Six min mile

Options
I have a goal by next year to run a 6 min mile, already averaging 9 mins If I only run one or 10 mins a mile if I run three or more. A nine min mile is 6.67 mph so 6 min mile I will have to run ten mph or a little slower at times then run faster then ten mph to make it up, which will prob be hard to do in town with traffic and people on the side walks, plus dogs that are sometimes running free and cops stopping me thinking I'm running from something or involved in something I shouldn't be .

Not a lot of people can run a six min mile or less but it would be awesome if I could because I'm the only one in my family that likes to run, In July I could only walk a mile and that was about 20 mins. I'm going to practice on the treadmill at the gym so I have to go the same speed it's set at to help reach my goal. Anyone have any tips for me to get better mile time?

Replies

• JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Awesome goal. I'd suggest calling the local highschool, and finding out the public hours on the track. It'll give you room to push for faster runs.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Run 400M as fast as you can. Take a breather. Do it again. Take a break. Do it again. 400M intervals will absolutely kick your *kitten*. :noway:

I've never been a fan of running on treadmills because I am someone who constantly changes speeds and stride lengths (I don't run a lot anymore, but when I do that is how I am. I am chaotic.) Anyways, concentrate on stride, breathing, and posture. Proper technique can make running so much easier.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    In to hear tips because I'd like to improve my time as well (currently around an 11 min mile for long runs, would like to get down to 9-10). A six minute mile is an amazing goal, I don't think I'll ever be able to do that but kudos to you! You can do it!
  • NowIFeelYa
    NowIFeelYa Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    thanks for advice for the track, that would be awesome to get to run and not have to worry about stopping until I tire myself out. The farthest I have ran is 6 miles none stop but I have ran more then that in a night just not all at once. I did a mile in 9 mins and 28 seconds tonight and started running faster after I hit my first mile but I stopped when I got to my house because it was late but gps said I was averaging 7 mins and 11 seconds a mile but I only kept that up for .40 of a mile. Why is it that when I run it always takes me over a mile to get my breathing steady, like the first mile is the hardest?
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There are lots of training plans, but you should find one that includes track speed work to increase your speed. Highly recommend you gradually increase your training pace and distance or else it is very easy to get overtraining injuries. In addition, if you start sprinting without a good base, and a good warmup, you may pull hamstrings or other muscles and set your plans back. Good luck
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    There are lots of training plans, but you should find one that includes track speed work to increase your speed. Highly recommend you gradually increase your training pace and distance or else it is very easy to get overtraining injuries. In addition, if you start sprinting without a good base, and a good warmup, you may pull hamstrings or other muscles and set your plans back. Good luck

/\ This. Remember to warm up completely and properly.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    In to hear tips because I'd like to improve my time as well (currently around an 11 min mile for long runs, would like to get down to 9-10). A six minute mile is an amazing goal, I don't think I'll ever be able to do that but kudos to you! You can do it!

What you're looking to do is a bit different to the OP - the OP is looking for a flat out 1 mile rather than a sustained pace over 10+ miles (which I assume you mean by long run). My last HM I averaged 10min miles and am hoping to be nearer 9:30 on my next one this weekend. My speed has increased as I've run more miles (now running 30+ miles a week). This has been a combination of 5k & 10k runs plus one or 2 speed work/ hill/ threshold sessions a month. This has brought my average pace in a HM down from 12:30 miles to as I say I hope below 10 min miles in the space of about 14 weeks.

Given my 5k pace is currently about 8:30 a mile, all I can say to the OP is good luck :) I'd love to be that quick but don't think I ever will be, I was built for endurance I think.
  • NowIFeelYa
    NowIFeelYa Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    30+ miles a week that's great! I usually do 15-20 a week I prob would do more if I wasn't right in town. My six mile jog hurt my right foot ( I have running shoes) I took a four day break and no longer have a foot problem while running/jogging. I'm the only person that runs almost everyday in my town. I have gotten so used to my jogs I don't get out of breath and hardly sweat, so I decided I want to go for a mile run maybe two at a faster pace to feel like I did when I started off jogging. I want to try to push myself to do more, faster, steady pace and in the long run maybe be able to go farther with my runs. I never thought I would like jogging or running but I'm glad I do, it helps me with stress and depression and to work harder at stuff I normally do like push mow the yard etc (I don't really need breaks at the same things I used to take two or three). I only wish I had someone to run with I think that would help me but most people I tell or see me running or jogging only say "you do all of that and no one is chasing you" even a cop said almost the same thing.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I hear you about not thinking you'd ever like running! I'm exactly the same - I can't believe how much I enjoy it and now wished I started years ago! Regarding running on your own, I do some running on my own but also joined my local running club which has pushed me on as some of them are really good. It also has the benefit of people showing me new routes etc so stops it getting stale. It might be worth you having a look if theres a group or club near you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I used to do 1 six min mile at a time...years ago...I don't run anymore but what I did was just watch my timer...

If I ran a 9min mile one day my goal was 8.5min mile next time and I just worked up to it...day after day....
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to see 6s or below until I extended mileage above 25-30 mpw, held it there a while, added strides and then added track work. At the same time, I was losing body fat and making sure to fit in some plyo and strength training and, of course, rest and recovery days.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    A 6min mile is a great accomplishment, but I think all the work it takes to get you there (along with the changes you'll see in yourself on the way) will be much more rewarding. Tactically, everything Carrie said is dead on, but being a guy, you'll probably get there with slightly less work.

My question to you is "run a 6 minute mile, then what?"
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Find a local running club and / or a structured 10K training plan to help you build a solid base. You need to bring in speed training sessions, with 400m sprints

You are a long way away from 6 minute miles, your first goal needs to be 400m in under 90 seconds. Have a very gentle warm up at a track and then go for the 400m and see how you get on. Shaving 15 to 20 seconds of your 400m time will be a challenge. Shaving 120 seconds or more of your fastest mile time will also be a challenge.

You need to train properly for this or you will end up injured or taking an extended break from running.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    30+ miles a week that's great! I usually do 15-20 a week I prob would do more if I wasn't right in town.

Your best way to get a faster mile time is to increase your weekly mileage, gradually, till you get to 35+ and do most of them slowly.
  • RyanDryFly
    RyanDryFly Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a little over a year now. When I first started I could not jog a mile. Since I started running, I've ran three half marathons, lost 65 pounds and started training for a full in December (goal time 3:15). My time has gone from 12 min miles to 7:30 min miles. The thing that has helped me the most is building up my base (a lot of slow miles every day) and speed work in the form of intervals once per week. I run 6 minute mile during my speed work. The intervals range from 400 meters to 1600 meters (1/4 mile to 1 mile) with a 400 meter recovery jog in between. The thing is it takes time and patience to get to 6 minute miles…I log on average, 50 to 60 miles per week. You can do the same thing if you are consistent and run every day. Sign up for a race and then find a training plan and stick to it rain or shine. Hal Higdon is a good place to start for free internet training plans…just Google his name and you can find a race distance you like. Good luck with your running! Hope you get as much from it as I have.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    You can run a 9-minute mile now. My suggestion is to set your sights on an 8-minute mile. The best way to get there is just to build up your weekly mileage. Once you are up to 20-30 miles per week and can run an 8-minute mile, then you can start thinking about speed work.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Time and consistency is my only suggestion. I started out in 2009 running a 13:00 min mile, and now I'm down to about an 8:50 (average mile). I say give it time, and have patience. I also think cross-training helped me tremendously get where I am. I used to do nothing but running and now I do Insanity and weight lifting on my non-running days. It's improved me as a runner so much and I never get hurt.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    30+ miles a week that's great! I usually do 15-20 a week I prob would do more if I wasn't right in town. My six mile jog hurt my right foot ( I have running shoes) I took a four day break and no longer have a foot problem while running/jogging. I'm the only person that runs almost everyday in my town. I have gotten so used to my jogs I don't get out of breath and hardly sweat, so I decided I want to go for a mile run maybe two at a faster pace to feel like I did when I started off jogging. I want to try to push myself to do more, faster, steady pace and in the long run maybe be able to go farther with my runs. I never thought I would like jogging or running but I'm glad I do, it helps me with stress and depression and to work harder at stuff I normally do like push mow the yard etc (I don't really need breaks at the same things I used to take two or three). I only wish I had someone to run with I think that would help me but most people I tell or see me running or jogging only say "you do all of that and no one is chasing you" even a cop said almost the same thing.

Everyone has given you great advice on extending mileage, adding track work outs as well as tempo runs on longer runs. But you also need to do cross training. Runners often neglect this part but you need to develop your other muscles as well to support a faster run. Swimming and biking are both great alternates.

Additionally, you are not the only person who runs in your town. It may feel that way but runners come out all hours including 4 am and at night. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. Go to a local running store and ask for info on running groups or look them up online. They are everywhere and helps to get with a group to push a pace.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means such a fast runner (my feet kind of make it impossible to be a sprinter), but the running club that I took a few years back really did improve my time. They used to concentrate on strengthening as well as endurance to get your sprinting muscles built. So don't forget to do core work and strength training even though your ultimate goal is speed on your running.

There were a lot of planks, squats, and stretching every time we ran. Good luck! I've never even approached a 6 min mile in my life! :cry:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Check out my website: www.pocketrocketrun.com

I'm a personal trainer and an athlete

Email me for more direct advice on running :)

Yeah, no.