Just need to vent

Options
So, I haven't posted in any forum in years. But I just have to vent today. I lost about 40 pounds over the course of 2 years using mfp. I got pregnant and gained about 30 back (which was kind of necessary ;) ). My son is 15 months old, and I weigh as much as I did when he was born. Lately, we have been eating less and eating healthier, but there has been no change in the scale or how I look. This summer, I took up running.....no change. How can one run 3 times a week and not see a change??? So, I quit.

I feel so fat and yucky, and I don't even feel like I want to continue anymore. It's like nothing changes. I don't want to count calories, because we have been trying to eat better foods, which means no low fat junk filled with bad things. I don't do low fat, so I eat less. I just needed to express this in writing. If running doesn't make a difference, why even bother.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Exercise always makes a difference, even if you don't see it. Overweight people who exercise are generally healthier than overweight people who don't (statistically speaking).

The type of food you eat and the amount of exercise you do won't cause weight loss unless you are in a calorie deficit. It's quite possible to become overweight while eating "healthy foods" and exercising regularly. Healthy foods have calories too.

Also, how long did you give these changes. It can take a few weeks for some people to see changes after a change in diet and/or exercise. I don't know why some see it quickly and other don't. Genetics, I suppose.

But, if you really feel you are in a deficit, and you've given your body sufficient time to adjust, and you are not losing weight, I'd suggest seeing a doctor to check for medical conditions that affect weight loss.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So many things you "don't want to do"

Good luck.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Could it be you grab every excuse you can find.....to stop eating healthy,give up on losing,giving up on exercise?

I have been there & done that too many times to count. Now I'm one of the slowest losers there is. In over a yr on MFP

It's not just wt lost.I have learned so much & still learning what works for me. Getting fatter isn't in the cards.

Sure wish I had stayed with a diet many yrs ago,but didn't. Right now is my time to eat better,walk more & see where it takes me.

Remember,there is no such thing as cutting back for a few wks to lose wt. Read the boards, forget the scales. I weigh in once a mo.,Think it thru. Find what is the way to go for you.

Good luck......you can do it. Pat
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Why even bother?

To create a healthy cardiovascular system so you live longer maybe? Dieting is fine but it does little to improve heart health and I assume you want to see your son grow up? Half of strokes could be prevented with exercise.

Harsh, but true.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    So, I haven't posted in any forum in years. But I just have to vent today. I lost about 40 pounds over the course of 2 years using mfp. I got pregnant and gained about 30 back (which was kind of necessary ;) ). My son is 15 months old, and I weigh as much as I did when he was born. Lately, we have been eating less and eating healthier, but there has been no change in the scale or how I look. This summer, I took up running.....no change. How can one run 3 times a week and not see a change??? So, I quit.

I feel so fat and yucky, and I don't even feel like I want to continue anymore. It's like nothing changes. I don't want to count calories, because we have been trying to eat better foods, which means no low fat junk filled with bad things. I don't do low fat, so I eat less. I just needed to express this in writing. If running doesn't make a difference, why even bother.

So you're not ready, but that's okay. One day you will be and you'll realize that it takes persistence and hard work. It doesn't just happen.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Why even bother?

To create a healthy cardiovascular system so you live longer maybe? Dieting is fine but it does little to improve heart health and I assume you want to see your son grow up? Half of strokes could be prevented with exercise.

Harsh, but true.

This >> "Dieting is fine but it does little to improve heart health", is not true for those who carry a lot of extra weight. If you are obese or very overweight, there is little you can do, other than quit smoking, that will improve your overall healthy more than getting to a healthy weight.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    This will always be your choice.

It's hard work counting calories.

It's hard work training with consistency.

It's impossibly hard to change bad habits.

It's unlikely you will be successful until you change your mindset.

Our health is our ultimate choice - when you want it badly enough - you will do the work to make it happen. :flowerforyou:
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    COUNT YOUR CALORIES!!! If you aren't seeing results then the problem is likely that you are not in a deficit. If you don't count your calories then you will never know. Try writing down everything you eat in one day. Including gum, mints or little candies. If it goes in your mouth write it down. At the end of the day log all of what you ate into MFP. Perhaps you will see that you have been eating more than you thought. Or on the flipside, you may not be eating enough to sustain weight loss and your body won't let go of fat if you don't fuel it, not for long anyways.
    Also, any type of exercise can mess with the scale. Give it some time and take measurement to track your progress instead of relying on the scale. I have lost 37 pounds and I don't see much of a difference yet...it takes time.
    Best of luck.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Without measuring what you are eating it is more than likely you are eating more than you think, I know you don't want to but I would suggest counting cals for a few weeks - every little thing that goes in your mouth weighed measured and logged - then you can see exactly where you are going wrong.
  • jessnic90
    Options
    Yes there are so many things I want to do and one will to break up with my loser boyfriend when I get home I been on here all nite reading what he has to say theresamichelle here is Michelle to bad I knew it was u once u said u were going on matience tom
  • lad323
    lad323 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I was 5 lbs from my goal weight and I got pregnant. While nursing I got back to 10 lbs over goal weight. Life got in the way and next thing you know, I gained more weight. So I’m up 15 lbs or more. I’m sick of logging and measuring and ready to admit defeat but then I have to remind myself why I am doing this… It’s not to be pretty it’s to be healthier. There are benefits to exercising that have nothing to do with weight loss. Having more energy, living longer and avoiding serious illness like diabetes and osteoporosis is why I want to do this. SO if I am doomed to be at this weight but can be fitter and chase after my little ones then I just need to keep going. Keep going, keep running, and think about your health not the scale.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yes there are so many things I want to do and one will to break up with my loser boyfriend when I get home I been on here all nite reading what he has to say theresamichelle here is Michelle to bad I knew it was u once u said u were going on matience tom

Huh? Has someone had a little too much to drink?
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're not ready yet, really. You may feel fat and gross, but until you're motivated enough to change that, you will continue on the same path. Stop saying "I don't want to" and you'll go a long way.

Also, are you weighing your food and making *sure* that "eating less" also means meeting your calories and macros? This weight loss thing can be kind of a science. Not a challenging one, usually, but you'll have to play with your numbers until you find what works for you.
  • srslybritt
    Options

whaaaa.gif
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    so, you're just here to tell us how you're ready to fail?

when you're ready to make the changes you need to make, you will.

until then, enjoy not doing things that will have a positive effect on your existence.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

WTF???? :noway:

OP - it really sounds like you're not ready yet. Which is fine. Hopefully you'll come back and start logging your calories and weighing and measuring your food.

We'll be here if you need help and advice.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you're falling into a common trap-- you're running so you're eating more, and you're not logging so you don't realize it.

Honestly it doesn't sound like you're ready. That's okay. When you are ready, MFP will still be here.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you have to eat at a deficit.

To eat at a deficit you have to know how much you are eating.

To know how much you are eating you have to weigh and measure everything you eat.

When you are ready you will do those things…It's okay that you aren't ready now, when you are you'll know…and when you are follow this link for a lot of helpful info.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1455850-new-here-have-questions-this-may-help
  • dianergorsline
    Options
    Sounds like you are really discouraged. I feel for you.

Maybe see your doctor -- sometimes the weight can be caused by something else, like a side-effect of a medication, a a physical condition. And maybe he/she can give you a better idea about what is going on.

Take care.
  • srslybritt
    Options
    OP, we might be better able to help you if we have stats. Height/weight/age/daily intake goals/activity level (we already know you run but what else do you do?), etc.

Also, use this: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/