Just need to vent

Options

Replies

• thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    And you wanna know WHY YOU SHOULD BOTHER??

Because your son will be left without a mother.

Because it SUCKS not having a parent around because they passed away due to obesity related issues. I am 26 years old and lost my Dad last year because he couldn't "bother" to try.

Think about it.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    And you seem like a nice person. I don't want to count calories because there is so much more to being healthy than how many calories you eat. Haven't you learned- if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Guess I will stay away from forums to avoid tools like you.

One of the absolute worst things you can do for your health is to be obese. It doesn't matter what your blood work looks like today; you're at risk for all sorts of serious health complications down the line. Doctors and other people aren't trying to be ****s when they tell you to lose weight; they simply understand the numerous risks of being overfat. To put that another way, it's more about facts than being mean. Worrying about trivial stuff like organic foods and "being healthy" when you're at a very unhealthy weight/BF%, is losing sight of the forest for the trees. Counting calories is one way to take the weight off, and if you don't want to do that, there are other ways. But if "health" is truly your concern, weight loss should be a priority.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Technically, if you're overweight while pregnant, it is not necessary to gain any weight at all.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    So, I haven't posted in any forum in years. But I just have to vent today. I lost about 40 pounds over the course of 2 years using mfp. I got pregnant and gained about 30 back (which was kind of necessary ;) ). My son is 15 months old, and I weigh as much as I did when he was born. Lately, we have been eating less and eating healthier, but there has been no change in the scale or how I look. This summer, I took up running.....no change. How can one run 3 times a week and not see a change??? So, I quit.

I feel so fat and yucky, and I don't even feel like I want to continue anymore. It's like nothing changes. I don't want to count calories, because we have been trying to eat better foods, which means no low fat junk filled with bad things. I don't do low fat, so I eat less. I just needed to express this in writing. If running doesn't make a difference, why even bother.

/thread
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    And you seem like a nice person. I don't want to count calories because there is so much more to being healthy than how many calories you eat. Haven't you learned- if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Guess I will stay away from forums to avoid tools like you.

Wow. Stay classy OP name calling people who are actually trying to help you? Really? No one has said anything mean to you. No one has said anything mean at all.

ETA: If you didn't want constructive responses from people trying to help you then maybe next time make this a blog post.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    what about your children? What do they have to say........... You just had some children and then you only think about yourself? You bring children into this world and you don't even think about their welfare, their future.........you are young, but if you keep going the way you are, you wont be here long because of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke.........I remember Lorainne Janasek, she was in my 5th grade class, and her obese , overweight mother died of a heart attack during the semester

Lorriae was overweight as well............Fast forward........Lorraine is a diabetic and hugely overweight. Unable to live a normal life because of her previous lifestyle........Lorraine always had cup cakes, cookies, ate terribly, I remember, she always came up with excuses NOT to go to P.E, or play sports............her mom sheileded her away from all physcial activities...........the sins of the mother

moms gone, Lorraines up the creek because THE MOTHER didn't concern herself with her daughters welfare.............

think about it.....start a new refreshing life, turn things around, so you will be here for your child and your grandchildren.........this is abrassive, but your children need you...........
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

So you used MFP in the way it was intended lost 40 lbs, now you need to lose again and don't want to use it in the way designed. Makes sense... for a thread on the Friday forums.

No one has been rude or whatever else you think, they have given you good advice. You can now make a decision to take the advice or not. But considering you are on a site designed around the basis of calorie counting, common sense would be that people using it would think it's a good method.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you have to eat at a deficit.

To eat at a deficit you have to know how much you are eating.

To know how much you are eating you have to weigh and measure everything you eat.

The first sentence is true, the second and third are not. You need a deficit for fat loss. That is ALL you need. How is personal preference.

I stand by all 3...2 is most definitely true because if you don't know how much you are eating then how would you know you're at a deficit?

Again, because you are losing weight. I am not measuring or logging my food. I am losing weight, therefore, I know I am in a deficit. I have no idea how many calories I consume in a day, nor do I care because I know it's less than I burn. How do I know?

Again, because I am losing weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    don't give up...I know sometimes it takes us time to get our head in gear when it comes to re-thinking how we eat and move.
    Good habits will stay if you keep at them...give it time. We didn't gain our weight over night and we certainly can't expect it to shift quickly. Its so worth keeping on going though, making little changes and getting some exercise in when you can. Believe me you will come to love and look forward to your runs/workouts :)
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Wow. Stay classy OP name calling people who are actually trying to help you? Really? No one has said anything mean to you. No one has said anything mean at all.

^^ Agree. I don't get why people get their panties in a wad when someone gives GOOD advice to a question that THEY posted in the forums?!?!?! Don't post if you don't have the ability to hear things you don't want to hear. Ask your FL. I'm sure they'll tell you EXACTLY what you'd like to hear. And you'll stay the same weight, as well. :ohwell:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

So you used MFP in the way it was intended lost 40 lbs, now you need to lose again and don't want to use it in the way designed. Makes sense... for a thread on the Friday forums.

No one has been rude or whatever else you think, they have given you good advice. You can now make a decision to take the advice or not. But considering you are on a site designed around the basis of calorie counting, common sense would be that people using it would think it's a good method.

Pfffffft. You and Trog with your logic. It has no place here. :flowerforyou:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Don't let the negativity get to you.

You don't have to weigh and measure and log to lose weight. That is a fact. You do have to create a deficit. Logging may help with that, but it's just a tool, not a necessity.

Again I would stress having your doctor run some tests to see if you have any medical conditions that might affect your weight loss. A hormonal change would not be surprising after the birth of a child, and hormones play a part in weight loss.

Whatever method you choose, don't give up. Keep working at it and sooner or later your body will have to comply. Best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:

The only negativity on this thread is the OP calling someone a tool.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

JSF
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I can track things for my health too...like macro/micronutrient intake. ..along with my calorie consumption to assure I'm staying in my respective calorie goals.....

But you keep guessing. We're all wrong anyway.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Yeahbut - At your weight there are more health benefits to losing the weight as quickly as safely possible than there are benefits to making sure that you're "eating healthy" (whatever that means.)

For you, at your weight, the healthiest eating choice is restricted calories.
  • tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    All of the opinions, information, suggestions expressed were "constructive" and not meant to be destructive. You want to lose weight and you have lost any motivation. This is for you and your family. It might hurt to hear the truth, but you are in control of your life and must make the decision to do something. Good luck to everyone
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

OP, I went back and read your original post in this thread, and your biggest complaint is how "fat and yucky" (your words, not mine) you feel. Yes, there's more to being healthy than how many calories you eat, but there's NOT more to weight loss than how many calories you eat.

Weight loss is all about how many calories you consume versus how many you burn. You could eat all healthy veggies and ultra lean meats, but if you're eating more than you burn, it is not going to change anything about your body. You really have to eat in a deficit.

Counting calories is about making eating in a deficit easier. It's not hard at all to think about what you put in your mouth and record it. Yes, there comes a time when you don't have to do this anymore, but that time isn't until you figure out how to eat in a deficit and then eat at maintenance for a while.

Even before calorie counting websites, the only way to lose weight was to eat fewer calories than your body burns in a day. The laws of thermodynamics haven't changed just because the tools got easier.

Either you want to do it and lose the weight or you want to stay, as you put it, "fat and yucky" feeling. It's entirely up to you OP.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Yeahbut - At your weight there are more health benefits to losing the weight as quickly as safely possible than there are benefits to making sure that you're "eating healthy" (whatever that means.)

For you, at your weight, the healthiest eating choice is restricted calories.

Again with your logic...smh.
  • Nero_2015
    Options
    Hello,

Sometimes it takes a long time for the changes to show up on the scale. I know it's maddening, but it may take more than week.

Case in point, I had been weighing all of my food (with a portable and regular scale) and exercising at a high intensity (not weight training), and meeting my MFP daily goals. Although my body fat % was going down, my actual weight didn't budge; in fact, at the end of the month the scale said I had gained two pounds!

I got so upset, and in a rash decision, deleted my account. The next week, after not weighing my food, and eating more irresponsibly I weighed myself on a lark. I had lost the three pounds I had been trying so hard to lose!

So I know it's difficult, but it is worth to continue striving to meet your daily goals. I do think weighing your food is a good idea, but maybe avoid weighing yourself very often. Stick to your plan, and weigh in once a month or maybe even a month and half. I would be very much surprised if you didn't see progress at that point.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Sometimes it takes a long time for the changes to show up on the scale. I know it's maddening, but it may take more than week.

Case in point, I had been weighing all of my food (with a portable and regular scale) and exercising at a high intensity (not weight training), and meeting my MFP daily goals. Although my body fat % was going down, my actual weight didn't budge; in fact, at the end of the month the scale said I had gained two pounds!

Like you, I got so upset, and in a rash decision, deleted my account. The next week, after not weighing my food, and eating more irresponsibly I weighed myself on a lark. I had lost the three pounds I had been trying so hard to lose.

So I know it's difficult, but it is worth to continue striving to meet your daily goals. I do think weighing your food is a good idea, but maybe avoid weighing yourself very often. Stick to your plan, and weigh in once a month or maybe even a month and half. I would be very much surprised if you didn't see progress at that point.

Good on you for coming back. :flowerforyou: