MAYO vs PB

Options
1235»

Replies

• sofulnaturalee
    sofulnaturalee Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Ever since I had my gallbladder taken out, mayo does horrible things to me. :( But peanut butter doesn't. Peanut butter doesn't want to hurt or embarass me like mayo does.

Plus peanut butter and chocolate is the best combination on EARTH.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

PS. BEST COMBO EVER!!!!! Hands Down
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Just curious... why does mayo get such hate on the internet while PB gets all the love? I mean mayo has low sat fats/100g comapared to PB and it has high PUFAs.
    Eating mayo with a spoon right out of the jar isn't as appealing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't care for mayo and order sandwiches without it (or its cousins salad dressing and ranch). I prefer mustard or hot sauce.

I like peanut butter, but typically I like them in things that aren't good for me, such as Reeses cups and Graeter's Buckeye Blast ice cream.

So I prefer pb to mayo, but I don't eat mayo and not a lot of pb, so I don't have much of a horse in the race.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I can't stand PB in anything other than protein shakes, cookies, cake, ect. I love mayo with tuna, salmon, on sandwiches, ect. I use mayo more than PB.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I actually eat mayo more often. But for both, it's a matter of calories. IIFYM.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Personally, I hate mayo. But peanut butter on crackers (ie wheat thins or cinnamon pita chips or Keebler town house flatbread sea salt crisps), yum. I have that as an afternoon snack. Daily. And I buy peanut butter that just has peanuts and salt, and I add my own organic honey (well, by my own, I mean purchased at the store, so now I own it) to it, so I can control the sweetness factor. 2-3g of honey in 1T of peanut butter, equals the perfect sweetness factor, with only about 8-10 extra calories. Yum.

I also just read a couple of recipes for peanut butter that look absolutely delightful.

18. Peanut Butter and Chocolate Pretzels
    A little salty sweet combo can cure those sugary cravings. Microwave 1 square of dark chocolate and 1 teaspoon natural peanut butter until melted, and dip 1 large or 10 mini pretzel rods.

27. Waffle-wich
    Time to give that Eggo a makeover. Start with a whole-grain version of the classic frozen waffle. Toast to desired crispiness and slice in half. Top one half with 1 tablespoon peanut butter and 2 sliced strawberries. Top with other half, and enjoy!

Don't those sound great!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    And yes, PB is considered a healthier fat, and no they do not have similar fat profiles. One is made from oil and eggs and keeps your sandwich bread from drying into croutons in your lunchbox, the other is made from peanuts which has protein and will help fill you up.

Just because they serve different purposes and have different tastes and textures, doesn't mean they don't have similar fat profiles.

Here are the percentage breakdowns of the fatty acids in soybean oil (the primary oil found in most store mayo) and peanut oil (the oil in "just peanuts" peanut butter):

Peanut Oil
    Palmitic acid - 6-9
    Stearic acid - 3-6
    Oleic acid - 52-60
    Linolenic (Omega-3) acid - 0
    Linoleic (Omega-6) acid - 13-27

Soybean Oil
    Mysteric - trace-.5
    Palmitic - 7-11
    Stearic - 2-4
    Oleic - 22-34
    Linolenic - 5-11
    Linoleic - 43-56

Source: http://www.chempro.in/fattyacid.htm

As was stated, similar fatty acid (fat) profiles.

1) That's for the oils, not the actual products themselves. Big difference. Yes, peanut oil is derived from peanuts, but it's not going to have the same numbers because typically peanut oil is also highly refined.

2) You're making an assumption that all mayo is made of soybean oil, which it's not. Also that does not take into account the egg yolk in it either, which will also change the numbers you state.

Please look up both items as stated, not just the oils, and link those numbers.

As I originally stated, most standard store-bought mayos are made with soybean oil (even the so-called "olive oil" ones have soybean oil listed even before the olive oil), hence using that as the base for comparison. Additionally, the ones specifically mentioned here (namely, Hellmann's), are made with soybean oil, as confirmed earlier in the thread. If you made your own mayo and used, say, entirely olive oil, then the fatty acids profile would actually be better than that of peanut butter, because olive oil has far more monounsaturated fats than peanut butter.

But yes, the fatty acid profile will depend pretty much entirely on the oils used to make it, and the aforementioned Hellmann's olive oil mayo will have a little more Oleic Acid than one that only uses soybean oil. The net result of that, however, will make the mayo have an even more similar fatty acid profile to peanut butter.

As for the egg, here's its fatty acid profile of chicken egg yolk (egg white has negligible amounts of fat):

Oleic acid, 47%
    Linoleic acid, 16%
    Palmitoleic acid, 5%
    Linolenic acid, 2%
    Palmitic acid, 23%
    Stearic acid, 4%
    Myristic acid, 1%

All of the recipes I've seen put the oil to egg ratio of mayo at one egg per one cup of oil. Therefore, the yolk might add 1-2% of Palmitic and Oleic acids to the final product and less than that of the rest of the oils.

If you compare the mayo with a peanut butter that includes an oil additive to keep it from separating (such as Natural Jif), then the added Palm Oil adds probably about the same as the egg does to the mayo, given its similar profile to said egg (see my previously-cited source for fatty acid information for the Palm Oil breakdown).

As for the peanut oil -- peanut oil is not necessarily heavily processed and can even be skimmed directly off a batch of natural peanut butter. That said, the extraction process doesn't really change the fatty acid profile of a fat, so the profile for peanut oil is close enough to the same for our purposes.

Here, though, Google provides a nice side-by-side comparison of the two. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a full fatty acid breakdown for peanut butter (probably because it's not just a fat, which is the same reason I went with the primary oils in the common store bought versions of each). You'll see, though, that while the amount of fat is lower in peanut butter (duh), the ratios are still about the same.

Half of 17 = 8.5 (PB has 10g)
    Half of 32 = 16 (PB has 14g)
    Half of 46 = 23 (PB has 24g)

https://www.google.com/search?q=peanut+butter+vs+peanut+oil&oq=peanut+butter+vs+peanut+oil&aqs=chrome..69i57.4872j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

My original point still stands -- the two have similar fatty acid profiles, so if one is "bad," then so is the other. Neither have "healthier" fats than the other. And if you really want to argue which one had "better fats," then the only one of the two that can be changed is the mayo, and you need only make your own (or find one) that uses nothing but olive oil for the fat, and you actually end up with a product that has better fats than the peanut butter.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Mayonnaise and jelly sandwiches suck.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    And yes, PB is considered a healthier fat, and no they do not have similar fat profiles. One is made from oil and eggs and keeps your sandwich bread from drying into croutons in your lunchbox, the other is made from peanuts which has protein and will help fill you up.

by similar fat profile I meant when you look at the nutritional info at the back of pb/mayo. it is the same, infact mayo has better ones (PUFAs are healthier than Sat fats, right?

Saturated fats are not universally or inherently less healthy than polyunsaturated fats (and arguably not inherently unhealthy at all). In fact, our bodies' fat stores are made of roughly 40% saturated fats. And Lauric Acid, the primary fat found in coconut oil, is one of the most beneficial fats in the world, proven to have a number of health benefits, including improving HDL numbers, and it's a saturated fat.

The particular polyunsaturated fats found in both peanut butter and store bought mayo (typically made with soybean oil), are particularly sketchy, because they are almost entirely Omega-6 fat, which can be counterproductive when outweighing Omega-3 as heavily as they do in these products and the standard American/western diet as a whole (Omega-3 and Omega-6 compete for absorption in the body, and we function better the closer we get to a 1:1 ratio between the two).

That said, according to Google's comparison, the saturated fat content is pretty much the same. Where the two differ is monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, though, as I mentioned in the previous post, that can vary based on the oil used in the mayo.

https://www.google.com/search?q=peanut+butter+vs+mayo&oq=peanut+butter+vs+mayo&aqs=chrome..69i57.4397j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Mayo is going to have more fat pretty much by default, because mayo is almost entirely a fat product, where peanut butter is a more even blend of fat, protein, and carbs. As such, the fat values for mayo will be higher, despite a similar number of calories.