Just need to vent

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you have to eat at a deficit.

To eat at a deficit you have to know how much you are eating.

To know how much you are eating you have to weigh and measure everything you eat.

The first sentence is true, the second and third are not. You need a deficit for fat loss. That is ALL you need. How is personal preference.

I stand by all 3...2 is most definitely true because if you don't know how much you are eating then how would you know you're at a deficit?

Again, because you are losing weight. I am not measuring or logging my food. I am losing weight, therefore, I know I am in a deficit. I have no idea how many calories I consume in a day, nor do I care because I know it's less than I burn. How do I know?

Again, because I am losing weight.
    and the OP isn't.
    so again, your advice/approach isn't valid.

it doesn't matter how much or how hard you argue it.

I did not advise the OP not to log her food. I corrected an incorrect post.

If you aren't advising the OP then you are thread hijacking.

And it wasn't incorrect. No matter how much you argue it. Maybe that's what works for some, but for someone who has no idea what they are eating, thinks they have cut back but are not losing then I think getting an idea of what they are actually eating would be very useful information to have.

That is pretty much what I've been saying. It's a useful tool for some. It could (not would) help.

That, however, is not what you said. It's right above if you want to re-read what you posted. You said "have to". That's incorrect.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    what about your children? What do they have to say........... You just had some children and then you only think about yourself? You bring children into this world and you don't even think about their welfare, their future.........you are young, but if you keep going the way you are, you wont be here long because of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke..........

I am slightly offended that someone who actually imply that I don't care about my son. I am not just thinking of myself. If that was the case, I would be shoving myself full of nasty food all day long, and not exercising at all. One of the things I said in the start of this thread was that I am eating healthy and running, but not losing weight...and that I was finding that frustrating. I did not say that I was a lazy blob who did nothing but snack all day.

Ok, I can understand your frustration with this post. Just chalk it up to someone commenting without reading and comprehending what you actually said. It's not really personal, even though it feels like it. I'm sure that no one here really thinks you don't care about your son.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Healthy food =/= weight loss

There are so many calorie dense, nutrient dense whole foods it's almost laughable to think that just switching the way by which you are overeating is a better option. In theory, those foods could potentially be less calorie dense but how could you possibly know unless you're logging accurately?

No foods, on their own, are good or bad. Put those foods into the context on an entire diet and you have to determine whether they fit or not.

I make "nasty" food fit into my day and I know, this may shock you, I am healthy!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

To know how much you are eating you have to weigh and measure everything you eat.

The first sentence is true, the second and third are not. You need a deficit for fat loss. That is ALL you need. How is personal preference.

I stand by all 3...2 is most definitely true because if you don't know how much you are eating then how would you know you're at a deficit?

Again, because you are losing weight. I am not measuring or logging my food. I am losing weight, therefore, I know I am in a deficit. I have no idea how many calories I consume in a day, nor do I care because I know it's less than I burn. How do I know?

and the OP isn't.

And it wasn't incorrect. No matter how much you argue it. Maybe that's what works for some, but for someone who has no idea what they are eating, thinks they have cut back but are not losing then I think getting an idea of what they are actually eating would be very useful information to have.

That is pretty much what I've been saying. It's a useful tool for some. It could (not would) help.

That, however, is not what you said. It's right above if you want to re-read what you posted. You said "have to". That's incorrect.

no it isn't. in order to determine a deficit. you have to use math. not "well, I guess I'm losing so I must be at a deficit".

I know, it's a lot to admit that you're wrong, but just chalk it up and move on.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Sometimes in life we have to work hard for the things we want.

So what will it be OP?
  • trogalicious
    Options

and the OP isn't.

no it isn't. in order to determine a deficit. you have to use math. not "well, I guess I'm losing so I must be at a deficit".

I know, it's a lot to admit that you're wrong, but just chalk it up and move on.

Yeah, geez, apparently it is hard to admit. So, riddle me this Batman, how am I losing weight without knowing how much I am eating? Magic?
    burning plenty of calories arguing moot points by threadjacking instead of moving on.

make sure you log it.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

and the OP isn't.

So consistently losing doesn't prove the deficit?
  • PRMinx
    Options

and the OP isn't.

Yeah, geez, apparently it is hard to admit. So, riddle me this Batman, how am I losing weight without knowing how much I am eating? Magic?

Why do you make every single thread about you?

Trial and error. It works. Not efficient, but it works.
  • theresamichelle78
    Options
    I'm not so fat that I am going to die anytime soon, but thanks for that assumption I guess. My cholesterol, triglycerides, sugar, etc are all extremely healthy.
    I feel so fat and yucky, and I don't even feel like I want to continue anymore.

OP, you need help beyond that available on an internet forum.

I meant continue exercising and eating right. Not that I didn't want to continue with life. :)
  • trogalicious
    Options

and the OP isn't.

So consistently losing doesn't prove the deficit?

proving a deficit is easy. the threadjacker is losing weight without logging.

OP isn't logging / isn't losing weight.

threadjacker keeps on harping on a helpful post because they disagree with the advice.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

and the OP isn't.

Why do you make every single thread about you?

Trial and error. It works. Not efficient, but it works.

Because...attention.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

and the OP isn't.

*eyeroll* Enough already.

OP, counting calories is not always fun. But it's the simplest way to get you to your goals. When I slack off on counting, I feel my pants getting tighter, and I know it's time to buckle down. I wish I didn't have to, but I do.

Also, did you mention how long you gave yourself to see results? Time and patience are also key here. If you've put in more than a couple months of dedicated logging and running, and STILL haven't seen a difference either in the scale or measurements, it may be time to consult your physician for a more in-depth look. But diligently counting your intake for an extended period of time, while annoying/frustrating/whatever, will be your biggest tool.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    That_Escalated_Quickly.jpg
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    deleted my post.

Sorry OP, I should not have let myself be baited like that. My apology. I hope you find the right path for you.

No one baited you. This is what you do in any thread you enter.

OP...I posted a link earlier, there's a lot of good info there. They might even help you find the motivation. Some people also read a lot of the success stories and that motivates them.

Because there have been a lot of posts I'll post that link again

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1455850-new-here-have-questions-this-may-help
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    deleted my post.

Sorry OP, I should not have let myself be baited like that. My apology. I hope you find the right path for you.

Baited? You hijack every thread you participate in by arguing.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I did that once also. However, I did it in an unhealthy manner. I lost too much weight too fast. Then when I got to my low weight I still had a high percentage of body fat and was unhappy with how I looked and wanted to lose even more. I lost lean mass. Then when I started eating "normally" again, I packed the pounds back on. How much you eat does matter. And it isn't until you have logged for awhile that you really can manage maintaining while not logging. Losing lean mass perhaps doesn't matter to some people, but it is another important factor in health. Bone mass as women age, strength, frailty all are important considerations in quality of life as you age.

If you are losing the perfect amount so that you are also not losing too much lean mass, then congratulations, you are perfect, and I fail to see why you would even need to be on a calorie counting website.
  • itsjenny82
    Options
    I have been doing a keto diet since May and have lost about 40 pounds. I didn't take up running until just recently, I wanted to shed the pounds first. I did very light cardio and lost the weight through the keto diet I'm on. I felt the same way as you did in the beginning, but after seeing really awesome results, its worth it! I don't count calories, either. Its all about protein, lean meats, the right types of veggies, and very low carbs. The diet is amazing, and NOW I run several times a week! Good luck..you just need some motivation to get started :)

Jenn
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    deleted my post.

Exactly. Glad I'm not the only one who sees this.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    deleted my post.

Exactly. Glad I'm not the only one who sees this.

No, you are not. We all see it. No one cares enough to "bait" anyone.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Omg, for a minute there I thought I'd gain a hate for Zelda but it's just an elf avi /sigh of relief.

I can leave this thread happy now.

Pour one out, let it burn