WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2014

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Lost my post! :sad:

Wanted to tell Joyce, what a heart warming story! I hope all goes well for Michelle and her new man. :flowerforyou:

Also Cynthia - My DH has found his daily mindfulness meditations a huge help. He uses the CD that comes with the book
    - MINDFULNESS, a practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world.
    - by Mark Williams and Danny Penman.

There are 8 different meditations, none of which take very long. He does one every day before dinner. He likes the CD because it is not New Agey, just practical.

Well, I had said a lot more, but that will do. :laugh:

Heather in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    . I walked over 3,000 steps (which for me is really, really good - about 1.75 more than I usually can) so I am feeling powerful and awesome! Is it okay for me to be proud of myself? Because I am. Anyway, I weigh myself tomorrow and am hoping for a good number.

]

:smile: Donna, I keep track of my steps, calories, pounds lost, minutes of exercise, and anything else that I do to reach and maintain my healthy weight and fitness....I am my own best audience and cheerleader....the more I cheer for myself, the more I want to continue to do the things that work. Be proud of yourself and you'll keep doing the right stuff. Then come here and tell us and we'll cheer for you.
    :smiley: I walk a lot of steps each day now, but I started just like you--with a pedometer and a happy attitude every time my numbers went up...it is a great mindset to think of walking when you have extra time instead of sitting.

:D Barbie from NW Washington where we need warmer clothes now to walk outside

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morn,all. This wk end is tons of sun.Looking for 2 days of near 80*,then back to the 50s

DD & SIL sail on a cruise today,out of Boston.Oldest Grson is home alone. At 22,not a big deal to him.He works full time. Asked him to dinner tomor.Just got a lot of meat out of freezer to make chili.This guy is a huge eater & skinny as a rail.Will send leftovers home with him.

Several ppl mentioned needing a new mattress. We had the Sleep Number bed for 8 yrs.We have a king size,so there are 2 seperate air bags...or whatever they are called.Even tho the number stayed where set,both sides developed a "scoop".Nothing worked.Took it apart 3 times,called the company etc.I have several replacement parts ( on me,not the bed. LOL).On the scoop,leg from knee to ankle had nothing under it for support & started waking with sore hip.Decided the bed had to go. DH can sleep anywhere,so was mostly my problem.

Tried to educate myself about diff mattresses.That is a joke.They tell you right out,the mfgr sells them named "Glory",then puts a diff name on the bunch for Sears,for Macy etc till there is no way to compare them.Maybe some day we will get laws about that little deal :\

Slept 9 hrs last nt,8 hrs Fri.

Meg,feel better soon. Hope all goes well for your DD.

Keep meaning to write things down,so to respond.So far,just a thought .

Alison,nice pic.

Well,just wks till Thanksgiving & the Christmas season. The yr has gone so fast.Have
    Nothing done,no plans made. :\ Lazy is me. Pat
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Just got back from my walk. It's a beautiful day, and is predicted to be 86 today. Nice for the end of October.

The baseball game last night was pretty messy, and the Royals managed to lose. I used to love baseball so much that I scheduled my Air Force basic training around the World Series.
    (My secret ambition was to be the first woman catcher - for the Oakland A's - in the major leagues, but of course that never happened.). Then they started having all those players strikes, and I got annoyed and stopped following it. Just in the last couple of years I started watching a few games but now I don't know who these people are. Where the heck is Rollie Fingers? I'm such a dinosaur.

We are leaving the lake to go home about noon, then spend the afternoon with the kids. Next weekend is Hubby's birthday and I said I would tell the kids we couldn't spend that Sunday with them because it's grandpas birthday and we are going to do something special, just the two of us. (I thought they were a bother to him, because he doesnt get anything done while they are there. ) Well, hubby was aghast! He said, you mean I won't get to see them on my birthday? So, we are going out for his birthday dinner on Saturday and have them over on Sunday as usual. I will make hubby's favorite angel food cake and strawberries.).

I'm coming up on 500 days on MFP very soon, but I don't know where to find that info. I got a message a couple of days ago reminding me to post to save my 497 day streak, so I'm thinking it's today or tomorrow. That's a long time! I know I've never stuck with a health plan that long before. 60 days, maybe.

Well, I have to get stuff done and pack up to go home. I hope you are all having a great morning!

Sylvia

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cynthia: I suspect that sugar is one of the addictive properties that keeps alcoholics coming back for more. Alcohol turns to sugar in the digestive process if I understand correctly. I know that sugar leads to more sugar when I have it. :ohwell:

Heather: Sorry that you lost your post. That is so frustrating! :flowerforyou:

We have a pretty morning after an impressive windstorm yesterday. There was heavy rain, too. Some of our neighbors are down on the docks now picking up the debris that was left after their dock-box blew apart. It looks like they’re reassembling it. It was a popular item sold in garden stores a few years ago, and I’ll bet it is still on the market. It is made of plastic and has an openable lid as well as dutch doors on the front. The design needs a more sheltered location and is quite vulnerable to wind. They don’t do well in strong wind, at all. We’ve seen others just like theirs blown apart on the docks before. :ohwell:

I didn’t sleep well last night. I was lying on my left shoulder and it started to hurt really bad, so I moved downstairs to the couch and faced the other direction. Pat, I really appreciate your comments on the sleep number bed. I’ve wondered about the very issue that is bothering you. We used to have a waterbed tube mattress and I loved it. I wish I could find another just like it. :heart:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Spent yesterday raking and hauling leaves for mom and dad. They appreciated the cleanup and I got a lot of good exercise. Today back to the purge and organizing. Want to finish before Thanksgiving as the celebration will be here. Also need to make more yogurt. DH and I both love it and seem to be going through a lot!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Deb A in CNY
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!Had a great time at the party yesterday,Tired today,not doing much,went to church.
    My girlfriend was there,she`s in a wheel chair now and oxygen 24/7,broke down when I saw her.I guess,I have been in denial she is so sick.
    HUGS
    jane
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    This past week was a blurr and today I am having trouble getting motivated. There were 3 trips to San Jose (1 hour each way); one was my DN(nephew)'s football game, it had a serious injury ambulance, medics..... that was a long game; then yesterday was a celebration of life, and scattering of ashes - 1.5 hour drive each way + event = 11 hours and of course 2 three hour gardening jobs, and all the embroidery... I am tired. But today is dog walk (done), sewing, and going with a friend to see a show at our local theatre - a musical called Avenue Q - I had never heard of it, but the blurb sounds good.

We had measurable rain yesterday!!! Yeah!!!! so nice to see, and today is cool but sunny and crisp - fall is in the air!

Donna – GREAT NSV (non scale victory) walking that many steps above your “normal” is amazing!

Cynthia – I am like you if it fits in your calorie + limits eat it… but sugar is one that seems to give a lot of folks trouble; pre MFP I did a sweet based breakfast (donut, coffee cake, fruit pie) but gave that up and while not super careful I try to put off the “big” sugar as late in the day as I can and that seems to keep me from wanting as much.. I am sorry about the ankle issue!!! Sending you a big virtual (((((Hug)))))

Sylvia – early congrats on 500 days; stay around for the next 500 please

to everyone I missed and all needing a bit of cheer :wink: Happy Fall, we can overcome our struggles and share the celebration and pain in this village "women ages 50+" :heart_eyes: to all!

October Goals:
    Breathe
    Log every day
    Walk every day

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Jane - you are full of love. <3 it hurts to see our dearest friends in trouble.

Katla - hope your shoulder clears up! I have a sore lower back. It's a long while since that happened. :ohwell:

Kim - don't do too much! :flowerforyou:
    I have been angsting about the KitchenAid. :tongue: I dont feel it is a joint present, but too expensive just for me. Also, my heart yearns for the ice blue, but glossy black would go better with our other stuff we have on the worktops.
    We still haven't heard back from the birthday venue. :grumble;: I have lots of ideas for minimising the work we might have to do, but can't plan until we know if it's a done deal. I intend to make it as easy as possible. The important thing is that DH should be able to relax and enjoy it, but I don't want to be worn our either. I have a few ideas. Self catering for such large numbers can be fun, but has disadvantages!

Someone else was cooking chilli tonight. :flowerforyou: We had ours with butternut squash. :love:

Did a bit of typing this afternoon. o:) I am making heavy weather of this!

Love Heather in Hampshire UK
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    After seeing how long Syvia said she has been on. MFP a, I decided to see how long I have been here. I signed up November 1,2012 I'm not sure how long it took me to find you guys. I don't know why MFP a doesn't could every day. I believe I have logged on and done something here. But I think the latest count they have given me is something like 30 days.

Wonderful sunny day. I think we have another one tomorrow then fall comes back again.

Joyce, Indiana
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Katla,we also had the tube waterbed & loved it.We sold a lot of furniture when Dh retired & we traveled with Rv for a number of yrs. He didn't think the tubes would hold up thru storage after being dried & folded.

Have a 3" foam rubber pad on our bed & guest room bed.It just went down in the scoop :'(
    On nights when hip hurt alot,been known to take my pillow,sleep on sofa ....maybe....then on to guest room.Hub called me the ghost who wanders at nt :D Pat

PS This is the brand we had.http://www.thewaterbeddoctor.com/somma-waterbeds.aspx
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! Yesterday was a good day calorie wise, just over and I can live with that. Better then several hundred or thousand. So feeling good about that. My sister sent me a picture yesterday of my dad's marker. They put a picture of mom and dad on the back that was taken at their church not long before dad got sick.Looks nice. Now I have the job of letting my brother know and ask if he is willing to pay his share. Not sure I may just pay it and no one else needs to know. What's one more bill!
    I have to vent just a minute. I work in an office with 15 people. We are staffed 24/7 so we do not all work at the same time. This morning for the second time this week I cleaned. Wiped everything down and cleaned the floor. Now I found gum on the floor beside the trash can. Also cleaning rags behind the can for them. You would think you would pick this stuff up if you missed the can. No they just leave them. Our night staff is to clean at night, but they don't. So now I feel better, I can work in an dirty office. I always wipe down my station when I get to work. Thanks for listening.

Kataniki--Good to hear son is doing well since surgery. Take care of you as it is stressful to be the parent and caregiver.

I track my weight on MFP and my date book with my schedule. I also keep in the back some of the weights from last year to compare. I am sad to say this month I will weigh more at the end of the month then at the first. But back on track so hoping next month will be better. I went in under reports today just to check things out and printed out the graph for my weight for the last year this date. Interesting as I have made big loss for the year.

Joyce--sounds like Michelle has met a very nice caring man and that is the most important thing.

Jane--Hugs

Sylvia--congrates on the 500 days. Time goes by so fast.

Time to sign off for today. I am off tomorrow and want to clean house and go to the bank. Take care ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • mrsmuckster
    mrsmuckster Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've been getting PT on Achilles tendinosis for 3 months. My PT said I can start out walking again for exercise. Walked 20 minutes today without pain (Yea!) good sign, excited that this should help with the weight loss and make me feel better all around.
    Visiting daughter in Phoenix, AZ this weekend and back to northeast Washington later this week.

• amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Just a quickie... not been a good day at all! :s
    Too cold... miserable and everything that can ache is aching!!
    Ate far too much and expect I'll have a whopping big increase in my weight tomorrow when I have my weekly weigh... not good... despite my continual starting off really well in the morning everything seems to go pear shaped by lunch time!
    Ah well! Tomorrow's another day!

Hope you all had a good day.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »

MrsMizart and other newbies: Welcome! This is a multinational bunch of the nicest women in the world. We have members from the UK, Canada, the US, Australia & Tasmania. The weight comes off

30881843.png

Thank you!

I've found y'all again :smiley: l keep getting lost on here.

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm coming up on 500 days on MFP very soon, but I don't know where to find that info. I got a message a couple of days ago reminding me to post to save my 497 day streak, so I'm thinking it's today or tomorrow. That's a long time! I know I've never stuck with a health plan that long before. 60 days, maybe.

Sylvia

(*) That is awesome Sylvia. Congratulations!! Love reading your posts and jokes.

Before the recent changes, you could see, underneath a person's picture on the forum, the month/year when a person started on MFP. I always liked seeing that. The number of days in a row of logging is less meaningful to me, so I have turned that feature off. There are times I take a break from MFP, but it does not mean I take a break from healthy living. However, all of this is just my own preference. I know it may be different for others.

(*) amyllu - It is tough when aches and pains interfere with good eating habits. You can break through that barrier, by holding on a little longer each day. Indeed tomorrow is another day. That is a good attitude to have, because you won't give up. We are here to support each other.

(*) Katla and others on the northwest coast. We have also been the recipient of wind and rain. It has cleared up now, but there is supposed to be more to come.

I have been making a list of potential activities. It started out as a list for when I retire, but there is nothing to stop me from starting on some of them. One was ice skating. I tried that yesterday afternoon. I think it may have been 35-40 years sinceI have been on the ice. I took a stabilizer (not sure what they are called) with me to slide in front of me, so I would not fall. I think I looked kind of silly because only little kids were using them, and here was I. But it was so awesome, I want to do it again. I am certain I will get better at it.

We had a different Jazzercise instructor this morning. I think I accidentally called her "destructor" when I came home. Very nice gal of course, it had nothing to do with her, just moves I was not familiar with.

<3 My DD and her cute toddler and adorable baby are over today. All of them are napping right now. I remember how tiring it was with a couple of little ones needing mom 24/7.

ttyl
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Jane: I’m sorry the sight of your DF upset you to the point of tears. :cry: Sometimes our emotions seem to simply take over. It seems like a triumph for her to get to church. :flowerforyou:

Kim: Congratulations on measurable rain. I hope it is a signal of change ending your drought. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: 500 Days! WAHOO!!! You are a star! :star::star::star:

Pat: We had a Soma waterbed like that, too. I want another! I wonder if it is possible to find one. :love:

Renny: The wind put on quite a show. We were ready for it and had no damage. That wasn’t true in many places in our area. Some of our friends had damage to their items stored on the docks. I hope you had no problems. Enjoy your DGC. :flowerforyou:

Chicken for dinner tonight. DH wants to bake it. Fine by me. DD will be here in just a few days, and I’ve discovered several conflicts on the calendar. One of them is pedicures for DH and me. I’m planning to give mine to DD and reschedule for myself later. She and dad can sit together and be pampered. :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Had a lovely Sunday drive with husband and dog yesterday. We drove along the coast to Ulverstone and had a doggy walk on River Road. Then drove through Devonport, Wesley Vale to Hawley Beach. We had another walk on the beach and Mildred beagle ran on the sand and paddled in the sea. She is 11.5 years but looked like a puppy. She LOVES our Sunday drives, she sits on her blanket in back of our Subaru and looks through 3 windows.
    Roast beef was NOT good according to hubby but Mildred enjoyed it. Ah well no more beef on Sundays.
    Back to salad and egg for breakfast, got used to it now. Squid and salad for lunch, steak and veg for dinner.
    Was raining really hard this morning so no walk and stayed in bed enjoying warmth and listening to rain on metal roof.
    This just walking is some getting used to. Will be glad when I see dietitian and doctor a week on Wednesday. Will be glad to eat Jeannette Jenkin's food again and NOT be regimented, but promised the doctor, plus go back to my training again.
    Found on FitBit that my salad is 9.5 g fibre, that is good as MFP said ) g.
    Pensions in bank tomorrow and have MORE salad stuffs on the shopping list. as well as tinned fish for lunches.
    I keep away from sugar and use Natvia which the doctor approves of. Plus honey and maple syrup (on yogurt)
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good evening, all,

Lunch for volunteers today, squashed a well meaning person's suggestion that I go on the board. I do three volunteer groups (on one board) that I'm heavily involved in and one that I'm just lightly involved.........can't possibly take on more, and don't want to. Lately have been saying yes when I really mean no and that has to stop.......the words that I will do this or that just seem to fly out of my mouth and later I'm asking myself what in the world was I thinking. I have volunteeritis!!!! Must use cure---the word is no.

Michele.......Hope your body temp has regulated itself by now and you are back to your normal.

Joyce..........and others with mattress advice and comments.......DH says no foam, gel, water, or air.........that pretty much only leaves the old kind.......sigh!!! I need to just buy one and get it over with.......sick of coming down to the couch in the middle of the night. I really need someone to test the bed with me, right now the main problem is every time he moves the my whole side gets all the movement too (probably because it's soooo darn firm!!) and it seems even more exaggerated.........drives me nuts!!!! Wakes me up all night.
    Joyce, I'm glad Michele has found someone who makes her happy....best to both of them.

Cynthia.......You do have alot of heavy duty stress right now......((((hugs))). I've found some relaxation videos on youtube useful or maybe you could treat yourself to a massage.

Sylvia........How sweet that your DH wants the kids at his birthday!

janemartin.......((((((Hugs))))))), horrible shock for you.......

Heather.......The ice blue is my fav too!

G'nite, all!!!
    yanniejannie

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of an intermediate pilates DVD today. Tomorrow's plan is to do more of the Butt Lift DVD, hold my plank, and then take the extremepump class.

barbie - I downloaded that app. Thanks for telling me about it

Joyce - that is so very nice of you to open your arms to Michelle's new guy. But then again, that is so much like you.

I'm wondering if you need to post "bump". When I've been on the computer at the community at MFP but then had to go away, when I logged in again it took me to where I'd left off.

Got this card in the mailbox that they're having a neighborhood covered dish. In the past they've had these cookouts but they usually said that they provided the hot dogs, etc. The charge $20. This time they're charging $10, it's a covered dish and no mention was made of hot dogs, etc. So I called to see if perhaps this was an error. But I was told the $10 was to cover the drinks and paper goods. Come on..it does not cost $10 for a soda/water and a paper plate/cups/silverware. When I told her that I was head of hospitality of an organization and I knew it didn't cost that much, that's when she told me they were thinking of having a bouncy house for the kids (like I'm going to use that), and to cover the cost of the candy/pinata. This is the day after Halloween! All the candy will be on sale half price! Like kids need more candy! I have a feeling we're not going to go. And they're just "thinking" of a bouncy house...shouldn't reservations have been made already? It's only from 4-6 so only 2 hours.

katla - maybe your decorations aren't as elaborate as they used to be, but they're personalized, and to me that makes them that much nicer. I know that homeless shelters usually will take sweets -- it helps alcoholics with their cravings for the exact reason you stated...alcohol turns to sugar. I thought we were the only ones with a Soma waterbed. We have the cylinders so the ones on my side of the bed are more full with water than Vince's (since I like the bed harder). How nice of you to give your pedicure to your daughter!

Michele in NC