WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2014

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic ... the clothes fitting ... I am feeling "fat" right now as I'm not doing well with the calories/exercise. But when I was shopping today, ended up buying a size smaller than I thought I would. And yes, it's a little more form fitting. The bigger sizes would just give me permission to fill them ... so I went smaller.

Mary ... so sorry for your DIL ... she is lucky to have you in her life.

Beth
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Starting over ... again ... sigh.

Beth, we all make mistakes and blow a day or two occasionally. No need to start over; just get back on track. I worry about the "start over" thing because it seems so overwhelming. Sending good wishes your way! I’m glad that you are able to buy smaller sizes. :bigsmile:

Terri in Milwaukee WI: I hope the floor problem is resolved quickly. Getting things dry will surely help, but what a lot of work! :flowerforyou:

Robin: Good luck! I hope the doctor visit is positive & return to work goes well. :flowerforyou:

Mimi: We’ve used turmeric as a food additive to improve things from time to time, although not recently. I’m happy for the reminder. :flowerforyou:

Kim: I’m sorry you were not looking forward to your gourmet group because of your last experience. It sounds like there is one disagreeable woman involved. I hope she doesn’t spoil it for you. :flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I’m glad that Gin’s memorial service went well. Your idea of supporting a cancer charity is an excellent tribute to her. :flowerforyou:

Donna from www, (wet western Washington): Daughters can be frustrating. :ohwell: I hope you enjoy your walk and get rid of some of the stress. :flowerforyou:

DD and the grandkids are here and there is a little kid Halloween parade scheduled for this evening. I have my riding lesson then, so Grandpa will go with DD and DGD to the parade, assuming it stays dry. Have a great day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Vic, so sorry about DH diagnosis. I know it wouldn't make any difference at all if I said not to worry until you all see the oncologist. It is totally natural to do so. Just use this time to research, decide what questions to make sure you ask. You might even think about taking sown one who isn't as c,overly to the situation to go with you. That person isn't be able to remember what was said when you leave the office. My sister had breast cancer. She was determined to just let go, let God take her home, all that. We al convinced her to at least do one round of treatment. She has now been cancer free for close to 10 years. She is so glad she listened to her family. I am not saying that every case is like hers. But cancer care has improved. Know that all your family here is with you through all of this.

I am learning lot reading about some of your experiences about different lap tops. I messaged my son in law who is the Apple geek. He. Asked me what I normally do, what sites I go to on my laptop. I really don't do as much on either of my computers that would warrant $800 or more for an Apple. I guess where I need to stRt is to take my laptop to a shop, maybe Best Buy, to see if it can be charged. MYbe it is just the cord.

Joyce, Indiana
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, just got back from the workshop. Someone asked what exactly it was. Well, it was about learning how to use knives properly to cut vegetables. A cutting workshop. Knife-technique workshop. What the heck would you call it? :D Had a lot of fun and learned a lot. I'm going to be practicing!

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    smiley-happy093.gif Donna, I do most of my walking before 8 AM and at this time of year nearly all of that is in the dark. I prefer early and dark when no one is out because I walk dogs and it's better with no distractions (cars, people, other dogs). I have a lot of outerwear for cold and rainy days so that the weather is never a reason for me to stay home. Some days I come home after a two hour walk soaked to the skin and put on a whole new set of clothes for the rest of the day.

smiley-happy002.gif Where we live now we never get trick-or-treaters but before we moved to this house, we got several rolls of quarters to give to kids so we didn't have to worry if there were left-overs.

smiley-happy002.gif Robin, good luck on your return to work....just stay in the moment.

smiley-computer004.gifAlison, congrats on the wifi

smiley-happy002.gifHeather, congrats on your NSV.

smiley-happy110.gif Kim, I agree that we don't need any energy drainers in our lives....life is too short to waste.

smiley-happy110.gif smiley-happy026.gifThis has been a good day with dog walking, line dance class, fish tacos prepared by my awesome DH, Jake, more dog walking, and some time on the computer.
    smiley-computer004.gif

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

October Resolutions
    *walk 18,000 steps a day
    *act the way I want to feel
    *strength training twice a week
    * write the letter to my friend that I've been putting off too long (I finished this and sent it off---I am very happy)

146200.png
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Just got in from taking youngest daughter to dr for stomach issues,put her on medicine for acid reflux.
    HUGS
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    "Michele in NC" When I was with Tom Venuto on his Inner Circle he said to use Katch McArdle as I knew my weight and BF%, that gave a BMR of 1850 and NOT to eat below that. Dietitian advised 1600 to 1900 calories, Chemist said use HarrisBenedict and BMR there is 1571. Threw hands in air. Calorie calculator calculated my food calories at 1712 to 1752 for weight loss. Today is 1714 with 484 cals exercise.

Having salad and egg for breakfast and salad and tinned fish for lunch my food cals were around 1400 (below BMR) and 1 hour walk = 321 cals.
    Yesterday I had Jeannette Jenkins' buck-wheat pancakes with banana and blueberries, today I had smoked salmon 1 egg Benedict. Weight went UP this morning due to sodium being above 1500 recommended by Jeannette, need to keep that in check again
    Back to salad and egg tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday. Ordinary Jjeannette breakfast Wednesday.
    I see dietitian and doctor next Wednesday and doctor will be pleased. cannot do more that 2 days on salad and egg for breakfast

Today I am doing Jeannette's Cardio dance for 40 mins and 1 hour walk this afternoon (raining so rain mac needed and maybe no doggy)

Determined Lesley in Tasmania
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    good evening from chilly Omaha. DD#2 is being induced on the 5th and apparently she thinks it's a party because she has invited a ton of people to be there. What fun...I will be the birth coach if you can call me that; she never did get to childbirth education classes and I would have gone with her, so I am totally in the dark! BF is planning to be there too. I had nearly 11,000 steps today just from clinical, so I'm tired and going to bed. I'm glad you all are here; I think about you tons and hope you are all doing well. Take care, Meg
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Lesley: I may be missing something, but wouldn't it be possible for you to eat consistently at a certain net calorie level for a few weeks and see what your body does? Then you'd know to adjust a bit up or down.
  • lee134
    lee134 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

weight.png

Hello everyone . My goal for Nov is to lose at least 12 pounds.
  • lee134
    lee134 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My name is judith . From Macon , Georgia .
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,888 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Got called to work today and the manager called and the two patients we were supposed to have in the pools both went home so I just worked on the computer doing a mandatory inservice.

I got a thank you note today from a little girl in Omaha. She is a friend's great niece and last weekend was her 8th birthday. She is horse crazy and wrote a report for school on horses. Her family was here to celebrate and we made arrangements for her to come out to the stables to brush, feed and ride my horse. Her first ever experience with a real horse. She was really excited about that birthday present. Such fun to be in a position to do that for her!

Viv - Good, positive thoughts coming your way.
    -
    Joyce - I absolutely love "Breath of Heaven" It is one of my favorite songs. Enjoy singing it.

Heather - Nice NSV!

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends ~
    Viv: Sorry to hear about your DH diagnosis. Hugs.

CynthiaT60: A food cutting workshop sounds intriguing. I don’t like chopping food, and that is probably because I’m doing it wrong.

Grandmallie: Hope your pain subsides quickly and naturally. Take care.

Beth: Good self-awareness is key to making change. I look forward to reading your posts about success with your regime.

Mary: Sorry about your DDL. I hope her family comes around. Shortly after we got married my DH ‘divorced’ his family, and honestly we have done better without the toxicity that infused that relationship.

Dr. Katiebug: Belated happy birthday.

Kataniki: Bravo on rocking the size 16 dress. I know what you mean about fit. As I continue to lose inches, I invest in alterations so I can look and feel my best in work attire.

Carol: Bravo for staying clean in the face of your great stress over DD and job #2.

Donna: I share your strategy of keeping Halloween candy unopened. I’ll keep mine in the bag until tomorrow night. Hope to give it all away.

Robin: So glad you are getting better. Will hold good thoughts for you as you return to your job 7 pounds lighter!

HeatherMac: Prayers for your mom.

Heather: I love decorating but have never had the nerve to try wallpaper. Hope you will be thrilled by the results. I’m currently working on replacing hideous vertical blinds in my living room with a patterned curtain on dark wood rod.

Kim: Reading your post I see a woman who is evolving and making healthy choices in all phases of her life. Bravo.

YannieJannie: I’m sorry about your loss of Gin. Kudos to you for providing the opportunity for tribute gifts that will go on to help others.

Barbie: Glad Jake is feeling better and well enough to cook for you! Fish tacos is one of my favorite meals.

Lesley: Your determination is inspiring. Sounds like you are truly unlocking the right alchemy to achieve results.

Meg: Oh my! The 5th will be here in a blink. I think DD is lucky to have you as her birth coach. Deep breaths for both of you.

Sue: How lovely to have introduced a young girl to horses. You have changed a life.

Another month is almost gone. I am carrying two pounds more than I had at the beginning of October, but other than that, I am happy with progress I have been making. Last weekend was spent with young nieces and nephews who all knew me 20 pounds heavier. I saw pictures from one of the parties, and was pleasantly surprised to see my face had no extra chins. I had fun without over indulging, and the exercise opportunities were excellent as we were all at a high end mountain resort. In fact, the outside swimming pool was exquisite and I was able to get in 30 minutes of vigorous lap swimming with the morning sun on one side and snow-capped mountains on the other. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

Stay well. Stay strong. I am cheering you on.
    Rori in the Colorado foothills

October goals and progress to date
    > Minimize consumption of alcohol to two servings per week = B. Switched to a smaller glass and only consume half a serving per day.
    > Register for and attend 50% of Master's swim course = C. Got in the course but was out of town for all but one session this month.
    > Once a week, call someone just to say hello = A-
    > Make plans for how I will use up my remaining paid vacation days = B. Still have more days to allocate between now and Dec. 31st.

Word for 2014 = Release

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Oh, I'm in trouble now! I went to a dinner with hubby's chemistry group, and we ate at an Italian place. I had pasta with olive oil and garlic with grilled chicken. The pasta was WAY over cooked, there was WAY too much garlic, and the chicken was almost non existent. I ate about a third of it and took the rest home. Hubby left with the group to attend a lecture and I was to drive home in my car. Well, I HAD to get the taste of that garlic out of my mouth, so on the way home I stopped at the local ice cream store for my twice a month ice cream scoop. When I parked, I saw a sweet little dog in the parking lot, looking scared and hungry. I petted him a little and talked to him, then went inside to get my cone. When I came out he was still there waiting for me! I gave him some chunks of my ice cream and he gobbled it up fast.

What could I do? I couldn't leave the poor little guy out there to get hit by a car or starve! So, I opened the door to the van and he hopped right in. My studio was close, so I stopped and grabbed a handful of dog biscuits. He truly acted like he was starving.

So, at this very moment he is in my back yard. Bruno is trying to teach him to use the doggie door. I don't know how hubby will react. My plan is to post his picture on the found dog web sites, put up some flyers in town, see if he is microchipped, and check with the humane society to see if he was recently adopted. They post photos of available dogs at the mall, and I could swear this little guy looks familiar. He wasn't wearing a collar at all, and doesn't seem to understand being inside. He's really sweet, and Molly and Bruno seem to love him.

Here is his picture with Molly.

udes6sr69xjj.jpg

Anybody want a dog?

Sylvia
  • hiphop10
    hiphop10 Posts: 135 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Happy Halloween!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    He's completely adorable; certainly a unique looking fellow.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr of Jari Love's Extremely Ripped DVD today. Tomorrow the plan is to go to the Y and do some HIIT

Joyce - one song that I love at Christmas time is "Mary Did You Know?"

Viv - I am so so sorry about your hubby. If hubby doesn't want to eat, you might look into giving him one of those nutritional drinks. He, more now than ever, needs good nutrition.

Cynthia - never heard of a food cutting workshop? What's it like?

Exercised, then went to the Green room then Aldi but I was surprised at how many things they didn't have, stopped at Bob Evans since they were playing Rummikub but I didn't realize that first they were having lunch and THEN playing. There was no way I could (really, wanted to) spend all that time there so left early and went to WalMart.

Mary - I agree with you, there is no way I could cut off any one of my kids. I may not agree with their choices and it may hurt me some of the choices they make, but I would NOT cut them off

kataniki - congrats on the 16 regular. Doesn't something like that make you feel so good? What a bargain you found at that health food store! Good for you not eating anything! Don't worry, I have some of those goodies, but then I give a lot away, too.

Carol - I do hope you don't have to quit your job. Wasn't the weather today just gorgeous?

Alison - how I wish you lived near me. There is a lady in Newcomers who is giving away a treadmill if someone will pick it up. Honestly, I've never had a desire to have a treadmill. I use the one at the Y

Donna - one of my plans for Halloween candy is that any that is unopened will be returned to the store. If it's opened, Vince can finish it or else it'll be donated to the soup kitchen. We usually get between 50 and 60 kids. When I'm giving out the candy, I intend to have a big bowl (maybe even 2) of popcorn for me to munch on

Heather Mac - prayers for your mom (and you all)

Terri - have everything crossed for your son

Heather - woo hoo on that NSV! What a great compliment

Kim - so happy to hear about your NSV

Jan - a donation to the local cancer care center is so wonderful of you all to do

Donna - I'm sure a walk will do you worlds of wonder

Beth - good for you going to a smaller size!

Cynthia - I'd love to learn how to cut up veggies by (hope I'm explaining this right) curling my fingers. Glad you had such a good time

Meg - hello grandma!!! Poor dd doesn't know what she's in for giving birth!

Judith - welcome!

Sue in SD - how nice of you to give that girl a birthday she'll never forget

Rori - Vince complains that I give out too much candy to the kids. Well, I don't want it in the house! Bet that curtain of yours will be beautiful! You must post a pic of it

Sylvia - what a big heart you have! What a handsome fellow you have there

Well, roasted another butternut squash. I'm on a butternut squash/spaghetti squash kick right now. Then made some more of the low fat cornbread muffins (thanks for the recipe, jb) and didn't realize that I really didn't need to make them just yet. Then I made a meatloaf. Almost forgot but then remembered and we went and saw these Halloween decorations. Now these I was impressed with. Came home and made some more of the tofu/cocoa mixture. Trying to get ready for tomorrow. The plan is to have a BIG bowl of air popped popcorn on the table for me.

Michele in NC
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have this habit. I want to kiss babies. I am like a politician or something. The fact that they are my grandbabies must be of secondary significance. Naturally.

:D

Renny
    who had a massage after work today, which was awesome. And then went and kissed some babies, which was also awesome.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Jan that is wonderful what you did with the money that was donated. Her family is happy and the cancer care center will benefit.

Sylvia, that dog is just to precious! I'm sure your fur babies would like another sibling!!!

Sue, it is so nice that that young girl wrote a thank you note. She has either been taught well or has a Mom or Grandma that told her to do that.

Michelle messaged me tonight while she was at work. She would like to bring her new beau over to meet us. HMMMM, she never brought over any others except her ex husband. But he was so needy he might have insisted on it. That guy really needed a family. But we have been working today so much on cleaning out the laundry room. I can even smell it now when I am in the kitchen. Yesterday it was only smelly down stairs. So I went in the laundry room to assess the situation. If you remember, when the problem was first discovered Charlie was cussing a lot of banging around and I leave him completely alone to handle whatever problem he has. To start out, he had put all the clothes that had accumulated on top of my folding table. As he sopped up water he put those on top of everything on the table! He did put some things in the dryer but didn't wash them first. He said that he thought the problem was because of some sewer back up and he just put them in the dryer!!! :'( so I had to wash those, I washed them twice. So all my good table cloths I use for my family dinners were part of what was on the table. Everything that was dry, I just stood and said keep, throw away. So now I have about 3 more loads to do of the keep pile. Also some of what was white and wet are now stained. I hope I can bleach them. He emptied some of what was in one of the throw away piles in the trash can in the kitchen. So now that area really stinks!

So I made sure to tell Michelle to prepare new guy what our house smells like!!! She said she only wanted to bring him over and not have him go to supper with him so that Charlie wouldn't create a scene if her didn't like something about him. Prayers are needed.

Joyce, Indiana
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement - they are much appreciated <3

At least we know his heart is fine (even if the rest of him is falling apart) early evening DH said his chest felt tight so I called the doctor who advised to call the NHS helpline, an ambulance was sent to do some tests which were all fine but he decided to go to hospital to be checked over by a doctor to see if something could be given to help him breathe easier. Long story short we were there 7 hours yes 7 hours and he was told it is probably the lung cancer pressing against his air sac as his heart is strong and healthy. To be honest by the time it got to midnight (I was starving too as I'd missed my tea!) I was so tired I didn't take everything in that the doctor said.

Today I am waiting for a call back from his GP I need to get his mouth infection sorted out so that he is able to eat, as that is what is stopping him eating at the moment - his mouth is too sore. No more mrs nice guy - I think I now need to get tough!

Sylvia - what a lovely dog surely someone will be missing him? Or maybe it was just fate that you went for ice cream and he was meant for you.

Michele - I have bought some build up milk shake nutritious drinks which he "likes" but he doesn't always drink it all, I have started to put the glass back in the fridge and giving it to him again a few hours later :) I will get some calories into him by hook or by crook!

Quite a mild day here this morning, going to relax now and have a nap, catch up on a few zzzzzzzs seeing as I only got about 4 hrs sleep last night.

Oh there goes the phone, hope it's the GP calling back.

Viv aka Wizzy