It's not fair

Options
My husband has been on a health "kick" recently. He's the kind of guy who can eat anything and not gain weight. A few months ago he started P90X on a whim and lost about 20 lbs. About a week or two weeks ago he decided to follow the food plan that goes with it... he's lost 11 pounds! WTF?!?!? I'm sure some of that is water weight, I know, but still... really?!?

I've been struggling to lose 11 lbs for 2 years now and he does it in a week. Why is this so hard for me and so easy for him?

UGH!!!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Men burn more calories, so we can create larger deficits. Also, a lot of that weight was water so it's not uncommon. The bigger questions is, what are your stats and his stats. Big = faster loss rate.

But if you are struggling to lose weight, it's either a logging issue (consistenc/accuracy) or a hormonal/medical issue.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its pretty useless to compare yourself/progress to someone else.

The question you should be asking is what are you doing right, what are you doing wrong, and how can you improve and reach your goals.

Would you like help answering any of those questions?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Its pretty useless to compare yourself/progress to someone else.

The question you should be asking is what are you doing right, what are you doing wrong, and how can you improve and reach your goals.

Would you like help answering any of those questions?

TRUTH!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    My husband has been on a health "kick" recently. He's the kind of guy who can eat anything and not gain weight. A few months ago he started P90X on a whim and lost about 20 lbs. About a week or two weeks ago he decided to follow the food plan that goes with it... he's lost 11 pounds! WTF?!?!? I'm sure some of that is water weight, I know, but still... really?!?

I've been struggling to lose 11 lbs for 2 years now and he does it in a week. Why is this so hard for me and so easy for him?

UGH!!!

He committed and put in the work
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    But if you are struggling to lose weight, it's either a logging issue (consistenc/accuracy) or a hormonal/medical issue.

Yep. If you can't lose 11 pounds in two years. something is wrong somewhere -- user error or medical issue.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Hormones.

Their bodies are designed to be athletic. Our bodies are designed to be nurturing (aka fat).
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Because men are annoying.

Seriously though they tend to have a higher % of muscle in their bodies and muscle burns more calories. If you were the same height/weight/age and did the same exact daily activities - your husband would burn more calories. BUT they also tend to be taller, heavier so that means more still.

I have to work to burn 2000 calories in day. (TDEE) But I've found my rhythm. And by tracking what I eat ( weighing all solid food, honest logging of everything) and making an effort to move more - I have lost weight. I do what I have to do, and its ok that its 'easier' for him. Because we all have our strengths and weaknesses. My strength now is consistency, and he is still working on that. He lost 30 beginning of this year, put 20 back on. Is still trying to get restarted.

Look for ways to motivate each other, and to support each other. If you're in it 'together' it can be easier. Set goals, make them known, hold yourself accountable.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    2 years to lose 11lb?
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    11 pounds in 2 years? It's obvious that you're not trying.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    11 pounds in 2 years... I'd start doing what he's doing rather than looking to commiserate with others here because "us guys have it so much easier."
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Hormones.

Their bodies are designed to be athletic. Our bodies are designed to be nurturing (aka fat).
    :huh: we hold about 7% more bodyfat than men, but this by no means is an excuse to say we are designed to be fat. We are designed to have more essential fat than men, but this is accounted for in body fat goal adjustments between men and women.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Hormones.

:huh: we hold about 7% more bodyfat than men, but this by no means is an excuse to say we are designed to be fat. We are designed to have more essential fat than men, but this is accounted for in body fat goal adjustments between men and women.

I'm not saying that we are designed to be obese. Just explaining why a woman's body doesn't lose fat as fast as a man's.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    11 pounds in 2 years? It's obvious that you're not trying.

Wow! That's kind of unfair. You don't know what's going on with her body. OP, if you find it difficult to lose then perhaps you should talk to your doctor. There are medical explanations for slow weight loss.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Hormones.

I'm not saying that we are designed to be obese. Just explaining why a woman's body doesn't lose fat as fast as a man's.
    Ok I guess if a man and a woman both had 20% bf the man would have more inessential fat than a woman, so have an easer time getting rid of it.

But if you compare a man at 13% and a woman at 20% they would have to put in about the same effort to lose 1% because they both have close to the same inessential bf to lose.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    OP, you need to get serious. He worked harder and ate at a larger deficit. It's that simple. Take the energy that you would otherwise be using complaining and apply that to your goals.

I lose faster than my husband, so it's not a woman thing. He works a desk job and I ride a bike all the time. It's simple thermodynamics.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    OP, you need to get serious. He worked harder and ate at a larger deficit. It's that simple. Take the energy that you would otherwise be using complaining and apply that to your goals.

I lose faster than my husband, so it's not a woman thing. He works a desk job and I ride a bike all the time. It's simple thermodynamics.

That's bro-science!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Did you do P90x and the meal plan with him?

Then you really can't claim its so hard for you and so easy for him. Take responsibility for what you are or are not doing to lose weight, instead of saying someone doing an exercise program and eating a meal plan that cuts calories has it "easy".
  • LovingMe0587
    LovingMe0587 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hear ya! It seems that men seem to lose weight quicker than women for some reason. But I found that the worst thing you can do is compare yourself to anyone when on a weight loss journey!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    OP- - -your husband may have greater success since he isn't whining on social media sites. He just worked out.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

UGH!!!

Were you doing P90X right along side him and following the food plan? If not, why not?