WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2014

Options

Replies

• fit_abbey
    fit_abbey Posts: 24
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi All. I'm in the midst of a late evening craving for sweets. I'm trying instead to do a bit of posting, and will drink some iced tea, and see if a bit of time between me and my craving will actually make the dang craving disappear.

I am doing OK with my tracking my calories. This is not my first weight-loss rodeo, so I already have a well used mental tablet in place for remembering what I've eaten during the day, which then can be transferred here as the day progresses. I can be a bit excessive in my calorie-math, too, such as learning how many calories it takes to maintain a certain weight [Mayo Clinic's Calorie Calculator http://www.mayoclinic.org/calorie-calculator/ITT-20084939 ], and then watching how many calories less I've consumed in order to add up to the 3500 calorie-deficient loss of a pound of weight. Of course, as you get lighter, you have to revisit the calculator to enter new personal stats. As we know, it takes less eaten calories to maintain 130 pounds than it does to maintain 230 pounds.

I use food as a comfort, one that is handy and tasty too. What a combo to beat. :( I try not to dwell on it in every posting, but my husband just recently passed away and I am now home alone (kids are grown). When I am sitting here alone, sad, and facing reality, it is sure tempting to want to enjoy some comfort food. The stress of the past couple of years has resulted in my current weight of 150. So, not only I am sad, but also overweight.

Thanks for listening. Or that is, reading this. I'll work on being more responsive to other people's postings, I'm still in my learning curve here and need to work on that.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Abbey~ so sorry to hear of your loss.. my dearest condolences, I am a stress and emotional eater myself and I have put on about 10 lbs in the last month or so and havent been exercising..
    I have been so busy doing stuff for others than I have gotten away from taking care of myself, if you cant take care of yourself ,how are you going to take care of anyone else..
    I got home from work last night and the DH says well you have to get the lawn done tomorrow, I have to work at 12:30 and I dont know if the lawn will be dryed out by then, will see what the weather is for tomorrow and if it is ok, will have to do it then..
    slept pretty well last night and feel much more myself.. this past weekend wore me out and it took me a day to recover..
    sylvia~ such a good idea about the safe haven.. I feel so bad for your family having to go through that.. and I hope his wife gets what she deserves..
    I filled out paperwork and will have to drop it off at the drs maybe tomorrow for the dr to fill out, they will probably want me in there and get a flu shot..
    I would like to find a treadmill or something to have at the house ,but free or cheap
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It isn't quite 4am, and I am awake and wishing I was sleeping. The house is quiet and I woke up feeling as if I may be coming down with a cold. Eyes itch, slight headache and so forth. DD and kids arrived and brought germs with them. :ohwell: I love seeing them and they're worth it. :heart:
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Starting over ... again ... sigh.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    Joyce do you have wifi. I am writing this from our chrome book. I use this in the morning to read your posts, Mon. and Tues. I read the paper on line, I read books on the browser. When I want to write a more detailed reply. I use our other computer where I have saved a word document. You do have to set a gmailaccount on it. It is free to do so. A chrome book is vastly cheaper than a lap top. We paid around $200-300 for this one. The only browser you have is google chrome. Both DH and I love it. We prefer it to our Kindle fire because the screen is bigger and has a full size key board.

I have been reading posts. I have not had much time to reply because working and yesterday went to an all day workshop whose topic was of all things the pros and cons of our technological age.

Some of my fellow teachers love the quote, "Don't let perfection be the enemy of good"

:heart: MNMargaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,356 Member
    Options
    Good morning from a rainy Hampshire! ;)

Katla - so pleased for you that you are seeing your lovely family. :flowerforyou: I don't sleep well with guests in the house either.

Abbey - you have had a lot to deal with. Are you getting help from some kind of group?

Carol - I'm thinking of you and your daughter. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia - good thinking on the safe house and all the legal stuff. Don't we just wish we could fo it for them. <3

Jan - sad times. I hope the funeral goes well and brings back happy memories. :flowerforyou:

Kim - have a great party!

Heather Mac - oh my goodness! What a lot of troubles! I hope your DH is getting lots of aftercare and counselling. Hard for you. <3

Cynthia - sending good wishes to you and your dog! :flowerforyou:

Barbie - great news on Jake! :flowerforyou:

Viv - thinking of you and your husband. Any news? :flowerforyou:

Any one I have forgotten who is suffering, please forgive me. :ohwell: There seem to be so many of us with BIG troubles right now. :cry:
    My back is still sore, but I am gradually upping my exercise. Still no weight training though. With a stricter calorie limit I think I have lost a pound. :smiley: Yesterday I took no painkillers, but I have today.
    I made mincemeat for mince pies and now have to sterilise the jars. Do you have mince pies in the States? They are a sweet mixture of dried fruit, apples, spice and suet in small pastry cases with lids. It is the first time I have made it as I don't really like it and the bought ones are very sickly sweet. Homemade are much better, but only DH will be eating them. I only made enough for 3 jars of mincemeat and may still give one away. Baking the Christmas cake today.
    Squid stew this evening. Love it. <3

Off to make lunch. Much love to all.
    Hesther in gloomy and rainy Hampshire UK

27681614.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    off to rake some leaves.. then maybe mow part of the lawn
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Thanks once again for all your kind comments and expressions of sympathy. Services for Gin are tomorrow.

Sylvia.......I'm happy your son is on the path to escape---now, if he can just follow through and hold on to his resolve to get that hateful woman out of his life, we know so many go back again and again. Kudos to you for your guidance, love, and caring in all this too; I'm hard pressed to come up with a more upsetting stressor!! I do feel bad for the child stuck with her. The apt. manager being aware of the situation may be worth something down the line legally.

Viv.........Thinking of you and your DH; fingers crossed.

terri_mom......Have said something close to your life insurance remark......told dh his stone will say.......DNP.........did not participate.

Vicki........Congrats on being assertive enough to take the time off from volunteer work that you need.

Kim.......A massage.......mmmmm......I'm overdue!!! Good luck on your dinner, hope it's smooth sailing!!!

Barbie.......YAY for Jake's good medical report!!!! Bet you are throwing some happy moves in that line dance today!

Heather mac.......Wow, lots of sad/ awful things going on with you........ Post head injury patients can sometimes exhibit anger as a result of the injury. Best to you with all you have to deal with.

Katla.......Sorry you are getting ill!

Beth........Chin up! Most of us have been or are right there with you.

Off to gym. We were in the mid-80's yesterday; supposed to get sharply colder. I'm still getting those little orange tomatoes and quite a few green ones on the vine yet.

Stay strong!!!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!

Hesther - My ancestors are from Germany, and we had mincemeat pie when i was a child, but I don't think that tradition was passed down, as very few of us enjoyed it (I did, but I wasn't willing to learn at the time).

Heather - I wish you strength with your DH and his anger. I hope you can both take care of each other and yourselves, and get the assistance you both deserve.

Joyce - i bought my laptop from tigerdirect.com after shopping around and choosing the model I wanted at BestBuy and other stores. Saved a few hundred dollars, but still spent plenty. Good luck making a decision.

Abbey - so sorry for your loss and empty nest. I hope you are able to find friendship and healthy alternatives during this difficult time.

Tonight is High School bowling team try-outs. DS is hoping for Varsity, and DH will be a coach, but doesn't yet know which team he will get.

DD is in a manic state right now, and worried about her BF. I hope i have her settled down alittle, and understanding that not all men will "gush" all the time, and that a level of comfort can be a good thing.

We had a "flood" of the dishwasher, and still dealing with water under the tile (my socks get wet if I step on a crack). Insurance company told us it is not covered, so I better start tearing up the tiles to avoid more mold until I have time to shop for new tiles and someone who can install them.

Hugs all around.

Terri in cold and windy Milwaukee Wisconsin
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. It was a quiet night last night, just hubby and me at home with the dogs. My son took the kids to the park for a picnic and to let them play for a while before going back to the apartment. He said they didn't hear a peep out of the evil stepmother, so hopefully things will start getting better for him. He got paperwork at Safehouse yesterday to get a divorce started. It's horrible that it came to this, but he's handling it better than I expected. He's focusing on protecting the kids and never letting her have another chance to hurt them. I sort of worry about her living downstairs and them having to walk past her to go to the elevator every day, though. Still, I hope she moves soon. The kids are still scared to go home.

Poor Bruno was pouting last night. He stayed on the sofa next to the window looking outside. I really believe he was looking for the kids. He wouldn't come sit on my lap or anything. He had so much fun when they were staying over, and I think he missed them. I watched the ball game last night, which ran past my bedtime, so this morning I'm really sleepy. Gotta get up and move around or I'll fall asleep. I hope you all have a great day.

Sylvia

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Here is yesterday's joke of the day:

:)

Three engineers and three accountants were traveling by train to a conference. At the station, the three accountants each bought tickets and watched as the three engineers bought only one ticket.

"How are three people going to travel on only one ticket?" asked an accountant.

"Watch and you'll see", answered an engineer.

They all boarded the train. The accountants took their respective seats, but the three engineers all crammed into a rest room and closed the door behind them. Shortly after the train departed, the conductor came around collecting tickets. He knocked on the restroom door and said, "Ticket, please".

The door opened just a crack and a single arm emerged with a ticket in hand.

The conductor took it and moved on.

The accountants saw this and agreed it was a quite clever idea. So, after the conference, the accountants decide to copy the engineers on the return trip and save some money (being clever with money, and all that). When they got to the station, they bought a single ticket for the return trip. To their astonishment, the engineers didn't buy a ticket at all.

"How are you going to ride without a ticket"? said one perplexed accountant.

"Watch and you'll see", answered an engineer.

When they boarded the train, the three accountants crammed into a restroom and the three engineers crammed into another one nearby. The train departed. Shortly afterward, one of the engineers left his restroom and walked over to the restroom where the accountants were hiding. He knocked on the door and said, "Ticket, please."

:D
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have been slogging thru years of paperwork in the office/junk room. I have two huge boxes of stuff to shred. I still have more to sort thru. It is tedious but at least I am getting it done. Today I go back to the doc to get the all clear to go back to work. I have to because I can't afford any more time off. It has been good. I am feeling better and I think I can handle things when I go back. At least I hope I can.

Have a great day.
    Robin, Bodi and Ritter in the PNW
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I’ve been off on a trip down too-much-food-and-second-serving lane for the last couple of weeks. I brought the scale out this morning and weighed my food. A start! (I refuse to weigh myself just yet, however.)

How do you all feel about the changes to MFP? I still find them off-putting.

I miss the tickers. Seeing mine was motivating. Seeing others’ told me who had a similar amount of weight to lose and who had achieved success. I also miss having “My topics.” I’d be surprised if participation didn’t drop across the board.

Kim, a massage sounds…..wonderful. Bliss. I can almost feel it.

Barbie, good news about Jake. I’m so glad.

Yanniejannie, warm hugs to you on the loss of Gin.

Viv, I’ve missed you. I’m sorry you and DH are facing tough challenges. I hope you get good news. Hugs.

Terri, my sister was diagnosed with RA more than a year ago. She is taking meds for it (biologics) because she learned that treating the pain and inflammation helps prevent damage. There are some risks (with and without doing anything - isn't that always the way!)

In the meantime, anti-inflammatories sound like just the ticket. I learned recently that Curcumin (supplements - containing Peperine to increase effectiveness) is a great natural inflammatory, as effective as Ibuprofen, without a lot of the side effects. Who knew?!

Curcumin is the active ingredient in Turmeric, which is used heavily in India. India (has the lowest rate of Alzheimer’s in the world (awesome!!). UCLA and other good university med centers have been studying it extensively – with very encouraging results so far.

Sylvia, I just got a glimpse of your son’s troubles with his nasty ex and saw that things ae starting to get on track. What an ordeal. I hate when children are exposed to such misery. Hugs to you as well – and best of luck to your son with the legal aspects.

HeatherMac, you have a lot of challenges. I’m sending lots of hugs today, and am sending them to you too. I hope your husband isn’t taking his anger out on you in a physical way. That would be intolerable no matter the reason. Mental abuse is not a joke either. I’m glad to see that you’re taking care of yourself. Good job.

Robin, I’m glad you’re feeling better.

Heather, I hope your back continues to improve.

Today’s goal is to get some exercise.

The saying, <b>“Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good,”<\b> stays in my mind. I appreciate that saying!

Mimi
    <3
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    clearly, the example of BBCode on MFP's Wiki link doesn't work. I'm using their bolding now, with square bracket. That works. I'm not changing the post though because I like the saying so much.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

<3
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy hump day!!!
    hugs
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! Fall is here and I love it. Going to walk home today as is my short day and enjoy the beautiful colors. My eating last evening was BAD. No reason just kept eating. Today is new day so beginning again. How could I do so well for months and now I just can't keep it going. But not giving up.

Kim--Hope all was worked out at your dinner. Some people just do not know how to say "I'm Sorry"

Barbie--Great news about Jake, so glad it went so well.

Heather Mac--Welcome. Sounds like you have alot going on right now. You are smart to take care of yourself. You have found a great group for support and friendship. Come back often.

fit-abbey--Welcome, come back often and we are here for you. I am an stress-emotional eater also. Remember you are not in this alone.

Katla--Hope you are feeling better. Also of stuff going around. Hope you can enjoy the DD and DGK's while they are there.

Heather--glad your back is getting better one day at a time. I have never had mincemeat. Not sure I would like it. Sure nice of you to make it for DH, but then we all do that for those we love. Make things we don't like.

Sylvia--Glad things were better last night. Sure alot to deal with. Love the joke.

Robin--glad you are feeling better. Take care of you and take it slow.

Looks like the sun is shining and I am looking forward to taking the long way home so get a good walk in. Sounds like the next couple days will be cooler. Sounds like cold and winding for Halloween. I am planning to go out with a couple of the DGK's. They like the idea that I will go walking with them. I do enjoy seeing the little ones dressed up.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. Sorry I have been sick and not here to cheer you on. Plus this is my most crazy busy time of the year. I'll try to be here more! Take care, Meg
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Mimi (and everyone else) - Thanks for thinking of me and my RA. This is how it was explained to me: Migrating RA means I only "flare" in 3-4 joints at a time, and the damage should take longer to occur, so Biologics will come some time in the future, when it gets worse, or takes over more joints. I take Plaquenil and Alleve, and try to keep moving as much as possible. So far I only have 2 crooked knuckles, and the Doctor where I work gives me cortisone a few times a year if I ask. But I am always willing to try a more natural approach, so I will try acupuncture soon, love massage, and will buy some Curcumin the next time I am at the store (I assume I will find it at a Health Food Store?).

I truly wish I enjoyed, and could tolerate, more exercise, so I whine about my lack of exercise too much. If I can find a way to distract my mind from the pain, I last much longer. Plus, I am aware that the less I weigh, the less stress will be on my joints, and the more I will be able to exercise, so I need to keep my upward spiral moving upward.

I CAN DO IT ! ! ! (especially with everyone's help) :)
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey Everybody! I've have been away but look to chime again soon! :D Looks like some things have changed I had a hard time finding the page.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,356 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yeah Tere! :flowerforyou:
    Press the outline star at the top of this page. Then pressing the grey star next to the bell will take you back to us! (*)