Options

Replies

• PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    she was going in her car and the dog was in the yard almost on the side walk. wtf let me run and do me and you all continue to do races where they have them, I live in a small town no one really runs, and the only races you have to pay and it's for charity. I'm not worried about a dog bitting me not a puppy. If it's in town and not on a leash it's well trained. Maybe I sound mean but I have someone telling me to run in the road where it's not safe and someone else telling me I'm mean. and both of you look like marathon runners from your display pictures. I feel like I'm getting gained up on for one post update .I'm not killing anyone or breaking any laws. So think before you jump on me and not know the whole story. People like you two make me feel guilty for doing what I like to do. Your just as worse as cops stopping me for no reason wanting to know why I am running. I will continue to run and do me and please do not act like you never do anything wrong. At least I'm out getting exercise and having a good time before it gets to cold and I have to run on the treadmill for the remainder of the year.

I was happy to read this thread until you turned on those trying to help you. I'm out.
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    [<quote> It regularly takes me 10min to get going this is down to warming up the muscles and getting into a breathing pattern. </quote>]

Very good advice. The shorter the run the longer the WU (warm up) should be; for distances of 5k or less, the WU should be 15 min, at least. I recommend that, after the 1st 6-8 min of slow jogging (10:30/mi or slower) to get the blood circulating and muscles warmed in your legs, you add 3 sets: 20 sec strides followed by 2 min return to slow jog. After that, you should be ready to start your training exercises.

Good luck with your 6:00/mi goal!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    People like you two make me feel guilty for doing what I like to do. Your just as worse as cops stopping me for no reason wanting to know why I am running.

*kitten* the police runners say with authority - cause a runner on the street's a minority...F*ckin' with me cause I'm a middle-ager, with a GPS watch and compression socks (that last line needs some development, sorry...)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Cause it's 18:07 in front of a mutha ----in cop!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    People like you two make me feel guilty for doing what I like to do. Your just as worse as cops stopping me for no reason wanting to know why I am running.

*kitten* the police runners say with authority - cause a runner on the street's a minority...F*ckin' with me cause I'm a middle-ager, with a GPS watch and compression socks (that last line needs some development, sorry...)

That has potential. Keep working on that last line though, and your delivery needs to be a little smoother.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Your just as worse as cops stopping me for no reason wanting to know why I am running.

Cops harass you. Why do cops harass you?

YEAH! Don't get bothered with that user Zekela. She was rude to me too when I had an elliptical question.

All I said was you should pump that baby up to 60 rpms and don't go below intensity of 8.... You are a hell of a runner, you runner chick you... Stop short changing yourself and start killing your elliptical workout! Also, don't come off until you've completed at least 20 minutes!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Let me see: Maybe your breathing issue is you aren't warming up.

The police seem to be an issue which is odd if you are the only runner in your town, you'd think they'd remember you.

The 6 mile goal is ambitious but you'll get there. Carrie and Dave provided great advice.

The posters who look like marathoners probably are so can't help you there other then to say they weren't ganging up on you, just providing more solid advice.

You may benefit searching Runner's World articles. I vaguely recall a 50 year old running down(yes the pun lives) this time. He used coaches and a specific training regimen. Excellent article. And it may have been a 5 minute mile memory sucks apologies.

Last, sidewalks suck. Dogs, people, sidewalks, and night runs suck more. Common sense dictates run in the sunlight or moonlit nights. Cheers, best of luck.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

If you've come up with any more, I'd love to hear it.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    …I ran between a woman and her puppy lol

You clarified this in a followup, but I can see how people took it the wrong way. It implied that she was walking the puppy on a leash, and you ran between them. That's not cool.

In the followup, though, you said that the woman was in her car, and the puppy was on the far side of the sidewalk. I am guessing that the puppy wasn't on a leash. Even if it was, though, someone who "walks" their puppy from a car needs to control the puppy and prevent it from interfering with pedestrians.

And I hope the woman has a serious health problem that doesn't let her walk or use an electric wheelchair. If that's the case, it's good of her to make sure her puppy gets exercise. If she can walk or use a chair, and she is just too damn lazy to do so, then I feel bad for the puppy.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    …I ran between a woman and her puppy lol

You clarified this in a followup, but I can see how people took it the wrong way. It implied that she was walking the puppy on a leash, and you ran between them. That's not cool.

In the followup, though, you said that the woman was in her car, and the puppy was on the far side of the sidewalk. I am guessing that the puppy wasn't on a leash. Even if it was, though, someone who "walks" their puppy from a car needs to control the puppy and prevent it from interfering with pedestrians.

And I hope the woman has a serious health problem that doesn't let her walk or use an electric wheelchair. If that's the case, it's good of her to make sure her puppy gets exercise. If she can walk or use a chair, and she is just too damn lazy to do so, then I feel bad for the puppy.

How do we know that this puppy wasn't behind an Invisible fence and just sitting there obediently waiting for her owner to come back in the yard? Too many variables that only the OP knows and the woman in question. How about we focus less on what many have perceived to be uncool actions and focus on the OPs desire to run a 6 minute mile.
  • NowIFeelYa
    NowIFeelYa Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Not every night people are out, like tonight I ran two miles averaging around 10 mins each one, it starting to get to cold for people to be outside just hanging around. So both miles I didn't see anyone and only two cars, I didn't feel that good but still have one of the top average time for each mile on mapmyrun for my neighborhood and the fastest 1 mile by a second, only 10 people use mapmyrun in my neighborhood for running/jogging, just in case if you were wondering how small it was. Nothing is open on weekends but cvs and food places (not even the gym it closes at lunch). There isn't any running groups or any trails and the only place to buy fitness clothes or running shoes is about a hour away.
  • NowIFeelYa
    Options
    Ya I stretch but don't warm up I guess that's it.

For a small town there are ten cop cars, I would agree with you on that but they must be doing something wrong.

It may take awhile to get that good of a mile time, but I know people older then me manage to run that time or better (I'm 30)

ya I guess they were trying to get a whole story out of one post.

thanks I will check that out.

I only run at night, less traffic, less people = the less people who don't run telling me to run faster. except on weekends I no longer like to run at night on weekends everyone is drunk and like to yell rude things who see me running, they think I'm scared is why I'm running even tho they don't know I'm on my own block that I live on. as far as moonlight I run on the sidewalk usually on a back road I don't see anyone and I'm on the sidewalk because of streetlights hit the sidewalks more then the road being I don't know everyone and for a small town the crime rate is a little high I like streetlights lol
    Let me see: Maybe your breathing issue is you aren't warming up.

The police seem to be an issue which is odd if you are the only runner in your town, you'd think they'd remember you.

The 6 mile goal is ambitious but you'll get there. Carrie and Dave provided great advice.

The posters who look like marathoners probably are so can't help you there other then to say they weren't ganging up on you, just providing more solid advice.

You may benefit searching Runner's World articles. I vaguely recall a 50 year old running down(yes the pun lives) this time. He used coaches and a specific training regimen. Excellent article. And it may have been a 5 minute mile memory sucks apologies.

Last, sidewalks suck. Dogs, people, sidewalks, and night runs suck more. Common sense dictates run in the sunlight or moonlit nights. Cheers, best of luck.
  • xxEAGLExx
    Options
    Back in high school our coach had us warmup and then go run a mile before we hit the weight room. I think that first mile was close to 12 minutes... As kids we all thought it was crazy at first until it got easy. Then we all wanted to hurry up and get the mile over so we had more time to lift weights.. by the end of that first year most of us were running in the 6 minute range while a couple of the serious guys were capable of sub 5 minute miles.
  • NowIFeelYa
    Options
    Back in high school our coach had us warmup and then go run a mile before we hit the weight room. I think that first mile was close to 12 minutes... As kids we all thought it was crazy at first until it got easy. Then we all wanted to hurry up and get the mile over so we had more time to lift weights.. by the end of that first year most of us were running in the 6 minute range while a couple of the serious guys were capable of sub 5 minute miles.

When I was in high school I was way skinnier then I am now but never had the energy and gave out of breath to quickly to run the whole mile. Most of my gym class would walk the whole mile, there would be one or two people in my gym class that were on the track team that ran it really well. It always seemed easier when I was in high school, I would eat until my stomach was hurting and not gain weight so I didn't exercise much other then playing basketball during gym time and at home with friends. I find it that I'm doing very well maybe not crazy fast times but in the beginning of the year I had a hard time fast walking a mile :-)
  • xxEAGLExx
    Options
    I'm just getting back in proper shape after a back injury that had me in pretty bad shape for about 4 years..

It will take a few months to get down to my goal weight, but I do plan on getting some running in, I'm
    sure that first mile isn't going to be easy. Any day that you make an improvement is a good day.
  • NowIFeelYa
    Options
    Good luck! sorry about your back injury, it will be hard to begin, but worth it , I can run well over a hour and the time while I'm running seems to be the fastest hour of the day/night.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think this is a fantastic goal! I've been running for years and years and was always at a 10 minute pace. Over the last year, I quit a lot of running and put on a considerable amount of weight. As I've been losing the weight, I've incorporated at least one sprint workout per week and started lifting heavy weights.

Can you believe I clocked an 8:48 minute mile the other day? And it felt like my effort was that of a 10 minute mile! I sincerely think the weights and speed work has contributed to this. I also want to say I think sooo much of running is psychological. I think I held myself back because I told myself "I'm just a 10-minute/mile pace runner." I think you're light years ahead because you're ALREADY envisioning yourself as a fast runner. That's half the battle. I'm just starting to wonder where my potential might be now!
  • NowIFeelYa
    Options
    thanks, I hope I can reach it, I have been running ten min pace also for a few miles, I thought I was just jogging compared to other people but searched it and most people believe when you get to ten mins a mile or better you are running. So I thought that was cool, I lift weights some not as much as I should but I guess I do ok with it, I lift about three sometimes four times a week.

That's great, that's a good time, when I hit 8:52 seconds I enjoyed going faster because it was cool outside and the wind was blowing the faster I ran the better it felt. I think it's too, I don't think I would of made it this far if I didn't actually like running and kept at it. Last year and the years before it about five years that has past I would of never pictured myself running. Older people would tell me about there accomplishments in school like being on a sports team or on the track and I thought I wish I could run and do all of that physical activity but didn't actually picture myself doing it. If I get to a 7 or a 7:30 min mile I will be really happy, I know I will keep running/sprinting, running a mile as fast as I can and going for distance runs too. I know we all get better doing something by keeping at it. I think you will get a even faster mile!
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Long ago in the last century we used "intervals" to get to a goal pace. You are teaching your body to run a certain pace.
    Find some part of a mile that you can hold a 6 min pace.
    Find a 1/4 mile track . A six min/mile pace for a 1/4 mile is 90 sec. Can you do that? OK. do about 6-8 quarters at that pace with an easy jog or walk between each one. Or if you can't do a 1/4 mile at pace do a set of 220 yards at 45 sec or 110 yards at 22-23 sec. Resting/jog/walk in between. Warm up/Streach good before these fast runs as you are putting a lot more pressure on your body.
    As your body gets used to running this pace run more intervals or make them a little longer distance but at your goal pace.
    In High School track we did these along with distance runs in the same day . As an adult I did them as "hard days" and left off one my long runs. Go on with your hard/easy runs and rest days and maybe work a track day in on an easy day .
    Remember it takes time and hard work.
    Good Luck:smile: