Options
13»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    da mensies really that debilitating?

I suspect many people over play it. Some people really truly do have debilitating cramps - I was mid workout and wound up on the bathroom floor of the gym once b/c I couldn't stand... lasted about 10 min of gut wrenching rolling pain waves- and I got back up and finished the workout.

Some people really cannot get off the floor- but I'd say that's a smaller percentage of people compared to the people who just get mildly uncomfortable and use it as an excuse to not do sh1t.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I've worked out with tampons without any problems but I also think menstrual cups are much better! It takes a little practice but I think they're the least gross option actually (besides other advantages such as no risk of TSS, less trash, no drying out etc.). I also find the cup more comfortable than tampons, especially when working out (and much more so than pads which I hate personally). I've even gone swimming with it.
  • ladyastolat
    Options
    The vitriol some people have expressed at this question is quite upsetting. It took me until I was nearly 30 years old to figure out that women just do not have identical menstrual cycles. Some women can just "put a tampon in and go" and live like it's any other day, some of us just simply can't. The miracle of Google is the only reason found out I have abnormal periods. No doctor I'd ever been to ever expressed that my periods were anything but normal.

TMI AHEAD: Mine last 7-9 days, are generally very heavy with frequent clots ranging in size from about 2" in diameter to the size of the palm of my hand. Tampons do not work for me, neither does the menstrual cup. I have to wear overnight pads the entire time and I need to always have immediate access to a bathroom when I need it. If I pass a large clot, with it comes a gush of blood that even an overnight pad with wings can't absorb and I *will* bleed around the pad, and through my pants. When I leave the house I have to keep a towel in my car seat and an extra change of clothes because when I get to my destination, even on a short drive, there's a pretty good chance I will immediately have to find a bathroom and change. My period also brings with it massive fatigue that makes it hard to get out of bed and makes it hard to concentrate. And the cramps? Sometimes I get a break and taking unhealthy amounts of OTC pain meds will dull it enough that I can function, sometimes I have to curl up with a heating pad and pray for death. Heaven help me on the days I have no choice but to go to work in that much pain. I'm another one of those for whom exercise seems to exacerbate things. I can go for walks towards the end of my period, but I still need to be certain that I take an extra change of pants and not stray too far from a bathroom. Swimming is completely off the table. In the past I've used birth control pills with mixed results. Typically the pill will give me great, "normal" periods for a few months before they slowly revert to what I've been used to my whole life. My period is not an "excuse" for me to not do things. It legitimately holds me back, even from spending time with my friends and family doing fun things like watching movies or going out to dinner. What I wouldn't do to be able to afford a hysterectomy.

To the OP: You'll just need to try some things and see what works for you. If you feel your periods might be too heavy to allow you to work out then look for a good GYN in your area who might listen to you and make an appointment if you can afford it and see if they have any options. If none of that works out for you, you may just have to accept that your workout activity may have to be very light or nonexistent for a few days. :(
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I'm grateful I don't get a period anymore.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    aww no I didnt miss your point, that was just my reaction to your point :)

Along with the archiving of all these backwards mindsets, the younger generations just never bought into a lot of that klunk, and the only way it can even reach them is if people keep perpetuating it. So it's a great thing that people keep debunking this stuff.

And to add: those who don't remember the past....

so yes, archiving, but remembering. We've come a long way baby.

Yeah... I remember my mom telling me a list of foods to avoid during TOM, couldn't exercise, couldn't shower... like ew. Like no. :noway:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Kikiers wrote: »
    Hello!
    So I'm just starting to work out more often. I usually run two miles and do some cycling and some arm workouts. For the first time since ive started working out, I've started my period. Might seem like a silly thing to ask but what do you girls do? I haven't had to run or workout with a period since my sophomore year. I just finished high school this year, so its been a couple years. I don't get pain like most people that isn't my problem, But Isn't it uncomfortable to run or excersise with pads? and if you use tampons is that uncomfortable? I use them, but i worry about it leaking so I wear a pad as well. (yes i change them often) What do you girls do during your periods? Thanks.:ohwell: :blushing:

I am not a runner but most exercise I do doesn't change during my period. I generally only get cramps or feel yucky one day and the rest is really mild. I use pads and don't find them uncomfortable. I did notice that doing pilates during my period seemed to make the flow much heavier and I had leakage where I didn't with other exercises. It wasn't painful just messier than normal. So I don't do pilates that week.

I would say just do the exercise you feel up to doing. If you think it causes problems for you just dial back to walking for a couple of days.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Uggh. Whoever tells a woman to "man up" during their period has never experienced just how bad it can be for some women out there. Whether you want to exercise on your period or not is entirely up to you and how you personally feel on those days. Not exercising on your period says nothing about you except that you just prefer not to. That is all.

As a sufferer of PMDD on top of intense headaches and throwing up on my period, I can tell ya right now NOT ALL PERIODS ARE CREATED EQUAL. Some periods I am able to exercise everyday, some I can't. Then sometimes I can exercise while I'm actually on my period but I can't during the week beforehand.

Just do what you're comfortable doing.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yay, finally a chance to "advertise" for the menstrual cup! A game changer. I won't get more advertising than that, you have to google it... I use a Femmecup now, but I have also bought some other brands.

I like menstrual cups, myself. I used to have a heavy period before switching to the Mirena, and it was nice to be able to work out confidently knowing I wouldn't have a leak.

*wrygrin* Then again, I can't think of a better way to chase the overmacho curlers away from the squat rack, so maybe I didn't make a great choice *snerk*

• JoRocka
    Options
    The vitriol some people have expressed at this question is quite upsetting.

After you spend years fighting for equality and trying to prove you can stand on the same ground- to have to listen to women ask about functioning around a bodily function they deal with monthly for decades can be a little.... exasperating.

You cannot be equal if you expect special dispensation.

Yes- I agree- not all periods are made equal. But it's not an excuse. Deal with it and live your life. You have found a way to keep moving forward- in your own way- around your own circumstances. I think that's all anyone expects people to do.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Tampons and a pad work fine for me, but I do find I discharge more during exercise than just sitting around. I've actually found that the Diva Cup and a panty liner can do wonders, but the Diva Cup might not be a favourite for everyone. I just make sure to clean it before and after so that leak potential is minimal.

Diva Cups are pretty good... I prefer tampons but since I've invested in the cup already, I'm not going back. I find the only hassle with the cup is that I think my flow is heavier than most people who've recommended it to me. I can't make it through the work day for the first 3 days without changing which is not good (or even possible) when there is no private bathroom. But I found one! I finally found one! All is right with the world. It also takes me longer in the bathroom, so that's annoying.

But the nerd in me thinks it's neat that I know how many milliliters I bleed out every 12 hours or so during my TOM hahahaha. It's more than I thought!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Yay, finally a chance to "advertise" for the menstrual cup! A game changer. I won't get more advertising than that, you have to google it... I use a Femmecup now, but I have also bought some other brands.

Oh same thing I said. Coolz.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Tampons and a pad work fine for me, but I do find I discharge more during exercise than just sitting around. I've actually found that the Diva Cup and a panty liner can do wonders, but the Diva Cup might not be a favourite for everyone. I just make sure to clean it before and after so that leak potential is minimal.

Diva Cups are pretty good... I prefer tampons but since I've invested in the cup already, I'm not going back. I find the only hassle with the cup is that I think my flow is heavier than most people who've recommended it to me. I can't make it through the work day for the first 3 days without changing which is not good (or even possible) when there is no private bathroom. But I found one! I finally found one! All is right with the world. It also takes me longer in the bathroom, so that's annoying.

But the nerd in me thinks it's neat that I know how many milliliters I bleed out every 12 hours or so during my TOM hahahaha. It's more than I thought!

when I first heard about these cups- I was working construction- which meant portapotties- and even if I had my own "female" stall (which was a gamble on every job site or if we had a bathroom at all)- there was no way in hades I was changing a cup in a porta potty. Forget it- so I think I got put off of them initially- I'm trying to talk myself into one- mostly b/c it saves money- but I haven't worked up to it yet- and I also have no idea for size reference- b/c I know the different brands are different sizes- but I mean- how does one gauge that LOL
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I just use a tampon... Why would that be uncomfortable? If you insert it properly, you shouldn't be able to feel it being there, whether you're running or lounging around. And add a (thin) pad if you're worried, why would it keep you from running or cycling? You'll be fine :)

Btw, perhaps if it's a marathon or hours long exercise it would be problematic, but if you work out 30-60 minutes, you should be perfectly fine.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm with Stef on this one....

Has your menstrual cycle ever stopped you doing anything else? Going to work/school/out with friends/partying the night away? Probably not.
    Exercise is just as important and should be included to your normal activities of daily living just like all the others...

Tampax in, man up :)

Many women with severe periods might miss these things. Some periods are so heavy, painful, or fatiguing. It's not about women or men being stronger. A lot of women can build it into their lives, but if men developed terrible migraines for a week a month, should they just get used to it and work it into their daily lives? Pain is pain, doesn't matter the source if it's bad enough. If men got periods, there'd be some who wouldn't be able to work out too.