WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2014

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well my friends, we seem to be gradually getting used to the new format. I guess they still have some work to do on it.
    Cynthia - you can get the flower by typing a colon: then with no spaces flowerforyou and then another colon. :flowerforyou:
    - I am doing my ticker on my tablet by copying the BBCode in the ticker box by dragging and tapping, (with difficulty) and then pressing my finger where it wants to go and pressing the little paste box. Easier on Windows. As long as I don't copy anything else all I have to do now is press and paste. I hope they sort that out.

Sylvia - you are so talented!

Cynthia - lovely to see your furry friend! :flowerforyou:

Joyce - you have tranformed yourself! :smile:

Barbie - have a great trip! :heart:

Katla - impressed with DH'S improvement so soon! :drinker:

Renny - depression is a horrible thing. I suffered with it on and off a lot of my life and now my son has it. He seems to be improving now as I can see he is tweeting again! ! ! ! A family curse. :frowning: I hope you soon turn the corner, which you will. :flowerforyou:

I am still developing a cold, but got in most of my exercise this morning. I only did half the strength training. :crying: Still around 535 altogether so I can eat! I've got leftovers from the delicious chicken and cauliflower bake I did yesterday, so I will have that for lunch with my grain mix I froze. Sausages for dinner with broccoli and a homemade red pepper and fresh tomato sauce. I will only have two sausages.
    I was going to have my passport photo taken this afternoon, but I will have to see how I look with my cold! :laugh:
    My girlfriends approve of my hotel choice! :drinker:

Got to wash my hair and finally finish unpacking so I can put the suitcase away! :blushing:
    DH always does it the minute he gets back!

Heather in gusty and showery Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Saving my place. I still don't like the new format :\ !
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All;
    I haven't been on for awhile but I do look at the posts when I can..still not feeling well but I have finally faced facts..this is my life from now on....others have it much much worse then me.....
    Boy have they changed this and I am not sure if it is better or not.....Yesterday I called our cable provider...some people have been getting promotions and my son was actually changing his when the one he is using now called him and offered him a lot of things to stay with them...we have been with them for years and haven't had any freebies that long.....so I called and told them about such and such getting promos...so they made up some for us....for a year we get wireless cable...some new box that just came out that will allow me to tape shows even from my computer.....and a few more features...they are coming on Tuesday so we have to watch what we have taped now because they take this cable box.....and I need some oomph...so I can get my home cleaned up before then....with not feeling well the housework has been sporadic....but winter is coming and having some new channels to watch is worth the work...
    The leaves are dressing up and they are beautiful...I have a great view of them from the deck....I pray you all have a great weekend coming up....and stay well so you can enjoy the lovely Fall weather B)

Liz from Halifax NS (Canada)
    eauf3cnqkp39.jpg
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Still learning some of the ins and outs of this new system. Learned that if go to bookmarks (the gray star in the upper right hand corner). Click on it and bookmarks will appear. (To get a topic bookmarked you need to click on the star by the title of the topic you are interested in viewing again. The star will turn yellow when it is bookmarked.) If you click on all bookmarks at the bottom It will make a list like you used to get with my topics. Not user friendly, :grumble:. Hopefully they will figure an easier way for us to find our topics. My Topics filled that bill. My Discussions only gives you the topics you have started.

Today I am reading about beans, peas, and other legumes in Eating on the Wildside, so that I can make better choices when I shop.

2014 word:contentment

:heart: MNMargaret

28257843.png

• jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Nice pics everyone!

Here are my doggies, Timber & Rugby, at the coast last weekend. As we walked down the beach, we came across this driftwood shelter someone had made, fun stuff! Had a great time, perfect weather!

Still figuring out how to put up a full size photo...

Happy Thurs!

:laugh: (had to try it)

jb in the beautiful PNW :glasses:

• Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • margaretturk
    Options
    jb when I clicked on the tag your photo became full size. I don't get the size differences in the photos either.

Darling doggies.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Trying to learn,but have no time,so will figure it out next week. Going to see if the wt loss ticker works. Pat

44087244.png
  • paintedlady52
    paintedlady52 Posts: 12 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

New here from 2 weeks ago and it feels like a weird foreign country where I am an invisible participant and watcher. (Scratches head and looks puzzled)

Everyone speaks a different language and no one is listening to anyone else. I've seen some people reply to other people in a supportive way but on the whole this doesn't seem to happen much. Yet people still log on and post their updates. (More puzzlement)

Should I have been invited to be in this group? :\

Or am I missing something? :\

I'd be grateful for any info.

Am posting a cute animal pic (of my two rescue cats) as this seems to be valid foreign currency. :)

Please excuse if I seem flippant but it does all feel a bit weird. Like being in a crowd but being lonely in a crowd.

Joy in the UK

8lsgxwfrx5a0.jpg
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    OK, caught up once again! Cynthia and jb and Mimi (and anyone I may have missed) love the family and dog pics!!! They make me smile and think again of maybe, just maybe, having another dog.

Got home last night after 10pm. The cross country meet was good; we have some very fast boys this year!! In one heat, I believe over 50 came in under 20 min. BTW---Gone Girl the other day was really good; enjoyed it a lot.

Two of the media sources I contacted have come thru with free publicity for the race I'm working with in Nov.; we are all very happy with that. Also scored another sponsorship for the race from a business last night.......happy, happy dance!!!

DD has had another job offer; a horse farm owner we have known for years has decided to try to hire her away from the current barn job. Oh, the drama going on is a lot more than what is warrented. I pass on getting involved.

There are several current interviews with Peter Piot anyone interested can read that have hit various news outlets by googling. He is the man who co-discovered and named the Ebola virus in 1976. His thoughs on todays situation are sobering, to say the least.

Stay strong!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

PS What is a BBCode????

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Grrr! I typed a long reply and lost it! Darn.

Joy, Love the kitties! I don't know what kind of support you are needing. We all love to hear what everyone is up to. Sometimes we have time to comment and sometimes we don't. Not everybody comments on every thing. I'm sorry if you feel like you're in a foreign country. I feel a little like that right now with the change in format. I think we're all a little stumped by the whole process. Please post more about what's going on in your life. Whatever interests you or concerns you. And more pictures of cats are always good!

JB, LOVE those doggies, too! They look like real characters.

Cynthia, love your dog too. And very nice floor. Love the color.

YannieJannie, we watched the PBS show on Ebola last night. Jeepers Creepers! It was scary.

My fitbit was back to normal this morning. It wasn't in sleep mode. I know that one and this was a different light pattern. I plugged it in overnight, even though it didn't need it, and it was all better this morning. Must have had a little bug.

We never got the rain they were predicting, so we got to walk this morning. Then went to the Y for the weights, then walked some more. And wet to the store to get snacks for the kids who are coming over to the studio after school to do another clay project. That should be fun.

Well, I have to get busy. Have a great day everyone.

Sylvia

• paintedlady52
    paintedlady52 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello..... ?
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Hello painted lady52!

YannieJannie, I just noticed that the box where you copy and save the link to the tickers is labeled BBCode. No idea what it stands for.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker/finished

Here is today's Joke of the day:

:smile:

A famous lawyer, who had been a public defender for years, dies. He finds himself standing at the back of an enormous queue outside the gates of Heaven. The queue before him is enormous. The number of people who die in a single day appalls him. He can barely see St Peter sitting up on a podium outside the gates with a large book. Every now and then St Peter glances down the queue to see how he is doing. Suddenly he catches the eye of the lawyer. He looks very surprised. He jumps down from the podium and comes running along the line until, slightly out of breath, he arrives beside the lawyer.

He embraces him. He pulls him out of the queue and motions for him to come to the front of the queue. Another person questions what is happening and another angel speaks to the person. Word is passed along the queue and the lawyer is surprised, as people start nodding and clapping. He becomes embarrassed by all the attention and asks St Peter why he is getting the special attention.

St Peter stops suddenly and looks concerned.

"You are a lawyer aren't you?'

"Yes" the lawyer replies. "Does this happen to all lawyers in heaven?"

"Oh, no, "Said St Peter. "It's just you are the first one to ever get here."

:laugh:

45477098.png
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    So I finally got the pharmacy fiasco about my anti-depressants sorted out. They wanted to charge me brand name pricing for a generic because of the formulation (tablets vs. capsules) so my doctor resubmitted the script and instead of $61.00 it was only $5.00. :bigsmile: So I started them today. Now I am having issues getting a counselor set up to work with me. No one ever said that this journey would be easy. :laugh:

Thank you all for the warm welcome back. This thread had been such a part of my life for so long. I missed you all. Glad to see you returned to the fold as well, Sister Veggie Queen. I like MimiPersists as well.

due to Bodi's injury last may he has incontinence problems. anyone have any good ideas on how to keep everything from smelling like urine. I clean the floors all the time but I just can't seem to get the house smelling fresh.

No matter what I still love him to pieces
    0w6wk19w15bm.jpg

Olivia is growing up so fast. Here is her first Mani Pedi at the salon when I was down visiting.58txjssf69oq.jpg

and here is Andelane who just turned 1. She was very unhappy that the birthday sundae was all gone. I love the look on my daughter's face. h0amnrb7atdw.jpg

I really need to get back into the habit of drinking water at home. :grumble:

Robin, Bodi and Ritter

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    Options
    Hi Joy from the UK
    Sorry we seem a bit preoccupied at the minute. It's because of all the new changes on this site and so many of us are thrown by it! We're all going round in circles! ! ! ! I think some people haven't managed to find their way back to us at all. :'(
    Normally we just plunge right in and talk about our lives. Some people are good at replying, others less so. I am sort of in the middle. :embarassed:
    Like any new group it can be difficult to get comfortable at first. I have been here two and a half years and some were well established when I joined. For me, from the UK, I love hearing about the lives of women in different parts of the USA and beyond. It all seems quite exotic to me and I have learnt such a lot!
    I don't know if you are having these gusty storms, but our electricity went off with a huge thunderclap overhead, but came back on again. Internet also. LOTS of downpours. I didn't go out for my passport photo as I would have looked like a drowned rat. :laugh:
    My cold is getting the better of me. Had a nap and am fit for nothing but lying on the sofa.

Heather in Hampshire UK
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    It's another sunny day in south Florida! Got in a nice 40 minute walk among the mangroves.

Starting a natural history class tonight and I am looking forward to learning more about Florida's plants and animals.

Before my knees gave out, I had a fantastic job monitoring frogs, salamanders and birds. Best job everr!

Margareturk - Thank you for your helpful posts about how to use this new system.

Sylvia - Have a great trip!

Drkatiebug; bjkidfun, janemartin02, et al!!! - I can identify with the frustration. I am taking incremental steps to figure this thing out - it could take awhile.

eveadams721 - That up and down stuff is the story of my life! Good for you that you don't give up; I think that's all we can do is hang in there.

gardengail - So sorry to hear about your nephews health problem. I hope everything turns out OK and he has an easy time of finding his "new normal."

exermom - high 5 for throwing away 3/4 of the cookie!

AlaskaSusan - Great job on your weight loss whilst on vacation!

DebinMelbourne - Great burn!

Liz - Oh so cute picture of the kitty!

Paintedlady52: Cute picture of kitties in a box. Just jump in and post! I'm new too and I'm treating everyone as if they are my long-time friends.

Mary in south Florida

• mollywhippet
    Options
    Robin,

Your girls are beautiful!

My DIL has a little yorkie dog with incontinence. She made a little fabric thing that wraps around his abdomen and fastens with velcro. Inside that she puts a small woman's period pad. It works really well and keeps him from having accidents in the house. With Bodi you might need a bigger maxi pad, though. She actually made several, so she can change his "pants".

Have you been on antidepressants before? If so, you know it takes a little time to get into your system. I hope you react well to this one. I had some trouble finding just the right one, but once I found it, it was like night and day. It made such a huge difference and very few troublesome side effects. Good luck and let us know how things are going.

Sylvia

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Dear Joy, I'm sorry you feel this is a non-supportive group. Have you looked around the rest of the site? I've found this by far the most supportive group around here.
    Possible explanations for people being preoccupied: one, we're all trying to get used to the new forum situation. Two, a lot of us are dealing with pretty big things at the moment. Three, well, tell us about yourself. Then we'll have things to talk about! :)
    It might also be helpful to realize that a lot of us live in different time zones, work at least one job, etc., so it might take a bit to get back to you. Just sit tight. And post cat pix. :)

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Joy - Love your kitty picture. I have a solid black cat, too. Her name is Spot. (No, I'm not stupid, just unfunny--her full name is Inkspot.) You don't need to be invited; we all just happened by and decided it was a good place to stay.

I have an appointment with an attorney in about 40 minutes to be sure of my 'legalities' if I decide to walk away from the house. I'm nervous. Not because I'm scared of what he will say but simply from having to meet someone new. Introvertedness at its worst!

At my second job, one of my coworkers unexpectedly lost his wife on Monday, so some of us are going to the visitation at 5 p.m. I hate those visits but I really like my coworker, so I will put on my big girl pants and do the right thing. I'm going with other coworkers so that should help. I have a haircut appointment at 6 p.m. in the same town so I'm going to drive by myself so I don't waste gas.

Here is a picture of my son when he was nine. For those of you who saw his graduation picture, I'm sure you'll notice just a bit of change. LOL

• margaretturk
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Bump