What is running protocol for dogs?

Options

Replies

• fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options

I had something like this happen to me once, but kind of on the other side of it.

My wife, PG at the time and I where walking our new puppy in the park one day. Choc lab, he was about 3 months old and very playful. The park didnt require that dogs to be on leads.

A male jogger ran by and our puppy started to chase him. I called him and started after him, meanwhile the jogger turn around and took a kung fu kick right to my dogs head....of course he went yelping in pain. I was beyond mad..shock. My wife knows me and knows I rarely ever get mad..unless you touch my dog...so she immediately got between us and told the guy, you better run for your life because my husband is about to kick your *kitten*. He did.

I went over to check on my dog and he was ok, but I was really mad, took me hrs to cool down.

Not saying we were in the right...but definately excessive force. Just another side to a story for what it's worth.

If your dog was leashed he wouldn't have gotten the boot. I don't expect anyone else to have to deal with my dog, which is why he's on a leash whenever he's outside.

I run with pepper spray and a CPL fwiw. Never had to use either but better safe than sorry.
    Really? You side with some idiot round house kicking a 3 month old puppy? wow...
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Really? You side with some idiot round house kicking a 3 month old puppy? wow...

Meh, I wasn't there, so who knows what kind of kick it was. At the end of the day, it's a dog owner's job to control their animal. People who don't are the reason pits get a bad rap.
  • kotarea
    kotarea Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have 3 large dogs a pitt, a pitt lab mix and a lab, when I run I run with the mix, so I normally do not have issues, HOWEVER i can relate to being bit, i was bit in the face by my neighbors dog while playing fetch one day and I was terrified for the longest time, even of my own dogs, the best thing that helped me was spending time at an off leash dog park and knowing that not all dogs are mean. there is no such thing as a bad dog there is a BAD OWNER and BAD TRAINING. Now when it comes to a dog running up to you, be as stern and dominant as possible. Dogs are either dominant or submissive, if you prove to be more dominant they will become submissive and leave you alone. (except for the rare occasion) I do not approve of physical harm to animals, minus the occasional spank when they have done something bad.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Where I live the police/dog warden will not do anything.

Get some doggie mace....I have carried it when walking my own dogs.

Don't run or flail but I also don't think kicking a dog is going to help much...if a dog is attacking you and can't get your throat your achilles is the next best thing, don't serve it up on a platter.

Try and find a route that is loose dog free, there are sections in my neighborhood I cannot walk my pups in because of random dogs.
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i don't share your fear of dogs (I have three large dogs). Now, two of my dogs are super friendly to EVERYONE, but the third is a little ....insane? Neurotic? I love her but she's just not nice to people she doesn't know. They are leashed at all times and I try my darndest to make a wide arc around anyone I come across. Now, Harley doesn't bite but she growls and barks and ...well...aint nobody got time fo dat.

As for encountering OTHER peoples dogs? There are no leash laws here (AND I HATE IT) and we have been attacked by two rotties, three yorkies, a lab, and several mutts while out and about.

I. will kick. the living crap. out of your dog.

There is no excuse. I have three-who outweight me by over 60lbs and one is aggressive and yet I can keep my stinking dogs under control. if YOUR dog or a STRAY dog comes at me OR my pets, I will not get DONE beating it.

If a dog is coming at you-be bigger (im 4'8", most labs are bigger than me). Look it in the eye, stand up straight and yell (in a DEEP voice, not squeaky) NO. Bow your shoulders up like a roid-rager if you have to-but whoever backs up first loses. Carry a walking stick, a leash, grab a stick BEFORE the dog comes to you. If saying NO or BACK OFF isn't working, and the dog is still (aggressively, don't hit a friendly dog) approaching-WHOP IT. HARD.

But don't let fear overcome your common sense. is the dog relaxed and saying hello? is it on leash? is it unsure of a stranger and dancing at a distance while barking at you? don't worry about those.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Can I kick your child when it runs up to my leashed dog and pokes it in the eye?
    Has this happened? :huh:

It happens all the time....if I had a dollar for everytime children have run up to my dogs, thrusting their hands at their faces and (then) asking "do they bite" I wouldn't have to work.

I have also had subsequent moms start screaming not to let my dogs attack their kids.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I think the safest thing to do is keep running and act like the dog is not there. My little dog and I were chased by a dog that was acting aggressive the other day on a run, and he gave up when we both just kept on as if nothing was happening. I was so proud of her!!

If the dog is especially aggressive, slow down to a walk but still don't acknowledge it. No eye contact. The worse thing you can do with an aggressive dog is feel fear, which in your situation is probably impossible to do.

Of course, the real answer is that dog owners should not put people in positions where they feel vulnerable, especially in a public place where people run. I have a chow who is the friendliest dog in the world, but some people are afraid of her just because she is a chow. I respect that.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I had something like this happen to me once, but kind of on the other side of it.

My wife, PG at the time and I where walking our new puppy in the park one day. Choc lab, he was about 3 months old and very playful. The park didnt require that dogs to be on leads.

A male jogger ran by and our puppy started to chase him. I called him and started after him, meanwhile the jogger turn around and took a kung fu kick right to my dogs head....of course he went yelping in pain. I was beyond mad..shock. My wife knows me and knows I rarely ever get mad..unless you touch my dog...so she immediately got between us and told the guy, you better run for your life because my husband is about to kick your *kitten*. He did.

I went over to check on my dog and he was ok, but I was really mad, took me hrs to cool down.

Not saying we were in the right...but definately excessive force. Just another side to a story for what it's worth.

Does your puppy chase joggers still? Or do you keep him on a leash and under control now?
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have a lab pit mix. I also have a fence. My dog stays in the fence when I am outside. Otherwise, he is an inside dog. When I walk him, he is on a leash. There have been times that he has gotten loose from the leash. As an owner, I do all that I can to protect my dog and other people.

I am surprised by the disregard for dogs in this thread, starting with posts suggesting that people kick the **** out of dogs (in the 3rd post), to call the pound to have the dogs put down.

I believe that everything is a case by case basis. As both a runner and a dog owner, I am a little surprised. Let's say I go to the lake and a goose chases me and nips me (which is not uncommon at a lake), I'm not so sure that it is going to be acceptable for me to kick a goose in the head. I have never seen anyone kick a goose or duck in the head a lake and they roam free. I know geese ≠ dogs.

Why is it acceptable to kick someone's dog in the head? Why are we advocating on this forum?

As a motorcycle rider, I was instructed to slow down for the dog so that the dog stops chasing the motorcycle. If there is nothing to chase, the dog stops chasing. After slowing, the dog stops chasing. Then I take off leaving the dog behind.

I believe there is a non-violent way to stave off dogs. If a dog attacks a runner, SURE the runner has a right to defend himself/herself. But I would dare anyone to kick my dog in the head just because he's running down the road while you are running down the road... especially when I am only a few steps behind him with a leash in hand.

When I first got my dog, he used to rare up on his hind legs and wrap his front legs around people. He gave hugs. And he would stand there and hug the person as long as the person allowed. I have since trained him not to rare up on me.

How do you keep a dog from raring up on you? When you see the front legs leave the ground, raise your knee. The dog's chest hitting your knee is a deterrent for the dog to rare up on you. He goes right back to the ground.

I seriously doubt I would deal with it very well if I saw a runner kick my dog in the head when I know full well that my dog likes to give hugs. Also, one would want to keep in mind that I am only a few steps behind him with a leash and choker chain.

14541997593_4756d4435f.jpg

Kick him in the head. I dare you.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Cute pup! Now, I understand your POV, but the key thing is that there is no easy way for a runner or cyclist to know what a dog is going to do if it aggressively charges. I don't blame people in this thread who say kick it, since that is probably your strongest natural defense. If the dog gets inside your kick range and bites a limb, or even your neck, what are your going to do? Too late to kick it away then.

Dogs do attack from time to time so the fear isn't unfounded at all.

People are also allowed to defend themselves against other people too; if some stranger suddenly rushes you fists clenched and screaming "I'm going to beat you!" and at the last second planned to just give you a hug, you have every legal right to kick them before they grab you, no? Probably most people would think it a natural and understandable response. Plus, even a hug can be classified as unwanted contact (assault).

People act like dogs should get even better treatment than fellow humans I guess?

I like dogs and I don't ever want to hurt one, but if it bites, the dog and the owners are going to regret it if that happens to me.
  • evsplava
    evsplava Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was walking a dog and there was a much larger dog who was approaching on a leash. I looked back at the dog I was walking and when I did I heard a clink telling me the dog had slipped its collar and was loose. It bit my dog once to pin him down to hump him and I said absolutely not grabbed the dog by the hind legs and dragged it about 10 feet. I had 16 puncture marks in my hand when he wriggled his right leg loose. The owner was mentally challenged and unable to help me separate the two dogs.

The two dogs I had to kick I don't like doing it but we were being attacked. They were smaller dogs who got loose from their owners. My goal is to minimize injuries to both your dog my dog and me.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is that my dog has a right to be in her yard. Unless she gets off our property you better not hurt her in any way...

If you let your kid run up to her without asking, you will be in for ear full because some people dislike dogs and I happen to dislike kids.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I have a lab pit mix. I also have a fence. My dog stays in the fence when I am outside. Otherwise, he is an inside dog. When I walk him, he is on a leash. There have been times that he has gotten loose from the leash. As an owner, I do all that I can to protect my dog and other people.

I am surprised by the disregard for dogs in this thread, starting with posts suggesting that people kick the **** out of dogs (in the 3rd post), to call the pound to have the dogs put down.

I believe that everything is a case by case basis. As both a runner and a dog owner, I am a little surprised. Let's say I go to the lake and a goose chases me and nips me (which is not uncommon at a lake), I'm not so sure that it is going to be acceptable for me to kick a goose in the head. I have never seen anyone kick a goose or duck in the head a lake and they roam free. I know geese ≠ dogs.

Why is it acceptable to kick someone's dog in the head? Why are we advocating on this forum?

As a motorcycle rider, I was instructed to slow down for the dog so that the dog stops chasing the motorcycle. If there is nothing to chase, the dog stops chasing. After slowing, the dog stops chasing. Then I take off leaving the dog behind.

I believe there is a non-violent way to stave off dogs. If a dog attacks a runner, SURE the runner has a right to defend himself/herself. But I would dare anyone to kick my dog in the head just because he's running down the road while you are running down the road... especially when I am only a few steps behind him with a leash in hand.

When I first got my dog, he used to rare up on his hind legs and wrap his front legs around people. He gave hugs. And he would stand there and hug the person as long as the person allowed. I have since trained him not to rare up on me.

How do you keep a dog from raring up on you? When you see the front legs leave the ground, raise your knee. The dog's chest hitting your knee is a deterrent for the dog to rare up on you. He goes right back to the ground.

I seriously doubt I would deal with it very well if I saw a runner kick my dog in the head when I know full well that my dog likes to give hugs. Also, one would want to keep in mind that I am only a few steps behind him with a leash and choker chain.

Lab/Pit mix as an indoor dog? That sounds like animal abuse to me ... unless you have a 20,000 sq ft house, of course.

Especially if you're a "few steps behind with leash in hand"? Well, that means you're not in control of your dog. So I will have to do your job for you. Even if it's in a way you don't approve of...

Dogs don't/can't hug. I dont care how you control your dog when it gets in peoples faces. People have a right to keep your dog out of their face - again, regardless of how you would prefer its done.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I had a dog chase me once. I had my head phones on I heard a barking/growling I turned around and he was right behind me so I stopped and stood perfectly still, until the owner had him restrained even then when I started back running he lunged at me. If you are that worried I would carry pepper spary or some other type of protection and learn how to use it properly, just to keep you at ease. And even when I run and people are wakling their dogs I give them at least a couple of feet of distance just in case. 99 percent of the time the dogs are well behaved and dont even pay me any attention. Just remember If you choose to carry some form of personal protection common sense is still your best weapon. On a similar not you can bring your attack cat with you, not really a funny video but appropiate,.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/may/15/cat-saves-boy-from-dog-attack-video
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is that my dog has a right to be in her yard. Unless she gets off our property you better not hurt her in any way...

If you let your kid run up to her without asking, you will be in for ear full because some people dislike dogs and I happen to dislike kids.

If some one comes knocking on your door in your yard, and your dog attacks and mauls them then a lawyer will have a field day with you. Wheather its on your property or not. Cant say I agree with this but it is the truth. Unless its fenced in and clearly marked beware of ATTACK DOG. Even then its in the grey in regards to the legal aspects. Also depends on the state you live in.
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Keep him off me and I won't have to. Control your dog. Maybe you think it's cute when your dog charges at people and rares up, I don't. I don't need "hugs" from strange animals when I'm out for a run.

I see you trained him not to do it to you anymore. Maybe you can work on training him not to do it to others now.

Or...just keep being another crappy pet owner who expects the rest of the world to cater to your dog. But I'll tell you now, keep it off me or I'll do it for you.

Agreed. I loooove dogs, but I don't get this attitude of "I know my dog is a sweetie, so I expect total strangers to assume that when he's running at them full speed."
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have no desire to kick a dog!! BUT I probably would if I felt like I had to. I'm more afraid to do that because I feel like they'd latch onto my leg!

Haven't read all the replies, so sorry if someone else has already responded, you have made a very good point, kicking/hitting out at the dog, just gives them something to catch onto.
    I would certainly stop running and walk past a dog on a run, they're predators, they chase, it's hard, but don't give them something to chase, ignore them, ask the owner to get it under control.
    The getting a hold of the collar at the front, under the chest, seems like a receipe for disaster to me, no way would I put my face down level with a strange dogs mouth to get a hold of it's collar.
    Dog's it's all about body language, yes slow down to a walk, I would avoid direct eye contact with a dog I didn't know (an aggressive dog will feel you are challenging it), keep walking, shoulders back, you don't really want to try and assert dominance over a strange dog, just be confident (easier said than done I know).
    you said your friend had 4 large dogs, I would try and spend more time with them (maybe not all 4 at once, as that could be intimidating), learn dogs, watch their body language, see if you can learn the difference between a goofball and something that really isn't happy. From a personal point of view, I wouldn't want my kids growing up with a fear of dogs, respect yes, so maybe meet with more reasonably sized dogs.
    Like children, dogs will do as they are taught, if there is no training involved, the dogs have no boudaries and like children, some of them grow up and are friendly, but some grow up and are just downright unpleasant, it's not the dogs fault, but you have to deal with what's been created.
    The spray sounds like the best idea to me, it can be used from your side without having to actually touch the dog, or possibly something like an airhorn might work (again it depends on the dog, what distracts/gets rid of one, another will ignore).
    I run with my dog on isolated trails, however if I see someone coming on foot or bike, I put him back on his lead, he's not allowed to approach people he doesn't know.
    Like you I was attacked by a dog when I was young (spent 3 weeks in hospital because of it), however I had a dog at home and got over it, but I still don't allow dogs near my face, don't like them jumping up at me (it's just rude).

Good luck, meet friendly dogs on a 1-2-1 basis and see if you can get over your fear, that will go a long way to helping you deal with strange dogs.
  • Shtallionchick14
    Shtallionchick14 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You know what solves all of these issues? Tight leashes and fences.

I never have to worry about my dog attacking anyone because she is either in my fenced backyard, on a leash when we are out of the back yard (a 5ft leash that I hold at about 2 ft when others are near) or in my yard. She is the friendliest dog I have ever met, but I understand that some people don't like dogs.

I have encountered loose dogs before on walks with my dog and it drives me nuts. There is just no reason for a dog that is clearly not trained well enough to be off leash, to be off leash. That is pure owner laziness. And I don't want to have to stop my run so you can come catch your out of control dog.

So either leash the dog, or shell out the money for a fence.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It has been over a year since my dog has rared up on anyone. I did train him. Before then, the people that my dog has rared up on is people who came into my house or when people allow THEIR CHILDREN into my fence. Period. In the past, neighborhood children have even let him out of my fence. Children also reach through the fence to pet him.

I read here, though, that approaching someone unwanted is assault. So is it assault on my dog? If I applied the suggestions on how to treat dogs in this thread to people's children, should I kick children when their parents can't or won't control them? I learn something new here every day on MFP so this is awesome new news for me.

Having said all that, my dog has never approached anyone on the street. I stated before that I walk him on a leash. I also stated that there were a couple of times that he got off his leash - this was before we started training. Both times I was a few steps behind him. I quickly caught up to him, leashed him, and returned home.

All suggestions to deter a dog from raring up on runners, and strategies to avoid the situations in my previous post fell on deaf ears. The thread went right back to, "kick dogs" and explanations of why it is okay to kick dogs.

The question OP presented was, "what is running protocol for dogs?"

My answer, in short, was to FIRST deter and avoid the situation, SECOND, defend myself if a dog should attack me. That was the short of my answer. Also fell on deaf ears.

The part where I went on about my dog was where I felt that as a dog owner, runners should not kick my dog out of their own fear. If my dog has not attacked you, then he has done nothing to merit kicking him. That was my point.

I have never been attacked by a dog while running. As stated earlier, I either avoid or deter the situation. I don't go into parts of my neighborhood where there are dogs that I fear and then tell the dog's owners that I will kick the *kitten* out of their dog or call the pound and have the dog put down. That is not my running strategy.

8927455509_6aa293ed19.jpg