Have you seen FED UP - the documentary?

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    After reading through about 80% of this thread all I can think about is how do my kids make it through the line at the grocery store without begging for candy and throwing a fit if they ask and I say no.....?
  • jal92475
    jal92475 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that the documentary has it's own agenda. Sure too much sugar is not good for you. Too much of anything isn't good for you but the rise in obesity is directly linked to the fall in activity in my opinion.

I was in the gym one day and it struck me that my great grandparents would probably find it amusing that people go to a place with equipment to get exercise. They worked in the fields, they chopped wood, they were active! Even from when I was a child, I see a decline in activity.

When I was a child (I'm 39 now), I used to go outside as soon as my mom would let me and I wouldn't come back in unless I was made to. I seriously even pee'd my pants for fear of going inside to use the bathroom would result in my mom keeping me inside and not being able to play with my friends. We roller skated on the street, biked, played town chase, hop scotch. You name it we did it!

Today, I force our 8 and 9 year olds to go outside. If I didn't make them go, they would happily sit in front of their game system, iPod, etc. They look so sad as they put their electronics down and head out the door. Sometimes they even sneak back in the back door a few minutes later to resume their electronic activity only to be shooed back out to play. That my friends is why people are fat!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that the documentary has it's own agenda. Sure too much sugar is not good for you. Too much of anything isn't good for you but the rise in obesity is directly linked to the fall in activity in my opinion.

I was in the gym one day and it struck me that my great grandparents would probably find it amusing that people go to a place with equipment to get exercise. They worked in the fields, they chopped wood, they were active! Even from when I was a child, I see a decline in activity.

When I was a child (I'm 39 now), I used to go outside as soon as my mom would let me and I wouldn't come back in unless I was made to. I seriously even pee'd my pants for fear of going inside to use the bathroom would result in my mom keeping me inside and not being able to play with my friends. We roller skated on the street, biked, played town chase, hop scotch. You name it we did it!

Today, I force our 8 and 9 year olds to go outside. If I didn't make them go, they would happily sit in front of their game system, iPod, etc. They look so sad as they put their electronics down and head out the door. Sometimes they even sneak back in the back door a few minutes later to resume their electronic activity only to be shooed back out to play. That my friends is why people are fat!

As a child, I also was outside all of the time. I still got fat. And you gained weight too.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    This documentary shows individuals who both realize that they need to take responsibility and actually believe that they are doing so even though it is clear that they are incorrect.

The mother of the severely overweight boy comes to mind, as I watched it last night. She declares victory against her struggle by announcing "I buy lean HotPockets now." Next scene is her son's M.D. appointment where she brags they've made positive changes and they were doing terrificly. Dr. informs mother that her son is visibly more overweight than the last time he saw him which the scale confirms. And he's presenting with symptoms of metabolic syndrome by the thickening and darkening of the skin around his neck. Mother doesn't register agreement or understanding. Kid pays the price. Pretty sad.

That is one of the scenes that I was talking about. It's difficult to watch these parents and children attempting to deal with their obesity issues and fail so miserably. This is the real issue, though. The mother in this case clearly believes that she is making good decisions. The doctor told her to get her son's weight under control, and she looked for the products that would help her do that. She took responsibility for the situation. Unfortunately, she lacks the critical thinking skills necessary to realize that switching her son's food to "diet" isn't going to work. In fact, he got worse.

I'm not saying that lean pockets make you fat. They don't. However, the message that these people are receiving is that fat is bad, diet food is good, and replacing your regular food with diet food will solve your problems. If you don't track what you're eating and how many calories you're burning, then you're probably not going to lose weight.

The people in this film think that they're doing everything right. They're eating the diet foods and getting in their activity, but nothing is helping. It's not the sugar, though the film tries to argue that. It's the fact that they aren't tracking their calories and are still ingesting too much. That's not the message that any of them receive, though. They're told to move more and that they're lazy. They're told that if they just pick the "right" foods that everything will be okay. Then when they inevitably fail, the blame is placed on them. I can understand why some of you blame them because you do want to smack them over the head for being so dumb. However, we need to acknowledge that some people really are at a disadvantage when it comes to separating fact from misdirection.
  • jal92475
    Options

As a child, I also was outside all of the time. I still got fat. And you gained weight too.

I didn't get fat until I became an adult and had children. I certainly wasn't a fat kid when I ran outside and played all day. None of the kids in the neighborhood were.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options

Activity levels are addressed in the film, though the part about gym memberships doesn't really provide any conclusive data. Ignoring the half-truths presented in the film, you're still left with the fact that uncontrolled eating is hard to balance with activity. For example, one of the teens in the film goes for afternoon walks in an effort to lose weight. His walks burn maybe 300 calories. If he's eating 301 calories over maintenance, then he's on a slow gain. If he's eating 500 calories or more above maintenance, then things are going to get bad fast.

Instead of telling him to track his food and to incorporate more nutrient-dense food into his diet, he's just told that he's lazy and needs more exercise. That doesn't help.

Overall, I think that this documentary has some interesting observations/facts/etc. Unfortunately, the filmmakers drew the unfortunate conclusion that sugar is the single culprit behind obesity, which is not supported by the facts. It's a hasty conclusion that detracts from the other, more relevant discussions that come from the film. The fact that the final conclusion of the film is biased and short-sighted doesn't invalidate all of the data presented in the film.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I agree with this. It's so strange on such beautiful days, and evenings, we'll be the only family for two blocks who's outside.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I haven't... where can I watch it? I searched Netflix n its not on there.
  • jal92475
    Options

I agree with this. It's so strange on such beautiful days, and evenings, we'll be the only family for two blocks who's outside.

Yes! I know there are a lot of kids in my neighborhood because I see them walk to school during the school year but in the summer months and in the afternoons after school, barely a soul to be found outside playing. We bought our kids a trampoline for Christmas and that is helping them get outside.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

There are social factors in play here. The fact that mothers are not home to watch the neighborhood is part of the problem. Those were more innocent times when you didn't need to fear that the teenage boy living behind you was a pedophile in the making. (The molestation of young children is the number one reason for teenaged boys being incarcerated.) I agree that lack exercise is part of the problem but those who have the means make sure that their children get plenty of safe exercise (did you know that there are "Cross-Fit" classes for children?). Obesity is becoming a mark of poverty just as it used to be a mark of wealth in the past. (Queen Elizabeth I, died with a bloated body and blackened teeth from eating too much sugar. )

The real problem is chronically high blood glucose. Eating too much sugar is just one influence--although a powerful one. Lack of exercise is another (although consuming sugar in itself can cause sluggishness). And eating too much in general is another (and sugar has a role here because of the way it is metabolized--just as alcohol does).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Activity levels are addressed in the film, though the part about gym memberships doesn't really provide any conclusive data. Ignoring the half-truths presented in the film, you're still left with the fact that uncontrolled eating is hard to balance with activity. For example, one of the teens in the film goes for afternoon walks in an effort to lose weight. His walks burn maybe 300 calories. If he's eating 301 calories over maintenance, then he's on a slow gain. If he's eating 500 calories or more above maintenance, then things are going to get bad fast.

I think activity is more significant than this. Kids don't just walk, but ideally run and play very actively. We certainly did. Similarly, I'm sure my grandfather ate lots more bread and potatoes and heavy calorie food than I did when I was gaining, and yet I got fat and he never did. Part of this is that I'm smaller, true, but I'm sure a big part is that I had a sedentary lifestyle when I gained (and I've found that becoming sedentary is the main thing for me -- it's when I stopped exercising and stopped walking everything like a good city dweller should that I started gaining), and he was a farmer who did additional physical work on the side.

Also, when we were kids we didn't have an opportunity to engage in "uncontrolled eating," since after a planned snack we'd be outside running around. The two issues are related to each other.
    Instead of telling him to track his food and to incorporate more nutrient-dense food into his diet, he's just told that he's lazy and needs more exercise. That doesn't help.

I don't actually think telling kids to "move more" means they are lazy. In some cases they don't have good opportunities to (inner city schools and recess, for example) or safe places to. But I also don't think the answer for a kid who is sedentary or close to it and able to engage in "uncontrolled eating" to track his calories. That doesn't sound like a good solution for most kids, who need more structure from above and who really aren't interested in a solution that only seems non-burdensome to a minority of adults. (I would have loved the idea as a teen, probably, but I also liked lots of nerdy things, and also was not fat or engaging in "uncontrolled eating" despite the fact that commercials were probably less restricted than now.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes! I know there are a lot of kids in my neighborhood because I see them walk to school during the school year but in the summer months and in the afternoons after school, barely a soul to be found outside playing. We bought our kids a trampoline for Christmas and that is helping them get outside.

This is interesting. I live in an upper middle class city neighborhood, family-oriented, very safe, where the population is probably more into fitness (at least as in avoiding obesity) than the US population on average. Fat people are a lot less common than in lots of other areas (I say this as someone who used to be one of the token fat people), and the many kids (generally elementary school aged or younger, due to school-related issues and people moving to the 'burbs) seem not to have weight issues any more than I recall from back in the '80s. Not like in many other areas of the US, or of this city. Anyway, I see lots of kids outside playing, but the difference is that it's not the unstructured play like we used to engage in, because there's really fewer places for it. It's at a play center or parks or the school playground (which is used by various children's sports groups during the summer), or at least accompanied by a parent (while biking or using a scooter).

I imagine the specifics differ from place to place.

My parents both worked when I was in elementary school, but we lived in a suburban-like neighborhood (technically it wasn't, it was a medium-sized town), and would just go to various homes where a parent was home or play outside unsupervised. That's what I (understandably) don't see in my area.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I didn't see it.

I don't mind that food companies try to make yummy food that people want to eat. I'm glad they do that. If it is sometimes hard for me to skip the Lay's Potato Chips, that's my problem. But I'm glad they're there if I want them.

It would be nice if more people would raise their children on healthy food. It would be good for the kids. But, how other people raise their children is really none of my business.

I wish more Americans wanted low-sodium food. If they did, more food companies would make it and there would be more to buy.

But that's not what people want.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

There are social factors in play here. The fact that mothers are not home to watch the neighborhood is part of the problem. Those were more innocent times when you didn't need to fear that the teenage boy living behind you was a pedophile in the making. (The molestation of young children is the number one reason for teenaged boys being incarcerated.) I agree that lack exercise is part of the problem but those who have the means make sure that their children get plenty of safe exercise (did you know that there are "Cross-Fit" classes for children?). Obesity is becoming a mark of poverty just as it used to be a mark of wealth in the past. (Queen Elizabeth I, died with a bloated body and blackened teeth from eating too much sugar. )

The real problem is chronically high blood glucose. Eating too much sugar is just one influence--although a powerful one. Lack of exercise is another (although consuming sugar in itself can cause sluggishness). And eating too much in general is another (and sugar has a role here because of the way it is metabolized--just as alcohol does).

You've outdone even yourself with this one. Congratulations.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    Yep, the tin foil hat crowd has arrived smh

I actually love these threads. I look at the profile pictures and weight lost tickers of everyone from both sides. Sort of an interesting divide when you start keeping a tally.

Also there are people who set small goals and re-adjust their tickers after they reach that small goal.

Your logic fails in analyzing that group.

and there are people like me whose tickers dont show big weight loss amounts - not becasue we are struggling with weight loss and are still obese - but because we were never obese in the first place and didnt have a lot to lose.

Im not sure how that puts me on the unsuccessful side of the divide :indifferent:
  • Navtendon
    Navtendon Posts: 168
    Options
    10 pages of replies. That means that this topic is actually debatable. Seriously????
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If you search for a villain, you will always find one. Your energy spent searching for a villain, and then countering that villainous intent, is better spent elsewhere.
  • annehutson2
    Options
    I did watch that and I am alarmed that more people don't take it all serious. Many people act like we are being silly when we worry about the food we eat and more importantly still the food we feed our kids. I quit Diet Coke and cut sugar out of my life and I don't miss it,
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I did watch that and I am alarmed that more people don't take it all serious. Many people act like we are being silly when we worry about the food we eat and more importantly still the food we feed our kids. I quit Diet Coke and cut sugar out of my life and I don't miss it,

Your profile says that you love the Dr. Oz show. That speaks volumes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Still, detractors against sugar haven't replied to my question:

How is it that lean people can eat sugar, processed foods, fast foods, etc. and still stay lean? There are lots and lots of people in the WORLD who consume sugar in large quantities and still don't have the obesity issue the US has. We're not even in the top 5 countries in the world for sugar consumption.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-sugar-consumer-countries.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxnld-YfUVM

So really if sugar consumption were to blame, 5 other countries ahead of us should be more obese per capita.....................and they're not.

Quit falling for the hype. Americans are obese because they eat too much. Them's the facts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition