HELP!!!!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    No. my Dr's have not suggested a break from my dietary changes. (I don't really like calling what i'm doing a "diet" per se because it gives the conotation that I'm cutting out foods, or using some fad diet... I'm not. I'm just learning how to have a healthier relationship with food and not to overindulge. It's a process, not a "diet".) Honestly, when people start talking in acronyms, I kind of tune out. What the heck is a TDEE, and why can't we just spell it out so people who aren't "in the know" can understand? Kind of a pet peeve of mine I guess... It's kind of like the old Charlie Brown cartoons when the grown ups start speaking, all you hear is "wah wah wah wah..." ;)

I don't know the "average" women you know. How average are they? Have they ever been 250+ pounds? Also, what do you consider to be active? Perhaps my activity level isn't the same as theirs, maybe it's more, I don't know... we may be comparing apples to kumquats... if we are, then how do I decide, if I should be at 1200, 1500, 2000 or whatever, other than following the advice of my Dr's?

Actually I'm quite open to other ideas about what may or may not be causing it. But I'm pretty confident in the fact that my Dr's have considered the possiblility since we discussed alopecia and it's different forms during my last apppointment.

What this all boils down to is I really don't want to resort to wearing my old clown wig... (yes, I really was a clown for a living years ago. I'd rather be bald. lol)

TDEE = Total daily energy expended (aka maintenance calories). TDEE = basal/resting metabolic needs (number of calories burned if you slept 24 hours through metabolic functions) + daily activity (bathroom, walking, digestion, etc..) + calories burned through exercise.

In terms of the average, i work with women as big as 300 lbs and as small as 110 lbs. I have worked with people on losing weight, gaining weight, recomps and even recovery from extreme diets (HCG). My wife has several medical conditions (borderline PCOS and has Postural Orthostatitc Tachycardia Syndrome) and I have also worked with people who are PCOS, hypothyroidism, etc.. I do it out of a passion. Most of the people I work with have desk jobs and exercise from 0 hours a week to 6 hours a week (averaging around 5 hours). So it's a variety.

I asked about diet breaks because some literature I have seen would suggest that increases in stress levels and adjustments in hormone levels can cause your body to adapt, burn less calories and cause temporary plateaus. It is suggested that every 6 months that you reverse diet essentially by adding more calories to reach your maintenance levels, at which you would eat there for 2 weeks. Once you finish that, you would slowly reduce your deficit to a more appropriate level. Not only can this be beneficial from a hormone perspective, it can also help mentally. I personally do this a few times a year (mainly during holidays where food is a big thing). Belong is one such article that discussed some issues caused by dieting.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/

Interesting... and well written. Thank you. I'll consider that, as well as look at your link.

As for fiddling with TDEE, if it's so important and such a vital part of the weight equation, why doesn't MFP just include it as part of the app/website?

You have to keep in mind that MFP is a dummy system. It relies on the inputs of the individual, which assumes they have some basic knowledge of fitness. The main purpose of the forums is to provide that foundational education for people to make those decisions.