Is weight lifting 4 weight loss becoming the new Myth?

Options

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Honestly I diet for weight loss. I do body weight for fitness and I kinda enjoy the whole jelly limbs feeling it makes me feel like I'm doing something, note it takes 4 miles of any kind of cardio to feel this. I don't do cardio because frankly I don't enjoy feeling like I'm about to have an asthma attack. This doesn't mean that given access to an elliptical and a tv I wont break out the inhaler, find my favorite afternoon program, and proceed to do my thing for next 30 min to an hour, so long as it isn't a strength day my legs would hate me otherwise.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think a few people are being unnecessarily defensive and assuming the OP made an across the board assault on weight lifting. Especially some who said they didn't even read it.

Well, someone in this thread didn't read it ...
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I think a few people are being unnecessarily defensive and assuming the OP made an across the board assault on weight lifting. Especially some who said they didn't even read it.

I think the question the OP asked is a legitimate one. Is lifting for loss the new 'myth'? You don't need to be a fitness expert or a long time lifter or have a lot of weight loss to have your ear to the ground on this. In fact, those new to changes to diet and exercise may hear it more often as people are constantly trying to give them advice. And as somebody said the other day, come January all the beliefs will come flooding in.

And if there's one thing nearly everyone on MFP can agree on, its that there is a LOT of bad advice out there.

So as I read the question, and a few of the sentences, I heard your question. Is this the new rage in diet advice: lift and you'll be skinny? Fair question, allowing people to chime in whether or not they keep hearing this. But, OP, you lost me, and clearly many others, through the rest. Your question got lost and muddied in a long statement that lifting is not good for weight loss. Why ask one question if you're only going to answer a different question?

The problem with that analysis is that I don't know anyone saying "lift and you'll be skinny" or even "lift weight because it burns all teh caloriez!" For the OP to have a point that such a statement is a myth, people would have to actually be making such statements in the first place. I know a lot of people that advocate lifting weights as part of weight loss; I don't know anyone who distills it down to such a basic level as "lift and you'll be skinny" or "lift and you will lose weight." Rather, in pretty much every place I've seen people give advice to lift weights, they explain that weight lifting aids in achieving a favorable body composition while dieting (this is well known and not a myth) and some mention that it's nice to be strong and confident (two other nice side-effects of weight lifting). There's no myth present when the advice to lift weights is qualified in this fashion.

Not to mention, some of the strongest men on this planet are also pretty fat.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You have been a member a month and suddenly your the expert. My advice is to get ofvthe internet and hit the road doing your cardio. Leave others to their own methods.:flowerforyou:

Um. Read his profile. He's lost more than 100lb. You... ?

That doesn't mean he did it the best/most efficient way. It means he found something that he could stick to, which is great, but maybe he could have been a lower BF% at this weight had he lifted the whole time.

Whenever one of the "regulars" gives advice to a newbie, you often hear "look at my ticker" or "it worked for me," with the implication being that their wisdom is self-evident.

When a poster mentions something counter to the "community," and someone else discusses his achievement, you get "oh, well he probably didn't lose it the right way."

I love this place.
  • shexy16
    Options
    If weight lifting is the magic answer, I'm totally screwed and will be fat forever. I absolutely loathe the idea of lifting weights. Oh, well.
  • shexy16
    Options
    If weight lifting is the magic answer, I'm totally screwed and will be fat forever. I absolutely loathe the idea of lifting weights. Oh, well.

No.

All that is need to lose weight is a caloric deficit.

(I should have inserted the sarcasm font...lol)
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    GenesiaElizabeth Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    "Is weight lifting 4 weight loss becoming the new Myth?"

No, it is not a myth. It is fact. Strength training & deficit = weight loss (yes, without cardio).

Didn't read further, just wanted to answer the OP question... I can see this thread being a never ending worm hole of frustration if that is what people really think. Lol
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You have been a member a month and suddenly your the expert. My advice is to get ofvthe internet and hit the road doing your cardio. Leave others to their own methods.:flowerforyou:

Um. Read his profile. He's lost more than 100lb. You... ?

That doesn't mean he did it the best/most efficient way. It means he found something that he could stick to, which is great, but maybe he could have been a lower BF% at this weight had he lifted the whole time.

Whenever one of the "regulars" gives advice to a newbie, you often hear "look at my ticker" or "it worked for me," with the implication being that their wisdom is self-evident.

When a poster mentions something counter to the "community," and someone else discusses his achievement, you get "oh, well he probably didn't lose it the right way."

I love this place.

And if a regular tells you to listen to him simply because of his ticker, you should call him out on practicing broscience as much as a forum newbie who claims he's right simply because he's had weight loss success in the past.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

No, it is not a myth. It is fact. Strength training & deficit = weight loss (yes, without cardio).

Didn't read further, just wanted to answer the OP question... I can see this thread being a never ending worm hole of frustration if that is what people really think. Lol

Yes...in the same way that hopping on one foot & deficit + weight loss (yes without strength training).

The only thing that causes weight loss is being at a deficit. Any form of exercise...movement...activity is only an aid in this.

The type of exercise that we do should be selected to achieve what our goals are. If you want mobility...walk...run...hop...whatever it takes to keep you moving. If you want to be able to pick things up...move things around...then pick up things that will keep you strong.

If all you want to do is lose weight...well...just eat at a deficit.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

I think the question the OP asked is a legitimate one. Is lifting for loss the new 'myth'? You don't need to be a fitness expert or a long time lifter or have a lot of weight loss to have your ear to the ground on this. In fact, those new to changes to diet and exercise may hear it more often as people are constantly trying to give them advice. And as somebody said the other day, come January all the beliefs will come flooding in.

And if there's one thing nearly everyone on MFP can agree on, its that there is a LOT of bad advice out there.

So as I read the question, and a few of the sentences, I heard your question. Is this the new rage in diet advice: lift and you'll be skinny? Fair question, allowing people to chime in whether or not they keep hearing this. But, OP, you lost me, and clearly many others, through the rest. Your question got lost and muddied in a long statement that lifting is not good for weight loss. Why ask one question if you're only going to answer a different question?

The problem with that analysis is that I don't know anyone saying "lift and you'll be skinny" or even "lift weight because it burns all teh caloriez!" For the OP to have a point that such a statement is a myth, people would have to actually be making such statements in the first place. I know a lot of people that advocate lifting weights as part of weight loss; I don't know anyone who distills it down to such a basic level as "lift and you'll be skinny" or "lift and you will lose weight." Rather, in pretty much every place I've seen people give advice to lift weights, they explain that weight lifting aids in achieving a favorable body composition while dieting (this is well known and not a myth) and some mention that it's nice to be strong and confident (two other nice side-effects of weight lifting). There's no myth present when the advice to lift weights is qualified in this fashion.

I think you're proving my point. If the OP stayed on target with his question, we could figure out if such advice is a/the new myth. You've just provided a valuable data point. You don't know anyone advocating that kind of result. If you've never heard anyone advocating that lifting alone will be the key to weight loss, then there are likely also others who have never heard such things. And so your answer could have been, "hardly the myth, I've never heard anyone say such a ridiculous thing; rather, I've heard people give qualified advice as to the specific benefits of lifting for other reasons." Or at least that could have been the question and answer. Until the OP went all kinds of school teacher in the rest of his ramble....

I personally have heard it, and with some frequency. "All you need to do is lift really heavy- get your muscles warmed up and they will burn massive (!!) calories all day long well after you are done, more than anybody could eat."

When you start a lifestyle change and others know about it, there can be so much bad advice given. Many of us have received a lot of it. I have seen the advice given out in forums as well, though I've also seen it quickly dismantled by people with a better understanding of caloric effect. And so I could have contributed, "I think the myth exists, some people believe it and they spread it. But I don't know how prevalent it is. It is certainly not the most common myth I've heard, so I wouldn't call it the new big Myth."

My point is that if the OP had framed it better, it was a straight-forward question and could have been a poll or discussion about how many people have heard others advising such a thing. Instead, his lengthy post didn't really focus on that as a question, but rather went on about other things.
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    GenesiaElizabeth Posts: 227 Member
    Options

Yes...in the same way that hopping on one foot & deficit + weight loss (yes without strength training).

The only thing that causes weight loss is being at a deficit. Any form of exercise...movement...activity is only an aid in this.

The type of exercise that we do should be selected to achieve what our goals are. If you want mobility...walk...run...hop...whatever it takes to keep you moving. If you want to be able to pick things up...move things around...then pick up things that will keep you strong.

If all you want to do is lose weight...well...just eat at a deficit.

... But he didn't say "Is hopping on one foot 4 weight loss becoming the new Myth?". I just answered his question, although you are 100% correct also. :happy:
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Darnit, I really hate weight lifting. But I will concede it is necessary LOL
    I just find it so boring and tedious...I don't know why...I prefer the "high,' and elevated heart rate of cardio exercise.
    So, do I really have to join a gym now, or is doing P90X and body weight exercises enough??
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I like a good balance. I eat at a deficit to lose weight. I do cardio to burn calories and increase that deficit as well as make my body stronger. I lift weight to make sure that any weight I'm losing is fat and not muscle and to make my body stronger. I don't want to just be slimmer I want to be STRONGER and lifting weights really helps with both.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of people who do tons of cardio, they are skinny, look like they are malnourished, most complain of joint pain, and you flat out would not even associated them with health and fitness passing them on the street. If I wanted to look like I don't exercise or was health minded I would do tons of cardio, fact of the matter is I did minimal cardio dropping 115 pounds in a year, because I weight train. But do whatever you want to do, I choose to be the strongest version of myself, not the lightest weakest version of myself.

Yeah, 'cause if I passed Paula Radcliffe or Mo Farah in the street, my first thought, looking at their bodies, would be that they have no association with fitness.

Same as those people I saw doing an iron man when I was walking up Ben Nevis. They had swam 3 miles in the Forth Estuary, cycled 150 miles and then ran up Ben Nevis and back down again. They looked like ghosts, they did. So frail and weak.

I'm not adverse to weight lifting, I do it myself, but what a deeply stupid thing to say.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

I think you're proving my point. If the OP stayed on target with his question, we could figure out if such advice is a/the new myth. You've just provided a valuable data point. You don't know anyone advocating that kind of result. If you've never heard anyone advocating that lifting alone will be the key to weight loss, then there are likely also others who have never heard such things. And so your answer could have been, "hardly the myth, I've never heard anyone say such a ridiculous thing; rather, I've heard people give qualified advice as to the specific benefits of lifting for other reasons." Or at least that could have been the question and answer. Until the OP went all kinds of school teacher in the rest of his ramble....

I personally have heard it, and with some frequency. "All you need to do is lift really heavy- get your muscles warmed up and they will burn massive (!!) calories all day long well after you are done, more than anybody could eat."

When you start a lifestyle change and others know about it, there can be so much bad advice given. Many of us have received a lot of it. I have seen the advice given out in forums as well, though I've also seen it quickly dismantled by people with a better understanding of caloric effect. And so I could have contributed, "I think the myth exists, some people believe it and they spread it. But I don't know how prevalent it is. It is certainly not the most common myth I've heard, so I wouldn't call it the new big Myth."

My point is that if the OP had framed it better, it was a straight-forward question and could have been a poll or discussion about how many people have heard others advising such a thing. Instead, his lengthy post didn't really focus on that as a question, but rather went on about other things.
    You have seen someone say lifting burns more cals than anyone could eat? Was it on this site? Do you have a link, because that need so be refuted with great conviction!
  • mariaparag
    Options
    Hi my name is Maria, a friend of mine send me this video..Do u think it may help?
    http://tinyurl.com/lmtk53m
    thanks
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Anyway, we can lift weights while maintaining weight, gaining weight or losing weight...... but if we're in a deficit we will lose weight regardless of what we do...not that complicated really.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You are over-complicating this way too much. To lose weight, you figure out what your approximate daily calorie needs are, and you eat less than that or use exercise to get below that daily calorie need number should it be needed. It is that simple.

If you desire to build muscle you MUST be in a caloric surplus. No more than 300 calories over your daily needs, any more will just be stored as fat deposits.

If you do all your weight loss doing strictly cardio, you are going to have the body of an emaciated 12 year old when you get done losing all the fat, not to mention the functional strength level of your upper body will be pitiful.

Muscle fills out your frame and weight lifting generally makes you healthier. You will have increased bone density, reduced chance of injury because muscle helps absorb damage and shock to your joints and ligaments, and not to mention no risk of repetitive motion injuries you get doing hours of boring cardio work.

Your workouts should consist of a mix of cardio and weights. Cardio keeps your lungs healthy and builds aerobic stamina, weights build strength, anerobic stamina, and help you look better.
  • mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I weight train and while I'm working out I am also getting a great cardiovascular work-out as well. I minimize my rest times and do a circuit style workout so while one part is resting, I am working on another body part. I'm telling you my heart is pumping as fast and hard as when I'm on the treadmill. Just sayin', it's possible to get both at once.