Interesting Dilemma

Options

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Then don't read it or reply. Same goes for Morgan Freeman. If you have nothing worthwhile to contribute move on to the next post.
    This is neither Interesting nor a Dilemma.
    You drink too much water and can't get enough food in. Not a dilemma, I think even a third grader can figure that one out.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    It was 1.5c prepared not dry.

So that was 3/4ths a cup dry oats? That would probably make me feel uncomfortable after eating too, and then with all that water added in it's like it keeps swelling in your stomach! I know that's probably not happening but it's how it feels! (Unless you make your oats like I now do, which is 1/4 cup dry oats and 1 cup water, it's pretty soupy by then and the oats don't have much space to absorb more water).

I agree with the person(s) who said that if it was 3/4 cup dry oats and 3/4 cup water that water should count toward your water intake, same as it would if you ate the oats dry and drank the water.

So have the last couple days gone better for you? Did you try skipping the flax? Still having trouble eating over 1000 cals and getting your water in?

Do you like things like cucumbers, lettuce and watermelon? Not calorie dense I know, but they have a lot of water that maybe it's more comfortable for your tummy to get more water in from high-water foods.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    How can you not manage 1,000 calories a day w/water when you're at least 100lbs overweight?

I'm not trying to be a **** or anything but I've seen so many people on here who are overweight saying they can barely meet mfp's minimum requirement. It just makes me wonder how they got to where they are if they apparently eat like birds.

Usually when a person starts a sentence with "I'm not trying to be a ****" you can rest assured that's exactly what they're trying to do. In spite of your comment I will offer a reply. I was healthy and active for a good portion of my life. After being assaulted I began eating to dull the pain & in a sense to make myself unattractive. Now through therapy and coping skills I've found other channels. It doesnt take a genius to figure out (judging by some of the comments maybe it does) eating McDonalds, Wendys, Sonic, pre-packaged, and other fatty high calorie foods one can well surpass 1000 calories. In a mission to change that lifestyle I've opted to only eat fresh things that I prepare at home which makes it a lot harder to reach 1000 calories.

so stop doing that. Add in other things like fats that will help you reach your calories without feeling so full and still allow you to drink your water. There are a lot of healthy ways to eat fats - avocado, peanut butter, coconut oil, olive oil.... All will add calories quickly and not fill you up.

I like how you're not addressing the suggestions to eat higher fat foods, like the comment above mine.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    No, it was 1.5c of cooked oatmeal.

Considering oatmeal, like pasta, is one of those food items that water content has a huge variable in weight and volume, but of course not in calories, you might actually weigh the uncooked amount you had.
    As far as calories, who cares how much it ended up making, the container probably had uncooked nutrition info too, with serving per gram dry.

For future reference, besides sounding like smaller amount to eat in the first place, that's what you want to use for accurate calorie count - weight uncooked.

Any item where water is going to come into the the making of it (like pasta), should be weighed and calculated dry, because water is highly variable, not only amount you put in, but how long you cook and how much it absorbs, ect.
    Shoot, even my frozen skillet dishes call for 1/2 cup water to be added, so if I weighed the final cooked result, it would be very off from the frozen weight the package and nutrition label are talking about.

And measurements for non-liquid stuff is just a convenience given anyway, calories is per weight so in grams, not volume as in cups or spoons.

You really got my curiosity up as to how much you really had. Because some of the posts about bad reaction to oats makes sense. Then again it is filling anyway.
    Did you measure out how much to start with, or weigh it out?
    Did container give dry nutritional info, and also "as prepared" column?
  • Alluminati
    Options

you're a jerk to everyone on these boards...maybe you should just stay quiet

U mad?
  • FlabULessFoodie
    FlabULessFoodie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started with 7c dry. It cooked to 14c. The container gives dry nutrition. I called the number on the back to clarify.The representative states 1/2c dry is equal to 1c cooked but calories don't change unless I'm using butter or milk. I used warer.
    No, it was 1.5c of cooked oatmeal.

Considering oatmeal, like pasta, is one of those food items that water content has a huge variable in weight and volume, but of course not in calories, you might actually weigh the uncooked amount you had.
    As far as calories, who cares how much it ended up making, the container probably had uncooked nutrition info too, with serving per gram dry.

For future reference, besides sounding like smaller amount to eat in the first place, that's what you want to use for accurate calorie count - weight uncooked.

Any item where water is going to come into the the making of it (like pasta), should be weighed and calculated dry, because water is highly variable, not only amount you put in, but how long you cook and how much it absorbs, ect.
    Shoot, even my frozen skillet dishes call for 1/2 cup water to be added, so if I weighed the final cooked result, it would be very off from the frozen weight the package and nutrition label are talking about.

And measurements for non-liquid stuff is just a convenience given anyway, calories is per weight so in grams, not volume as in cups or spoons.

You really got my curiosity up as to how much you really had. Because some of the posts about bad reaction to oats makes sense. Then again it is filling anyway.
    Did you measure out how much to start with, or weigh it out?
    Did container give dry nutritional info, and also "as prepared" column?
  • FlabULessFoodie
    Options
    I've noticed there seem to be quite a few people who come to this website to display just how much of a douche they can be. The best thing to do is ignore them.

you're a jerk to everyone on these boards...maybe you should just stay quiet

U mad?

Nope. I just think if you just want to criticize everyone, you should just keep quiet.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't see the dilemma.

If I'm not hungry, I don't eat. If I am hungry, I do. This means that some days I'm over the MFP number and some days, I'm under it.

If you haven't discussed your weight loss journey with your doctor, you should really do that.

Good luck!
  • FlabULessFoodie
    Options
    Because I made 14c prepared oatmeal at the start of the week I'm going to just eat it until it's gone. I eliminated the flax and have changed to drinking my water a few hours after breakfast. Still drinking the eight cups but not so close to the oatmeal has certainly made a difference. Thanks!
    It was 1.5c prepared not dry.

So that was 3/4ths a cup dry oats? That would probably make me feel uncomfortable after eating too, and then with all that water added in it's like it keeps swelling in your stomach! I know that's probably not happening but it's how it feels! (Unless you make your oats like I now do, which is 1/4 cup dry oats and 1 cup water, it's pretty soupy by then and the oats don't have much space to absorb more water).

I agree with the person(s) who said that if it was 3/4 cup dry oats and 3/4 cup water that water should count toward your water intake, same as it would if you ate the oats dry and drank the water.

So have the last couple days gone better for you? Did you try skipping the flax? Still having trouble eating over 1000 cals and getting your water in?

Do you like things like cucumbers, lettuce and watermelon? Not calorie dense I know, but they have a lot of water that maybe it's more comfortable for your tummy to get more water in from high-water foods.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    you eat when you are hungry. at some point in the day, usually about 5 or 6 times to varying degrees, you will actually feel hungry. when you do, you eat. when you dont, you dont. unless you have calories left and want ice cream. then you dont have to be hungry.

but... its kind of strange when people say they just arent hungry enough to eat, unless the goal is to gain weight or muscle and they have to eat more... if someone comes here to lose weight, then says they are just not hungry i have to assume it is a mental block.

or maybe constipation.
  • FlabULessFoodie
    Options
    Actually I said I was full. I have since discovered the problem. No constipation or mental blocks. Thank you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Also, egg whites kind of defeat the purpose if you're having trouble making your goal... Very low calorie.

This. If you are having trouble getting enough calories, why wouldn't you eat whole eggs?
  • SammieDQ37
    Options
    Add nuts and coconut oil to you day and your calories will add up very fast. On the other hand, It looks like I need to lay in on the water, LOL!!
  • FlabULessFoodie
    Options
    I don't know just thought egg whites were a healthier option in regards to fat and cholesterol
    Also, egg whites kind of defeat the purpose if you're having trouble making your goal... Very low calorie.

This. If you are having trouble getting enough calories, why wouldn't you eat whole eggs?
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    I'm confused...is this just one day? Or every day?

If it's one day, don't eat. You'll probably be hungry tomorrow (I will sometimes go below my calorie goal by far because I'm not hungry. But wake up hungry and make it up the next day). It pretty much all evens out for me.
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    OP, I actually get it and can relate but for me it happens on some days not every day, is that the case for you? also for me it's on my rest days, working out makes m hungry, if you're not doing that try it, it will probably help

Now to add to other ways to have oats, I like to soak mine overnight in greek yogurt and in the morning add banana and peanut butter it's pretty good too :happy:

For people who don't get why anyone overweight would have this problem (believe me I surprised myself when I got full quick) here's how I see it

You can eat the same volume of spaghetti and spaghetti squash but you're definitely consuming more calories eating the pasta
  • FlabULessFoodie
    Options
    I figured it out. Thanks!
    I'm confused...is this just one day? Or every day?

If it's one day, don't eat. You'll probably be hungry tomorrow (I will sometimes go below my calorie goal by far because I'm not hungry. But wake up hungry and make it up the next day). It pretty much all evens out for me.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I don't know just thought egg whites were a healthier option in regards to fat and cholesterol

Your body needs fat and cholesterol. Egg whites have none.