch over the administration of it.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

TRUTH.