Once and for all, is junk food/dessert indulgence ok or not

Options
13»

Replies

• sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I was overweight for a long time. I tried many times to lose weight, but one thing all those times had in common was, whatever way I tried, be it Weight Watchers, Atkins, Slim Fast or anything else (and I'm not knocking those programs), I went SUPER STRICT. Told myself I wasn't going to have anything sweet or junk foody til I lost all my weight. Which happened to be over 100 lbs.

You can guess how that worked out.

When I started using MFP to lose weight, I just tried to eat as healthy as I could, log everything, and the big thing - I allowed myself treats. A free day once a week, plus everyday I leave 200 calories for dessert. My dessert is not "healthy" (although it's not particularly unhealthy either - it has a lot of sugar, but as long as you're not eating that way 24-7, it's not a problem). My dessert is a store brand ice cream sandwich (150 cals) topped with half a tablespoon of cookie butter 50 cals). It's yummy, feels decadent, leaves me satisfied, and fits into my 1200 cals a day.

This is your LIFE. You have to allow for a treat here and there - how often is up to you. Personally I need something sweet everyday - that's just me :)
  • xxflorencexx
    xxflorencexx Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well as long as you keep track of your calories, and eat in small portion, I would say that is fine.
    If you check my food diary, I have a piece of vanilla cake almost everyday. But instead of a whole piece of vanilla cake (which is 64g and 240 calories), I cut it into 3 pieces, so I'll have 1/3 of a cake everyday. Try this instead! :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You're hindering weight loss when you eat too much. I'm not a fan of high-sodium/high added sugar diets as they often result in a myriad of preventable yet costly and destructive health problems. Still, it's your life. As long as an indulgence does not mean at every single meal, then you're probably fine. But, in the end, it's up to you. It's your life. It's your health.

It only hinders weight loss if it adds too many calories to your day. Most costly health problems are avoided simply by losing weight. If you manage your calories and don't get overly dramatic about everything, it will be just fine.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    The simple answer: for weight loss, it's fine. For overall health, only in moderation.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Lol @ how this thread would "once and for all" end the debate. Haw! If it were only that simple. :tongue:

But to answer your question, yes, it is perfectly fine. Just stay within your macro goals.