So I went to a nutritionist

Options
1235»

Replies

• kdchristensen501
    Options
    Getting off sugar, white flour and high GI foods and adding in lots of green vegetables will help your depression, and walk more!
    I've been down that road too!
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hello OP,

First off let me say you are beautiful! Secondly I am s university student who attended college before.
    A couple of things id like to address;:
    Do you study/do homework in your room where you sleep? If so stop! For me in college this was the main reason I couldn't ever sleep! I was in such close proximity to my bed (as most rez's are) I mentally couldn't separate from it :(
    Second try and make the time to workout, it does so much good for you mentally! It reduces my stress, depression and helps me sleep better than anything out there. Someone already said fitness blender, another workout I truly love is waysofgray, search her up on instagram or Google, her eBook is 10$ and workouts can be done in 30 or less normally less .
    Third do yourself a favour, next time go home get a ride to the grocery store and pick up a small bottle of franks hot sauce + individual spice packets. Walmart has them and its cheap.

I wouldn't try the herb if I was you, id increase the hell outta the protein and reduce your sugar! More energy in no time. If you keep feeling down try a vitamin d pill and if its really bad try tryptophan, a depression drug that's plant based and no side effects of attachment issues, Really helped my first year away.

Don't be a stranger feel free to add me if you need clarification, or a buddy :). Remember grades get you a job but you need health and confidence to even get in the door of a job.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble with the math here in that your calories are fine, protein is fine, and fat is fine but you need to maintain your calorie level but decrease carbs without increasing anything else. I didn't notice if you provided a full macro breakdown but if you're at 1700 calories and 50 grams of protein then your day might look something like...

pro: 50gm's = 200 calories
    fat: 57gm's = 510 calories (I'm guessing based on 30% of your total calories which is about max recommended)
    cho: 248gm's = 990 calories
    Total = 1700 calories

So if protein and fat remain constant and you reduce your daily carb in-take and let's assume it's 100gm's for example purposes, your day would now look like...

pro: 50gm's = 200 cal's
    fat: 57 gm's = 510 cal's
    cho: 148gm's = 592 cal's
    Total = 1,302 cal's

That's a difference of 400 calories and rather dramatic. If you calories are good and your dietitian wants you to maintain your calories but cut your carbs, then you must add the deficit left from the reduced carbs in the form of fat or protein, it's just simple math. Nothing wrong with replacing some carbs with green veggies by any means, but you're still at a net-net reduction in total calories and if you're not feeling great now then you're going to feel even worse.
  • jfeakins
    jfeakins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Everybody has time to exercise. If you think you are busy as a student, wait until real life, it gets worse. People that work and have kids and all that, look at students that say they don't have time, and die laughing. Carve out 30 minutes and exercise. It will be the best investment of your time. The President of the United States takes time to exercise, you certainly can to. You just are not putting it up there on your list of priorities. One solution to this is schedule it into your day. I don't fit in exercise, I actually schedule it in with everything else.

As far as your diet, it is my opinion that you are eating more than you think you are. That's not a huge problem, but you are not able to weigh and measure because it is being served to you. So, that's probably where you are failing in your attempts. I would prioritize feeling more energetic, rather than trying to lose weight. I do believe that exercise will do that for you. Schedule it in. It is important. If you don't take care of your body, it will fail you when you need it.

Gonna have to agree with guitarharry on this one. May I just add that the amount of time that you spent writing this and reading and responding to ALL of the kind people who are trying to help you...you coulda exercised!

Ha! I always say, "If Beyonce has time to exercise, so do I!!"

To the point of scheduling it-- this is a huge tool that keeps my butt in that gym. I'm sure you have a phone/computer/old school journal with a calendar function. Use it! I schedule time for the gym like I schedule work meetings and I do *NOT* move them. Not for work or social functions. I find it also helps to commit to the same time each day. We all like a routine, no?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    At this point I'm shelving exercise until I have the time and energy, but thank you.

When I was 19, I was a single mother and full-time student with a job and a boyfriend and I had time to exercise. What is going on in your life that you have less time than I did?

As for energy, exercise GIVES you energy. Just start walking. Trust me.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    At this point I'm shelving exercise until I have the time and energy, but thank you.

When I was 19, I was a single mother and full-time student with a job and a boyfriend and I had time to exercise. What is going on in your life that you have less time than I did?

I've looked at everyone's advice--thank you for your input. I understand people have busier lives than I do and still find the time. But right now it's not just time, it's energy. I'm mentally and physically drained at the end of the day. After a full day of classes, work, studying, clubs, whatever social time I have--I'm drained. I don't get to do a lot of the things my friends do because of how out of shape I am. I wilt if I exert myself too much. I just want to be thinner at this point. Exercise can wait.
  • rml_16
    Options

I've looked at everyone's advice--thank you for your input. I understand people have busier lives than I do and still find the time. But right now it's not just time, it's energy. I'm mentally and physically drained at the end of the day. After a full day of classes, work, studying, clubs, whatever social time I have--I'm drained. I don't get to do a lot of the things my friends do because of how out of shape I am. I wilt if I exert myself too much. I just want to be thinner at this point. Exercise can wait.
    And, again, exercise gives you energy. It also makes you stronger (I couldn't do five minutes the first time I was on an elliptical. Now I can go for as long as I want/have time for).

If it were important to you, you would do it. You don't need to make excuses. Just say you don't want to. But, also, don't complain about not being able to do things with your friends because that is your fault.

I will say, if it is THAT bad at your age, you should see a doctor because that isn't normal.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

I am there, too. People tell me I will have more energy if I exercise more, but I am so tired. if only I wasn't so tired I would be able to exercise to give me energy ugh! I am told it helps with mood and sleep and weight and energy and health. When you find some time you may want to consider it. You may have resources to exercise on campus.

I am in a very different situation than you. I am much older and do see a doctor for depression. Like was stated above it isn't normal to be that tired
  • rml_16
    Options
    You may have resources to exercise on campus.

If you have feet and a surface, you can walk. That's all you need to do to start. Walk, swim if you have access to a pool, maybe some yoga if you can get to a class. You don't start with the marathon. You start with a quarter-mile walk and work your way up.

The first time the strongest man in the world picked up a barbell, it was probably 20 pounds.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

If it were important to you, you would do it. You don't need to make excuses. Just say you don't want to. But, also, don't complain about not being able to do things with your friends because that is your fault.

I will say, if it is THAT bad at your age, you should see a doctor because that isn't normal.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but this poster is kind of right. I'm 37 working 50+ hours a week with 24/7 on-call support, I'm working on my Masters degree, and I'm married but I still train hard 3x / week.

You very well could be wiped out, but you should strongly consider getting a blood panel drawn to evaluate your blood sugar, thyroid, iron, etc, etc. There might be something else going on with you right now, you shouldn't be so tired all the time.