Interesting Dilemma

Options
1235»

Replies

• FlabULessFoodie
    FlabULessFoodie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you. You would think I said something totally insane based on some of the responses. Some of these people :( I just started on Sunday I'm new to this. I think I'll use this as a tool but I don't know that I'll be posting. If all these folks were experts then why are they here? If someome is asking for help/advice give it if able but its not necessary to be rude or try to make them feel ignorant. Thank you for your response its helpful to know someone else has experienced this.
    OP, I actually get it and can relate but for me it happens on some days not every day, is that the case for you? also for me it's on my rest days, working out makes m hungry, if you're not doing that try it, it will probably help

Now to add to other ways to have oats, I like to soak mine overnight in greek yogurt and in the morning add banana and peanut butter it's pretty good too :happy:

For people who don't get why anyone overweight would have this problem (believe me I surprised myself when I got full quick) here's how I see it

You can eat the same volume of spaghetti and spaghetti squash but you're definitely consuming more calories eating the pasta
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't know just thought egg whites were a healthier option in regards to fat and cholesterol
    Also, egg whites kind of defeat the purpose if you're having trouble making your goal... Very low calorie.

This. If you are having trouble getting enough calories, why wouldn't you eat whole eggs?

Egg yolks have lots of nutrients. Dietary cholesterol doesn't matter for most; it's not a reason to avoid yolks unless you have a specific issue. And as for fat, lots of times when new people can't eat enough it's because they are being too aggressive in eliminating fat, which is not only not unhealthy, but in the long run would probably lead to you being less satiated when the newness wears off. There's a decent argument that societal obsession with fat being the problem made the obesity problem worse. For the most part I think that message has changed, but there's still sometimes lingering fear of fat.

Egg whites are a decent way to add some more protein without significant calories, but I'd always pick eggs and not just the whites to build a meal around.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Thank you. You would think I said something totally insane based on some of the responses. Some of these people :( I just started on Sunday I'm new to this. I think I'll use this as a tool but I don't know that I'll be posting. If all these folks were experts then why are they here? If someome is asking for help/advice give it if able but its not necessary to be rude or try to make them feel ignorant. Thank you for your response its helpful to know someone else has experienced this.

It's really not you personally. If you stick around you will see a LOT of people post weird things that end up not being legitimate questions and just attention grabs. So a lot of the answers are kind of curt because people can't quite tell if the questions are legit or not. It's not that anyone is trying to make someone feel stupid, but they ARE trying to out trolls and other people who are not being legitimate, or not being honest with themselves, or simply posting outright lies in order to garner attention.

I think you were kinda just wondering if you should try to eat anyway even if you felt tummy discomfort. I think it seems you figured out to your satisfaction it's ok to not bother eating if you don't want to even if you come under calories once and a while, but figure out how to avoid the problem in the future. And I'd encourage you to keep reading the boards, even if you don't post. It's HARD and a big learning curve- so many questions why am I hungry, why am I not hungry/thirsty/tired/headache and on and on. When you are used to just eating every time you felt hungry/not hungry/thirsty/tired/headache etc etc and then you try to replace that behavior with more informed choices it leads to a lot of questions! (Not saying you did this, just giving an example of how someone might have a lot of questions that seem so silly/obvious to others). The boards have a lot of seemingly rude answers but there is a lot of good info and a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight so they speak from experience. Reading is good to gather information but you will have to put your own personal filter on it as you can't just believe everything you read but I still think it's worth it.

As for your oatmeal, made as prepared with 1 part water to 1 part oats it's still pretty thick, so I can definitely see how a cup and a half of oatmeal prepared in that way (thus .75 cup oats) can make one feel discomfort, especially if paired with 4 more cups water!! Fortunately a lot of other foods don't seem to have the same effect with water in the tummy (at least for me). Glad you have had success figuring out how to make it better for yourself.

Based on your comments about eggs I think as you go along and learn more about foods and your personal preferences you will end up making different choices than you are right now, and I think the learning will open up a lot of good things for you diet-wise. Don't let some short remarks on a message board stop you from continuing to gather information, that's a good thing to do for yourself, even if you end up choosing not to do it here!
  • FlabULessFoodie
    FlabULessFoodie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I really appreciate your taking the time to explain. I'm not an attention seeker. I'm the complete opposite. I generally prefer not to ask for help but this is important and I want to do it right. Its funny last night I saw two other posters having the same issue. It appears we all suddenly increased our water and found that it does make you feel quite full. I never considered the water in the food I'm eating.For now I'm going to continue drinking the 64oz and just eat when I feel hungry. I'm sure at some point it will balance out. I will continue with MFP and reading posts but I think if I have a question or something to share I'll do it on my page and not in the forums. I have enough to deal with I don't need to come to a website to be talked down to. Thanks again!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I drink about 120 oz of water per day and I never feel full...wish I had that problem!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't know just thought egg whites were a healthier option in regards to fat and cholesterol
    Also, egg whites kind of defeat the purpose if you're having trouble making your goal... Very low calorie.

This. If you are having trouble getting enough calories, why wouldn't you eat whole eggs?

Your body needs fat and cholesterol. Egg whites have none.

Why would a properly functioning body need dietary cholesterol?
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i make myself half a serving of oats every day with half a cup of non-fat milk. it comes to way under a cup prepared. i make my husband twice as much oats, which is technically a full serving, and it came to well under a cup prepared. sounds like you're eating at least 1.5 or 2 servings of oats. why not prepare it with 1% milk and cut down to 1 serving (which is 40 grams)? if you aren't hungry, i'd suggest ditching the pears and having something with protein and maybe some fat.

lots of people never feel hungry, or at least never notice they are. so eating only when feeling hungry can leave you not eating enough, depending on how in touch you are with your body.

btw, i had trouble with water, as it appears that some waters hurt my stomach and mimic a feeling of fullness - over-fullness, actually. i find arrowhead is the most soothing water - i can drink it all day long. maybe there's more calcium in it, as when i boil it, it leaves a white powdery residue, but the bottom line is i have better luck drinking it. also drinking very cold water is easier on my tummy.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I really appreciate your taking the time to explain. I'm not an attention seeker. I'm the complete opposite. I generally prefer not to ask for help but this is important and I want to do it right. Its funny last night I saw two other posters having the same issue. It appears we all suddenly increased our water and found that it does make you feel quite full. I never considered the water in the food I'm eating.For now I'm going to continue drinking the 64oz and just eat when I feel hungry. I'm sure at some point it will balance out. I will continue with MFP and reading posts but I think if I have a question or something to share I'll do it on my page and not in the forums. I have enough to deal with I don't need to come to a website to be talked down to. Thanks again!

Well, you have learned some good things in this topic hopefully.

So confirm you use your brain with knowledge over your stomach with or without food.

Because no, it doesn't just balance out nicely usually.

The whole listening to your body thing ONLY works when you truly understand what is going on with your body - vast majority of people don't.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    OP, I actually get it and can relate but for me it happens on some days not every day, is that the case for you? also for me it's on my rest days, working out makes m hungry, if you're not doing that try it, it will probably help

Now to add to other ways to have oats, I like to soak mine overnight in greek yogurt and in the morning add banana and peanut butter it's pretty good too :happy:

For people who don't get why anyone overweight would have this problem (believe me I surprised myself when I got full quick) here's how I see it

You can eat the same volume of spaghetti and spaghetti squash but you're definitely consuming more calories eating the pasta

It's not that I can't believe she'd have this issue - I've experienced it, too (still do some days). It's the statement (and belief) that it's either/or - she can either drink the water or meet her calorie goals. It's *not* either/or - and to encourage her otherwise is sorta dangerous. We're talking about disordered thinking about food - that water is more important than meeting nutritional needs and that eating under 1,000 calories a day is okay. She's trying to eat "health" food at the cost of her health in the long term.

And I really don't understand why more people aren't concerned about her behavior.