Macros on weight-lifting vs. rest days

Options
13»

Replies

• tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Go find out for yourself. Sounds glib, but it's the best answer to 90% of the questions asked on MFP. Try it out, track the data and draw conclusions about you. Works every time.

I know macro timing does not work for me because I have tried it during bulks and cuts. I can draw this conclusion because I have a spreadsheet full of lots of data that I can analyze and draw conclusions.

Try it out and see what happens.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I don't think the problem is your macros...I think its that 3x a week isn't enough.. In order to gain muscle mass as a female I've only been able to do it with consistent weight training...The kind where you push yourself to increase your strength each week. I'm only able to increase in strength with adequate stress on each muscle group AT LEAST 2x a week. If you don't increase in strength, you will never increase in muscle because your body thinks it has plenty of muscle to lift what you're already lifting. I find that I have much better results doing it at least 4-5x a week. I've been lifting for years, and just recently got out of a rut of lifting the same crap over and over again. You really have to put in a lot of effort to build mass
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have been advised from pro bodybuilders and their trainer that I should consume 1-1.5 x body weight in protein, .5-1 x body weight in fat and carbs to build muscle while keeping body fat in check, but more carbs, like 1-1.5, if you are going to be bulking to your GW.

I do what they advise, but I am not a pro, so I unwittingly was carb cycling. And, hey, it works. I look pretty damn good these days. :tongue:

Those numbers work too....
    I know for me, that getting my fats too high, causes me to hold water.
    So I am better in the 0.35 - 0.4 gr / lb of body weight range.

But since I cycle macros.....I have high fat days, and expect the water weight....
    And also now that I am doing a bulk.....
    I am doing at least 1.5 gr of protein, and just a ton of carbs......
    My body seems to better handle carbs

Whatever you are doing, you seem to be doing it right! :)

hmmm....maybe.
    Will see come February.....
    Right now it ain't to much fun...watching my definition fade.
    But hey, has to be done if I want to get bigger

suck it up butter cup- I'm out squatting you- so get your swole on so February you can beast me at squats.

I am trying girl....
    I need you to come down and train my *kitten* for legs.....for sure.

lol- MFP trip!!! LOL

not happening this year- got big plans- but yeah- gotta get your work on!!! I'm hoping to be jumping up in weight essentially next rotation- going much heavier- but we'll see- I need a new lifting plan in a week or two- I'm about done with the one I'm one- I think next week is the last week!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

lol- MFP trip!!! LOL

not happening this year- got big plans- but yeah- gotta get your work on!!! I'm hoping to be jumping up in weight essentially next rotation- going much heavier- but we'll see- I need a new lifting plan in a week or two- I'm about done with the one I'm one- I think next week is the last week!

haha....hell yeah!!!
    I do legs Sunday. :wink:

Trust me, I am really trying.
    One thing I have started doing is to go above my normal weight on squats....I can't go full squat when doing that...
    But then go back down, and have found that allows me to complete the full range better.
    So for example....
    225 is about where I am at with full range....but still tough.
    So I do 275 for a set....I don't make parallel at that....
    But when I go back to 225, I can make the full range better, for controlled reps.

And then also pushing my Deads as much as possible.

Good luck with your goals and whatever plan you choose coming up.
  • lLionMindl
    lLionMindl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I eat less carbs on rest days
    usually 30-40g less
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

So for example....
    But when I go back to 225, I can make the full range better, for controlled reps.

I'm actually really glad to hear you say that you do it that way since I do a similar routine.
  • MityMax96
    Options

So for example....

I'm actually really glad to hear you say that you do it that way since I do a similar routine.

glad I ain't the only one who does it. :laugh: :laugh:

man you got some great calves.....I am jelly :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

and rocking Cons. Sweet!!!!
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    For me...my macros stay the same on lifting days versus non lifting days with one exception. I add more carbs to my post workout meal (an additional cup of white rice with honey). I am on a clean bulk schedule with six meals per day.
  • jphuffm
    Options
    It's important to have carbs on lifting days to ensure that as your body recovers, it doesn't consume muscle and instead consumes the carbs (fuel) that you ingested.

On off days, while you are technically still recovering, it's estimated that you've already given it the fuel to do that and that it's still just 'going through the process'.

As others have mentioned, that's somewhat opinion, in that, there hasn't been an official study on it. I have professional athlete friends who carb cycle, I am doing it on my journey that I've just started and I feel great about it.

Summary: Not much benefit from carbs on rest days, might as well not use them and instead focus more on protein.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I do TDEE and eat about 50g more carbs on lifting days than rest days. I work out at 5:30 am and have a bulletproof coffee with maple syrup and butter (yes its amazing!) pre gym and some carbs and protein post gym. This week its been either melon with cottage cheese or a glass of apple cider and cottage cheese after workout. Then have a normal breakfast at around 8:30. So I have my macro goals set for my lifting days and consistently get 150g of protein everyday. Gym days the carbs are 180 fat 75 protein 150. Rest days are 130 - 90. -150.
    Its funny because when I first looked into carb cycling I was like ugh! This is too confusing. But once I started making sure to have the pre workout fat/carbs and post workout carbs/protein my macros naturally shifted this way and I was like oh look I think I'm carb cycling :).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

lol- MFP trip!!! LOL

haha....hell yeah!!!

One thing I have started doing is to go above my normal weight on squats....I can't go full squat when doing that...
    But then go back down, and have found that allows me to complete the full range better.
    So for example....

TOTALLY!!!
    My full 100% comfortable range is right at the 200 mark. I can usually get out my 5 x 3 or 6 x 2 or whatever rep sets around THAT range just fine- upwards of 225 I can hit depth- but it isn't pretty- I hit 235- but it wasn't pretty either.

Last year-I struggled for a long time around the 180 range- and one of the things we did to help break it was putting up bigger weights and going down as far as I felt I could and then coming back up- most of the time it wasn't a legal squat- but it got me more comfortable with heavier weight on my back and that feeling of hitting a certain space and driving up out of it.

It's not ideal- bu tit DOES work.
  • MityMax96
    Options

lol- MFP trip!!! LOL

haha....hell yeah!!!

So for example....

TOTALLY!!!
    My full 100% comfortable range is right at the 200 mark. I can usually get out my 5 x 3 or 6 x 2 or whatever rep sets around THAT range just fine- upwards of 225 I can hit depth- but it isn't pretty- I hit 235- but it wasn't pretty either.

Last year-I struggled for a long time around the 180 range- and one of the things we did to help break it was putting up bigger weights and going down as far as I felt I could and then coming back up- most of the time it wasn't a legal squat- but it got me more comfortable with heavier weight on my back and that feeling of hitting a certain space and driving up out of it.

It's not ideal- bu tit DOES work.

Exactly.
    Doing that has definitely helped me a lot....

I guess the whole mental game more than anything.....
    So I find out what ever trick my work for me and do it.....

Pretty much what I did w/ chin ups.....and paid off.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It's important to have carbs on lifting days to ensure that as your body recovers, it doesn't consume muscle and instead consumes the carbs (fuel) that you ingested.

On off days, while you are technically still recovering, it's estimated that you've already given it the fuel to do that and that it's still just 'going through the process'.

As others have mentioned, that's somewhat opinion, in that, there hasn't been an official study on it. I have professional athlete friends who carb cycle, I am doing it on my journey that I've just started and I feel great about it.

Summary: Not much benefit from carbs on rest days, might as well not use them and instead focus more on protein.

Carbohydrates are important on both training and non-training days. To say that there isn't much benefit to carbs on rest days is to ignore the science behind muscle recovery and growth. Depending on the session and muscles trained, recovery can take place immediately i.e. during the training bout itself, but can also span 24-48 hours. Acutal muscle hypertrophy (growth), occurs over weeks or months of resistance training, not the same day. Studies show that a carbohydrate and protein meal enhance mTOR activation to a greater degree than just protein alone, thereby playing a more significant role in muscle protein synthesis. Since we all know MPS is heightened over a 24 hour period (or longer) after resistance training, focusing on protein alone on rest days isn't optimal.

As @Sidesteel mentioned, there isn't significant data for or against carb cycling around training. I also believe its personal preference and depends on an individuals goals. However, carb cycling shouldn't inhibit performance or recovery. Fuel for a training session isn't only consumed hours before the session.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

So for example....

Converse everyday :) Do they make other shoes? I wasn't aware...
  • MityMax96
    Options

So for example....

Converse everyday :) Do they make other shoes? I wasn't aware...

lucky
    I am very pronated...so when I do deads or lower body, I HAVE to wear tennis shoes.....at times I have to use my orthotic to support my foot/ankle
    If not my ankles and knees hurt the next few days.

But I guess on upper body days I can do my Cons.